PDA

View Full Version : Gotta question..?

mimi1153
June 19th, 2009, 07:27 PM
I've been a member for about 2 years now (unable to post much because I work and then most evenings we're gone); anyway, question....

My hair is currently TBL :D (my longest, I do believe). I do not have an excessive problem with breakage because of LHC advice on being gentle and oils, conditions, etc. I do not have very many splits either (I dust about 3-4 times a year).

I do trims (2-3 inches) every 6-months and about 1/4" in-between times if I feel I need it.

Whew, now for the problem - ground work done - - my canopy looks awful when my hair is down. I don't wear my hair down - only up and in braids at bedtime - - but I still want healthy looking hair, especially when I have it down to dry after washing, I would like to see healthy hair with a shine. My hair looks dull (yes, I have clarified) and also my canopy hair doesn't "lay" down - it wants to stand out (not like electricity or anything.. just like it isn't "relaxed"...? hope that makes sense).

How can I make it look more healthy and shiny and make it lay right? I look at some of the pics of others and I just sigh! :cry:

Help... should I post a new pic? Would that help, maybe?

Ooops, maybe I should add -- the majority (90%) of my canopy is gray hair!! Go Renegrays!!!!!!

myotislucifugus
June 19th, 2009, 07:51 PM
Definitely post a new pic, but I know what you mean. I totally have that experience myself. My hair looks nice when I let it down for a little while, and then the canopy mats, twists, clumps, gets "sticky foofy," and looks generally hideous. Don't know why, just offering support. Remember, no one puts "ugly" pics up, everyone picks their favorites, so don't be jealous, I'm sure your hair looks just as good.

Fractalsofhair
June 19th, 2009, 07:55 PM
I suggest oil on a brush to lay down the hair. If your hair likes cones, a shine serum might work. My hair tends to go poofy occasionally and it's what helps me. Since you're in the 1 range, you don't need to worry about brushing unlike people with curly hair.

chrissy-b
June 19th, 2009, 08:12 PM
My hair does this too (from what you're describing, though I think a photo would really help). If I take a small amount of oil (just so my hands are slightly shiny) and and just lightly run my hands over my canopy ONCE this usually solves the problem. If I do it more than once or with too much oil my hair ends up stringy and gross.

Cinnamon Hair
June 19th, 2009, 11:52 PM
A pic always helps! :) From what I have read, gray hair acts and looks different from pigmented hair. It is usually more coarse and wiry, which may be your problem.

longhairedfairy
June 19th, 2009, 11:54 PM
Could it be from using a hairband in the same place a lot?

mimi1153
June 20th, 2009, 03:55 AM
No, I don't wear hair bands, plus it's an all over kinda thing. I believe it's what I just read in a post above, gray is just a different texture and kind of wirey. :silly:

mimi1153
June 20th, 2009, 04:00 AM
Cinnamon, I think you've got the problem!~! I do use oil on the canopy daily and also oil the ends (or use Ion leave-on condish) at bedtime. So, I guess I'm stuck. Good thing I wear my hair up. I will post a pic later today so you all can see. Thanks for your help. :blossom::grouphug:

Cinnamon Hair
June 20th, 2009, 03:13 PM
No problem.. wish we could have come up with a better solution to it though. Have you tried asking in the Salt & Pepper thread (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=16951&highlight=gray)? Some of those ladies may not have seen this thread since it doesn't mention gray hair in the title.

Silver Strands
June 20th, 2009, 03:41 PM
A pic always helps! :) From what I have read, gray hair acts and looks different from pigmented hair. It is usually more coarse and wiry, which may be your problem.

I agree with this completely!
My gray hair has a different texture to it than my regular hair and it's a battle.

I have tried to use only natural shampoos and conditioners but the gray is too coarse and wiry to lay down nicely and it's much drier and more frizzy than my normal hair.
It's like having 2 types of hair on my head.

I have to use cone products to get the best results.

joyjoy
June 20th, 2009, 04:39 PM
I have a similar problem with my canopy hairs - the very tips of all the hair that hasn't reached full length want to wander off in whatever direction, scoffing at gravity. Which makes my hair look a lot more dry and damaged than it really is. What helps me is wearing a silk scarf - just folded into a triangle, then tied under my chin like a kerchief, while my hair is drying. This seems to convince a lot of the little tips of the hair to lay down smooth with the rest of my hair.

Or if my hair is dry already, I just wet my hands and run them along the canopy, then put on the silk scarf for 20 mins to a half hour till it dries, and my hair has a lot more shine than before.