PDA

View Full Version : Hair Breakage

kimki
April 9th, 2008, 06:47 PM
I need some help please. :) When I'm examining my ends I find in my shorter top layers that alot of the ends are damaged. They are bent , split or have a little ball in them and they just break off. Quite often I find little bits of broken hair.

Last year I had the whole of the top layer of my hair heavily highlighted for most of the year. I switched to Henna when I found LHC in September. Now I CO twice a week and SMT once a week. Most of the time I have my hair up and the ends tucked away, I oil the ends with shea/coconut a couple of times a week. I don't brush, or blowdry or anything. Most of the time I sleep on a satin pillowcase.

Anything else I can do? Or is it just a matter of patience and continuing with the S&D?

Thank you in advance. :flower:

Riot Crrl
April 9th, 2008, 06:56 PM
Some of it is going to be growing out the bleach, for sure.

What kind of conditioner are you using?

amaiaisabella
April 9th, 2008, 07:12 PM
Maybe a more moisturizing conditioner for your CO?

I would also suggest the Henna and Placenta packet. That will probably give the strength your hair needs to protect against breakage.

Curlsgirl
April 9th, 2008, 07:16 PM
Do you use a leave-in moisturizing conditioner? That has really helped me a lot. I usually use BWC leave-in and love it. There are other good ones though.

Druid of Alba
April 9th, 2008, 07:50 PM
Bleach is *SO* bad for your hair. The hair is basically incapable of retaining moisture after being bleach, so growing out the bleach will be prudent! If you notice breakage on the henna only layers, that is harder to diagnose. Do you use protein on your hair? That MAY be it... there is an article on the site about protein damage... Maybe you just need a bit more moisture. I hope I helped! Good luck :)

Moezland
April 9th, 2008, 10:20 PM
I'm going through the same thing, particularly with the short hairs:rolleyes:. I haven't bleached my hair, but I do have old dye, so perhaps it's finally just catching up with me. I found that my hair tends to break more when it's wet than dry - not sure if yours is the same. Something that I've learned is to up my moisture. I henna too so I tend to avoid protein, but I also just found out that the use of some protein is apparently ok too. For myself though, I think I'm going to try just moisture, moisture, moisture for a while and see if that helps - my moisture will come in the form of a good leave-in.
Sorry I can't give you more advice, but I just wanted you to know you're not alone:flowers:.

jojo
April 9th, 2008, 11:44 PM
I would just continue to s&m and do lots of deep conditionings, its deffinatelly down to the bleach in your hair but as long as you don't bleach again it will grow out before long, have you tried SMT? I love this makes your hair so soft.

ChloeDharma
April 10th, 2008, 12:16 AM
I would just continue to s&m and do lots of deep conditionings, its deffinatelly down to the bleach in your hair but as long as you don't bleach again it will grow out before long, have you tried SMT? I love this makes your hair so soft.

Did you mean S&D? ;)

Bleach is *SO* bad for your hair. The hair is basically incapable of retaining moisture after being bleach, so growing out the bleach will be prudent! If you notice breakage on the henna only layers, that is harder to diagnose. Do you use protein on your hair? That MAY be it... there is an article on the site about protein damage... Maybe you just need a bit more moisture. I hope I helped! Good luck :)

Yeah, bleach is really hard to recover from......was that what you used or was it high lift tint?
I'd step up the oiling, really smother those areas that got fried.....but don't expect it to turn around overnight.....it tends to take time. Also you could try a yogurt mask.....this does wonders even on the fried parts of my hair :)

kimki
April 10th, 2008, 01:57 AM
Thank you for your responses. :)

Riot Crrl I just use a cheap cone free for the CO. Then once a week I normally use a deeper cone free, but still a cheaper one.

amaiaisabella I can't seem to get Henna and Placenta here in the UK.

Curlsgirl Thank you I might give that a go. Problem that I find with a leave in is it makes my fine hair a little lank. I do use a mister with aloe, jojoba and a little glycerine.

Druid of Alba it is only on the lightened area's. But it's not bleach. Think I may have to research more into protein.

Moezland thank you for your support. :) Hope yours improves soon. I notice the breakage more when its dry actually. The ends feel a bit drier on the top areas too.

jojo S&M?? :D Like I said, I SMT once a week, every week.

Hey ChloeDharma, it definatly wasn't bleach your right it was a high lift tint. It was in a hairdresser. Yoguart mask sounds nice any particular yoguart or way to do it? Will it effect my colour, I have seen stuff on people using it to lighten.

Thank you

ChloeDharma
April 10th, 2008, 02:53 AM
I use natural whole yogurt, either goats yogurt or cows yogurt like Yeo Valley....they do a small pot for about 30p. As for how to use it.....well it's something you can play around with really.....maybe try it in your SMT replacing the conditioner with it? Or mix it half and half with conditioner.....ummm.....i like to add it to a herb paste for my hair.
As for lightening, i'm really not sure. I haven't noticed it lighten much, but i did used to notice it take out quite a bit of henna so i generally kept it as a treatment to be done when i was due to re-henna soon anyway.
Actually, i notice a red thing going on with your hair (very pretty) yogurt used to be popular to make a henna gloss.....if henna appeals to you maybe that would be an idea?

HTH hun :)

kimki
April 10th, 2008, 04:46 AM
Thank you dear Chloe. One day I will get round to experimenting with herbs. :D

The little red in my hair is Lush Henna. I keep thinking I should use BAQ. Maybe I should try a Henna gloss with yogurt then. Just intimidated by henna and getting the right colour for me. Until then I'll try it in my SMT.

Thank you. :flowers:

ChloeDharma
April 10th, 2008, 07:28 AM
Anytime sweetie :grouphug:

Well the henna you are using looks really nice....i used lush the first time i tried henna and loved it (except the clove smell which made me nauseous in the end). Don't be too intimidated by henna, it's not so complicated really ;).....let me know how you get on with the yogurt though :)

squiggyflop
April 10th, 2008, 09:09 AM
im experiencing the same problem with breakage... im willing to bet that my length is more damaged than yours is as you only highlighted it.. i used home bleach on my whole head so many times to get the white blond that is nessisary for manic panic colors to be as vivid as possible.. my ends were all weird and melted before i joined.. now even after cutting off 4 inches the bleach damage is still causing my hair to break off all the time.. i think its just a matter of growing out the damage..

spidermom
April 10th, 2008, 10:02 AM
A good way to trim layered hair yourself is to bend forward, make a top of head ponytail, and then slide the pony-holder slowly toward the floor. It will make the ends splay out, and you can lightly snip away the driest, most damaged looking ends.

kimki
April 10th, 2008, 04:11 PM
Anytime sweetie :grouphug:

Well the henna you are using looks really nice....i used lush the first time i tried henna and loved it (except the clove smell which made me nauseous in the end). Don't be too intimidated by henna, it's not so complicated really ;).....let me know how you get on with the yogurt though :)

Aww thank you hun, :flowers: I agree about the lush smell actually, it is sooo strong as well. Tried adding a little lemon EO and peppermint didnt help at all.

I will keep reading up on the henna and let you know when I get the guts. :D

squiggyflop good luck with the breakage, let me know if you find any miracles ;)

Thank you spidermom I will give that a go. :)