PDA

View Full Version : The scent of hair

jera
June 19th, 2009, 02:50 PM
What kind of fragrance do you like for your hair? :)

Usually, I like fruity or floral fragrances like Orange blossoms, Lemon verbena, Rose, and Jasmine, or Gardenia, ( ne of my faves) . But since the weather has gotten warm and the bees are out in force around the borders of flowers at my house, I've switched to Frankincense. :p

This has yummy, exotic scent. My hair smells amazing, and the bees leave me alone and stick to the flowers. :D

In a man's hair, I just like a clean scent. Nothing too weird. But some Italian aftershave lotions smell irristable if a guy's long hair brushes against his face and picks it up.

ladylibra
June 19th, 2009, 03:03 PM
I like the scent of shikakai, amla, brahmi and henna. Some people don't but I find them earthy and comforting. :D

Also like the scent of different teas, and honey and olive oil. They blend well with the ayurvedic things I use. And I've yet to be chased by bees, although sometimes other bugs might follow me. :rolleyes:

fishwich
June 19th, 2009, 03:05 PM
Amber, myrrh, woods & spice mostly, frequently in combination. If it was really expensive a few thousand years ago, I dig it on my hair.

Come to think of it, I need to make up a fresh batch of Hair Smell.

RavennaNight
June 19th, 2009, 03:20 PM
I love coconut smell in my hair. I also like vanilla. Another great scent is BPAL Szepassony, it smells really clean. I like coney conditioner smell too. Sorry :p VO5 Melon smoothie was a yummy scent when I was CO'ing with it.:cloud9:

jera
June 19th, 2009, 03:33 PM
Amber, myrrh, woods & spice mostly, frequently in combination. If it was really expensive a few thousand years ago, I dig it on my hair.

Come to think of it, I need to make up a fresh batch of Hair Smell.

Totally, I love the woodsy frangrance of Myrrh too. ;)

DragonLady
June 19th, 2009, 03:37 PM

Mmmmm Those are my favorites, too. :) When money loosens up a bit I have a plan to go buy some EOs and mix up some custom scents.

Kiraela
June 19th, 2009, 04:10 PM
I'm planning on mixing up a few of my own oils and stuff, too. I think I'm going to go for a blend of jasmine and rose (my favorite!) and maybe a bit of lavender.

ReddishRocks
June 20th, 2009, 12:13 AM
I like warm, exotic scents for my hair. Being a redhead, I even like a little cinnamon or other spice. I like honey scent too. :) I want my hair to smell edible I guess, LOL!

RocketDog
June 20th, 2009, 12:57 AM
I love minty, herby smells for my hair. The shampoo and conditioner I use are scented with a variety of mints. I use a few drops of lavender oil diluted in water as a mist when I'm styling my hair, but it's not strong enough to leave a lasting scent.

ericthegreat
June 20th, 2009, 01:31 AM
I second the coconut scent, I get transported instantly to a tropical beach and I get into a summer state of mind drinking Pina Coladas when I CO with a coconut scented conditioner like Suave's Tropical Coconut.

Heavenly Locks
June 20th, 2009, 01:36 AM
I like to smell like food. LOL Raspberry, melon, coconut, vanilla....

YUM!

misstwist
June 20th, 2009, 01:59 AM
Mostly my hair smells like coconut (conditioner and oil).

But I like hippy scents. I have patchouli scented shea butter that I can't find right now, but really like.

meph
June 20th, 2009, 02:00 AM
I like flowery scents, especially in the warmer months.
I also like food scents, like vanilla. I wish my hair could smell like freshly baked cookies.:inlove:

It's so nice to take your hair down and then get that release of a lovely scent.

scotishlass
June 20th, 2009, 02:01 AM
Hello, Im sorry if this is a very 'newbie' question, but can i please ask how you add scent to your hair with EO, ? do you mix with water & spray?
Ive only used those horrible aerosol sprays you get in places like boots superdrug etc,

x

LovingLife
June 20th, 2009, 02:35 AM
I actually really like he smell of cloves in my hair...
:D:D:D:D

Maud
June 20th, 2009, 02:35 AM
i like lavender and chamomille

LovingLife
June 20th, 2009, 02:36 AM
Hello, Im sorry if this is a very 'newbie' question, but can i please ask how you add scent to your hair with EO, ? do you mix with water & spray?
Ive only used those horrible aerosol sprays you get in places like boots superdrug etc,

x

I dilute mine with some water in a spray bottle!
I sometimes also put some clear unsmelling conditioner in it:cheese:

LovingLife
June 20th, 2009, 02:38 AM
i like lavender and chamomille
I really love lavender...
but its quite expensive, the nice thing about essential oils is the last forever.

LovingLife
June 20th, 2009, 02:39 AM
It's so nice to take your hair down and then get that release of a lovely scent.

Now my hair is longer I use it to calm myself!
Because the nice warm scent helps if i have a headache or something! :o

LovingLife
June 20th, 2009, 02:40 AM
I'm planning on mixing up a few of my own oils and stuff, too. I think I'm going to go for a blend of jasmine and rose (my favorite!) and maybe a bit of lavender.

That sounds heavenly, be sure to let us know how it goes, :cheese:

Almandine
June 20th, 2009, 02:44 AM
I've always favored citrus smells for hair and body, but my new shampoo is made with stout (beer) and the smell is INCREDIBLE. I get comments almost every time I go out and my fiance cannot stop smelling me. It's a new favorite.

Lize
June 20th, 2009, 04:15 AM
I'm not sure, but I like when it smells "clean" (i.e. shampoo). Also coconut, but not only of coconut.. but a touch of it. Right now I use the blue Herbal Essences. I love the smell so much that I don't look at the long list of sulfates... :rolleyes:

LovingLife
June 20th, 2009, 04:57 AM
Imy new shampoo is made with stout (beer) and the smell is INCREDIBLE. I get comments almost every time I go out and my fiance cannot stop smelling me. It's a new favorite.

Really???
Can you make it yourself? :confused:

swanns
June 20th, 2009, 04:59 AM
I guess I just like the scent of clean hair. Although I do kind of wish the scent of my ginger shampoo would linger on my hair a bit longer :) I like the kind of earthly smells like olives, honey and such.

swanns
June 20th, 2009, 05:01 AM
I've always favored citrus smells for hair and body, but my new shampoo is made with stout (beer) and the smell is INCREDIBLE. I get comments almost every time I go out and my fiance cannot stop smelling me. It's a new favorite.

Is this by any chance Cynthia Sylvia Stout from Lush?

carloota
June 20th, 2009, 06:27 AM
I like warm, exotic scents for my hair. . . . I even like a little cinnamon or other spice. I like honey scent too. :) I want my hair to smell edible I guess, LOL!

I agree. I have a small batch of olive oil that has ground cinnamon in it. Sometimes I'll use that to oil my hair, instead of just plain EVOO.

Cherry_Sprinkle
June 20th, 2009, 07:32 AM
I love lavender and vanilla.. I often mix those in my oils :)

desertgirl
June 20th, 2009, 08:08 AM
Thanks for asking this question! I was wondering the same thing!

Melisande
June 20th, 2009, 08:13 AM
My favorite mix is orange and lavender essential oils, for my skin and hair. I like honey, vanilla and cinnamon too. One of my most beloved scents is cassis but it's difficult to find. If BPAL have a cassis oil - I'm lost....

Lemon and lavender is a nice mix, too.

Sometimes I rub American Cream perfume cream (Lush) behind my ears and on the back of neck. Gives a very lovely, sweet fragrance.

Bunnyhare
June 20th, 2009, 09:38 AM
Mmmmm Those are my favorites, too. :) When money loosens up a bit I have a plan to go buy some EOs and mix up some custom scents.
I really like the scent of myrrh and ylangylang...

Speckla
June 20th, 2009, 10:23 AM
I really don't like to have any scent on my hair. I don't wear perfume and try to find hair products that don't have much scent to them. I mostly smell like babypowder because of my deodorant.

kwaniesiam
June 20th, 2009, 10:27 AM
Minty, herbal smells. I love the smell of my CV bars and Giovanni TTTT conditioner.

bakertwins2004
June 20th, 2009, 10:30 AM
I recently bought some fragrance oils to make my own scents for my hair and body. I am excited to test em out.

I like such a wide variety that I prefer to go with my mood and get lots of oils and scent according to the mood and day.

Rohele
June 20th, 2009, 11:01 AM
Right now, I'm really enjoying the scent of cloves in my hair. I like warm spicy scents.

x

I mix EOs with jojoba oil and use it to oil my ends.

Aries_jb
June 20th, 2009, 01:01 PM
I love the scent of coconut in my hair also! My absolute favorites are floral scents like rose, lavender, honeysuckle, etc. It makes me feel so pretty and feminine. I also like aloe scents on my hair. To me aloe=fresh and clean.

On my fiance, well, he shaves his head bald, but he has this shampoo with tea tree in it and I love the way it smells on him...so minty and herby.

nowxisxforever
June 20th, 2009, 01:13 PM
I actually really like he smell of cloves in my hair...
:D:D:D:D

Me too! Whenever I henna I mix in a bunch of clove powder so that my hair smells like cloves for WEEKS! :cloud9:

jera
June 20th, 2009, 02:40 PM

Ha ! I'll bet he does keep his nose in your hair if it smells like beer. :D Your hair is totally awesome, BTW. :eyebrows:

Natalia
June 20th, 2009, 02:51 PM
I like florals (my new love is ylang ylang) citruses (not lemon or lime though, lemongrass is fine though), and a few spicy scents like ginger. I also like ones like rosemarry that lend towrd camphorus/medicinal. For some reason thats comforting like vicks for a cold :). I prefer to blend like last night i did lavender and ylang ylang becase i was stressed, PMSing, and needed sleep. Worked like a charm and i got to try a new combo!

ETA: Also for some reason i LOVE the smell of sawdust or alfalfa. General barn scents :p i used to love the drive home from where i volunteered so the car could fill with those scents :). I dont know how much other people around me liked it but i did :D

VanillaTresses
June 20th, 2009, 02:56 PM
I like hair to smell slightly spicy, like Aubrey Organics Island Naturals conditioner.

Camee
June 21st, 2009, 10:16 PM
I'm a fan of coconut and florals, particularly roses. My mother has an extensive perfumed rose garden. I've just started using a mix of rose water and camellia oil for when I need a tiny bit more frizz control

Krystyle
June 21st, 2009, 10:28 PM
I had a small vial of honeysuckle perfume oil that I used to wear in my hair. My husband loved it and I loved it. People always gave me compliments on it. I ran out and couldn't find the stuff anymore. Boo hoo. Carol's Daughter has Black Vanilla shampoo that I love the smell of and would love my hair to just always smell like but my hair doesn't love it and it leaves my hair a bit dry and tangly. Sigh.

hennaphile
June 21st, 2009, 11:08 PM
So many! I've been enjoying Aubrey's primrose smell :cloudnine: but I love rose, frangipani, flowers... anything good :D

Themyst
June 21st, 2009, 11:17 PM

Hey there! What is this shampoo? Do you buy it? Do you make it? :confused::)

Bene
June 21st, 2009, 11:57 PM
i love anything citrus scented; lemongrass, orange blossom, etc...

C_Bookworm
June 22nd, 2009, 12:00 AM
Hey there! What is this shampoo? Do you buy it? Do you make it? :confused::)

I second that question

AnnaMarie
June 22nd, 2009, 12:45 AM
I love vanilla, coconut, apple, cinnamon and honey :pI love to smell edible.

sycamoreboutiqu
June 22nd, 2009, 01:17 AM
Sandalwood, or Sandalwood-Rose. The combination of wood and floral just works great. One of my accidental, yet favorite mixes is Sandalwood & Lily of the Valley. I call it Wood Nymph in my shop.

PS - Krystle - I have Honeysuckle perfume in my shop, message me if you want info - I can't figure out how to message people on this board (not possible perhaps ?) >>I had a small vial of honeysuckle perfume oil <<

jera
June 22nd, 2009, 01:37 AM
I had a small vial of honeysuckle perfume oil that I used to wear in my hair. My husband loved it and I loved it. People always gave me compliments on it. I ran out and couldn't find the stuff anymore. Boo hoo. Carol's Daughter has Black Vanilla shampoo that I love the smell of and would love my hair to just always smell like but my hair doesn't love it and it leaves my hair a bit dry and tangly. Sigh.

I love the fragrance of honeysuckle too. Especially in the summer. :)

Blue Willow
June 22nd, 2009, 01:52 AM
I've this special violet scented shampoo that I use occasionally, its the closest thing to perfection, I've ever known :)

free_hug
June 22nd, 2009, 06:31 AM
When my scalp gets slightly greasy, it starts smelling something like walnuts. Really. After smelling some of the boys (and some friends, girls mostly) from closer, i realized i'm not the only one. Also, this natural smell of hair has a solid fan base. I also had to realize i'm in it :)

free_hug
June 22nd, 2009, 06:33 AM
And for a "normal" comment: well, my conditioner smells like honey, and so does my hair for a day after a CO wash. I like that too - there's no other non-typically-hair scent i love on hair as much as honey! But still, natural smell just takes all the trophies.

LovingLife
June 22nd, 2009, 10:34 AM
I really don't like to have any scent on my hair. I don't wear perfume and try to find hair products that don't have much scent to them. I mostly smell like babypowder because of my deodorant.

Thats a really comforting smell you know! :cheese:

LovingLife
June 22nd, 2009, 10:34 AM
And for a "normal" comment: well, my conditioner smells like honey, and so does my hair for a day after a CO wash. .

I LOVE HONEY!!! :D:D:D:D:D:D

Sorry, had to get that out there,
I feel as if it doesn't stick though.

Firefly
June 22nd, 2009, 10:48 AM
Oh I am loving this thread-- so many great ideas! I am a woodsy/spicy gal, so I like sandalwood, cedar, rosemary, frankincense and lavender, to name a few.

rovylern
June 22nd, 2009, 11:04 AM
If I bother with scent, I almost always go foody or fruity. I have a pretty decent BPAL collection and a drop of that rubbed between my hands and smoothed down the length (not that there's much of it yet, ha!) is usually good for the day. My daughter liked to wear Sweet Orange EO on her length for a while, but we've fallen out of the habit since her latest schoolteacher was allergic to so many scents.

lambhair
June 22nd, 2009, 01:14 PM
Coconut is a huge favorite, but I live in a household of coconut haters :( so I try to go light on it...Vanilla is nice too but my favorite is cinnamon-clove-nutmeg kind of spice scent. Extra good if its on freshly henna-ed hair! Once I tried LUSH's "H'Suan Wen Hua" hair treatment and loved the smell of it soooo much, but at the time I was sad that it seemed to pull some of the henna out of my hair-now that I want to lighten my henna a bit I might go back to trying it again-either way the smell was wonderful...like a vanilla pumpkin spice latte!

zen_oven
June 22nd, 2009, 01:23 PM
Whatever it is, I like it to be a light scent. I don't like strong scents anywhere on my body, let alone in my hair. I mostly just like to smell clean, but my tastes in conditioner seem to run toward the floral or lightly fruity. I like coconut and other "nutty" scents sometimes, and I enjoy cinnamon. Lavender and chamomile can be really nice too, as long as the lavender isn't overpowering.

I like men's hair to smell like. . . them. It may sound weird, but I feel like every man I've been involved with had his own unique smell that I enjoyed, so I never like it much when men wear any kind of strong cologne.

Nyghtingale
June 22nd, 2009, 02:07 PM
Anything but henna, I do hate that smell. I can't even eat broccoli anymore, lol. But I wouldn't trade the color for anything.