PDA

View Full Version : Length vs Thickness (with pics) POST#2

abritta3
June 19th, 2009, 11:59 AM
Hi all! Yesterday I posted and I got mixed answers on whether or not to cut my layers to one length or to keep them for length's sake...
I thought about it all last night and thought that monthly trimming would be a possibility. That way, I would be gaining length and also evening up my layers at the same time.
I am confused by that process though. My hair grows approximately a half inch each month (the average) so should I cut half of that half an inch each month? Haha, I am so confusued!
Here is a picture I took this morning with damp hair:o(embarassed by the ends)
My hair was NOT thick enough to even need layers in the beginning...I don't know WHAT I was thinking. From looking at this picture though it looks like I would have to cut up to my shoulder to get everything thickened back out.
http://img190.imageshack.us/img190/4593/1020347t.jpg (http://img190.imageshack.us/i/1020347t.jpg/)

[img=http://img190.imageshack.us/img190/4593/1020347t.jpg] (http://img190.imageshack.us/i/1020347t.jpg/)

I just think my ends look horrid...I got these layers back in January.
Some advice please?

Spike
June 19th, 2009, 12:05 PM
Ok, so if you grow a half inch per month, cut one quarter inch per month, or a half inch EVERY OTHER month.

This will let you keep some growth while you get rid of the layers and dodge the big chop.

That's my plan for next year, when I should be growing from armpit to BSL. Trim half an inch off the bottom layer once a quarter, then use Feye's self-trim method to whittle away at the remaining layering as it grows. I believe this will let me enjoy my hair for a longer period of time; I'll have the length to do styles with it, and be plucking away at the layering which inhibits styling at the same time.

eshta
June 19th, 2009, 12:24 PM
Do you put it up a lot or wear it loose most of the time? I personally wouldn't pay much attention to the ends now if you wear it up a lot. Plus tapers make for easier bunning. Cutting half of your growth also gets rid of layers, just very slowly.

If you wear it loose most of the time and the ends bug you and you don't need them for up-dos, try cutting half of the layers off and see how that looks and feels. Not to much lost length and you can always cut the rest off.

I did the half of the layers chop not to long ago and love it, but I had more length to begin with.

Fillette
June 19th, 2009, 12:58 PM
I agree with what has been said so far. If you wear your hair up a lot, don't mind the ends too much. Hide them in updos and trim them off slowly as your hair grows.
If, however, you do want a drastic change, I would suggest that you cut no more than one inch. You'd be amazed how much difference a 1/2 inch or 1 inch can make. Then, if your still not satisfied, you can always cut more.

Heavenly Locks
June 19th, 2009, 01:03 PM
First, it doesn't look as bad as you think :) Second, I don't think you need to cut it at all really. Keeping it up in updos will be easier with some length...you can always trim later ;)

jivete
June 19th, 2009, 01:12 PM
Your hair is very similar to mine. I'm trimming just a little and the ends are thickening slowly, but not quickly enough to combat the breakage. So basically the micro-trims are just keeping it from looking really bad, but I still haven't gotten rid of my layers.

Here's a picture from Sept 2008 before I started trying to micro-trim.

http://i532.photobucket.com/albums/ee322/jivete/LHC/Sept_30_08_1.jpg

And my avatar is more current. My plan is to get more aggressive with my trimming now that I have a little more length. My hair was never thick enough for layers either.

If your hair is less damaged than my length is, I imagine the micro-trims would make a bigger difference.

manderly
June 19th, 2009, 04:23 PM
For what it's worth, I don't think wavies/curlies have solid hemlines. I think it's just the nature of the curl to make it look like it's somehow thin.....unless I should somehow feel bad about my own hair. :shrug:

Your hair looks just fine to me :)

Teacherbear
June 19th, 2009, 05:47 PM
I think, if you can't decide what to do, then don't cut. I like to stick to the 2 week rule. It isn't really a rule. It is just a guideline to help reduce impulse cutting. The way I use the rule is I don't cut my hair until, for 2 weeks, I have wanted the cut. If, at any point in that 2 weeks I enjoy my hair at its current length, then I have to start over with the 2 week rule.

That being said, I understand the desire to even up the ends. I would think trimming *up to* 1/4 inch per month is reasonable. That gives you a little growth, and a little thickening of the ends.

I love your hair's color, by the way. I also really like your natural curl/wave.

SpecialKitty
June 19th, 2009, 05:53 PM
You have very pretty hair, abritta3 - color, wave, and shine are all great. I wouldn't cut if I were you - just let it grow. Having thinner ends is a bonus for updos - it is much easier to tuck in your ends that way :agree:

Bene
June 19th, 2009, 06:16 PM
i thought i gave a do both (grow and thicken) answer :(

Furiana
June 19th, 2009, 06:37 PM
In the meantime, here's a couple tricks I just learned to give the bottom layer more volume, so it looks better filled out:

- Fingercomb the bottom layer only to break up the curls, giving you more volume in the ends/bottom layer only while keeping the definition elsewhere

- Apply less or even to product to the ends, so that they clump less

Give it a shot and tell me how it goes! I don't know it it'll work with anyone's curl pattern but mine. (Or even if it'll work more than once on my own!) :)

vindo
June 19th, 2009, 08:01 PM
Good news, 0.5" is above the average 0.4". The reason why many refer to half an inch is because it is the rounded up number of the original 1cm ;)

And I think cutting half of it is a good idea.
Monthly is good because everyone knows how even the lightest trim can change the way your hair falls...so you will get that monthly.
Also, at your length it surely really only is the layers that cause the thinning, meaning the top layers will grow down thickly and with your texture little bit of fairytales look nice too.
And each trim they will vanish a bit more and more while on top of that your hair will grow slowly and evenly.
I can imagine you will be very satisfied after a trimming phase.
And you can always stop if you want to grow more again :p

ericthegreat
June 19th, 2009, 08:28 PM
Abritta, IMHO you should definitely not do anything more than a light dusting of your ends. Your hair is beautiful, I truly intuit that you would absolutely hate yourself if you take off say two or even three inches off in order to catch up to your shorter top layers.

Take the suggestions of all the previous posters above me, this is the perfect opportunity to experiment with messy knots, French braids, hair clips and other fun ways to pull back your hair while you are growing out your layers.

Cinnamon Hair
June 19th, 2009, 11:49 PM
With your waves it still looks nice even having layers. The ends look fine to me. I would either not cut at all, or trim 1/2" every 2nd month.

KnightsLady
June 21st, 2009, 07:23 AM
I've just done a 3" cut to get rid of layers/splits and wish I'd had the patience to do it Emichee's way (really missing the length). She has had impressive results with her trimming plan.

gmdiaz
June 21st, 2009, 07:32 AM
Your hair looks really pretty! Since you don't have issues with damage or split ends, I'd hold out and just let it grow.

At MOST, I'd trim off a dusting. . .but if you think you'd be happier with trimming a bit more, don't go more than 1/2" to 1"

liseling
June 21st, 2009, 08:14 AM
I was in a similar position to yours recently - I wanted to get rid of the dyed ends that I had and get it all to one color.

What I did was just keep growing without trimming until the imaginary "cut line", where I'd want to cut my ends off to, had grown to the length where I'd feel comfortable having my hair end. Then I cut off all the dyed ends, which probably took off about 6" or so.

I liked this way of doing it just because when my hair is pretty long both before and after the cut it doesnt seem like such a big difference, even though it was a whopping 6 inches. If I'd had to cut to my shoulders to get the 6" off then it would have seemed like a much bigger loss to me.

So I'd advise to grow it longer before cutting the bottom off - especially since it seems like there's no damage or anything that you'd want to get rid of right away.

psvzum
June 21st, 2009, 09:20 PM
I think your hair looks pretty with the layers : ) But, you don't and that's what's important. Since it's the ends that are bothering you, maybe give them a trim and see how it looks?