PDA

View Full Version : Corn Rows? Braided Extensions?

GlassEyes
April 9th, 2008, 06:36 PM
My hair's been driving me crazy lately. It's damaged, it's a pain to brush, and I'm generally frustrated and want to chop it all off into a nice neat little pile of black curls. Grrr.

So, to avoid doing that, I'm debating getting cornrows or braided extensions. My mom has offered both to me, the former being because the summer's hot and I'm frustrated with putting my hair up (front layers are a pain in the a**). My only concern is that they'll pull too hard and I'll get alopecia or cause damage to it. Either way, I don't want to cut it. I just want it out of the way and not concern myself with it for a while.

I've even been toying with cutting it off and relaxing. Not a good sign. I must be going insane.

So, do you think I should go for it?

Naluin
April 9th, 2008, 06:54 PM
I, too, have been toying with the idea of relaxing my hair or putting it in braids to avoid chopping in frustration.

I've had braid extensions before and my hair didn't suffer any damage from them. I think that, as long as you make sure whoever is putting in your braids isn't putting them in too tightly, you should be fine. Go for it!

My own way of determining if braids are too tight: If my scalp hurts from the tension of the braids pulling at the roots of my hair, the braids are too tight!

coppercurls
April 9th, 2008, 06:57 PM
About once a year I get braids (Micros) and have not noticed any damage afterwards. You just have to make sure your hair is in good shape before hand, find a braider who doesn't pull too tight, & moisturize good while your braids are in. HTH:)

BiggHair
April 9th, 2008, 07:20 PM
About once a year I get braids (Micros) and have not noticed any damage afterwards. You just have to make sure your hair is in good shape before hand, find a braider who doesn't pull too tight, & moisturize good while your braids are in. HTH:)

I agree with this. When I was growing out my relaxer I wore cornrows with extensions. The braids gave my hair a break from styling while allowing me to grow out the damaging chemicals. The lady that did mine never did them too tight. Keep your hair and scalp clean and moisturized and you should be fine.

Druid of Alba
April 9th, 2008, 07:44 PM
Well, I have straight hair, so I may not really know what I am talking about, but from what I have seen, cornrows seem pretty tight, and as if they would only be good for a few weeks. Any longer would be to harsh on the scalp. Can you not tie your hair in a ponytail? Anyway, just don't cut it, it looks so nice! :) I hope I helped a bit.

Riot Crrl
April 9th, 2008, 07:52 PM
Well, I have straight hair, so I may not really know what I am talking about, but from what I have seen, cornrows seem pretty tight, and as if they would only be good for a few weeks. Any longer would be to harsh on the scalp. Can you not tie your hair in a ponytail? Anyway, just don't cut it, it looks so nice! :) I hope I helped a bit.

After a few weeks, you have regrowth, and then it's not so tight anymore. I think a lot of people leave it in until they can't take the regrowth, then rest it for like a week, then get braids again.

GlassEyes, out of the above options I would go with simply braiding, and I agree with making sure to find someone who won't do it too tight. Pulling too tight when braiding will just break anyone's hair.

jamisonlcloud
April 9th, 2008, 08:10 PM
I've worn braids most of my life and there really hasn't been any damage to my hair. I think you have to be wise about who does your braids and make sure they don't make them too tight, but for the most part, braids can be very beneficial. Braids can definitely help one over a period of awkward hair growth. My only other suggestion is that you keep the hair moisturized while braided, and try not to wear your braids longer than 8 weeks...

GlassEyes
April 10th, 2008, 02:53 AM

I can't without the aid of too many bobby pins that pull on my hair.

And thanks to everyone. I'll probably just get it braided; that way I don't have to worry about caring for the extensions.

ChloeDharma
April 10th, 2008, 03:01 AM
Hopefully he wont mind me saying......but i remember Ricky22 mentioning that he found cornrows good for growing out natural hair.
I'd just echo what everybody else said and advise making sure they are not too tight. If you do have braids, maybe you could use that as an opportunity to keep them heavily oiled? Like a nice long heavy oiling treatment :)

FroandBeyond
April 10th, 2008, 06:38 AM
Cornrows can work. Just make sure the braider doesn't style them tightly. I had a excellent braider and when I told her to loosen up, she would. Also, I know a few people that wear their cornrows for 2 months a time. Not really sure how they do it, however, they do have alot of hair because of it.

young&reckless
April 10th, 2008, 10:48 AM
Have you tried those elastic head band that ar just large pieces of fabric? They can be a godsend when my front layers refuse to stay back. Same for bandanas or such, but since your 17 they may be banned from your school so you may want to check your handbook first.

MadPirateBippy
April 10th, 2008, 07:36 PM
Go for it!

Braids and extentions can be fun and help you during the summer.

Alaskanheart
April 10th, 2008, 08:19 PM
I had cornrow braid extentions last year for my wedding.I have fine hair and I didnt see any damage, When I took them down my hair was sooo shiny from the sebum though.

I think it is a good break for your hair if your frustrated about it.

Like everyone else says make sure they arent too tight, and get them done by someone who you trust or have gotten a refferal from someone you trust.I think you said your mom will do them for you?Thats great!

The alopecia can happen from a long time of wearing them without proper breaks. Dont keep them in for longer than 6-8 weeks at a time, and wait at least a week before getting them done again.

The biggest reason why I only kept my hair in for 4 weeks was because I skimped on the hair, and It was tangly and ugly by then, but I would have went 8 if the hair was better.

The cool thing about your texture is that you can get the whole head done and protect all of it.I had to leave the top out to hid the weave.

post pics if you decide to do it. I think your natural hair is beautiful though!

wonderlywroughte
April 10th, 2008, 08:34 PM
I used to do braids in my older brother's hair. He'd have me redo them every few weeks, and his hair gained a lot of length while I was doing that for him!

angelthadiva
April 10th, 2008, 09:09 PM
I don't have anything new to add; I have had my hair micro and box braided several times over the years...I usually do it twice a year or so. The first time I had a "braider" do it, I had extensions put in, but I really didn't need it...All the times after, I just used my own hair. I think the less maintenance of the braids helps with hair growth, but the same can be said for any updo...The less you mess w/your hair (bushing, washing, styling, exposing it to the elements) the better.

redneckprincess
August 27th, 2010, 02:39 PM
im thinking about getting something like this done, but I dont know where to go or how much something like this would cost. Or how long they would last

Qwerty Uiop
August 27th, 2010, 07:34 PM
I had them done on my 2 1/2 year old because he was getting a lot of breakage at the name of his neck and I was sick of people asking me when I was going to cut the undamaged part to "match".

They would have lasted a lot longer if I had gotten him a satin sleep cap or pillowcase and if he was an adult instead of an active, wiggly boy. I took them out after three weeks more because I was afraid they would dread than because they looked bad.

Even that short amount of time was enough that he looks fantastic with it loose now!

I had it done at a Reggae festival by a braider who has a lot of experienced with mixed hair and tiny kids. She only charged me $25. An adult would have been $60. She recommends leaving the braids in for up to six weeks.

When I've cornrowed my own and my daughter's, I never got more than two weeks out of them. When I cornrow my son's myself, I'm lucky to get three days.

christine1989
August 27th, 2010, 07:38 PM
That sounds like a good option- much better than getting it chemically straightened. At least braids you can take out when you get bored with them. Some people have even had faster growth with braids pulling on the roots of their hair for a few months.

redneckprincess
August 27th, 2010, 09:12 PM
6 weeks!!! Wow, I'm convinced I must look into this, I'd like to have some extention pieces added into the braids to help make them look longer, but not sure my color can be matched well???

Qwerty Uiop
August 27th, 2010, 09:29 PM
Don't match it! My son's extensions were red, green, and yellow since it was a Reggae festival.

:)

redneckprincess
August 29th, 2010, 06:00 PM
i suppose that would work, just go close to the color huh?
but do they look good on cacuasion girls? or do they just look silly, because i dont want to look silly, just truely hide my leingth for a couple months.
(the extra added length would just be a bonus :)

lesbia
August 30th, 2010, 03:03 AM
I want braided extensions. I think it's the best way to wear hair in the summer.. next summer, when my hair will be (i hope) around hip I want do them! I can't wait!! :D

Sagi1982
August 30th, 2010, 10:25 AM
I've braided cornrows with fake hair (kanekalon) in last year - it was a pain to do and looked good only a few days.
I don't know if I want to do this again...