PDA

View Full Version : Hair in the vacuum brushes

Curlsgirl
April 9th, 2008, 06:33 PM
Wow! I wondered why the vacuum wasn't working very well and looked at the brushes underneath and I never SAW so much hair! It was enough for a nice thick long wig! Good grief! First the drain and now this! At least this wasn't gooky, smelly and black though :eek:

Shell
April 9th, 2008, 06:48 PM
Everyone in my family has long hair, we literally have to clean out the vacuum after vacuuming each room! It's gotten ridiculous, and frustrating. I hate carpet. Luckily half of the house is hard flooring and there are no brushes to clog up. Geez, what a pain.

EdG
April 9th, 2008, 06:49 PM
That's just part of being a longhair. :)

I manually remove hairs wrapped around the beater brush after every other vacuuming.
Ed

lulabelle
April 9th, 2008, 08:28 PM
We have that problem too! One time all the hair got built up in there, and I was amazed at how much there was. I kept cutting and pulling it out but there was just more and more!! I usually try to pick up all the hair before I vacuum but with 4 longhairs living here it doesn't seem to do much good!

AJoifulNoise
April 9th, 2008, 08:57 PM
Everytime I clean my room, I must also clean the vacuum. It collects a lot of hair. Mostly because I do all of my hair styling in my room. If I don't clean it, the other occupants get upset with me...

paulap20
April 9th, 2008, 09:03 PM
Yeah I couldn't figure out why my bagless vaccuum wasn't doing so well and one of the filters had hair wrapped around it.

Kittee
April 9th, 2008, 09:05 PM
Bwahaha I am a vacuum slayer. You must have missed my thread...http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=1325 ! Go, have a good laugh. =)

Shirlpunzel
April 9th, 2008, 09:13 PM
I also make it a point to clean out the vacuum after each room (at least, lol). It's important to do so when vacuuming any place with hair and such - it doesn't just slow down the vacuum, from what I understand, it can also ruin the motor.

oh - and if pulling out hairs by hand becomes too much of a PITA, there's always scissors
(the one time scissors near "my" hair doesn't cause a nervous reaction ;) :silly: )

AJoifulNoise
April 9th, 2008, 09:27 PM
oh - and if pulling out hairs by hand becomes too much of a PITA, there's always scissors
(the one time scissors near "my" hair doesn't cause a nervous reaction ;) :silly: )

Yeah, I use scissors. If I try to pull the hair out by hand I get cuts on my fingers. shudder:

spidermom
April 9th, 2008, 09:35 PM
Oh yeh. Ever notice how split to pieces that hair is? My next home will have NO carpeting.

Shell
April 9th, 2008, 10:13 PM
Oh yeh. Ever notice how split to pieces that hair is? My next home will have NO carpeting.

Me too--that's my dream house!

LifeisAdventure
April 11th, 2008, 01:52 AM
First the drain and now this! At least this wasn't gooky, smelly and black though :eek:

Haha, Curlsgirl! You've totally reminded me of the household chore I've been avoiding for about a month! It's going to be nasty when I finally get around to it.... EEWWWW!! *squeal!*

Curlsgirl
April 11th, 2008, 08:55 AM
Bwahaha I am a vacuum slayer. You must have missed my thread...http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=1325 ! Go, have a good laugh. =)I saw that after I posted this one!!!! Bwahahahahahahahahahah!!!!

(the one time scissors near "my" hair doesn't cause a nervous reaction ;) :silly: )Funny but watching DH cut through that thick hair in the brushes made me CRINGE so I guess I DO still have a nervous reaction! I was like OHHHHHHH NOOOOOOOO I was growing it ouuuutttttttt! HA HA!

Haha, Curlsgirl! You've totally reminded me of the household chore I've been avoiding for about a month! It's going to be nasty when I finally get around to it.... EEWWWW!! *squeal!*Sorry! HUGS!

sweetkandi
April 11th, 2008, 09:13 AM
I HATE the sink! :mad:

1nuitblanche
April 11th, 2008, 09:22 AM
I have to admit, I'm not a big fan of carpeting based on the vacuuming alone. I find it hard to actually get the hair out of the carpet, then I have to get it out of the vacuum afterwards. (Complain, complain, I know... I'll stop though! See? No more complaining.)

kc
April 11th, 2008, 09:47 AM
My daughter and I both have long hair and my vacuum cleaner looks just like that. I have to use scissors and also pull on the hair to remove. Welcome to the world of long hair!

Deborah
April 11th, 2008, 10:31 AM
Something that works better than scissors to remove hair from the vacuum brush is a 'seam ripper.' This is a small tool that people who sew use to cut out stitches that are not right from the fabric. You can buy one at any sewing store or at Wal-Mart, and they are quite cheap.

It's blade is much smaller and thinner than the blade of your scissors, so you can cut the hair off more easily, and you can reach all of the hair.

AJoifulNoise
April 11th, 2008, 10:35 AM
Something that works better than scissors to remove hair from the vacuum brush is a 'seam ripper.' This is a small tool that people who sew use to cut out stitches that are not right from the fabric. You can buy one at any sewing store or at Wal-Mart, and they are quite cheap.

It's blade is much smaller and thinner than the blade of your scissors, so you can cut the hair off more easily, and you can reach all of the hair.

I tried that and it didn't work for me... Maybe my hairs are too thick? It nearly killed the seam ripper! :ponder:

az_sweetie01
April 11th, 2008, 12:07 PM
Oh yes, this scenario is all too familiar....I actually have to take the vaccuum appart. I know it sounds silly but, I can't get my fingers in to clean unles the whole brush is taken out of the vaccuum!! I hate doing it but, I can manage to go a couple of uses without issue these days. I always know when it's time because I can smell my vaccum belts working waaaayyyy too hard :)

rx queen.
April 11th, 2008, 03:24 PM
ooh, this is one thing i should've added to my post in this thread (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=2902&highlight=long+hair). it's a dead give away ;)

Jean Stuart
April 30th, 2010, 07:28 PM
I hate it when that happens

Altocumulus
April 30th, 2010, 07:53 PM
I've killed a vacuum cleaner too. Shopvac FTW!

Flynn
April 30th, 2010, 07:58 PM
I envy your vacuum cleaners. Do you know how much of a nuisance it is to be trying to chase all these bits of hair with a broom? Aaaargh! At least you can clean a hairball out of a vacuum cleaner!

DBF sheds like crazy (it's okay, it grows back just as fast), and it'd driving me insane! There's even enough hair in the end of the bed to sell for hair extensions, and that's after only a week! I don't even know how it happens; he's a curly, and his hair stays tied back between washes. No combing, nothing.

I'm used to dealing with my own hair... but I don't shed much.

Also, yes, I can tell what's his and what's mine. His is coarser, darker, and the curl pattern is much more consistent.

Amraann
April 30th, 2010, 08:07 PM
I've killed a vacuum cleaner too. Shopvac FTW!

I was so going to post this exact same thing!

I have killed more vacuums then anyone I know.
Between my hair, my daughters and my golden retriever... a vacuum has no hope in my home.
We even killed one in our last home that was tile throughout.
A shop vac is our only option.

BlueMuse
April 30th, 2010, 08:35 PM
And here I thought you were going to talk about getting your actual hair caught in the vacuum. Be careful vacuuming under the fridge. I lost a 6in chunk at least.

Amraann
April 30th, 2010, 08:37 PM
And here I thought you were going to talk about getting your actual hair caught in the vacuum. Be careful vacuuming under the fridge. I lost a 6in chunk at least.

Oh I have done that too. I managed to save my hair by turning off the Vac and slowly unwinding my hair.

BlueMuse
May 1st, 2010, 12:02 AM
Unfortunately mine ended up ripping. Glad you could get yours out though.

Amraann
May 1st, 2010, 12:12 AM
Unfortunately mine ended up ripping. Glad you could get yours out though.

Ouch~~
I get mine stuck in all kinds of odd places,, ( that is the topic for another thread :)

FrannyG
May 1st, 2010, 05:54 AM
My hair isn't even that long and I have that problem. Of course I have a dog too, so that doesn't help. I have to check the roller bar after every vacuuming, and remove the hairs and fur. If I didn't, my vacuum would be dead by now.

I can't even imagine if and when my hair is as long as yours!

Liluri
May 1st, 2010, 06:19 AM
With My long hair, the medium haired cat and a short hair cat too, I have to regularly clean out our vacuum. I use some nail scissors and chop it all off so I get to use my Dyson for longer. It's like saying thank you for taking all that dust, and hair, away from my house :) (You should see our dust bunnies of DOOM!)