PDA

View Full Version : short "wurly" hair style tips?

smerrie
June 19th, 2009, 09:07 AM
I am trying to grow my hair out - obviously haha - and right now it is about 18.5 inches and just past my shoulders. I have been straightening it for about 5 years now, and I really thought that it hadn't done much damage to my hair. However, when I was looking at old pictures the other day, I couldn't believe how gorgeous and dark my BSL hair looked in 2002! I blow-dried back then, but that was it, and my hair was so thick and pretty compared to now.
Since then I have done highlights, dying, color stripping, LOTS of blow-drying and straightening (well, every day), and my hair is showing it!

I haven't worn my hair completely natural since I was about 13 though, and I am kind of at a loss of what to do with it to make it look nice and still keep my natural texture.
My hair is very fine, kind of curly underneath, wavy on top of that, and the top layers just have a slight wave.

What can you guys tell me about adding fullness, and enhancing my texture so that it actually looks decent? :confused:
Thanks so much!!

Rohele
June 19th, 2009, 09:51 AM
You sound like you are just about in the same place as I was when I joined about 6 months ago. My hair sounds similar to yours, except it's curlier on top and straighter underneath. I've got lots of heat styling and dying damage to deal with too.

Some things that helped me were: switching to CO washing - the CO method really helps tone down frizziness, not touching my hair while it was drying, and also using a product to enhance the curls (gel, curl creme etc.).

Many curlies/wavies will not comb after drying (I do, but that's just personal preference on my part, my hair doesn't seem to get horribly poufy if I comb).

Methods like plopping, or scrunching or twirling the waves/curls can help enhance them as well.

Check out the wurly and curly thread as well - there's lots of information in there too.

smerrie
June 19th, 2009, 10:01 AM
Thank you for the tips, and by the way, your hair looks stunning in your photos!

With the CO - do you ever use shampoo at all? I am also on accutane, so I am already battling dry hair, and I recently bought a conditioning hair mask that I use as my every day conditioner to help with the problem. Occasionally I only use that, and no shampoo, but I usually straighten afterwards.
Today I didn't, and my curls turned out pretty nice! I am just wondering if it would start to get greasy after a while if I don't use shampoo at all?

I saw the wurly/curly post after I posted this one - oops! But I did start reading through the other one as well.
Thank you for your tips!

Rohele
June 19th, 2009, 10:23 AM
Thank-you for the compliment! :)

When I was CO washing I would shampoo about once a month to remove buildup. I was using a lighter condition for the "washing" part and then using a heavy conditioner on the ends, which would seem to build up over time. I've noticed my hair is less greasy if use the CO method (I've recently gone back to shampoo to see if some scalp itching/shedding issues I've been having recently were maybe due to CO washing. My hair is suffering :( - the roots get greasy really fast when I'm using shampoo.)

Jae6
June 19th, 2009, 07:35 PM
i hate to admit it, but IME it's the CUT that makes the difference in making wurly hair look good while growing it out. maybe try and find a texture-friendly hairstylist who can give you a good transition cut. sometimes cutting the right layers in helps the cause. (check out naturallycurly.com for wave/curl-friendly stylists in your area; hopefully there are some)

other than that, i 2nd checking out the wurly/curly thread (it's so long i've been slowly hacking away at it for months now, LOL). also naturallycurly.com has a forum to check out, too (a lot of the wurly/curly posters post on there, too)

sorry i don't have much more to add. hths tho!