PDA

View Full Version : Can some please tell me about SLS/ASL etc etc

Jenny.Wren
June 19th, 2009, 05:05 AM
I'm really confused about SLS/ASL and all the other chemical abbreviations out there (the nasty ones).

I've tried searching and getting confused as to what ones are bad and those which are ok to use.

I'm trying to find a shampoo which wont irritate my scalp so not too sure what to eliminate from the ingredients.

I've been suffering an itchy scalp so thought I'd go down the organic/natural shampoo route so bought an SLS free shampoo but when I received it, found it contains sodium coco sulfate so now I don't know if I should be avoiding this?

Please help, I'm confused :confused:

SHELIAANN1969
June 19th, 2009, 07:19 AM
SLS is short for Sodium Laurel Sulphate, I believe ASL is short for American Sign Language. :D

I can't use shampoo with SLS because it makes my scalp very dry and flaky and .....well, just hideous! :(

I am an promoter of using ASL though, I grew up next door to a school for the hearing impaired, I have lost a lot of the language, because I haven't been around anyone who uses it in a long time.

Sodium Coco Sulphate is made from coconut oil, and isn't as harsh as the chemicals in SLS.

Michele
June 19th, 2009, 07:25 AM
You probably mean ALS, ammonium lauryl sulphate. Which is known for being even more agressive than SLS.

Madame J
June 19th, 2009, 09:23 AM
What has been said is good info. Unfortunately, if you have a sensitive scalp, the only thing you can do is eliminate ingredients until you find something that doesn't bother you. I would suggest reading ingredient labels really carefully before you buy something. Sodium coco-sulfate is coconut-derived, but still a detergent, and some people still have trouble with it.

The problem with "organic/natural" beauty products is that the label is not well-regulated, so anyone can put anything in their shampoo and call it "natural," really. You may want to try a soap-based shampoo bar and vinegar rinse to see if that helps your issues. I use JR Liggett, but that has a lot of essential oils that could cause irritation if you have allergies. You may also consider the possibility that SLS is not your problem, but instead you have a fragrance sensitivity. SLS is not inherently "bad" to use, but detergents can over-dry the scalp.

If you contact Ida at Chagrin Valley Soap, she may be able to point you in the right direction of a shampoo bar of hers with low potential for sensitivity. If you have very dry hair and scalp, the calendula and castile baby soap bar may be a good place to start. If you have more questions on Shampoo Bars, check out "The Shampoo Bar Thread" in the Conventional Products forum.

MandaMom2Three
June 19th, 2009, 09:37 AM
I have begun to avoid ALL sulphates and my hair has thanked me for it. I can't really say how my scalp feels because I hennaed less than a month ago so that takes care of any scalp problems for a while :shrug:

teela1978
June 19th, 2009, 09:47 AM
Honestly, I only have scalp issues if I'm not using a SLS or ALS based shampoo. When I start using some of those coco-sulfates or coco-beatine based shampoos I start getting little pimples and sores... Everyone's scalp is different :shrug:

Then again, natural shampoos with the less-harsh sulfates tend to have more herbal extracts, so it could be some herbal oil or extract in those types of brands that gives my scalp issues. My personal theory is that its best to find something that makes your hair look alright, makes your scalp feel healthy, and stick with it.

Has anything worked on your scalp in the past (and think way back, like to childhood, what did your parents/siblings use)? That might be a good place to start. I think that when you're allergic to something in shampoo it ends up being pretty difficult to figure it all out. Good luck.

dancingmegs
June 19th, 2009, 11:51 AM
First of all, sulfates are not necessarily "nasty ones." lots of people use them happily with no negative results.

But if you have a bad reaction to them, as many do, just switching to a "natural" shampoo might not do the trick. Most commercial shampoos have surficants (I can't for the life of me figure out how to spell that!) of some sort. I know that the Aubrey Organics line is soap based, and doesn't have them.

You might want to try an alternitive method of washing your hair, such as conditioner only, or shampoo bars. Good luck!