PDA

View Full Version : Very dry summer...

Lile
June 19th, 2009, 02:59 AM
The weather turned very very dry here...and it makes me very hard to deal with my hair.It is soooooo dry!!!
What can I do?
I tried light oiling-no luck-oily but still flyaway
I tried water+oiling-dries too fast-only the oil remains on the surface of my hair.
I put more conditioner-it's good for a day,then it's super dry again.

I'm thinking about buying a new conditioner with some cones in it,so that something keep the moisture in.

do you think that works?
What's your way to protect your hair from drying out too much in summer?

Honey pack?Would that help together with cone conditioner?

Heavenly Locks
June 19th, 2009, 03:20 AM
Have you considered periodic misting? I hear you can do a lovely bottle of distilled water, coconut oil (or something else) and some herbs for that...

Melisande
June 19th, 2009, 03:29 AM
When I'm in a very dry climate, I oil first and add water (counter-intiutive but works for me). I damp bun and use Fox' sheabutter with more conditioner than sheabutter or oil. Air condition sucks moisture from the air, too.

Add water from the inside, too. Drink enough and hook up a humidifier. Or let a kettle boil for some time. Dry air is not good for your skin, too.

Gothic Lolita
June 19th, 2009, 05:39 AM
I second the humidifier, I'm using one during winter and it has made a big difference to my hair and skin.
I wouldn't use connes right away but try oter things first. Have your tried a leave-in? When I use one my hair is very nice, it I don't it gets dry after a day. I like mixing conditioner with sha butter and coconut oil and maybe a little aloe and apply it after washing to damp hair. The amounts vary, I just take as mch as I like to.

Curlsgirl
June 19th, 2009, 05:55 AM
I agree with drinking lots of water and a humidifier while inside. Also using a good moisturizing leave-in under the oil applied while still damp should help hold the moisture in better. What kind of oil? I would use either EVOO or coconut. Also damp bunning is very good to keep your hair from drying out. You can take it down every so often, mist and bun again and keep it fairly moisturized and the plus side is it keeps you cool! You might like honey or glycerin (just a drop or 2) added into your mister or leave-in too. My hair doesn't especially like it but some do well with it when it is drier weather. HTH

Lile
June 19th, 2009, 06:56 AM
Thank you guys!The humidifier is definetely something that can help.And the leave in ideas.
A wet bun is another thing I'll do,very good idea.
Thanks!
It's so strange that since I got that perm(3years ago!!!)my scalp couldn't go back to it's normal state,and is too dry.

mira-chan
June 19th, 2009, 08:42 AM
Misting would help. Add aloe to the mist as it is high in moisture. Be careful with glycerin as it pulls moisture to it, if there is not moisture in the air, it will pull from the hair.

As for weather dryness, want some of our record level rains? Please take them, roads are puddles here now.

lyria
June 20th, 2009, 10:17 PM
Hijack: DRY SUMMER?! I am green with envy. In NYC we've started referring to ourselves as Seatle on the Hudson. It has rained or poured almost every day this month! End hijack.

Mabel Grey
June 20th, 2009, 10:30 PM
Have you tried grape seed oil? I am able to use it for everything. I coat my face, at night (once a week), and just leave it on my hair quite often; when the other oils I use don't seem to work. It is light, but still seems to hold the moisture. I am always outside and live in the dry climate of a California valley. Although, I have very dry skin and hair.