PDA

View Full Version : length vs thickness...

abritta3
June 18th, 2009, 06:53 PM
Ok...so I am having a dilemna. My MAIN goal is to grow my hair out but I currently have layers. My longest layer is approx 2-3 inches longer than the other layers.
Should I cut my hair to even out the layers or just grow it out and deal with it?
Any personal experiences?
I definitely need to ponder this because I want to be happy with my decision.

Bene
June 18th, 2009, 07:01 PM
i think it's kind of a balance between the two. aim for length, and then trim like half an inch every 3 or 4 months. this way, you're not sacrificing too much length, and you can work on getting everything even.

currently, i'm working on growing out some disastrous DIY bangs :nono: and i'm trimming. by the time i get to, i don't know, tailbone, i can snip back to waist length and everything will be thick and even :)

CindyLea1
June 18th, 2009, 07:05 PM
A while ago I would have said grow it out and trim a bit off the bottom layer here and there and leave the top to "catch-up". But for 2-3 inches, I'd say make it all one length and then grow it out.

Now this is assuming you do not want layers. Some like them some don't. It is totally up to you there. You can grow your hair long with layers. And even hair with no layers cut in with be a bunch of different lengths due to hair growing and shedding and falling out.

MandaMom2Three
June 18th, 2009, 07:12 PM
I'm in the same boat. I really want the length so I'm trying to just leave it alone, but when the thinness at the ends REALLY get to me, I'll treat myself to a dusting. I'll only take off a couple milimeters, so it makes me feel a little better. I'm not loosing any real perceptable length but I'm one teeny bit closer to a thicker hemline :D it's enough to keep me happily growing :)

abritta3
June 18th, 2009, 07:16 PM
Thanks everyone. Yeah, I don't want layers anymore! They used to be pretty and are nice for curly hair. I learned, however, that layers are just not suitable for my hair. My hair isn't thick enough to really need layering. I think I will just do a half inch or a dusting.
Thanks!

klcqtee
June 18th, 2009, 07:27 PM
My hair (when long and wavy) is about a 2b/2c, and I know it's not possible for me to have my hair be obedient without any layers. Keep this in mind! Do you really want to risk your hair looking like a poofy triangle? (This always happened to me without layers!) Good luck!

LisaJaney
June 18th, 2009, 09:04 PM
Since there is only a 3" difference now, if you trimmed one-half-inch every two months (that would sacrifice half your growth, if you grow at an average rate), you'd be rid of the layers by this time next year, and probably wouldn't really have any perceptible loss of length. I was always surprised at how much difference in the FEEL of my hair a half-inch trim made; really seemed to thicken up the ends for me. (and my ends are THIN THIN THIN) So: often, LESS is more! Smaller trims adding up to get you what you want BOTH ways: still gaining length and still evening-out those layers. Win-win, I'd think!

Dars
June 18th, 2009, 09:09 PM
This is all up to you. I have been deciding this since I joined LHC and have decided to stick it out until I reach my goal length then trim away a layer, grow back to goal length, trim another layer, etc. Looks like you have made up your mind, but what helped me decide was this post (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showpost.php?p=547665&postcount=3) "Do you want extra length now, or do you want an even hemline now?"

HappyHair87
June 18th, 2009, 09:57 PM
I have a layer problem too....but i would like to grow my hair to Hip Length and then cut 3 inches off back to waist and keep doing this until my hair evens out a little bit more.

abritta3
June 18th, 2009, 10:14 PM
Yeah, I am just annoyed because braiding it and other updos look bad due to the layers...I HATE the little pieces sticking out everywhere ....

vindo
June 18th, 2009, 10:16 PM
Ok...so I am having a dilemna. My MAIN goal is to grow my hair out but I currently have layers. My longest layer is approx 2-3 inches longer than the other layers.
Should I cut my hair to even out the layers or just grow it out and deal with it?
Any personal experiences?
I definitely need to ponder this because I want to be happy with my decision.

I notice people either aim for 'cut' or 'grow'...

I have done both...lets call it cut'n'grow...:lol:

Monthly or at least frequent trims but only a part of the growth. Works for me...just a thought ;)

Dreamernz
June 18th, 2009, 11:53 PM
Hmmm I have the same dilemma about what to do about these stinking layers, plus I'm worried about splits but I'm just too scared to lose the length so am probs gonna wait till I get past BSL, then I can be content that I have'nt lost that tiny goal. This may work for you, you know if you just get past one stepping stone and cut back to it, you may feel better as you've only lost 'in-betweeny length'. Then again if you really really hate the layers then it's better to cut them as they will just make you miserable. Janeytillie had that dilemma and was much happier after chopping from hip to BSL! Just take some time to think it over :D:D:D

Lize
June 19th, 2009, 02:08 AM
I am in the same boat! My hair is heavily layered because I got insane last summer and cut the style when I had just achieved one length hair. :rant:

I often think about how thick my hair would have been now if I hadn't gotten those layers. I try not to obsess too much about it though. :) As much as one part of me would love to chop back to where there are no layers, that would be at chin! :scared: And I am getting close to BSL. In the end I want the length. I thought of all the hair styles I am beginning to be able to wear at this length (finally). And I realised one thing I really want is a long braid. That won't happen anytime soon if I cut back to chin length.

So I have this plan. The plan is to grow to waist. This will maybe take two years from now. In this time I am allowed occasional half inch trims, but I'd rather not trim at all until waist. I want that length so badly! During this time I am forced to wear my hair up most of the time. Both because the layers (and did I mention I am also growing out dye and highlights?? :)) look really bad, and that the highlighted hair is so damaged. When I get to waist I'll start to maintain until I have gotten rid of the damaged parts, the layers and the highlighted hair. When I feel my hair is thick and healthy enough I'll go for my ultimate goal - which is tailbone.

This plan I hope will work for me, otherwise I agree with some of the people who has already written. Small trims done pretty often are great. You won't lose too much length and you can still grow, but on half speed.

Melisande
June 19th, 2009, 02:49 AM
I had the same dilemma. I'm a GROW kind of woman so I let the layers grow out. And it turned out that this was a great decision. They were cut very well so they continued to look good. Since the natural grwoth patten of my hair was different from the layers, at some point they were simply "swallowed" and evened out naturally. By now, all I have left are some "face framing layers" around my elbows :lol: And a U shaped hemline that I like.

I did two or three minitrims in the course of two years. But nothing dramatic. If you cut, you lose the long hair feeling that you have already. For me, having this feeling helped me deal with the layers mentally.

But others have decided differently and have been as happy. So I'm really being helpful and saying: it's up to you.

brok3nwings
June 19th, 2009, 04:26 AM
now why do you want to cut your layers blunt? is it because you dont like them or is it because you see many people here with blunt heamline? its because many of us do like layers and even look better with them!

MsBubbles
June 19th, 2009, 05:41 AM
I had this dilemma last year but was growing out APL highlights, blowfrying and a Mom cut. I also have straight, fine hair. Because of this I decided my hair would look healthier and thicker with no layers, so I spent 10 months maintaining around 25" until the layers all grew down. I don't want to ever do that again though. Those 10 months were so hard...watching other people's lengths increase while mine stayed the same.

Another main reason for me doing this was that I was afraid since I self-trim that I wouldn't be able to get the bad ends with the trim unless they were mostly the same length, and I don't want my hair 'long' unless the ends are healthy. However, I saw a 'self-trim my layers' thread around here recently , so that gets rid of that problem.

Your hair is wavy? It'd probably look great with layers and not unhealthy or thin.