PDA

View Full Version : Did your hair color ever change naturally?

jera
June 18th, 2009, 03:43 PM
This is a thread to chronicle NATURAL hair color changes only.

Were you or any of your family members born with different color hair from what you later ended up with? :confused:

My dad's side of the family were all born platinum blondes but by the time they reached school age, their hair had darkened to auburn, then to dark brown. Three of his brothers ended up with black hair. :eyebrows:

Mom was born almost bald with tiny wisps of pale brown hair. By the time she entered school, her hair had become thick curly and black. :rolleyes:

I was born with tons of fine straight black hair which progressively lightened, first to dark brown and finally to a rich chestnut, and it began to softly wave. :p

So, what about you?

naomimcc
June 18th, 2009, 03:51 PM
I started out super fair white blond hair and it changed to from golden blond to dirty blonde throughout school. Now in my 30s, my hair has a red tinge to it because of the iron in our water.

Unnamed
June 18th, 2009, 04:02 PM
0-3: Light ash blonde.
4-5: Med ash blonde.
6-7: Dark ashy blonde.
7-8: Ashy brown of some sort.
8-10: Off black. :rolleyes:
10-11: Med reddish brown/auburny.
11-12: Med ash brown.
12-13: Light ash brown.
13-14 on: Dark ash blonde.

Fractalsofhair
June 18th, 2009, 04:05 PM
I was born as a BRIGHT redhead, which fell out promptly around 6 months, and my hair grew in white blonde which gradually darkened to my dark platinum it is now.(Silverish, ashy, but lighter than most ash is called?)

NickalNack
June 18th, 2009, 04:11 PM
Not that I know of... sometimes my hair does look like a dark red in the light, but I'm not sure if that's natural or not.

enfys
June 18th, 2009, 04:12 PM
I was born with black curls, which were replaced with Labrador brown straight hair and stayed that way. If it's darkener any it's because I don't go out in the sun now and my hair highlight super easily in sunlight.

My fiance was ginger at about 10 or so (video evidence - thanks MIL) and now is a shade lighter than black!

Samikha
June 18th, 2009, 04:12 PM
It's gotten darker and darker over the years. It still lightens pretty well in the sun, though.

hennared
June 18th, 2009, 04:16 PM
I had fairly fair blonde, straight hair as a child, that gradually went to strawberry blonde and wavy as a teenager. I started hennaing at age . 20, I think, to my current color... I believe I am still strawberry blonde but maybe a bit darker now, based on what my roots like like when I don't henna for a long while. But my hair is definitely becoming more wavy with age.

RoseRedDead
June 18th, 2009, 04:18 PM
It's gotten redder over the years... but it's probably from this darned hard water of ours.

desertgirl
June 18th, 2009, 04:24 PM
I was about 3 or 4 before my blonde hair turned dark brown.

HairColoredHair
June 18th, 2009, 04:35 PM
I was born blonde and my hair darkened by middle school to dark blonde, but my mother had me beat, since she was born blonde and her hair went almost black by grade school. :lol:

KaeleyAnne
June 18th, 2009, 04:39 PM
My hair was very blond when I was younger and it gradually darkened until it reached approximately the color it is now, which was reached when I was approximately 12 years old or so.

Brisen
June 18th, 2009, 05:01 PM
My hair is brown, and it was lighter when I was born, but it's not a hugely dramatic change. Though my kids seem to think I have black hair, it's not really dark.

My brother and sister were born with really light blonde hair, which gradually darkened until as adulthood; my brother has black hair & my sister, not quite sure as she dyes is back to blonde, but it seems reddish brown.

My first two kids were born with light blonde hair. My oldest (9) has almost brown hair now, and my second has medium blonde hair.

My third was born with straight, black hair which fell out in patches, and we ended up shaving it off. It grew in blonde and curly, and is still curly but a wee bit darker now.

My dh is a redhead, he had bright red & curly hair as a kid; it's closer to brown now (people who meet him now often don't realize he's a redhead) and wavy when he lets it get a bit long. His beard grows in fairly red, though.

It's gotten redder over the years... but it's probably from this darned hard water of ours.

I've noticed some colour change in my hair, with a bit of redishness, and I never thought about the water being a factor. We moved in to a place with fairly hard water only about a year ago, though, so maybe it's too soon for that to be the cause.

Firefly
June 18th, 2009, 05:06 PM
I was born very blond, and gradually darkened with age. I was a dark strawberry blond through my teenage years. Plain ol' chestnut brown in my early twenties, but then my hair got REALLY DARK during my two pregnancies. Since then, I've faded back to a lighter brown, only with more red. It's very strange.

I do naturally have fine blond hairs, coarse almost black hairs, as well as brown and red all mixed in... each one has had it's turn as the dominant color (except black)! :shrug:

Islandgrrl
June 18th, 2009, 05:09 PM
I was born with white-blonde hair that has gradually darkened and become redder with age. The color in my avatar is natural. Now, of course, it's turning grey. But I don't think that's counts, insofar as regards the OP's question. :)

Tap Dancer
June 18th, 2009, 05:10 PM
My hair was a golden color until I was about 4 or 5. (Not sure what you'd call it, but there's a pic of me at 3 years old in my album.) Then my hair turned dark brown.

Quixii
June 18th, 2009, 05:11 PM
When I was really little, I had strawberry blonde hair. (That's actually my favourite hair colour.) Then it became a somewhat light blonde, then it became a kinda goldeny blonde, then it got a little darker and now it seems to remain goldeny blonde. =)

Jules diamond
June 18th, 2009, 05:11 PM
Mine starts out dark brown but but turns reddish after about eight inches.

and my little sister recently got blonde streaks. O_O I didn't even know it was possible, but they're golden blonde naturally.

Cantabile
June 18th, 2009, 05:17 PM
My hair's a very dark brown that's pretty much black under most lights but bright sunlight. For some reason, the very front parts of my hair (think Rogue, from X-Men :laugh:) has been turning light brown. It's not going white or grey, but just lightening in color for some reason.

coolbreeze212
June 18th, 2009, 05:20 PM
As a youngster, my hair was white-blonde. It has darkened through the years to a darker blonde shade.

My daughter was born with very, very dark hair. Then when she was a toddler and slightly older, our hair looked the same side-by-side. Now, she's 11 yrs old, and her hair is a beautiful medium brown shade.

mira-chan
June 18th, 2009, 05:23 PM
I was born with almost black hair. Had that till about puberty when it lightened to a darker chestnut.

Ryanne
June 18th, 2009, 05:30 PM
My hair was blonde until I was ten, it started to darken after that, and settled on the colour my hair is now when I was twelve.

Themyst
June 18th, 2009, 05:46 PM
0 - 3 years white blond
4 - 7 years yellow blond
8 -12 years golden blond
13 + golden light brown w/natural red highlights

And while pregnant with my son, it turned medium brown and you could hardly see the red in it anymore. Now my son is six years old and I was getting my golden light brown w/natural red highlights back - but then I started using henna.

lyria
June 18th, 2009, 05:49 PM
When I was little I hd hair so light blond it was almost white! Now I still have some light blonde natural highlights, but am mostly golden blonde.

viking_quest
June 18th, 2009, 06:20 PM
I was blond until school started around 4/5, and it hasn't changed since then.

Chanteuse87
June 18th, 2009, 06:37 PM
Oh yes. I started life with the most beautiful golden banana curls, which lasted from 2-5. Then at 6 or so my hair straightened out, but retained the color. Then at 12, all bets were off. My hair became frizzy corkscrew curls two inches into the hairline, straight at the back, and randomly wavy underneath. And the color became darker, a lot more mousy. Finally the terrible hormones backed off and I'm left with what you see today; relatively well behaved with a slight wave, and a dark blonde that gets natural highlights in the sun.

Renbirde
June 18th, 2009, 06:42 PM
I was a vampire baby. Black hair, black eyes and dead white skin. My hair and eyes have both lightened up-- the hair went to a golden blond, but now it's sliding back to an ashy color.

JamieLeigh
June 18th, 2009, 06:45 PM
My hair was nearly black when I was born...and it was light golden brown when I was younger. I dyed it black and red (together, not as two separate incidents, LOL) in high school, and now I have 100% natural undyed, unpermed virgin hair at classic length...and it's reddish brown. Who knew? :pinktongue:

Jeni
June 18th, 2009, 07:34 PM
Me and my brother were born with white blond hair. His darkened to a light brown by the time he was 8 or 9. Mine darkened to a light blond in elementary school and continued to darken to what I think it a dark/med blond now.

Both my mother and father were born with very light blond hair but they both darkened to a medium brunette by the time they hit middle school. I'm not sure why mine stayed relatively light in comparison to everyone else in my family.

danacc
June 18th, 2009, 08:26 PM
I was born with medium-dark brown hair, and I've had it stay the same color for decades. The only change was red highlights at the ends, bleached in by the sun.

Now some strands are coming in silver.;)

teela1978
June 18th, 2009, 08:29 PM
I was born with some brown hair which all fell out in a week or two. Then I was very blonde and it slowly darkened till I was in my late teens. Now it's sorta light brownish I think... but the sliver is starting to come in with a vengance.

invisiblebabe
June 18th, 2009, 08:30 PM
Mine was a light to medium ash blonde until age 3 or 4 when it turned a dark ash blonde.

Wanderer09
June 18th, 2009, 08:32 PM
My hair was very light when I was a baby, then it gradually darkened to medium brown.

nancy33936
June 18th, 2009, 08:49 PM
my niece was a light blonde when she was very young, now at 5 its still light but not as light.

MandaMom2Three
June 18th, 2009, 08:52 PM
my husband was blond as a child, dark brown now. My hair used to be auburn but the red seems to fade out as I got older (henna put it back though :D )

florenonite
June 18th, 2009, 08:56 PM
I was born with dark hair which became white-blonde by the time I was two. This gradually darkened to the lightash brown I have now. My wee sister started with white-blonde hair which now, at fifteen, can still be described as platinum blonde, though it's darkened somewhat and the underlayer's red (fitting, as she's got typical ginger skin :p). My youngest sister's hair has progressed much as mine, but she's young enough that it's still blonde, whilst my older sister's hair progressed like the 15-year-old's, but is now a golden blonde that she's older.

DBF and Mum were both born ginger, but this fell out and grew in platinum blonde, darkening to a warm light brown in Mum's case and a reddish-brown in DBF's case. Dad had platinum blonde when he was wee, which became a medium to dark brown by his mid-twenties but, for as long as I can remember, his hair's been sparse with lots of grey :p

That's funny. I did a henna gloss at the end of April, and there was still a fair bit of red in my hair when I came home a little over two weeks ago, but the bulk of it has come out now. It's one of three things: the chlorine from my one jaunt in the pool (unlikely as it was only the one time), the fact that I've been using conventional 'poo rather than bars because of the hard water or the hard water itself. Scotland has beautifully soft water but, alas, this is not the case at home.

meph
June 19th, 2009, 01:30 AM
I was born with strawberry blonde hair and over the years it became redder. Since reaching puberty, I think that my hair hasn't changed any further.

My brother was born with bright red hair but then it fell out. Now he's a dark blonde like the rest of our family.

Bianca
June 19th, 2009, 01:45 AM
I started out as a light blonde, and today I have a medium ash blonde (looks very golden in the sun)

My little brother was born with dark brown hair, but he lost it all very quickly and it turned blonde as well :D

Tornerose
June 19th, 2009, 06:39 AM
I went from blonde to... well I don't know really, because as it got darker and I got fed up bleaching the roots, I coloured it redblack. But that has grown out now. You can see pics in album.

MimiKeki
June 19th, 2009, 06:41 AM
Looking through my school photos, as an infant, my hair was a lighter shade of brown. A sort of mid-chestnut colour. I miss it because it was long and thick..
Then over the next few years, it started to become a very dark dark brown, to the point where other kids would say I had black hair, to which I would insist "It's DARK BROWN".
One girl even said (She was platinum blonde) "Ugh... I hate black hair"

:( !!! I love my hair colour now though.

dearladydisdain
June 19th, 2009, 06:43 AM
Yes, I had super blonde hair when I was younger that progressively darkened. Around 18 it was a dark blonde/light brown and I started hennaing.

Morrighan
June 19th, 2009, 06:58 AM
I was born with light blonde and it slowly darkened and recently turned dark brown. Now I'm wondering if it'll keep going and turn black! But it would be hard to tell because I henna now.

nicolezoie
June 19th, 2009, 09:04 AM
Mine didn't do any spectacular color changes, but my sister and my cousin's hair did. Being Greek with predominantly dark haired relatives, when my sister and my cousin were born with very light blond hair, it was something special. My grandma had blond hair as well as a couple of her sisters (11 brothers and sisters), but all her children (my dad's brothers and sisters) had dark brown hair, and there were 6 of them, so to see blond grandchildren was special. While it did darken some over the years, my sister kept her blond hair clear into her 30s, when after she had her first baby it darkened to mid-brown. My cousin lost her blond by the time she was a teenager.

Altocumulus
June 19th, 2009, 09:13 AM
White blonde as a child, gradually darkening to medium to dark ash blonde. It grew in brown during both of my pregnancies, but changed back to blonde afterward each time.

ETA signature photo is growing out henna. I've never had natural red hair!

Katze
June 19th, 2009, 09:18 AM
I was born bald, then by age two had straight, fine, platinum blonde hair. This gradually darkened to a golden blonde, which turned ashy and almost-brown by the time I was 12. I then started bleaching it. :D

When I came here I didn't really know my hair color, but it does seem to change quite a bit based on lighting and how I have washed it (or how recently).

It does seem to have changed a bit - gotten lighter - since I was pregnant, and I also have a natural silver streak coming in!

JamieRose
June 19th, 2009, 09:33 AM
I was born with near black hair that lightened to golden brown (until I started dying it in high school). When my roots come in, I think they're even lighter than they used to be... shame I have olive skin and black eyebrows/eyelashes. :rolleyes:

CreativeHere
June 19th, 2009, 10:09 AM
Yup! I started out a platinum blond, but then my hair started getting darker. Now it's a weird brown/red/blond color.

LutraLutra
June 19th, 2009, 10:20 AM
Born bright copper gold, darkened to auburn.

Noortje
June 19th, 2009, 10:23 AM
My sister just emailed me a picture of me age 4-5ish which she found lurking in the attic, so I thought of this thread immediately! :D
http://i606.photobucket.com/albums/tt150/marijkeve/n1597610772_52921_7710.jpg
So I went from this colour to dark dishwaterblonde by the time I hit teenage-dom. Not that dramatic, really, but I wish I still had those waves!! :justy:

Aunteater
June 19th, 2009, 12:10 PM
In my newborn pics, I have black hair. It all fell out, and when it grew in again, it was a very pale blonde. The blonde darkened subtly over the years. When I was 11 I was still definitely blond. I think the color change accelerated through my adolescence, and by the time I was 20 my hair was the color it is now: decidedly brown, but develops gold-ish tendencies when I'm out in the sun all summer.

NamedForTheMoon
June 19th, 2009, 12:15 PM
When I was a baby my hair was a light auburn, and it darkened up to a really dark ash brown by the time I was one. In the sunlight it had a blondish glow to it. I started chemically dying it around 13 or 14, and I had sort of forgotten what my natural hair color looked like until I was 30, when I decided to let it grow without dying it. It had lightened up to a medium ash brown. So now it's medium ash brown with greying strands, and henna takes to it very well. :D

rags
June 19th, 2009, 12:21 PM
I was born with jet black curly hair all the way to my shoulders! It all fell out and came back in white blond and stick straight. It darkened to an ashy blond by my teens and stayed that way until I got pregnant. Then it turned a medium to dark brown and stayed that way for about five years. It started lightening up after that some and now I am a light to medium brown with lots of silver!

Cindi Eponabri
June 19th, 2009, 12:27 PM
I was born with almost white blond hair (would love to have that now), and it got darker as I got older. When I was about 12 it start turning redder... I wonder if that was due to hormones, and then in my 20's it was brown. That's when I started coloring my hair... blond, dark brown, burgundy red. I stopped coloring my hair just before I turned 50, and it was long and kind of ombre'd in color... blond at the tips, reddish brown in the middle and naturally gray-frosted brown at the roots. Now my roots are still this way and the ends are a medium brown.

Lioness
June 19th, 2009, 12:45 PM
As a newborn my hair was a bright copper-red colour, 1a
From 1-8 my hair was very light blonde, almost white (actually it turned white if we went to the beach lol), 1b
8-13 it was golden blonde, 1c
13- now more ash blonde with gold sheen 2a,2b

I also have one fairly large strand of pitchblack hair in my nape, my hairdresser always used to make comments on it

rhubarbarin
June 19th, 2009, 01:17 PM
Born bald and stayed that way for some time, to wavy white blond peach fuzz, to 3a very light blonde hair until about age 4, then it went wavy and turned the warm sandy color it still it today (my roots are maybe a little darker now.. but it's hard to tell because I spend my whole childhood outdoors). It got very curly when puberty hit.

The overall color my hair is depends very much on length and how much time I spend in the sun. With long hair, people say I am blonde because it's get's progressively lighter towards the ends.

ReddishRocks
June 20th, 2009, 12:19 AM
Hrm... mine's always been reddish... but it's definitely darkened with age!

http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x143/ReddishRocks/Oct82.jpg

redcelticcurls
June 20th, 2009, 12:23 AM
Hrm... mine's always been reddish... but it's definitely darkened with age!

http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x143/ReddishRocks/Oct82.jpg

That's so cute!!

My Dad was Howdy-Doody red in his youth, and he started browing out in his late 40s. It still looks red, but nowhere near as bright as in his youth. He started getting some white in there in his late 50s.

RocketDog
June 20th, 2009, 12:26 AM
I was a towheaded child, and my hair darkened to a tawny darkish blonde when I hit puberty. My hair also went from a very slight wave to full on curly-wurly craziness.

smerrie
June 20th, 2009, 11:27 AM
Yes! I was born blond, but it darkened up to dirty blond by the time I was five years old.
Then by about second or third grade, it was solid brown!
It is still a light-medium brown, but highlights extremely easily in the sun, so it tends to turn more golden-dark-blondish-brown in the summer, and I always end up with brown roots!

julya
June 20th, 2009, 11:39 AM
I was pale blonde until I hit puberty, then it darkened up, but I still call it a dark blonde.

natt i nord
June 20th, 2009, 11:46 AM
I was very bright blonde. By the time it became a medium brown. And I think it still becomes darker...

Eolan
June 20th, 2009, 12:15 PM
I was born with jet black hair. Not quite sure when it got lighter, but it sure did. In my early years my hair was white blonde. It then got a bit darker blonde and when I hit puberty it got a sort of mousy, ashy tone to it. Then followed many years with chemical coloring, until a couple of years ago when I decided to go natural. My current natural color is sort of difficult to identify since it changes with light, mood and condition. It's somewhere between very dark blonde and light brown. I call it silver fudge, it has a cold tone, but still has some sort of gold to it. :D

krissykins
June 20th, 2009, 01:35 PM
I had strawberry blonde hair as a child, but now it's a really dark auburn-brown color. I love it!

My dad was also a strawberry blonde, but his settled into a medium brown.

joyellen
June 20th, 2009, 01:40 PM
I was born with honey blonde hair and had it until about 11. Then puberty happened and it darkened into a tawny color.

Natalia
June 20th, 2009, 02:10 PM
Between the time i was born and when i turned two i went from near jet black to vry pale blonde. Int he next 18 years my natual hair color only very sligtly darkened. Im still a natural pale blonde.