PDA

View Full Version : I'm using chem dye soon...

abritta3
June 18th, 2009, 11:44 AM
So a bout a year and a half ago, I dyed my hair a golden blonde. This was before I knew anything about LHC and I neglected my hair awfully. I have been keeping up with the blonde color ever since.
Now, however, I want to go to Sally and dye my hair back to my natural dark brown color. I am Native American by heritage and I think that not only should I embrace that (because it is so rare) but I also don't want 2-tone hair as I grow.
Is there any good way for me to prep my hair to be chem dyed? Do any of you have suggestions about how to care for the hair after it has been chem dyed?
I am scared to death...I am doing this as a LAST RESORT. I do not want to chem dye my hair ever again after this.
Thank you

amaiaisabella
June 18th, 2009, 12:00 PM
Depending how dark you go, chemical dye naturally fades, and you may need a touch-up after that. Some do, some don't. I had a similiar experience, and 6 months after the dye, it had faded to the point where I could see visible roots. It didn't fade exactly the blonde I had, but more a light/medium brown, which looked terrible with my dark brown roots. I went the henna route after that, but if I had done another round of chemical color after that, it would have been the end of roots for me. Just my experience, though.

In terms of prepping your hair for color, I'd do some deep conditioning and protein treatments before you do the color. If your hair is really lacking in protein, it will be more porous, and absorb color more in certain places, resulting in spotty color. If your hair is in relatively good shape, conditioning treatments can only help. If your hair likes oil, some heavy oiling might be good as well.

Curlsgirl
June 18th, 2009, 12:01 PM
The only problem I can see is that the previously lightened hair might either "grab" too much color or not hold onto the color, one or the other depending on how porous that hair is that is dyed. I would suggest one of 2 things the first one being a much better option in my opinion:

1. Go to a hair salon and tell them you want to go back to your natural color. It will take them a couple of times or 3 to accomplish this. Make SURE it's someone who knows what they are doing. Ideally they should put a semi or demi-perm on it because that "sticks" better than a permanent one on lighter chemically processed hair. This way should be less damaging and more natural looking as it grows out if they do it right.

2. Do the color yourself. You can go to Sally's and get someone who knows about color to help you. Again, you should probably use a demi or semi-perm color a shade or 2 lighter than your natural color but then if you do the roots the same the ends will still be lighter probably or not even. That's why I think corrective color is always better done at a salon.

NamedForTheMoon
June 18th, 2009, 12:08 PM
Have you considered doing a "Hendigo", instead of using chemical dye? It won't fade out, and it will leave your hair in lovely condition, even repairing the damage already done with previous chemical colorings.

kdaniels8811
June 18th, 2009, 03:28 PM
Check out my album for before and after hendigo pictures. I tried the same thing, dying my hair back to it's normal brown and the blasted dye faded very quickly, then the roots were dark so I would re-dye, with the subsequent damage. Hendigo was my savior, not only for conditioning my hair but also to allow me to get back to my normal shade without roots. The only roots I have now are my greys coming in, seriously thinking of joining the renegreys...

Anyway, the natural dye - hendigo is much better for your hair and depending on how much indigo and amla you use, you can adjust the mix to the color you want. Please, if you decide to go this route, strand test. Everyone's hair is different and take henna/indigo differently. But the color is very permanent, does not fade. I am thrilled with it, especially the condition and thickness of my hair - which has always been very thin. Now it just looks healthy. Good luck and let us know what you decide to do.

Sherri
June 18th, 2009, 04:08 PM
Has anyone used the bundles on this site. Would love to try the blonde bundle #5 but not sure what it would do on chemical dye? Here (http://www.mehandi.com/shop/blondebundle/index.html)is the link