PDA

View Full Version : Teeny tiny knots

BrianaFineHair
June 18th, 2009, 11:01 AM
Last night I was meticulously looking at my hair and found two strands that had a little, oh so teeny, knot. It was about 1/4 inch up the hair shaft.

How in the world do they get there? I pulled on it and broke it off. I know that is not good. Next time I will use scissors.

I've never seen such a thing before. :hmm:

ericthegreat
June 18th, 2009, 11:08 AM
If you think that's bad, I often find a few of my INDIVIDUAL strands have knotted themselves together! Those are impossible to detangle, so I usually just leave them be. I wouldn't dare cut them off because some of these strand knots are up to 2 inches from my ends, and I'm not cutting all that off! Thankfully I can still easily get my wide tooth combs and boar-bristle brushes through my hair, but still these strand knots are annoying!

BrianaFineHair
June 18th, 2009, 11:18 AM
I think I'll snip them when I see them. As soon as I pulled on them (and the hair broke off at the knot point), I immediately knew it was not good. I suppose I could just leave them though?

ericthegreat
June 18th, 2009, 11:27 AM
Oh if simply pulling on them can cause the tip to break off, the ends were clearly damaged anyway and needed to be taken off.

My strand knots often happen further up on otherwise perfectly healthy hair, so snipping them of would be like thinning out my gorgeous hair! I certainly won't do that!

Tap Dancer
June 18th, 2009, 11:27 AM
I've had those before. I have no idea how it happens, but I've always wondered. I snip those off right above the knot.

BrianaFineHair
June 18th, 2009, 11:32 AM
Oh no, ericthegreat said the "d" word....damage... GAHHH! LOL ;)

Tap Dancer, I will snip from now on. ;)

ericthegreat
June 18th, 2009, 11:39 AM
Briana and tap dancer, both of you have fine hair is that right? That may be why the ends below the knot broke off Briana, your hair is naturally more fragile and prone to breaking. I am full blooded Chinese and my hair is very thick ( I hold even one strand up to the light and it shows up very clearly as a bold, thick black thread ), mostly straight and coarse. It takes me quite a bit of effort to breaking even one of my strands when I pulling it apart, it is THAT STRONG. Its like I have 100,000 steel cables on my head!

HairColoredHair
June 18th, 2009, 11:49 AM
I get those too, usually with one strand knotted about itself.... Pixie knots. I clip them out, other hairs tend to tangle about them eventually.

GlassEyes
June 18th, 2009, 11:51 AM
Faery Knots are what they're called, I believe. I've had a few myself.

They seem to happen more in finer hair.

Vicky Veiss
June 18th, 2009, 11:58 AM
When the teeny knots are tightened all the way down like that, there's no hope for it -- you can't unknot them again. At least that's true for my hair, which seems to be slightly on the fine side of average in coarseness.

Exactly, the teeny knots only catch more hairs and become the core of a bigger knot if you don't get rid of them quick. :P I try not to break them off when I'm combing, because that strains the rest of the strand and could leave it weak. IMO, even though I HATE thinning out my ends, cutting the knots off clean causes the least damage in the long run!

mtstorm
June 18th, 2009, 12:32 PM
I just clip the little knots out. If I can't get them untagled that just means they are going to get caught in my comb/brush/hairpieces and get torn out.

Tap Dancer
June 18th, 2009, 12:37 PM
Briana and tap dancer, both of you have fine hair is that right?

My hair is thick and medium in texture.

ericthegreat
June 18th, 2009, 12:47 PM
Ahh, I see from all the replies on this thread I assumed everyone except myself had fine hair. So its clear that even people with thick hair like the two of us can get these annoying strand knots.

ChrissieM
June 18th, 2009, 04:20 PM
Faery Knots are what they're called, I believe. I've had a few myself.

They seem to happen more in finer hair.

I get those once in awhile....I've always wondered how in the world they got there. Faeries....of course! :o

Euphony
June 18th, 2009, 04:53 PM
MMMMMMMMMMMM gotta love them fairy knots!

I get them sometimes. I think I've been forced to cut it out once, but that's because I was in such a hurry and the darned thing wouldn't give. Usually I take my thumb nails and gently pull strands out of the knot, there's usually about 4 to 8 strands that are knotted like that. Once I'm able to pull most the strands out the knot usually falls out.

NickalNack
June 18th, 2009, 05:32 PM
That happens to me sometimes too. It get's aggravating trying to figure out what to do with it.

Themyst
June 18th, 2009, 05:51 PM
It's a faerie knot, alright. I took a picture of one once:

http://themysteriouslady.com/faerieknot.jpg

curls2grow
June 18th, 2009, 06:21 PM
I get them too. I leave them alone if I can and hope that my next trim will get most of them off. When that doesn't work, I try to get by pretending they aren't there. :lala:

BrianaFineHair
June 18th, 2009, 08:12 PM
Oh my gosh, Themyst, that's it! The two I saw last night were so tight that they looked like little balls just attached to my hair. There would be no way to untangle these things.

Yes, ericthegreat, my hair is super fine. Some ladies would change their eye color, some would change something about their body shape, but for as long as I can remember, if given that one wish, I've always said it would be to have lots of hair and thick textured.

It's good to see these little knots have a name reserved just for them!

Speckla
June 18th, 2009, 08:26 PM
I have them too. Mostly on my ends that are dry and old. I always though they only happened curly hair. I just snip them off as I come across them.

Bene
June 18th, 2009, 08:33 PM
i snip them off, my hair is medium to coarse/thick and i still get them.

i tried leaving them alone, but then i started thinking about the wayward hair being a bad influence on the rest of my hair and encouraging the other strands to misbehave. next thing you know there's 5 or 6 strands with teeny tiny knots on the ends encircling one well behaved strand, going "come on, we're all doing it" and then there goes the neighborhood. so off they go.

yes, i have issues.

Elenna
June 18th, 2009, 08:33 PM
I get fairy knots a lot, but my hair is very damaged from chemical hair dye, and heat styling. But the damage was done BEFORE I found LHC.

danacc
June 18th, 2009, 08:34 PM
When the fairies tie a knot in a single strand like that, I snip them, too. Even when I can coax them back out, the strand is clearly damaged from having been knotted. I figure it will break soon enough. Knots weaken the strand just like they weaken a thread in sewing. So I just as soon snip it before it has any chance of tangling with neighboring strands.

When it's a knot of multiple strands, detangling can usually rescue them.

Themyst
June 18th, 2009, 08:35 PM
I had two on one strand once - I scanned it but then lost the picture!!! I thought wow, what are the odds of that? Either I am favored by the faeries or hated - not quite sure!

masnmab
June 18th, 2009, 08:47 PM
I've gotten those little single strand knots, and I can't figure out how they get there. Sometimes I'll get two on one single strand of hair.:confused: I have tried to detangle them with a pin, but the effort wasn't worth it. I find them, I snip them. Besides, they are usually found when I'm split end hunting so its pretty easy.

Ash
June 18th, 2009, 09:30 PM
I get these a lot. I have found that is better to cut them out as soon as I find them, otherwise I end up with more in the same area. Some types of fabric seem to cause more of them in my case, I guess it rubs the hair wrong or something. For a while I was cutting at least 10 or so out of my hair a day, lately it has just been one or two but they are higher up on the shaft.

bahannas
June 19th, 2009, 07:31 PM
My hair is fine, and I've had a lot of fairy knots. Sometimes I leave them be, other times I snip them off.

Pesky fairies, playing with my hair, :D

Jinx2234
June 19th, 2009, 08:20 PM
I get those little knots sometimes. I usually cut them off since I'm afraid that if I don't I will end up with all the hair around the knot tangled up into one big knot, and I usually don't have the patience to untangle the litttle knots.

Vijikanth
June 20th, 2009, 02:02 AM
I recently caught the knot taking place in action. Just after returning frm a bike ride, I was about to brush my hair when i noticed that a single hair was about to form a knot. If I had brushed it, it would have got tightened. I have already raised this question long back. Since mine is curly, I often get these knots. Luckily they form at the very end of my hair. So i dont mind snipping 1/4 of my hair.

Tornerose
June 20th, 2009, 05:41 AM
I get alot of them too. If I were to cut them off, I proably wouldn't have any hair left.

Does anyone know how to prevent them?

Misha
June 20th, 2009, 06:54 AM
Little buggers, those knots! I get them sometimes too, and I keep my hair up, oiled and as tangle-free as possible. Weird. Interestingly, last month I cut 1.5 inches off the ends (to clear up splits) and I now get less knots on the length.:hmm: