PDA

View Full Version : Hair styling problem!

amaiaisabella
April 9th, 2008, 05:04 PM
I have been having a major problem with putting my hair up. Right now it is just past my shoulders, so I am limited in what I can do with it. On my off days, when I don't want to wear it down but don't want to shampoo (aka the greasy days) I like to put it up/back in a variety of ways:

-two low braids (pippi longstocking) tied at the ends with hair ties
-bun twist held in place by a hair stick (though it slips within an hour or two due to my layers)
-regular ponytail
-high bun on the back of my head

I have noticed that whenever I use my hair ties or bobby pins, I can almost "hear" my hair breaking! After I take down my hair, I pull out tons of loose hairs! Normally I don't shed very many hairs since I am on the CO method (a side effect I am enjoying!)

I'm freaking out that in trying to save my hair from a wash, I am damaging it worse! Are bobby pins really that bad? I try to be careful in sliding them in but I just hear that crackling sound.:(

Riot Crrl
April 9th, 2008, 05:17 PM
I'm no help with bobby pins. I also can't get them out without excising about six hairs.

What kind of hair ties are you using and how tight are you pulling the updos?

thetokenlady
April 9th, 2008, 05:19 PM
First question: do your hair ties have any metal bits in them? The metal joins that are on some elastics can rip your hair out or damage it. Look for "hair-safe" ties.

Next: I myself have trouble with bobby pins, they catch and rip and don't seem to hold well. If I have to clip something back I use either teeny tiny claw clips (these things are about 1/4 inch wide, cute!) or thingies called snappy clips. Snappy clips are little flat barrette like things that are slightly curved. Bend them back and the two parts seperate, then snap them into place.

Keep in mind that my advice is worth exactly what you paid for it. :p

amaiaisabella
April 9th, 2008, 05:22 PM
The updos (when I use the sticks) I'm pulling pretty tight, because I'm trying to get all the shorter layers in there.

I have noticed that my hair ties have those metal clasps on them (the ones you get a hundred for maybe 2 bucks) but I think I need to get them without the clasps. Does that really make a difference?

When I use the bobby pins, I don't put the hair up very tightly, because I know it's going to stay. Right now I just gathered my hair in a low ponytail, then twisted up, sort of a mini french twist, and I pinned it with 2 bobby pins. It's not tight at all and some strands are hanging down.

amaiaisabella
April 9th, 2008, 05:23 PM
thetokenlady, I am going to look for those ties when I next go shopping, if they really make a difference on the hair!

I also forgot to mention I use plastic claws from Sally's as well to hold the hair up when I wash my face or am trying to reduce the "puff." Sometimes hair grabs in those too :(

Anje
April 9th, 2008, 06:04 PM
I find bobby pins always pull on my hair. Next time you're out and looking at the hair supply section, see if you can find some U-shaped pins. They're usually quite inexpensive. Put them in like you would tiny hairsticks or hairforks (tines parallel to the head, not perpendicular the way bobby pins are). I find they hold at least as well and they don't pull. Other options are "Wavelength pins" (double-pointed knitting needles bent in half) and Amish hair pins.

Concerning hair ties, one good bet is the "Hair hosiery" line that Scunci makes. There are lots of knockoffs like these, too -- I've found colorful ones at the dollar store. Another colorful option is the soft terrycloth hair ties. Ideally, you want ties that not only have no metal, but have no sharp melted or glued bits.

Jeni
April 9th, 2008, 06:05 PM
Get new hair ties without metal, it really helps! I hate bobby pins they never hold my hair and they rip hair out. I buy plastic hairpins (their about 2.5" long, tortoiseshell plastic), I find them by the bobby pins in my local walmart, they come in a pack of 10. I also buy regular metal hair pins (shaped kind of lieka U), also found in the same area, comes in a bundle of 100.

I have APL fine, rather thin hair, that loves to slip out of styles. Using 2 plastic pins I can get my hair in a bun and it stay pretty well. I just add some metal ones if I want to secure the end of my hair.

Jeni

amaiaisabella
April 9th, 2008, 07:21 PM
The soft hairties and the plastic hairpins sound great, but is there any way someone could show me a picture of what they look like so I can have an idea of what to look for at the store?

Curlsgirl
April 9th, 2008, 07:37 PM
The soft hairties and the plastic hairpins sound great, but is there any way someone could show me a picture of what they look like so I can have an idea of what to look for at the store?
http://www.walgreens.com/dbimagecache/67763.gifhttp://www.goodhairdays.com/display-files/1123s_small.jpg (http://www.goodhairdays.com/display-files/1123s.jpg)Here's some examples. You can also get an old pair of nylon pantyhose and cut about a 2 inch band and roll it up and use that. It's cheap too!

The main thing is just to make sure the bands you buy don't have any metal or sharp edges on them. And yes they do make a LOT of difference!

amaiaisabella
April 9th, 2008, 07:42 PM
Thanks, curlsgirl! I definitely get what you're talking about now. :)

I actually have these soft cotton headbands that I've been using as hairties, or holding my wet hair back in a bun to dry to avoid the puff. They don't hold very securely though- do those claws hold fine hair? Can I use them like I would use bobbypins?