PDA

View Full Version : my typical CUT IT OFF point

redneckprincess
June 18th, 2009, 07:14 AM
I'm there and will be there for at least the next 6 months or so. This is a hard time for me and thats where you all come into play, Im glad I have TLHC this time to help incourage and inspire me to not cut my hair and get me to that place I have never been (longer then APL). No I dont have any urges to cut as of yet, taking the pictures and sharing them with real live people who can, will, and do comment them really helps. See whats so hard is, my hair is still to short to braid or even put it in a bun, anything besides a pony tail or something with ALOT of pins, it dosnt feel like its growing, although I know it is.
ahhh im just venting, its early and i shouldnt even be on the computer just yet...... sorry, although thanks for "listning" i'm gonna go watch "cartoons" with the kids now

Curlsgirl
June 18th, 2009, 07:36 AM
As IF there really is a time a person SHOULDN'T be on the computer logged into LHC! LOL

Hang in there. We have all been there at one time. If you cut it it will take even LONGER before you can braid or put it up remember? As soon as you can do those things, you can sort of put it up and forget it for a while. Well you can TRY anyway! :D Mine was just barely longer than yours when I started here and I remember. It's now waist length though and I am SO glad I stuck with it! I love love love it now and it's so much easier! I had never grown past BSL either.

Madame J
June 18th, 2009, 07:39 AM
Heh, I signed on around 6 am my time this morning. And hang in there -- we're both at about the same point, and this is also where I might be tempted to cut it off (especially in summer when pixies are just so tempting). I've been doing the "wear hair up" challenge this month, and it really helps the urge to chop, as well as the frustration over how slowly hair grows.

Erin1152
June 18th, 2009, 07:58 AM
Hey redneckprincess,
You're actually in the same place I was about 2 years ago and I hated it! I had cut a lot of length off due to damaged and thin ends and I was growing out a blonde dye with my roots at about 6" natural brown. I hated the way it looked but I sucked it up and kept it. Just keep with the treatments others have given advice for and you'll be where you want to be. It's true, too, when you aren't obsessing over it, time seems to pass a lot faster. It seems like just yesterday I did my first Henna. It was 7 months ago.. It does get easier.

free_hug
June 18th, 2009, 07:59 AM
Hey! How about a nice, regular & very patient (monthly? bimonthly?) series of growth pics for us, instead of cutting it off? I'll be waiting for them! :)

I uually have the hairdresser-urge after 3-4 months, but actually having lhc, no-trim-year and my inspiration to go on with the progress pics is a GREAT help...

Toadstool
June 18th, 2009, 08:38 AM
Hi, I'm actually an inch shorter than you, and with LAYERS! I get through by covering with a scarf and just leaving tendrils hanging down. Strangely, this has been much admired!

redneckprincess
June 18th, 2009, 08:42 AM
thank you all I wont be cutting anytime soon im so excited about where my hair will be by the end of the year. I try to not think about it and i know that will get easier too.
I am doing bimonthly pics with a stripy shirt so im pretty excited for my next pictures in Aug...my Manic Panic Vampire red is almost non existent anymore besides the fact that my white bleached ends are now orange and I dont think that will ever go away, but it looks alright, I love the 2-tone but now that i see my natural hair color for the first time in over 15 years i remember now why i started coloring it, lol ♥
you guys (ladies) are great....

rags
June 18th, 2009, 08:46 AM
While you're waiting, perhaps you could practice French braiding? Is it too short for that? I could French braid at about your length, but I'm a i......

yogachic
June 18th, 2009, 08:59 AM
My typical cutting point it right before waist, like so close you can touch it, close to waist. I made a boo and cut. I regret it. Stick with it!

demitasse
June 18th, 2009, 09:00 AM
While you're waiting, perhaps you could practice French braiding? Is it too short for that? I could French braid at about your length, but I'm a i......

French pigtails might even work at that length because she wouldn't be trying to pull the hair as far.

Braiding can be easier when you hair is slightly damp or on its second day after a wash. (Squeaky clean dry hair can be slippery sometimes and tough to manage.)

NamedForTheMoon
June 18th, 2009, 09:19 AM
I'm at the same length you are, and I'm one of those people who ends up chopping off their hair and regretting it the next day. Don't cut it, you can do it! Instead of taking scissors to it, why not go to a place that has some cute hair decorations, like pins or clips with pretty designs that you like that you can use in your hair while it's at this particular length? I find that helps in wanting to keep my hair at it's particular length, and then when it gets a bit longer you can get something new. Sort of like a reward for your hair and patience. :)

redneckprincess
June 18th, 2009, 09:31 AM
I have never been able to french braid my own hair, and bairly anyone elses for that matter... that would be cool though

kdaniels8811
June 18th, 2009, 09:39 AM
Hang in there, redneckprincess. We are all cheering you on so DON'T CUT!!! We are all on this hair journey together and can commiserate with growing and how LONG it takes. Patience is NOT one of my virtues - smile! Doesn't sound like it is one of yours, either.

I read all your posts and I understand how badly you want your hair to be healthy and longer! Hang on, we will all get there together. That is what is so wonderful about this site, all the support and helpful suggestions. We are rooting for you and will get to goal eventually. Mine is tailbone, what is yours?

redneckprincess
June 18th, 2009, 09:51 AM
no i am not a paitent person expecally when it comes to my hair, I always think i will probally die before my hair can ever get to long, literly!!
on a serious noteright now my goal is APL (beyond that is uncharted territory) and eventually waist-hip maybe?

hellkitty
June 18th, 2009, 11:02 AM
Don't cut it! It WILL get better!

I'm sure by now you've seen posts pointing you to great braiding resources. Myself, I like the Braided Image book. And there's a book put out by the Klutz people (juggling for klutzes, etc) called _Hair: A book of Braiding and Styles_ that has some cute suggestions for your length as well as some pretty clear French braiding instructions. And some hard ones, like a three strand rope!

Hairtoys can also get you through a rough spot--small or mini Flexis might give you some half-up or creative options to keep you having *fun* with your hair and not upset with it. (Enable!)

HK

Curlsgirl
June 18th, 2009, 11:13 AM
I have never been able to french braid my own hair, and bairly anyone elses for that matter... that would be cool though

It's really just learning the technique and then PRACTICE. That is all. If I can do it anyone can, believe me!!! You will be SO glad you did. It's worth the time it takes to learn it.

Pierre
June 18th, 2009, 11:19 AM
I second the French braids, or Dutch (which I prefer). One on each side should be pretty easy. Another thing to try is a headband. It keeps the hair out of your eyes. Or as Hellkitty said, some mini Flexis (I have two, one on each side, and wear them all the time to keep the short hairs out of my eyes). Or a pair of Mini Maxes.

feralnature
June 18th, 2009, 12:11 PM
redneckprincess hang in there! I was at your length not too long ago and I had all sorts of temptations. I bought myself all kinds of pretty clips and claw clips and soft ponytail scrunchies and headbands (they make a headache-proof type now). I also bought some new mineral make-up and a new lipstick. Also, some Guerlain Eye Kohl. I wanted new looks and a distraction.

I made it through those tough times without trimming or coloring my hair. :)

I started wearing 2 simple braids, one on either side, and found them easy to do even with short, layered hair.

Please try to resist the urge to cut or even trim as you WILL get through this and then you will be glad you have every bit of length.

Lamb
June 18th, 2009, 12:16 PM
I'm right there with you, my hair is in this annoying "no longer a bob, but not quite shoulder length yet" stage. I'm wearing my favorite cotton snood as I type - I have a few of them now for rainy, awkward days and also for sun protection. They are the best. Wearing one makes me feel "put together" even when my hair is acting up.

demitasse
June 18th, 2009, 12:18 PM
You mentioned you have kids...any dolls or Barbies in the house? I taught myself how to French braid my hair when I was a kid by practicing on a doll.

SimplyViki
June 18th, 2009, 12:23 PM
Hang in there! *Looks forward to progress pics in the near future*

You mentioned you have kids...any dolls or Barbies in the house? I taught myself how to French braid my hair when I was a kid by practicing on a doll.
Me, too! Only I wasn't a kid (I'm still young enough to maintain that at 15 I wasn't a kid - I was a teen) :p. It took me quite a while to manage to french-braid my own hair, though. I think it would have been easier to learn while my hair was still shorter!

WelshLocks
June 18th, 2009, 01:01 PM
When I first started growing my hair it was from your length. It was such an awful time and i hated my hair. However I wish I had known about pincurls and vintage styles.

god to the fedora lounge. they have a TON of cute styles for your length hair.It passes the time nicely and soon enough your hair will be too long to do some of the cute short styles. :D

lora410
June 18th, 2009, 01:11 PM
When I get sick or bored of my hair, that is when I either oil it, henna or just something to keep me occupied.

myotislucifugus
June 18th, 2009, 03:56 PM
Hang in there. I second the thought of trying pin curls and vintage styles, I so wish I'd thought of that at the time.

Also, taking progress picks in a stripey shirt? Pure genius:thumbsup:

jojo
June 18th, 2009, 03:59 PM
Hang in there, clip your hair back and ignore it, you will soon pass this stage at the rate you grow.

RoseRedDead
June 18th, 2009, 04:35 PM
This too shall pass.

What I do it just put it up and try not to think about it. Do something you enjoy. Your hair will still be growing while you're doing something else.

JamieLeigh
June 18th, 2009, 07:15 PM
Put all the scissors in the house into a drawer and LOCK IT. :grouphug: Good luck!! You know we're all here! :flower:

patreeka
June 18th, 2009, 07:19 PM
just keep growing! i always get the CUTCUTCUT urge, too. but just imagine how awesome it's going to be after one year, and how long your hair will be :D

feralnature
June 18th, 2009, 07:23 PM
Hello again! Making sure you are not playing with scissors :)

Here's a thought: One day, the 17 inches of hair you have on your head will be the tips of your hair. Your hair will be long and flowing with bleached and colored tips like a flame. So don't cut your hair now until you can see how it will look when it is longer WITH all the length you can possibly have. That is my plan of action for my hair, or it is for now :)