PDA

View Full Version : Useless hair fact

Nat242
June 18th, 2009, 02:56 AM
I have a useless facts calendar. It gives you a useless fact every day - gems like, 'At any given time, there are eighteen hundred thunderstorms in progress over the Earth's atmosphere' and 'Every time Beethoven sat down to write music, he poured ice water over his head'.

Today's useless fact has LHC-relevance: 'Tonsurphobia is the fear of haircuts'.

Another useless hair fact - Louis XIV had forty personal wigmakers and nearly one thousand wigs.

:D

/not a quality post

I've been snippy lately. My apologies, and here's some cheese to go with this cheesy thread :cheese: :cheese:

ericthegreat
June 18th, 2009, 03:10 AM
Good Lord how did he even find time to wear all 1,000 wigs? And did he need a different hairdresser for every day of the month or something?! No wonder the aristocracy got decapitated during the French Revolution! I'd say Louis XIV made Marie Antoinette look like Mother Theresa!

enfys
June 18th, 2009, 03:24 AM
Sounds like Beethoven was trying to close his cuticles after a wash too!

rach
June 18th, 2009, 03:32 AM
1,000 wigs for one head!!!! you could make a massive stuffed mammoth out of that instead.

Misha
June 18th, 2009, 05:14 AM
OK, so I need some cheese this morning! Here are some contributions...:cheese::cheese::cheese::disco:

Human body will produce about 350 miles of hair in a lifetime.[now that's cool]

Blonds Have More Hair Than Dark Haired People Do.

In Ancient Egypt, Priests Plucked Every Hair From Their Bodies, Including Their Eyebrows And Eyelashes.

A "Hairbreadth Away" Is 1/48 Of An Inch.

A rhinoceros horn is made of compacted hair.

A hair is 70% easier to cut when soaked in warm water for 2 minutes.

Hairstylist Anthony Silvestri cuts hair while underwater.

Your hair feels like thread but it is as strong as aluminum.

Intelligent people have more zinc and copper in their hair.

The Average Chocolate Bar Has 8 Insects' Legs In It. [this obviously has nothing to do with hair - I just thought you would like to know - eewww]

:disco:

Kaamos
June 18th, 2009, 05:22 AM
[...]

The Average Chocolate Bar Has 8 Insects' Legs In It. [this obviously has nothing to do with hair - I just thought you would like to know - eewww]

:shocked:NOW you shocked me!! Is that true?? I LOOOOVE chocolate but i don't want to eat insect legs :frog:

Madame J
June 18th, 2009, 05:22 AM
Good Lord how did he even find time to wear all 1,000 wigs? And did he need a different hairdresser for every day of the month or something?! No wonder the aristocracy got decapitated during the French Revolution! I'd say Louis XIV made Marie Antoinette look like Mother Theresa!

Except that Marie had her own expensive, hair-related habits. Like building dioramas in her gigantic hair.

SHELIAANN1969
June 18th, 2009, 06:17 AM

I sometimes think that way about my own hair toy collection! ;)

ETA: Oh wow, I have been eating chocolate covered bug legs and didn't even know it! I knew I would like them!!!! hahaha :D

Igor
June 18th, 2009, 06:48 AM
I love this thread!
The nerd and collector of random information in me is cheering
:cheer:

Okay I have to comment on this one. Horn, hair and nails are all made of keratin as the basic structural material
Saying that horn is made from “compacted hair” is wrong
Basically, you can compare keratin that is the basic structure of hair, horn and nails to flour that makes pancakes, bread and cookies
You don’t say “Bread is made of compacted pancakes”, but bread and pancakes are made of almost the same basic materials
See the difference? :wink:

Misha
June 18th, 2009, 07:04 AM
I love this thread!

Okay I have to comment on this one. Horn, hair and nails are all made of keratin as the basic structural material
Basically, you can compare keratin that is the basic structure of hair, horn and nails to flour that makes pancakes, bread and cookies
You don’t say “Bread is made of compacted pancakes”, but bread and pancakes are made of almost the same basic materials

That's a good point, of course. It did sound rather cool though. These bits of info were taken from some "useless facts" sites. It just shows how you cannot believe the info given on the net (no kidding!). I bet chocolate contains more unexpected items than insect legs :blueeek: (now I'm kidding, but you never can tell).

MsBubbles
June 18th, 2009, 07:05 AM
I have a useless facts calendar. It gives you a useless fact every day - gems like, 'At any given time, there are eighteen hundred thunderstorms in progress over the Earth's atmosphere' and 'Every time Beethoven sat down to write music, he poured ice water over his head'.

Another useless hair fact - Louis XIV had forty personal wigmakers and nearly one thousand wigs.

:D

/not a quality post

I beg to differ! Great thread. I wonder what fear of hair stylists would be... Youneedlayersophobia? Justtrimyourendsophobia... ok that's not as funny as the Beethoven closing his cuticles comment. No wonder his music sounds so fitful.

Fascinating also about smart people having more zinc & copper in their hair. I'm probably deficient in those :p.

Kanntara
June 18th, 2009, 01:59 PM
... I wonder what fear of hair stylists would be... Youneedlayersophobia? Justtrimyourendsophobia... ...

I was going to post this same thing!!!

Downside, I have whatever this fear is after a really bad hack job 13 years ago.

Upside, I have waist length hair. :cheese::cheese::cheese:

florenonite
June 18th, 2009, 03:25 PM
That's a good point, of course. It did sound rather cool though. These bits of info were taken from some "useless facts" sites. It just shows how you cannot believe the info given on the net (no kidding!). I bet chocolate contains more unexpected items than insect legs :blueeek: (now I'm kidding, but you never can tell).

"You sold your soul for magic beans / Don't believe all you read on computer screens."

This is so not a quality post, the highlighted bit just reminded me of that song ^.^

NickalNack
June 18th, 2009, 04:13 PM

I might have that.

Peter
June 18th, 2009, 04:36 PM
OK, so I need some cheese this morning! Here are some contributions...:cheese::cheese::cheese::disco:

Human body will produce about 350 miles of hair in a lifetime.[now that's cool]

Blonds Have More Hair Than Dark Haired People Do.

In Ancient Egypt, Priests Plucked Every Hair From Their Bodies, Including Their Eyebrows And Eyelashes.

A "Hairbreadth Away" Is 1/48 Of An Inch.

A hair is 70% easier to cut when soaked in warm water for 2 minutes.

Hairstylist Anthony Silvestri cuts hair while underwater.

Your hair feels like thread but it is as strong as aluminum.

Intelligent people have more zinc and copper in their hair.

Igor already commented on the rhinoceros horn "fact" but I wanted to say a few other things. :D

350 miles of hair in a lifetime -- let's assume an 80 year lifespan. That means over 4 miles of hair per year. :rolleyes: 6 inches/year, ignoring any variations based on age, results in about 3/4 of a mile in a lifetime. ETA: My mistake, I interpreted it as only meaning hair on the head. Still, 350 miles of hair is far too high.

Even coarse human hair is not even 1/48" thick. A rough estimate is 20-200 micrometers thick, which encompasses pretty much all humans. 1/48" is equal to over 500 micrometers, i.e. 0.5 millimeters, which is unheard of.

And the last one... of course, "intelligent people", B.S.

I know you got them from a website, but some of the claims are so ludicrous. That is my contribution to the thread. Bye! :D

RoseRedDead
June 18th, 2009, 04:37 PM
Hm... maybe Beethoven thought it would increase blood to the head? I don't know. The guy was a genius composer, though.

enfys
June 18th, 2009, 04:41 PM
Igor already commented on the rhinoceros horn "fact" but I wanted to say a few other things. :D

350 miles of hair in a lifetime -- let's assume an 80 year lifespan. That means over 4 miles of hair per year. :rolleyes:

Even coarse human hair is not even to 1/48" thick. A rough estimate is 20-200 micrometers thick, which encompasses pretty much all humans. 1/48" is equal to over 500 micrometers, i.e. 0.5 millimeters, which is unheard of.

And the last one... of course, "intelligent people", B.S.

I know you got them from a website, but some of the claims are so ludicrous. That is my contribution to the thread. Bye! :D

What if you laid each strand end to end? 6" per year x 200,000 strands?

Isn't a hairbreath a phrase like a jiffy? It's something said to describe a distance, not neccessarily the width of a hair it was given an official amount to refer to.

These are just guesses, I'm not about to find references or anything.

Peter
June 18th, 2009, 04:43 PM
Oooh right, laying them end to end... I didn't think of that.

You win! :p

Mabel Grey
June 18th, 2009, 04:54 PM
This thread just made me smile, nothing to contribute....:cheese::cheese::cheese:

NickalNack
June 18th, 2009, 04:57 PM
Haha, I'm the same.

I didn't know blonde people had more hair than darker-haired people though. That's kind of a shock.

coolbreeze212
June 18th, 2009, 05:12 PM
I didn't know blonde people had more hair than darker-haired people though. That's kind of a shock.

Hmph. Even if I do have more hairs (theoretically) than someone with darker hair....I still have teensy little buns and spaghetti braids because it's so dang fine! So unfair!

NickalNack
June 18th, 2009, 05:16 PM
Hmph. Even if I do have more hairs (theoretically) than someone with darker hair....I still have teensy little buns and spaghetti braids because it's so dang fine! So unfair!
Still, just be proud that you were born naturally with an attribute that many women pay hundreds of dollars a year to achieve and maintain. ;)

EdG
June 18th, 2009, 06:43 PM
Human body will produce about 350 miles of hair in a lifetime.[now that's cool]That's equal to 350*5280/70/365 = 72 feet per day for a lifespan of 70 years.

I had calculated 100 feet per day as an average http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?p=620405

The difference may be due to thinning or baldness with age.
Ed

Igor
June 21st, 2009, 05:29 AM

Actually I have been wondering about that… Often when I come across beauty advice, the hair “advice” makes me roll my eyes and then yawn, but most of the time I accept other advice given when for instance it comes to skin care. I wonder if the people who know a lot about skin care find the advice given as ridiculous as we do when it comes to hair?

BlackfootHair
June 21st, 2009, 06:34 AM
I love this thread!

Wouldn't it be more like pancakes are made from compacted bread since bread is generally fluffier than pancakes? Haha just kidding! :D

Misha
June 21st, 2009, 07:32 AM
Actually I have been wondering about that… Often when I come across beauty advice, the hair “advice” makes me roll my eyes and then yawn, but most of the time I accept other advice given when for instance it comes to skin care. I wonder if the people who know a lot about skin care find the advice given as ridiculous as we do when it comes to hair?

A lot of the info out there is more about "fluff" - what may sound exciting and inticing, and has nothing to do with the science of the subject.

We may find that if we give an honest answer to others about hair care and health, the other person may find it strange (as in unfamiliar),or reject it, or be uninterested. It may not be what they wanted to hear. Exciting magazine stuff is appealing to many.

ETA - no offence meant with regards to a person just learning or finding information about a topic - the fluff info is just so prevelant.

naomimcc
June 21st, 2009, 08:19 AM

That's me! LOL~

swanns
June 21st, 2009, 08:24 AM
If I ever get asked if I have any phobias I now know what my answer will be :D

Bunnyhare
June 21st, 2009, 09:28 AM
I loved knowing what to call my fear of haircuts! but how does "tonsur" break down to hair..in latin is that the word for hair? anybody know ? I would think this was fear of having tonsils removed if I just heard it somewhere!HEEHEE

shadowclaw
June 21st, 2009, 09:48 AM

I suspect that even though I have more hairs on my head than darker haired people, I compensate for it by having very fine hairs! So don't worry about blondes having more hair; your individual hairs might be thicker (or is the term coarser) and therefore look like more.

Sarahmoon
June 21st, 2009, 10:37 AM
:shocked:NOW you shocked me!! Is that true?? I LOOOOVE chocolate but i don't want to eat insect legs :frog:

Who cares? You obviously don't taste it anyway and the extra protein is good for you :D

RancheroTheBee
June 21st, 2009, 11:14 AM
Who cares? You obviously don't taste it anyway and the extra protein is good for you :D

And you'd never see it, really. Ughn, there's a website that shows you just how many bugs are in each kind of food. I'm not the squeamish sort, but I know that would... uh, bug a lot of people, so I won't share.

NiAosSi
June 21st, 2009, 11:35 AM
Oh, oh, oh, I want to know! Tell me! Tell me!

And you'd never see it, really. Ughn, there's a website that shows you just how many bugs are in each kind of food. I'm not the squeamish sort, but I know that would... uh, bug a lot of people, so I won't share.

spidermom
June 21st, 2009, 12:32 PM
I love this thread!

The rhino horn is different from other horns. The similarity goes beyond the fact that hair and nails and horn are all forms of keratin. You could actually peel away rhino horn filament by filament, and the filaments looks like strands of hair and are individually structured like hair.

florenonite
June 21st, 2009, 01:27 PM
I loved knowing what to call my fear of haircuts! but how does "tonsur" break down to hair..in latin is that the word for hair? anybody know ? I would think this was fear of having tonsils removed if I just heard it somewhere!HEEHEE

The shaved bit at the crown of a monk's head is called a "tonsure", so I do think that "tonsur" is Latin for hair or derived from the Latin term. I haven't got my Latin dictionary here so I can't check, though.