PDA

View Full Version : Any more tips to tackle an itchy scalp

Jenny.Wren
June 18th, 2009, 02:30 AM
Ok, here goes, I'll try and detail everything I can about my situation and what I've done and used.

My itchy scalp developed about 2.5 years ago but lived with it for a year thinking it was my shampoo so I switched a few times but to no avail. Anyway, about 5 months ago I finally went to the see the doctor. We tried all the medical shampoos, T-Gel, Selsun, Nizorel etc but they didn't have any effect. He then prescribed betnovate scalp application. This has helped but I feel that i'm only say 70/80% cured. I've been regularly seeing him to see how things are going and my last visit was 3 weeks ago when I mentioned the possibility of it being my regular applications of chemical dyes and could this be the reason for the itch? He thought it was possible.

Now my "last" chemical dye was 5 weeks ago and I'm not going to use them again and have gone down the henna route (lush henna). Previously I had used chemical dye (perm or semi) roughly every 5/6 weeks, probably regularly for the last 3/4 years.

If my last dye was 5 weeks ago, is it possible that the scalp could still be irritated? Do these things really take a while to settle? I also experienced a sore scalp too but this seems to have settled - that's why I wonder if it was the dye but not sure it would still be affecting me now or does the scalp take quite a long time to recover?

Anyway since finding this wonderful forum, I've read so many interesting and helpful things. I've done some searches on itchy scalps and it does seem that quite a few people suffer so now I'm not sure if it's something about me or I have a reaction to something? Now if you look at my scalp you wont find anything wrong, no redness, scabs, flaking - my doctor has checked and also my brother (who's a hairdresser) and my hair is in really good condition.

After reading some posts here, I've since switched over to an SLS free shampoo (started this last week) and started to ACV rinses after shampoo and condition - I am rinsing out the ACV with water after and not leaving it in. Are these good things to be doing?

Can anyone else suggest trying something else?

I wash my hair 2/3 times a week. I've switched between so many shampoo and conditioners which haven't made it worse or better so I'm not sure what the culprit is?

The places it bothers me most is the nape and the crown.

Am I doing the right thing for starters? Could I be massaging a particular oil into my scalp for example? And I don't comb or brush my scalp if that has any bearing.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

manderly
June 18th, 2009, 02:49 AM
Sounds like you're doing the right things so far. The chemical dye could definitely be causing you problems 5 weeks after the fact.

If you don't get any relief in the next month or so, I would suggest you try Morocco Method. I haven't tried it personally but it gets rave reviews for clearing scalp issues :)

Jenny.Wren
June 18th, 2009, 03:32 AM
ok thanks. Is the MM products? I'm in the UK.

does anyone have experience of these products or do the ingredients look ok to you?

http://www.greenpeople.co.uk/productdetails.aspx?ProductID=E6D0BAA9-1887-4AB6-ABA1-CD65F28F8C58

I called them and they recommended this one