PDA

View Full Version : traction alopecia causing PERMANENT bald spot

liseling
June 17th, 2009, 04:43 PM
I was just reading another thread in the Mane Forum: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=27692

and in the article that the thread links to it says that traction alopecia, like always wearing a pony tail in the same place, can cause a permanent bald spot because the pulling over time damages the hair follicles.

I had never heard of this and it scares me! My basic around the house folded ponytail thingy is often in the same place but I really dont know where else I would put it except nape, and the idea is to keep the hair from touching my skin so I can work out etc.

Well needless to say I'll be doing a lot LESS of THAT :rolleyes:

This also got me thinking that when I do buns with sticks/forks they are also in the same place. Could these also cause traction alopecia too??? This is really worrying me now!

Rohele
June 17th, 2009, 04:46 PM
I'm not sure, but I think you have to be pulling your hair really tight for this to happen. Its a good argument for varying hairstyles though.

longhairedfairy
June 17th, 2009, 11:55 PM
You have to have it really tight in the same place all the time. Maiko (apprentice geiko) eventually get a bald spot from wearing their hair a certain way 24/7.

Feye
June 18th, 2009, 12:57 AM
I've read that it could happen with tight hair extensions pulling on the hair on the same spot. But those are not taken out for weeks and that's different from ponytails. :confused:

I like to vary my hairstyles due to comfort. For example, cinnabun during the day, wear it loose in the evening, then braid during night. If the scalp is feeling sore in an updo, that's a warning I guess and I would redo it or take it down.

jera
June 18th, 2009, 01:11 AM
I've heard of this too, but wear ponytails daily for workouts and have never had a problem.:D I think you're just not supposed to pull hair too tightly. As long as you don't notice any excessive loss from your hairstyle you should be okay. :) If you do see loss, switch styles.

liseling
June 18th, 2009, 03:54 AM
I've never noticed loss, but I have gotten sore scalp from wearing my hair in a stick. It's annoying, because I thought that using sticks instead of elastics would be better for your scalp, but now I'm worried. I think I'll try changing it up a bit during the day from now on. Hopefully I can remember to do that!