PDA

View Full Version : Hair suggestions for motorcycle ride?

mtstorm
June 17th, 2009, 10:53 AM
Hi,
I need some suggestions for ways to put up my hair while on the back of the bike. I have done the typical style with the many ties down the back but the wind is still really hard on my hair. I have taken to putting my pony tail with many ties inside of my jacket but it gets uncomfortable after so many hours. I would prefer to figure out some type of bun that could hide inside the helmet with me, but so far I have not found a bun that can do that.
Thanks! :)

Curlsgirl
June 17th, 2009, 12:12 PM
I doubt any bun would actually fit INSIDE the helmet because the helmet probably wouldn't be safe in that case if it were that big. If you put your hair inside the jacket it shouldn't be uncomfortable if you only do a braid. I usually do a single braid and bring it around to the front and tuck it in or fold the braid under and put a couple of big silky scrunchies over it to protect it if I leave it out. That has been the most comfortable way for me so far. There are hair gloves you might be interested in, can't remember the site but someone will come along who knows. You might google hair gloves. I don't really want to fool with anything like that but you might. I get headaches really easily with anything too heavy in my hair.

Xandergrammy
June 17th, 2009, 12:53 PM
A braided beehive or vortex bun might work. Take a peek in the articles section.

mtstorm
June 17th, 2009, 01:12 PM
Thanks! The beehive looks like it might work. I'll have to put the helmet on hair first. ;) I do have a hair glove but for some reason I get annoyed wearing it, I think it is the weight.

eternallyverdan
June 17th, 2009, 04:04 PM
If you don't mind looking a bit silly, you can do what I do and use one of those stockings that people put under wigs to get it all up under the helmet. Definitely the most comfortable way for long trips, and you won't have helmet head because your hair is all in the stocking.

GoddesJourney
June 17th, 2009, 04:19 PM
Most long haired people I've seen on motorcycles just put it in one long braid. I've done it myself but my hair was shorter than. If you worry about it catching on anything, you could double it up with a ponytail holder. That way your helmet still fits securely, which is the most important thing.

kdaniels8811
June 17th, 2009, 05:54 PM
Wait, it is around here somewhere, darn it, what did I do with it? I found a website with a doo rag made specifically for longhairs, the ends are a tube that your hair fits into and hangs down your back but still is covered and protected. It is pictured on a woman with waist length hair. I will find the link and post it tomorrow...

mtstorm
June 17th, 2009, 06:01 PM
you can do what I do and use one of those stockings that people put under wigs to get it all up under the helmet.
That sounds brilliant!

hennaphile
June 17th, 2009, 07:32 PM
I saw a member who I think made a special pouch for it, maybe a sock would work? Wind+ hair = :(

Igor
June 18th, 2009, 02:34 AM
A bun is probably a bad idea because it disrupts the protection of the helmet!
I would suggest a brad and tucking the braid under your jacket

MoonCreature
June 18th, 2009, 05:57 AM
I must say a braid is the best I've come up with. What about wearing a buff around your neck and the braid tucked under, following around your neck?

duchessjane
June 18th, 2009, 03:08 PM
I part my hair down the middle and do 2 braids. I won't tuck it under the helmet because of safety concerns with the fit, and I haven't found a sock/wrap solution that doesn't come undone or otherwise annoy me.

This is me after 9 hours of riding a few weeks ago:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2202/3540430795_5ef053d84d_m.jpg

myotislucifugus
June 18th, 2009, 04:02 PM
If you're set on a bun idea, a braided base chinese bun secured with bobby pins might work if it is low enough on the nape. It is what I wear under safety helmets and hats, but I don't have the experience wearing it under motorcycle helmets as I don't ride. Might be worth a shot. Just make sure it doesn't affect the fit of the helmet.

NickalNack
June 18th, 2009, 04:10 PM
I part my hair down the middle and do 2 braids. I won't tuck it under the helmet because of safety concerns with the fit, and I haven't found a sock/wrap solution that doesn't come undone or otherwise annoy me.

This is me after 9 hours of riding a few weeks ago:

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2202/3540430795_5ef053d84d_m.jpg
That is exactly what I was going to suggest!

Stacy_E
June 18th, 2009, 04:12 PM
I wrote an article of a style to protect hair when doing outdoor activities:

Folded Braid Secured with a Buff (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=68)

This is the best style I've found for rock climbing, where I wear a helmet but keep my hair safely away from the elements and rock climbing equipment. I'd think it'd be good for motorcycling as well.

kdaniels8811
June 22nd, 2009, 02:30 PM
I found it! Here is the link - http://mragz.com/. This is a tubular headwrap for waist length hair and longer. Check it out! Sorry, I never did figure out how to link to a reply...

joyinc
July 25th, 2009, 03:50 PM
i asked a similiar question when i first got my bike... and i have to reiterate what was said... helmets are meant to be tight against your head. if your helmet is big enough to fit your hair in a bun, its not the right size.

i always wear a braid down the back. it gets blown around. but i have to admit, i really like it when i check my mirrors and my braid is flying in the wind :)

i just found this thread doing a search for hair gloves... but from other posts i've read they dont sound all that great :(

what about making a satin snood type thing? or a cover for your braid if you dont want it loose?

Aurea
July 25th, 2009, 11:46 PM
One or two French or English braids (whichever is more comfortable, but I find French is more secure and less likely to start losing tendrils around the nape). I've found that if I braid three wide ribbons into the braid (one for each strand), it makes a stronger/more resilient braid that holds up better because the hair is partly "wrapped."

You can also just actually wrap the outside of the braid with two ribbons - start in an area inside the helmet, braid the ribbons through the "French" part of the braid, then at the nape braid the hair by itself and then wrap the resulting braid with the ribbons in a criss-cross pattern all the way down, securing them in the elastic that holds your hair at the end. This would probably be the strongest/most protective style.

Flynn
July 25th, 2009, 11:51 PM
Can you fit a/a pair of tucked-under French braid(s) under your helmet?

pradabacon
July 26th, 2009, 12:19 AM
Here's a cool site with lots of accessories for long hair when biking.
http://www.bikertails.com/index.html

Maybe you could get a cool-looking pair of tights or leggings and cut out the center part of one leg to make a long hair wrap that you could pull a braid or ponytail through?

klcqtee
July 26th, 2009, 12:21 AM
What if you did a Victorian styled updo? You know the one where they braid it, then fold it up 3 or 4 times? I'll find a link...someone on here does a brilliant version of it.
Something similar to the bottom left panel:
http://thatcostumegirl.com/gallery/d/231-2/v_hair_1.jpg

I think this might work, if you place it low at the base of your neck. I know someone on here (with dark brown knee + length hair) does a beautiful example of what would work for you (I think). Good luck!