PDA

View Full Version : Need Some Help

L4dybug
June 17th, 2009, 10:18 AM
Hello everyone :)

I love the idea of using coconut oil on my hair. But so far my hair does not seem to like it, I love the shine it gives, but since I started using it, my hair seems to be dryer and crunchy. Has this happen to anyone else? I tried to use quite a bit from the ears down the night before a wash, that did not work out for me, my hair was way too oily at the scalp, I rinsed and rinsed, and ended up having to rewash it.

I also tried just using it on my ends when hair was dry. I loved the shine, but like I said in the above, it is getting dryer and crunchy. So I have since stopped using it.

My hair is naturally wavy, in the past I have tried to go against the wave, because my hair wants to frizz when air dried. I want to be able to let my hair air dry and go with my natural waves without the frizz. I have tried CO washes, but it leaves my hair too oily. So I have since went back to my regular hair routine of washing every other day, and using conditioner, my hair seems to like that best. Until I can find something better that my hair likes.

Any tips, advise on how to tame this wild mane? LOL. Thanks

HairColoredHair
June 17th, 2009, 10:22 AM
Do you apply on wet or dry hair? Some people have crunch issues on one or the other.

L4dybug
June 17th, 2009, 10:31 AM
I applied it on my hair while it was dry.

heidihug
June 17th, 2009, 10:54 AM
If I use coconut oil as a leave-in, on dry or wet/damp hair, it makes my hair crunchy, too. However, if I use it as a pre-wash treatment on the bottom half of my hair, it turns out very nice - shiny and soft. You may want to give it a try. I leave it on for about an hour before washing.

MandaMom2Three
June 17th, 2009, 10:58 AM
Coconut oil doesn't do it for me either :shrug:

L4dybug
June 17th, 2009, 10:59 AM
If I use coconut oil as a leave-in, on dry or wet/damp hair, it makes my hair crunchy, too. However, if I use it as a pre-wash treatment on the bottom half of my hair, it turns out very nice - shiny and soft. You may want to give it a try. I leave it on for about an hour before washing.

Thanks, I will give it a try.

Unnamed
June 17th, 2009, 11:04 AM
You might try wet or damp.

The only way my hair will accept oils is on still wet hair and after a dab of conditioner has been applied (also on still wet hair). Dry doesn't work. Damp doesn't work. Even wet didn't work. Damp after conditioner sometimes works, but not always. My hair is very picky. It only likes the first (it will tolerate heavy pre-wash oiling pretty good, but it doesn't always wash out, but then that's fine).

My hair also just really does not like coconut oil at all (for me it's not just dry and crunchy, but very brittle and, er, let's just say it's a really bad oil for my hair--it is okay periodically as a heavier pre-wash oiling,t hough). So if altering the above doesn't help, you might want to try a different oil.

Other thoughts:
I've seen mention of oils not working when using cone containing conditioners.
By your last paragraph I'm wondering: Did you use conditioner after the wash but before the dry oiling? If by chance you didn't use it, add the conditioner back in. If you did, ignore this and try a little bit on damp or wet just washed hair, or maybe even what I'm doing.

zen_oven
June 17th, 2009, 11:28 AM
This happened to me but with jojoba oil. Wet or dry didn't seem to matter with my hair. Have you tried any other kinds of oil? You hair may just not like coconut oil.

Eventually my hubby got me some Ojon for Christmas, and my hair really loves that. I'm sworn for life. :)

Firefly
June 17th, 2009, 11:35 AM
I had similar issues with coconut oil and experimented ad nauseam to find an application method that worked for me: a very small amount applied to damp hair. It's easy for me to use too much, and my hair gets all crunchy. But just that small amount, applied weekly, works well. That said, I've found that for me, with any oil, occasionally clarifying is needed.

Good luck. :flower:

hellkitty
June 17th, 2009, 11:42 AM
I second the 'try other oils'! For me it depends on what I'm doing. If my hair's in a braid, it LOVES CO. It gets all the benefits of the oil, and I get the gloss and smoothness and knowing that it's getting all the good stuff.

If I'm bunning, I tend to switch between jojoba (much lighter and no crunchies as far as I've seen) and Vatika. I can't speak for frizzies and curlies (my hair is distressingly straight) but I've read on this site that lighter oils like jojoba and sweet almond give benefits without weighing down curls. Maybe some of the wavier haired people can confirm or deny?

Something that I did that might have helped (I don't know). I really grease up my hair a few hours before I wash. That seems to have helped the uber dry condition of my hair to be somewhat repaired--I need to use *less* daily oil now than I do when I started oiling, and my hair doesn't get crunchy. Try that for a few washes and see if that helps cut down on the crunchies.

HK

Furiana
June 17th, 2009, 11:46 AM
FWIW, coconut oil has protein in it. Does your hair react the same way to other protein-containing products?

L4dybug
June 17th, 2009, 12:37 PM
Thanks everyone for the help :).

I have been using the coconut oil after shampooing and conditioning, after my hair has dried. I have not as of yet tried it to my hair wet/damp. I am going to first try it a few hours before shampooing, and see if that works, if not I will try it while it is damp/wet.

No I have not tried any other oils as of yet since I'm new at oiling. I may need to switch to a lighter oil.

The shampoo and conditioner I have recently been using is Pantene Moisture Balance. My hair seems to like that, but I want to get away from this type of shampoo and conditioner.

I also recently tried Mane 'n Tail shampoo and conditioner, and my hair did not like that, it made it dry as well, only used it twice. Can't use that anymore. So I went back to the Pantene until I can get me some new shampoo and conditioner. I am going to switch to an all natural shampoo and conditoner with herbs. I think I will give Aubrey Organics a try, or if anyone has a better idea let me know.

Thanks again everyone :)

Anje
June 17th, 2009, 08:42 PM
There shouldn't be protein in coconut oil -- it's oil, not ground-up coconut. It can help prevent protein loss, though, and some people who are sensitive to protein also get crunchy effects from coconut oil.

Otherwise, I'm going to put out another echo about trying a small amount of coconut oil on damp or wet hair. (I like it right after I remove the towel after a shower. The oil lubricates a bit and makes the combing process even easier.) Also, give other oils a try. Lots of folks like jojoba, as you've seen. Camellia seed oil is another good one for a lot of folks, and my recent experiment has been with sesame oil, which gives a nice amount of slip. Another thing to try is blending a bit of oil with some conditioner, and applying a small amount of that as a leave-in.

Main 'n' Tail is a bit heavy on the proteins, IIRC, which can make hair dry if you're sensitive to that.

ReddishRocks
June 18th, 2009, 12:23 AM
I'm starting to wonder about coconut oil... I know that there's some research to support that coconut oil helps to retain protein ( http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12715094 ), but I think it's also interesting to note what some other folks thought about the whole temperature situation concerning coconut oil ( http://www.longhaircareforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=92912 ). I think I may need to retract some previous comments I've made! LOL