PDA

View Full Version : Cold Water Rinse?

Elizabeth
April 9th, 2008, 04:14 PM
Do you do a final rinse with cold water when you wash your hair?

And, if you do, does it make a noticeable difference in how your hair looks and feels?

I used to do this regularly, and then I got away from it. I’m thinking about doing it again, but I have to admit that I wonder how effective it really is. I just wondered whether people saw a difference in their hair as a result of this practice.

Ohio Sky
April 9th, 2008, 04:22 PM
It does make a noticeable difference to me, in softness and shine, but I just dont have what it takes to make myself do a cold water rinse most of the time. Brrrrr....

Riot Crrl
April 9th, 2008, 04:26 PM
I know that it should work, but I just can't stand it.

yogachic
April 9th, 2008, 05:17 PM
I've only done it a handle full of time, but Can I say BRRRR! I wouldn't mind if my whole body didn't have to freeze too.

Feisty Redhead
April 9th, 2008, 05:30 PM
My hair is much softer when I do a cold water rinse as opposed to when I don't; it seems to have more slip too. I don't mind the cold water rinse either, so I guess I'm in the minority in that aspect of it. :lol:

j4zzin
April 9th, 2008, 05:53 PM
I've only recently started doing cold water rinses, and I voted that I'm not sure. It seems easier to manage when it's wet to comb (with my ultra-wide hair pick). Now that's it gotten much warmer around here, I find the cool rinse refreshing. I usually try to angle my head back far enough so I don't get as much cold water rinsing down my back and legs. As soon as I pull back the curtain I'm in a big fluffy towel in a steamy bathroom anyway, so my body temp is all right. :D

Lizbot
April 9th, 2008, 06:04 PM
I do a cold water rinse every time. My hair is much shinier and softer. I also believe that it returns the hair shaft to a more normal length than letting it be, so it's less apt to break. All of these reasons allow me to withstand all that cold water... even in winter.

Anje
April 9th, 2008, 06:26 PM
I used to do it when I was younger and apparently immune to cold. Lately, though, I haven't been able to notice enough of a difference to make it worth freezing myself after my pleasantly warm shower.

Yari
April 9th, 2008, 06:45 PM
Yes, i always do a final rinse with cold water. My hair is silky, shiny and more manageable afterwars.

I would just like to add that I don`t pour the cold water over my body, except during summer. I have a large can to fill in my homemade lemon juice based hair rinse. After rinsing my hair, I wash the can out and fill in cold water. I grab (gentle) my hair over my shoulder and dunk (also gentle) my hair several times in the can of cold water. In the end I can pour the water over my head (sideways), but I don`t need it. I gently squeeze the excess water out of my hair and wrap my hair in a towel while I'm still in the shower. What can I do about my freezing feet? :D You get the picture?

CaityBear
April 9th, 2008, 07:14 PM
I try to do it every time and I've noticed that my hair is much softer.

And since I shower in the morning before school while I'm slightly still asleep the cold water is a nice wake up call. :D

Morag
April 9th, 2008, 07:41 PM
I don't get the "freezing in the shower" effect, because I wash hair separately. That way, the rest of my body can stay warm and dry while I'm gradually decreasing the warmth of my rinse water. If I change the temp gradually, I can get it pretty cool without feeling a shock.

This won't work after my crown layers grow out, though. Right now I just bend over and stick head under the tub tap. That gives 18 inches, at best, for hair to hang down from the crown before being sucked into the drain. :euuch:

I had to answer "not sure" because I started doing the cold rinse and the CO at the same time, and my hair is infinitely softer and slippier, but I don't know which action is responsible for what portion of that change.

Jeni
April 9th, 2008, 08:39 PM
I do a cold rinse, I think it makes me hair shinier, but I've never really done a comparison study. I mainly do it to get myself out of the shower. The final rinse is cold=unpleasant which means I want to get out of the shower, if I leave it warm I tend to linger under the warm water. In the winter I usually cant bring myself to make the water cold, so I do a cool rinse.

Jeni

Vela
April 9th, 2008, 08:55 PM
I've only done it a few times, but I don't because I normaly have to coverup with a heavy blanket for 15-20mins to warm back up. (Cold and me SO do not mix!)
There is a big diffrence with my hair when I do do a cold rinse, I just don't do it so often because of how cold I get.

Shirlpunzel
April 9th, 2008, 09:03 PM
I do a cold water rinse every time I wash, and have done so for years.

I started doing this when I first started growing my hair and saw cold water rinses mentioned on tlhs. It made a huge difference! I have much more slip when my hair is dry, and the wet hair seems easier to work with too(though my hair always wants to stick together to some degree when it's wet). It seems to make my hair shinier too, but in my case, the slip is the primary benefit, as my hair tangles super-easy.

as far as avoiding the body freeze aspect, leaning back works well, and leaning to the side works well for me too. In our shower, to the side seems to work a little better than back. If you happen to have the type of shower head that you can move around, that helps too because you can adjust the direction that the water moves in. Something else I've learned is that (if you can stand it taking slightly longer to rinse) you can avoid creating tangles by lowering the water pressure as low as you can - that way the force of the water isn't moving your hair around.

If you just can't stand the cold water on your scalp/skin, perhaps at least try rinsing just the length with cold water after rinsing the scalp however you normally would.

AJoifulNoise
April 9th, 2008, 09:08 PM
I do a cold rinse. I find that it smooths down my hair. And, I find it refreshing. I generally do all of my washing in hot water then rinse my hair and face (WO on face anyway) with cold water then do an ice cold rinse on my hair before hopping out.

1nuitblanche
April 9th, 2008, 09:31 PM
Usually I shower right before bed, so cold water is pretty unappealing, except in summer sometimes. But, even when I did, I didn't notice a big difference.

Nevermore
April 9th, 2008, 11:37 PM
I've been doing cold-as-my-shower-provides rinses for hmmm...around a year I guess. Sometimes I don't do them and my hair gets tangled pretty easily (whereas, with the cold rinse, it barely tangles at all ever), my scalp gets oily faster, my hair is less shiny and feels rough-ish.

I enjoy the cold rinse on my body too, most of the time. If I can't possibly stand the cold water as an end to the shower, I cold rinse my hair quickly, squeal madly, squeeze most of the water out with the shower still on, put my hair up with a knitting needle (it's so much gentler on my hair wet than the cheap plastic sticks I use normally) and use nice hot water on my body with my hair out of the way.

XtinaXposed
April 10th, 2008, 03:22 AM
i don't see a difference. so i let it be, because i hate the cold. i also think that when the cold water closes the hair shaft then oils are useless because the hair isn't able to absorb it, or am i wrong?

Newniepg
April 10th, 2008, 09:15 AM
I started cold rinse and CO at the same time...I think it makes it shine more, but the general softness I attribute to CO. Sometimes though (like today) I just can't hack the chilliness!

lora410
April 10th, 2008, 09:18 AM
For me it makes my hair softer, smoother, and alot shinier. I did a comparison between the cold and warm and the cold wins hands down for me. I lean back as far as O can, ring out gently, place on top my head, and then get under the warm warer for a second so I don't get cold.

jesamyn
April 10th, 2008, 09:42 AM
I did cold water rinses for a while. I would just lean WAY back so that it went through my hair and less on my body. I got away from doing it, and now I don't really even notice a difference. However, I'll admit that I still don't rinse it in water the same temp as I use on the rest of my person. I still cut it down to well below body temp, but not 'cold'.

Arashi
April 10th, 2008, 09:44 AM
I do freezing cold-water rinses every shower (I do this sort of messed-up looking acrobatic thing where my head is near the bottom of the shower and only my hair gets the blast) and every time I do.. I notice that my hair is much shinier, tangle-free, and less prone to frizz.

Elizabeth
April 10th, 2008, 09:55 AM
I've only recently started doing cold water rinses, and I voted that I'm not sure. It seems easier to manage when it's wet to comb (with my ultra-wide hair pick). Now that's it gotten much warmer around here, I find the cool rinse refreshing. I usually try to angle my head back far enough so I don't get as much cold water rinsing down my back and legs. As soon as I pull back the curtain I'm in a big fluffy towel in a steamy bathroom anyway, so my body temp is all right. :D

I do this too, when I do the cold water rinse. I think of it as hair yoga! :)

eadwine
April 10th, 2008, 11:35 AM
I have done this cold rinse thing from the getgo of growing my hair longer, and I honestly have no clue if it works. People do tell me regularly how incredibly shiny it is though, so maybe it is from that :)

LydiaMarie
April 10th, 2008, 07:36 PM
I do a cold rinse when im done with my shower . I can stand my scalp being ice cold but not so much my back .

rubyann
April 11th, 2008, 06:51 PM
My hair is much shinier with a cold water rinse.

jtl45
May 8th, 2008, 06:37 PM
I am definately convinced i have a much better shine when I rinse with cold water! I don't always like the cold water but the results are worth it!
Jim

jojo
May 8th, 2008, 07:00 PM
I have been doing cold water rinses before i found the site, my hair is much whinnier, softer and much easier to comb when i do this.

Plus i like to think the cold water stimulates my scalp and makes those hairs reach for the sun!

Irishred
May 8th, 2008, 08:27 PM
I use CHEESE...:cheese:

I do cold water on occasion and my hair does feel and look better when I do. I just cannot stand the cold that just about no matter what I do it does not stay to JUST my hair. Summer time is coming though so I'm sure the cold water rinses my start up again for me.

AprilElf
May 8th, 2008, 09:35 PM
My final rinse in the shower is as cool as I can stand (I'm not gonna freeze myself!), and then I do an ACV rinse in the basin in cold water.
I think it helps with smoothness, but my conditioner and the ACV rinse also help, so I don't have a definitive answer for that. :shrug:
But I have found that it really helps with rinsing out the final bit of product.

nicolezoie
May 8th, 2008, 09:52 PM
The function of cool rinsing your hair is more or less the same as using a cool rinse on your face - except instead of closing up your pores, you're closing up the scales of the shaft of your hair.

It works fairly well, but you don't have to turn the cold tap all the way on for it to work - just cool enough so that it wakes you up a little.

Daoine Sidhe
May 9th, 2008, 11:13 AM
Cold rinses give my hair a lot more shine.
It works wonders for the skin too !!

Speedbump
May 9th, 2008, 11:22 AM
I wanted to add a caveat to my answer, which was "No difference." It depends on my routine. My current routine is diluted shampoo and then conditioner. On that routine, the cold water rinse does nothing. :lol: BUT, when I was doing WO last year, cold-water rinsing was very helpful to me and did indeed make a difference.

akka naeda
May 9th, 2008, 11:30 AM
Although my hair doesn't tangle much anyway when I wash it, it tangles less when I do the cold water rinse. But I do my rinse by filling the wash basin with cold water, adding ACV and also if I am using it Hibiscus tea. The effect may be due to the ACV in some way rather than the cold water.

julya
May 9th, 2008, 11:35 AM
I don't often wet my whole length, but I always use a cold water rinse when I do. It makes my hair have more shine.

florenonite
May 9th, 2008, 11:39 AM
I do them when I remember. I think there's a slight difference, but that may just be my imagination running wild.

Stephanie
May 9th, 2008, 12:05 PM
It makes a huge difference in my hair. I should do it more. :silly:

ginalaurie
May 9th, 2008, 12:17 PM
If I can't possibly stand the cold water as an end to the shower, I cold rinse my hair quickly, squeal madly, squeeze most of the water out with the shower still on, put my hair up with a knitting needle (it's so much gentler on my hair wet than the cheap plastic sticks I use normally) and use nice hot water on my body with my hair out of the way.

You and me, both, Nevermore. That's just what I do, except I don't put mine up with a knitting needle. I just let mine hang down my backside and let the hot water run down the front. The cold water rinse does seem to keep my hair from getting oily as fast, but I have to finish my shower off with a "hot water topper".

Also, when I'm doing the cold water, I lean WAY back to keep as much of my body as possible out of the water. Hey, come to think of it, it's probably good for my flexiblity, hmmm, hair yoga! I should start a thread for all the extra postures and gyrations we do to accommodate our long hair.

justgreen
May 9th, 2008, 12:19 PM
I do it every wash. Then I follow it with a rinse of distilled water, sometimes I put stuff in the distilled. Orange blossom water/citric acid/jojoba oil.

Tabitha
May 9th, 2008, 12:20 PM
I sort of do ... I have hard water here with iron deposits which means the limescale on bathroom fittings is visibly pinky-orange. My hair was getting an orangey cast too.

So I do my final rinse with a pint of Brita-filtered water which is at room temperature. As others have said I decrease the temperature of the shower water from very hot to slightly above body temperature, then hold my hair to one sideaway from me, dunk it in the beaker of Brita water and finish by pouring the whole lot over my head. I incline my head so as little as possible of the cool water goes over my body.

Having said all that, I don't remember if it has made any difference to shininess :rolleyes: so I didn't vote in the poll.

Stephanie
May 9th, 2008, 12:31 PM
Tabitha - your hair is to die for. :bigeyes:

doodlesmart
May 9th, 2008, 12:39 PM
I voted yes, but really I do either an ACV or a cold water rinse. I used to do just cold water and that worked fine, but I then found that I got similar results with the ACV. So now I do ACV and save myself the cold. But if I'm traveling, I don't lug ACV around and so do cold water rinses instead.

Islandgrrl
May 9th, 2008, 02:51 PM
Add me to the cheese category because I'd rather rub cheese on my head that have to deal with icy water!!! Brrrrrr!!!! I hate being cold!

flapjack
May 9th, 2008, 06:38 PM
I do it pretty regularly and it makes it shinier, I think.

Tabitha
May 9th, 2008, 07:05 PM
Tabitha - your hair is to die for. :bigeyes:

Thank you Stephanie! :flower: any credit should go entirely to TLHC :flowers:

n3m3sis42
May 9th, 2008, 07:38 PM
I do a cold water rinse every time. It makes my hair a LOT shinier and softer. How cold the rinse is sort of varies based on what I can tolerate that day.

Isilya
May 10th, 2008, 07:49 AM
I do a cold water rinse every time, but I voted 'not sure' because I started doing it at the same time I took up CWC, so I don't know what it is that makes my hair shiny :shrug:

blue_nant
May 18th, 2008, 07:28 PM
That's one fine avatar, Elizabeth!

Cold water is to ffffffffrigid for me. Cool is too frrrrrrigid for me. I do the miniumum I can stand. And I usually forget.

Indigo Girl
May 18th, 2008, 07:45 PM
I do a cold rinse *almost* every wash. My body hates it (so cold!) but my hair loves it, so I suck it up and deal with it.

Haith
May 19th, 2008, 06:13 PM
I always rinse with cool (not cold) water because it feels so nice! It sooths my irritated-from-shaving skin and makes my scalp feel so fresh. I have very shiny hair naturally, so I don't really know if it adds to it or not...

Teilani
May 19th, 2008, 09:19 PM
I live in the sub-arctic; when it’s not -40 or worse I will do the cold water rinse at the end of my morning shower. When it’s -40 or colder, my hair is going to have a bad day anyway so it's only slightly cooler than wonderfully hot because I’m not going to start freezing any sooner than I must.

I opted for the not sure but do it anyway, mostly because it tends to have only a moderate result, but I go to more trouble than that for fewer results in other areas, and that bit of a shock isn't such a bad thing to finish waking me up enough so I can make my morning tea.

talula_fairie
May 20th, 2008, 02:39 PM
I just can't stand the cold water and I didn't see enough of a difference in my hair to want to do it.

Saranne772
May 21st, 2008, 09:46 AM
I put not sure because over the winter Ive not been able to bring myself to rinse in cold. I will have to go back to cold rinses again and see.

socks
May 21st, 2008, 02:30 PM
A cold rinse seems to make my hair softer and shinier, but it also seems to make my hair more wavy and thus more prone to tangles.

Katrina
May 22nd, 2008, 04:43 PM
Not sure, but I do it anyway. I've done it longer than I can remember. I always bend forward when washing and rinsing (and wear rubber boots then... such a weirdo :D), so cold water isn't a problem.

Leisha
May 22nd, 2008, 05:40 PM
I voted not sure, but I do it anyway :D I haven't not done a cold water rinse in years, so I don't know what my hair looks like if I don't do it.

But for some reason, I do always do the rinse; I'd feel totally weird if I didn't do it. I've been meaning to give it a try withouth the cold rinse, to see if my hair would be less shiny for example. But it's like a compulsion, I just *have* to do it! LOL

I just like how it makes my head feel, or something :p nice and refreshed.

Oh yeah, like Katrina I also wash my hair while bending forwards so I only get cold water on my hair and scalp. (I don't wear rubber boots though!! :D)

CurlyOne
May 27th, 2008, 09:20 PM
I think it helps my hair but I have to pretty consistent about it and use really cold water.

RavennaNight
May 28th, 2008, 10:55 AM
I find my hair to be smoother when I rinse cold. I'll admit its easier and refreshing in the summer. The winter is another story. Brrr!

Wavelength
May 28th, 2008, 12:24 PM
I'm one of the weirdos who actually like the cold rinse at the end. To me it feels very refreshing, especially in the summer months. (Although if it's the dead of winter I sometimes have to talk myself into it!)

I don't notice a big difference, but cold water definitely helps with softness and shine. My hair seems to get less tangles as well.

Awalia
May 28th, 2008, 12:30 PM
I always cold rinse. I bend my body backwards so that only my scalp and hair get cold water, i dont want to freeze! After that, i unsually warm my body with warm water, without letting it touch my hair. I dont know does it make any difference, because i always do it.

FrannyG
May 28th, 2008, 04:00 PM
I try to cold rinse every time, but I admit to dreading that cold feeling on occasion. :p I really do notice a difference in slip and shine when I cold rinse.

cherryblossom
June 24th, 2008, 12:40 PM
i do it every time, i can't say i don't notice it getting shinier but i do it because it's refreshing and makes me less sleepy :)

kaorifun
July 1st, 2008, 10:54 AM
I'm not really sure if it makes much of a difference, so I only do it occasionally. Most days I can't stand the idea of putting cold water on my head.

PetiteHatter
July 1st, 2008, 03:30 PM
My hair is much softer when I use cold water, but I hate when my body is freezing cold..

Boon
July 1st, 2008, 03:53 PM
Not sure, but I do it anyway. I like the refreshing feeling of cold water on my scalp. But I don't like cold water on my body so I bend my body backwards when I do the cold water rinse.

Patrycja
July 2nd, 2008, 09:29 AM
I begun rinsing with cold water when I had no other choice :) My hot water heater went out and I had to wash my hair with ice cold water.No other choice.I did notice a immediate difference in feel and shine.Now-I do it all the time.Just not ice cold :silly:

janaana
July 2nd, 2008, 04:17 PM
This does make a difference to my hair; it makes it much less tangled and a lot easier to comb. I think it does make it more shiny too. I haven't remembered to do this for ages but I think I'll start again. Thanks for the reminder!

I always wash my hair separately from showering even if I want to do both. I wash my hair first, leaning forward, wrap it in a towel and then take a shower because I can't stand my hair tangling round me. I hadn't realised how few people do this until I read through all the posts here.

Elanor
July 23rd, 2008, 05:11 AM
I do a cold water rinse after almost every wash, but I don't think it makes any big difference in my hair. I like the refreshening feeling tho.

Monsterkitti
July 23rd, 2008, 05:48 AM
I put not sure as I started it when I started LHC and started other things so bit difficult to see if it has made much of a difference. I think it feels like it makes a difference, it feel smoother after a cold rinse.

Nizhoni
July 23rd, 2008, 06:22 AM
Before I started CO-ing the cold water rinse made my hair much less static and more shiny, now the difference is less noticeable but I still rinse with cold water.

DotDotDot
July 23rd, 2008, 10:38 AM
I really don't see or feel any difference at all, but I do it anyway. :shrug: I don't mind it that much anyway.

lady_hero
July 23rd, 2008, 11:01 AM
I notice a difference. My scalp doesn't itch as much and dandruff is minimal.

zen_oven
July 29th, 2008, 08:07 PM
Cheese. :cheese:

I can't bring myself to rinse with cold water. I HATE being cold. I guess I may have to try it while it's still hot out just to see if there is any difference.

ZaBasDa
July 29th, 2008, 08:22 PM
I used to do cold rinses. They made my hair very shiny and smooth. And when I say cold, I mean ice cold. What I would do is gradually lower the shower temp, so I wouldn't shock my body with the freezing water. Then it always felt warmer when I got out of the shower. I need to start these again.

greekprincess
July 30th, 2008, 07:28 AM
I've tried a cold water rinses...and boy oh boy I can't handle it at all...I am a big wimp. I just use a luke warm final rinse...that is all I can handle.

Merkaba
July 31st, 2008, 02:29 PM
Yes, I always do a cold water rinse right before I leave the shower. I think it makes my hair slightly shinier, and lays down a bit flatter than without doing it.

ReddestDream
July 31st, 2008, 06:02 PM
I always rise with the water as cold as I can get it after I condition.

My hair is definitely shinier, smoother, and better behaved since I've started!

Like ZaBasDa (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/member.php?u=13451), I have to cool the water off gradually so I don't freeze to death! shudder:

I've also noticed it seems to help my scalp feel cleaner longer.

Autumn
July 31st, 2008, 06:05 PM
I try to always do one, but I think that dilute ACV and honey make a bigger difference in my hair (in terms of shine).

OhioLisa
July 31st, 2008, 06:17 PM
I have always done this, just because I can't stand feeling super hot for long. Whether it helps or not, I wouldn't know. :shrug:

burns_erin
August 13th, 2008, 07:29 AM
I am not sure at all if it actually helps my hair, but my scalp is definitely happier when i do it. I do a really warm rinse then a really cool rinse.

rapunzoe
August 13th, 2008, 11:38 AM
Sometimes I rinse in cold water, and other times I just can't stand the cold water. It makes a noticeable difference, and my hair is shinier and softer but especially in the winter, it's just not worth it.

NurseMama
August 13th, 2008, 11:40 AM
I have a handheld shower nozzle which is a wonderful amazing invention! I can do the cold water rinse on the coldest day of winter and not hit my body with it!

That said, I really am not sure if it makes a difference or not, but I do it anyways!

Juneii
August 13th, 2008, 11:42 AM
ooh, I always fail at cold water rinses. I like taking hot showers so my body doesn't like it when I wash my hair with cold water. I end up just going with lukewarm.
I did try cold water a while ago and it worked really well. my hair was smooth and soft. and it was less tangled getting out of the shower.

easternsunrise
August 13th, 2008, 12:20 PM
I actually like the cold water rinse especially this time of year. I'm pretty warm blooded to begin with...maybe that's why.:eyebrows:

ruby_tuesday
August 13th, 2008, 01:07 PM
Yes I always do the final rinse with cold water, it makes my hair a bit smoother and shinier. But I avoid the roots, because it's too cold!

bkitty09
August 13th, 2008, 05:01 PM
If I do a cold water rinse after I rinse out my cone conditioner, my hair seems a little softer and has more slip. I just don't think it transfers over when my hair is dry.

Chromis
August 15th, 2008, 03:27 PM
My hair does like cold water rinse, but I'm much too wimpy! Sometimes I'll turn the water down to the slightly cooler side of lukewarm but I mostly will take hot showers even in the summer unless I am very drastically overheating indeed. I dislike getting the cold water on my scalp because it takes me so long to warm up again and sometimes gives me a headache.

chrissy-b
August 22nd, 2008, 03:16 PM
I do the cold water rinses every now and again but they don't seem to make a difference in the texture or shine, but I have read that alternating warm and cold water aid in circulation which is good for growth.

Little_Bird
August 23rd, 2008, 03:20 PM
I started doing this maybe a year ago and I love it. I do it in the Winter and all. I notice diference on my hair and on my skin. It's a slight diference, but for the better! It also makes me feel very good after taking bath.

Soniasonia
August 23rd, 2008, 03:26 PM
Definitely comes out smoother. Not to mention it feels great! Especially in summer.

rhysiana
August 23rd, 2008, 04:01 PM
I do this pretty much all the time now, and while I'm not sure if it has made a noticeable difference in my hair manageability, I do think it's been helping the hair dry faster. Maybe it's also helping it with slip, though, because I haven't had a lot of tangling in quite some time.

To avoid freezing my body, I generally try to lean way back so the water is only falling on my head and then running down my hair as it hangs away from my back. Unfortunately, I haven't figured out a way to avoid then freezing one arm as I flail away behind me trying to turn the water off without having to step back into the stream of cold water.

Neen
August 25th, 2008, 05:28 AM
I voted Not sure, but I do it anyway, because as chrissy-b mentioned alternating warm and cold water helps get the circulation going and this was actually recommended to me by my doctor.

CaityBear
August 27th, 2008, 08:15 AM
Umm...I don't notice a different really...but I've been doing it pretty much every time I wash my hair for so long that I don't really know how my hair would look without it. lol

pepperminttea
December 28th, 2011, 12:05 PM
Big difference for me - shiny! :) (It might also be because I never really use hot water? I wash in warm, and then do a final cold blast at the very end.)

It is much easier to do in summer than winter though, definitely.

Amber_Maiden
December 28th, 2011, 12:15 PM
i sometimes do it... not sure of any difference.

WinterTree
December 28th, 2011, 06:41 PM
I always do a cold water rinse even before I started lurking here. I love it, my hair is soft and shiny :) and the cold water doesn't bother me either.

ChristyCheryl
December 29th, 2011, 02:44 PM
My hair looks shinier when I do a cold water rinse. :D

JuliaDancer
December 29th, 2011, 02:52 PM
I do a combination of ACV with cold filtered water from the fridge. I tilt my head way over to the side, dunk as much hair as I can in the cup, then dump the rest over my scalp, so none of the cold water touches my body. I feel like my hair breaks less while wet, and is softer and shinier after, but I'm not sure if it's the cold water or the vinegar. I just keep doing the combo.

Charlotte:)
December 29th, 2011, 11:21 PM
I'm not sure if it makes a difference on my hair, but I get too hot in the shower, so I rinse with cold water simply because it feels nice. I guess I'm just hot blooded :)

luxepiggy
December 30th, 2011, 11:15 AM
I do this at the end of every wash, as I definitely see a difference (^(oo)^)v

Renate
December 30th, 2011, 11:56 AM
I do it whenever I can, but I don't see much difference. Still, I keep doing it :)

Egana
December 31st, 2011, 09:55 AM
In the summer I enjoy the cold water at the end of the shower. In the winter I kneel over the side of the tub and run cold water over my head from the tub faucet to wash my hair anyway (showers dry me out in the winter) - so no cold water on my body in the winter time, thank you.

I used to do this after I shampooed - it really helped reduce the drying effect - but now that I don't shampoo, I don't need the cold water rinse. I am CO, with a combed-in conditioner leave-in at the end that works much better for hydration and curl definition. No more cold water rinse for me.

moon2dove
December 31st, 2011, 10:19 AM
I did start, but it's too ruddy cold at the moment! Might try again in Summer :)

cheycheyeyes
December 31st, 2011, 10:43 AM
I do but I don't think i can say I've seen a difference but they say it's good so I do it anyway ;)

Henrietta
December 31st, 2011, 11:07 AM
I do it to prevent my hair from getting worse, but it does not make my hair visibly better.

Garnetgem
January 22nd, 2016, 05:15 AM
Whenever i cold rinse my hair seems more silky and easier to manage with less tangles but it makes it seem less full...

lapushka
January 22nd, 2016, 05:23 AM
It makes no difference for me, so I never cold rinse. I do not use the hottest water my scalp can take, though. I use lukewarm water, on the warm side (comfortable for my head, not cold/lukewarm). So yeah...

lapis_lazuli
January 22nd, 2016, 09:05 AM
^Same here. I don't see a difference by doing it. I just wash in warm water.

parkmikii
January 23rd, 2016, 11:56 AM
I prefer a cool water rinse in the summer as it helps a bit with the heat and it makes the hair look a bit shinier, but in the winter it's a no no for me.

mindfull
February 1st, 2016, 06:36 PM
Cold water shower is how I have had good success with water only washes when I get around to it

Garnetgem
February 1st, 2016, 07:12 PM
Its usually cold rinse but it all depends how my hair behaves that week,sometimes it comes out better with warmer water....

Frankenstein
February 1st, 2016, 11:38 PM
I do this every time I wash my hair, even in winter. I feel like it does make a bit of a difference.

TatsuOni
February 2nd, 2016, 02:27 AM
I've done this for many years and it makes a difference.

Platzhalter
April 9th, 2016, 03:53 AM
Never paid close attention to the effects when occasionally doing this :shrug:

casiopeia
April 9th, 2016, 06:11 AM
I used to do this before and it worked. The first time I tried it made my hair obviously shinier and smoother. For some reason now it doesn't make any difference so I don't cold water rinse anymore. Can't say I miss it.

Ania.
April 9th, 2016, 07:49 AM
I've used cold water rinse last time i washed my hair and i can say it feels a bit smoother and shinier now. When i usdwarm water, it just doesn't feel too great to me :)

lithostoic
April 9th, 2016, 09:12 AM
Doesn't seem to make a difference for me. For a while, I always did it. Then I thought "How necessary is this?" and realized it was not at all. Just an extra (unpleasant) step that was unneeded.

Petulia
April 9th, 2016, 10:31 AM
Usually my hair falls out a lot when I'm applying conditioner and washing it out. I noticed that by using cold water, hardly any hair falls out.

Horrorpops
April 9th, 2016, 10:09 PM
I've done cold water rinses for ages but still honestly not sure it makes a difference for my skin or hair haha but it's such a habit by now I do it anyways lol :o

PurpleKitty11
April 21st, 2016, 02:11 PM
i dont think i have noticed a difference for my 1a hair

mermaid lullaby
April 26th, 2016, 06:13 PM
Cold water doesn't do anything for me

augustana
May 4th, 2016, 03:17 PM
IT makes absolutely no difference and makes me shiver to boot.

school of fish
May 4th, 2016, 04:31 PM
I tried it for a while and the only difference it made was to make me cold out of the shower, haha! No benefit to my hair, and I must say I'm not sad about that since it wasn't an enjoyable experience ;)

I applaud those for whom it works - but, living in the rather nordic climate of Canada, I'm personally very happy to be able to stick with hot water in the shower... ;)

molljo
May 7th, 2016, 10:23 AM
I don't really see a difference, but I do cold water rinse in the summer purely because it's refreshing when it's super hot and muggy out. So, it's more for "that feels great" reasons rather than "my hair will look great" reasons.

Mammasaurusrex
May 9th, 2016, 07:42 AM
I don't particularly see much of a difference when I rinse with cold water, or apple cider vinegar but I do both or at least one or the other every time I shower. I do it just because why not? It doesnt hurt to do it and only takes and extra minute even if I don't know whether or not it really helps my hair.

Groovy Granny
May 9th, 2016, 10:14 PM
I cold water rinse; it dramatically cuts any frizz...especially in the Summer....and adds shine.

dancingfrog
May 25th, 2016, 06:32 AM
Haven't tried this yet, but softer and less frizz? Time to try it!

Xavien_Grey
May 26th, 2016, 08:25 AM
Deff less frizz, but ive noticed that on days when i washed my scalp with lukewarm water it dried with more volume

Garnetgem
May 26th, 2016, 06:31 PM
I sometimes cold rinse it brings out the shine in my hair...mostly i do a tepid water rinse as i still get the shine but without hair going flat...

Hinza
July 15th, 2016, 12:41 PM
I rinse always with cold water and use ACV dilution too. If I dont do so my hair is impossible to clarify properly without oil.

Goatcraft
July 25th, 2016, 05:54 PM
I use to do this until my cosmetologist sister told me it didn't make a difference Lol. Then I went back to a life without cold water torture and realized.. Yeah, it really didn't make a difference.

HairPlease
July 26th, 2016, 08:00 AM
Tried it a couple times. No difference. Although my spouse tells me my shower water is ungodly cold to begin with, so maybe every shower is a cold water rinse for me? LOL!

Cg
July 26th, 2016, 08:35 AM
I detect no difference but I do it because quite cool water feels so good on the scalp.

WinnieCooper
July 26th, 2016, 09:10 AM
I used to take well water cold showers... Even in the winter! Maybe I'm sick in the head but I love the way my body relaxes after a cold shower. Brings me back to my days living in the pennsylvania mountains...swimming in those cold mountain streams every night! It doesn't seem to honestly do much for my hair though.

CarrotTop
July 26th, 2016, 10:45 PM
Believe it or not, I've actually been rinsing with cold water ever since I was little! I grew up in the desert, where summer temperatures would regularly go to about 110 fahrenheit in summer. If I rinsed with hot water, my scalp would feel like a swamp, but if I rinsed with cold water and then went outside in the wind, it became like a personal swamp cooler! :D Honestly, I don't notice much of a difference in my hair, but it does feel nice, even though I don't live in a warm climate anymore.

missmelaniem
July 27th, 2016, 08:41 AM
I wash, rinse, and shower in cold water... mind you I live in state where we are fairly warm most of the year, and it does get a bit nippy in winter, but I find it nice for my scalp and less drying for my skin :)

Seratopia
July 28th, 2016, 11:17 AM
I do it every time and feel like it makes a difference. When I do it and I touch my hair it makes it feel... I have no word for it but sturdy or stiff to the touch once it's out of the water. Ask me if this is a good thing I don't know but it dries silky lol. Maybe someone else knows what I'm talking about.

Thraven
July 29th, 2016, 08:34 AM
Most of the time I end with a cold rinse. And it's mostly for my scalp, and not my hair. I find that it really helps to calm it down, and more "stable" until my next wash. If that makes sense. :lol:

sumirechan
July 31st, 2016, 07:12 PM
I have the habit of doing a final rinse with my hair and body with cool water. It just feels so gooooooood after a warm shower. Lol.

Seriously though, I try not to use warm water on my hair. If ever, I would wash my hair with water that's of lukewarm/tepid temperature

lapis_lazuli
April 29th, 2023, 05:25 PM
I've recently started doing cold rinses, not for my hair, but for my scalp. In the shower I wash with shampoo for the SD, but then I rinse with high-pressure cold water in the sink to get rid of any remaining buildup. My scalp feels really clean afterwards and stays that way longer. I've done it a few times between washes as well.

Nefcerka
April 30th, 2023, 12:38 AM
I have started doing the cold water rinses on my length lately and I think it makes my hair silkier and smoother. I could not wash my scalp or body with cold water, living in cold climate I can´t stand that. I hold my length as far as possible away from me when rinsing.

Marymrgn
April 30th, 2023, 03:02 AM
I tried it for a while and can say it definitely did make a noticeable difference to my curly hair.

Fiorentina
April 30th, 2023, 01:40 PM
Yes, big difference in how my hair looks and feels.

FlowerMoonFairy
May 6th, 2023, 12:48 PM
I have definitely noticed that a last cold rinse definitely makes my hair feel more shiny, sleek, and soft. :)

giraff
May 18th, 2023, 12:05 PM
I do it in the summer when it's warm, but it's not very tempting when its -10 C (14 F) or colder outside.. Can't say that I see much of a difference on my hair, but it feels good?

clairenewcastle
May 18th, 2023, 02:16 PM
I swear by ending with a cold rinse. I've done so since I was 15 and yes, they work. Recently I've had to stop doing them and I can feel the difference in how my hair feels but I'm just not so mobile these days.

mochichichi
May 18th, 2023, 09:59 PM
I can definitely feel it when I don't do a cold water rinse. I never skip it anymore, haven't in years. I'm experimenting with bucket washing now and my hair seems to like washing in all cold even more--luckily with the bucket washes I can stay mostly clothed and nice and warm while washing my hair in cold water.

Priska
February 18th, 2024, 10:48 AM
Yes, i always do a final rinse with cold water. My hair is silky, shiny and more manageable afterwars.

I would just like to add that I don`t pour the cold water over my body, except during summer. I have a large can to fill in my homemade lemon juice based hair rinse. After rinsing my hair, I wash the can out and fill in cold water. I grab (gentle) my hair over my shoulder and dunk (also gentle) my hair several times in the can of cold water. In the end I can pour the water over my head (sideways), but I don`t need it. I gently squeeze the excess water out of my hair and wrap my hair in a towel while I'm still in the shower. What can I do about my freezing feet? :D You get the picture?
I just realized this today, that I can do this in my sink and with a bucket (if that's the right word) without getting all my body ice cold. Must start doing this! I bet I won't get knots and tangles from cold water... (Cold vinegar rinse was my last step today).

Priska
February 25th, 2024, 03:29 AM
Wow this works! I've been pouring a bucket of cold water mixed with acv to my hair as the last step already for a longer time, but now I rinsed my hair with ice cold water from hand shower a longer time and after that made also the acv rinse, and I could say I noticed a difference. Even after hennaing at the same time my hair was records breaking silky.

https://img.aijaa.com/m/00080/15222684.jpg (https://aijaa.com/wX6RQy)

Lesley8
March 24th, 2024, 05:00 PM
I do a cold rinse and notice a difference in shine and its easier to detangle

mallorykay13
March 25th, 2024, 02:22 PM
This was really helpful. I hadn't thought of using a dedicated bucket for a dunk.