PDA

View Full Version : Kimberlily's defrizz spray

Pages : [1] 2

kimberlily
March 9th, 2008, 09:08 AM
I got a PM requesting that I repost this on the new board, so here goes!

In a 4oz mister, mix the following:

2 tbsp aloe gel
1 tsp jojoba
1 tsp glycerin (you can leave it out if you don't have any)
essential oils of choice

Add distilled water until full, then shake. Spray can be used as a detangler, and it encourages wonderful waves especially when used for damp bunning. Tap water can be used, but distilled water is better since it will keep longer. I have hard water, so I never use tap water.

I don't just use it on my hair. Here are some other uses:

* If you omit the essential oils, it is a wonderful eye makeup remover. Just spritz on a cotton pad and swipe away your makeup.
* Keep it in the fridge in the summer for a refreshing moisturizing spritz after coming in from the sun.
* Spritz on your legs and use it for shaving if you're in a rush and have no time to shower.

Patrycja
March 9th, 2008, 11:12 AM
Where can you find glycerin?

kimberlily
March 9th, 2008, 12:43 PM
Some drugstores will carry it, or you can find it at health food stores :)

Iylivarae
March 9th, 2008, 12:47 PM
How long can you keep it? Mine smelled funny after some days, but I suppose you don't use the whole stuff in that short time... so do you use any special tricks?

Katja
March 9th, 2008, 03:00 PM
Kimberlily, I love this recipe! I add ylang ylang EO to mine.

I use it on my freshly washed and dried hair to smooth down the flyaways. I divided the mixture into 2 spray bottles, so that I can keep a bottle at work. (It helps to protect against the too dry heated or air-conditioned air in the office.)

I do have to be careful not to go overboard in using it, as my fine hair can get weighed down and piece-y looking.

Thank you for posting the recipe again.

kimberlily
March 9th, 2008, 08:42 PM
How long can you keep it? Mine smelled funny after some days, but I suppose you don't use the whole stuff in that short time... so do you use any special tricks?

I find that if I use aloe juice instead of the gel (I like Fruit of the Earth) it smells off after a few days. I keep it in the fridge if the weather is warm (and it makes a lovely moisturizing summer refresher if you spritz it on your skin after coming in out of the sun!)

ETA: I also use it to detangle my daughter's hair, and for damp bunning. I go through it pretty fast ;)

Gothic Lolita
March 10th, 2008, 08:49 AM
Does anybody know where I can buy aloe gel in Germany? I never saw it in a regular drugstrore...

kimberlily
March 10th, 2008, 07:46 PM
I sent a couple of bottles to an LHCer in Germany. It is hard to find there. Maybe post a separate thread and see if you get any leads, Gothic Lolita. I know that many recipes here include aloe gel. In a pinch, you can use fresh aloe, but it won't keep as long.

jessie58
March 10th, 2008, 07:55 PM
Kimberlily, I love your recipe, I started off with using a couple of other ingredients in it but eventually I make exactly like your recipe because that works the best. Many days I've gotten up in the morning and had straightish tangly hair. I comb it out then spritz it with your recipe and then squeeze the hair and scrunch it, then it turns out looking beautiful.

I agree totally with the aloe gel and the distilled water, they are the best to use. I use patchouli as my EO drops.

physicschick
March 11th, 2008, 09:44 AM
This is absolutely the most useful recipe on LHC! I use this stuff every day as a detangling spray. Thanks for reposting, kimberlily.

However, is it possibly 1 tsp jojoba rather than 1 tbsp? 1 tbsp seems rather high, but I have the recipe backed up on my other computer and won't be able to access it until the weekend.

I always use commercial aloe gel that's full of preservatives. My spray lasts a couple months without smelling or looking any different. As always, if you are worried about bacterial growth (and then aerosolizing said bacterial growth and breathing it in), feel free to ignore me. I haven't gotten sick off it or had any problems, though.

kimberlily
March 11th, 2008, 10:36 AM
However, is it possibly 1 tsp jojoba rather than 1 tbsp? 1 tbsp seems rather high, but I have the recipe backed up on my other computer and won't be able to access it until the weekend.

You might be right. I didn't back up the recipe and I always have to look it up when I make it, so with the old LHC down I can't remember the exact ratio :( If you could look it up on the weekend and post here, I'd appreciate it :)

MeMyselfandI
March 13th, 2008, 03:53 PM
I find that if I use aloe juice instead of the gel (I like Fruit of the Earth) it smells off after a few days. I keep it in the fridge if the weather is warm (and it makes a lovely moisturizing summer refresher if you spritz it on your skin after coming in out of the sun!)

ETA: I also use it to detangle my daughter's hair, and for damp bunning. I go through it pretty fast ;)

I use Fruit of the Earth 100% Gel Aloe Vera. Even though the bottle says "Pure. No Color Added." This gel has both stabilizers and preservatives in it.

Know, I need to find jojoba oil, to make this defrizz spray.

MeMyselfandI
March 13th, 2008, 04:01 PM
Opps Now. Sorry

Leisha
March 13th, 2008, 04:34 PM
I gotta chime in and say how good this spray is :D. I haven't used it in a while but it really works wonders on my hair when it's dry, dull, frizzy.

I use just water, aloe vera and coconut oil (instead of jojoba, cause my hair seems to like coconut better than jojoba).

I use Fruit of the Earth 100% Gel Aloe Vera. Even though the bottle says "Pure. No Color Added." This gel has both stabilizers and preservatives in it.

Know, I need to find jojoba oil, to make this defrizz spray.
My aloe gel (from a "natural" brand) also has preservatives and stuff, I think. But it works just fine :thumbsup:

xrosiex
March 13th, 2008, 05:07 PM
I love this recipe! Thanks for posting it again Kimberly. I use it all the time it's the best. :)

Ms Kitty
March 13th, 2008, 09:56 PM
Can I use this on my afro?

jessie58
March 13th, 2008, 10:37 PM
Can I use this on my afro?

Hi Ms Kitty, I think that this would work for any hair type that just likes moisture and needs taming. If you can get away with spraying just water on and it responds nicely, then you'll likely get a good result with this too. The aloe can be drying to some people or the oil may not agree with your hairtype, but experimenting should help you figure that out.

physicschick
March 13th, 2008, 11:54 PM
Hi Ms Kitty, I think that this would work for any hair type that just likes moisture and needs taming. If you can get away with spraying just water on and it responds nicely, then you'll likely get a good result with this too. The aloe can be drying to some people or the oil may not agree with your hairtype, but experimenting should help you figure that out.

Also, if your hair likes oils, it will like this. I couldn't mist with plain water because it gives me frizz, but the aloe and oil cause this to have the opposite effect for me. It makes my hair actually comb-able. :)

jessie58
March 14th, 2008, 01:26 AM
Yes I think this is why it works for me, the combinations are just right for smoothing my hair and bringing up the curl.

MeMyselfandI
March 14th, 2008, 05:20 PM
I used 1 teaspoon jojoba oil.

The aloe vera gel was just over 1 tablespoon and 2 tsp glycerin. I added distilled water to make 4 oz total liquid.

I could not get the yellow jojoba oil dispersed into the solution.

How do I get the oil to mix into the water solution?

MeMyselfandI
March 14th, 2008, 05:21 PM
How does coconut oil mix with the water solution?

Does the mixture need to stay warm to keep it as a liquid?

kimberlily
March 14th, 2008, 06:13 PM
You can use fractionated coconut oil.

I keep my mister in the fridge - so long as you don't use a solid oil like regular coconut oil, everything will stay liquid.

physicschick
March 14th, 2008, 09:22 PM
I checked the backup of my version of the recipe. IIt's 1 oz aloe and 1 tsp jojoba to make 4 oz of the spray. This should be the same proportions as in kimberlily's original, I think. I didn't record anything about the EOs or glycerine since I left them out. Sorry for the incomplete info.

kimberlily
March 14th, 2008, 09:23 PM
Thanks physicschick :) I'll go edit the recipe. That's what happens when you go by memory ;)

Tissaia
March 15th, 2008, 12:46 PM
Gothik Lolita:
You can buy aloe vera gel in Reformhaus or in any other shop with natural food and cosmetics. I hope this help you.

wheels on fire
March 15th, 2008, 03:42 PM
Hi guys!
I have compiled a "repetoire" of my favorite recipes (copy and paste back in Aug, so I know for sure its the real thing), and of course I have Kimberlily's defrizz spray - one of my favorites - I use sandalwood EO, luuuv it!!!
There you go:

Leave in spray to defrizz

This makes 4oz (125ml) of spray...

2 tbsp aloe gel or juice
1 tsp jojoba oil
10 drops essential oil
spring water

Put aloe & jojoba into a measuring cup. Fill the rest of the way to the 4oz mark with spring water (you can also use tap water, but my water is hard so I use bottled stuff). Add essential oils of your choice. Pour into a spray bottle and use as often as you like. I use it as a detangler when I comb my hair after showering, and to freshen up my hair between washes It leaves my hair soft, shiny, and takes away a lot of frizz without leaving my hair greasy or feeling dirty.

ETA: I have recently started making this spritz with aloe gel instead of the aloe juice. It seems to mix better

Second edit: I have added 1 tsp of vegetable glycerin to the mix

wheels on fire
March 15th, 2008, 03:44 PM
I have one question, though... The glycerin used is the vegetable? This is very hard to find here in Brazil... Almost impossible...

Schanulleke
March 15th, 2008, 03:48 PM
You might try how it works out for you without the glycerin. Maybe your hair likes it without. My hair isn't always fond of glycerin.
Thanks for posting the archived recipe. :)

wheels on fire
March 15th, 2008, 04:02 PM
You're welcome!
Actually I don't use it, since whats avaliable here is mineral one, I think my hair wouldnt like it as well...
It already works fine!!!

kimberlily
March 15th, 2008, 05:40 PM
The glycerin isn't really necessary. I just find that it works just a bit better on my hair if I add it :) Lots of people leave it out.

Patrycja
March 17th, 2008, 12:05 PM
Kimberlily, I did finally find the Glycerin at my local grocery store but it says on the bottle Glycerin M.S.R is that the same thing?

kimberlily
March 17th, 2008, 12:35 PM
ilovemycop, I buy glycerin at the health food store. Does your glycerin state what it is made from? It should be vegetable glycerin.

Tapioca
March 17th, 2008, 03:14 PM
For those of you who use coconut instead of jojoba ...

Coconut oil is sometimes solid, sometimes liquid in my bathroom, depending on the season. If I use it in this spray, will it kill my mister or not mix well if it gets cold?

kimberlily
March 17th, 2008, 03:16 PM
Tapioca, it won't kill your mister. It will just float on top of the liquid and not go into the nozzle at all. It sort of defeats the purpose of putting it in ;)

Patrycja
March 17th, 2008, 04:02 PM
no ingrediants at all on the bottle.I inspected it for about 5 minutes and didn't see anything but warnings on consumption.

I'm going to do a :google: search and see what I come up with.Thanks!

Velvettt
March 23rd, 2008, 09:44 AM
Actually, yes, if you use solid coconut oil that you've melted and it resolidifies due to cold temps, it will wreck your mister. Go ahead, ask me how I know.:( It went up the tube of the sprayer and turned to concrete and I broke the pump trying to make it work. Yes, I am frequently an idiot.

Kimberlily, I wish I had seen this earlier. When I find a recipe I like, I print it out and put it in a binder for hair recipes. I had the original of this from the old boards. If there are any others you might be missing, pm me and see if I printed it out.:)

Alley Cat
March 24th, 2008, 10:06 PM
Thank you for putting this back up Kimberlily , I made a batch up this morning and couldn't remember how much of everything went in . :thumbsup:

Miss Murphy
March 25th, 2008, 03:42 AM
I just love love love the hair mist! But does anybody have any experience how long it keeps? I made mine up in January, and I just can't tell if it's still good :(

FrannyG
March 25th, 2008, 04:37 AM
Kimberlily, I want you to know how much I love this recipe. I've been using it ever since you originally posted it and I couldn't be without it.

When LHC was down, I had to go and Google the archives to get the recipe. I couldn't be a day without it!

Thanks for reposting it! :flowers:

kimberlily
March 25th, 2008, 10:06 AM
I'm glad I reposted it too - between this spray and my hair butter, I'm famous on LHC :lol:

Miss Murphy, I usually go through it faster than that, but for a while I had two misters and it lasted for several months. So long as you use distilled water and sterilize your bottle, it should last you a good long while :)

Alley Cat
March 25th, 2008, 10:19 PM
I'm glad I reposted it too - between this spray and my hair butter, I'm famous on LHC :lol:

Yeah for being famous. :cheese:

cupcakeblonde
April 5th, 2008, 05:42 AM
whats the purpose of the jojoba in the recipe?

kimberlily
April 5th, 2008, 08:38 AM
Jojoba is wonderful for your hair. It moisturizes and helps to reduce frizz and flyaways. The aloe also moisturizes, and adds a little tiny bit of hold, helping to define waves (or create them if you spritz your hair before bunning).

filiadeluna
April 5th, 2008, 09:00 AM
Where can I find aloe gel in the United States? I have some of the green stuff for sunburns, but I know I need the white kind & I've never seen it (though admittedly not looked hard enough for it).

kimberlily
April 5th, 2008, 01:08 PM
I get mine at Rite Aid. Most people use Fruit of the Earth. I know WalMart carries it, and so do most drug stores.

Hairstorm
April 5th, 2008, 08:04 PM
Trader Joe's also has aloe gel. :)

Velvettt
April 6th, 2008, 01:09 AM
I get mine at our local grocery chain, HEB, which is found in Texas. Fruit of the Earth aloe gel is very easy to find just about anywhere.

wheels on fire
April 11th, 2008, 03:04 PM
Does anyone of you guys know or even use Forever Living Aloe Gelly and is it ok to use it in this recipe?! Or any other recipe :rolleyes: ...

Sissilonghair
April 12th, 2008, 03:44 AM

Miss Murphy, I usually go through it faster than that, but for a while I had two misters and it lasted for several months. So long as you use distilled water and sterilize your bottle, it should last you a good long while :)
I would like to know how you make the hair butter or where can I go and look for it:)

kimberlily
April 12th, 2008, 08:47 AM
I would like to know how you make the hair butter or where can I go and look for it:)

I personally use my coconut (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=279) version, but there's a cocoa/shea (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=282) butter version too.

wheels on fire
April 13th, 2008, 08:11 AM
Does anyone know or use Forever Living's Aloe Gelly - it's US made... :(

kimberlily
April 13th, 2008, 09:25 AM
I've never heard of it, but here's a comparison of the ingredients versus Fruit of the Earth which is what I use. I bolded the ingredients that are the same:

FOTE:
Aloe Vera Gel, Triethanolamine, Tocopheryl Acetate, Carbomer 940, Tetrasodium EDTA, DMDM Hydantoin, Diazolidinyl Urea

Forever Living:
Aloe Barbadensis Gel (Stabilized Aloe Vera Gel), Water, Glycerin, Triethanolamine, Carborner, Tocopherol (Vitamin # Natural) Allantoin, Ascorbic Acid, Diazolidinyl Urea, Disodium EDTA, Methylparben

I don't recognize the other ingredients. Typically, you want aloe that doesn't have any pain reliever or numbing agents in it.

wheels on fire
April 13th, 2008, 03:31 PM
Thanks Kimberlily!!!
I guess that allantoin is a kind of pain reliver, or better, a soothing agente that wouldn't be suitable for hair... From what a can remember, I've only seen it in skin products...
Well, probably this gel isn't the best option after all...
Thanks again!!!

Velvettt
April 17th, 2008, 03:07 AM
Allantoin is a skin soothing agent which is usually found in men's products.

whisper
May 3rd, 2008, 08:51 AM
Has anyone tried adding Vitamin E oil to this recipe? :confused: I noticed that my shea butter includes Vitamin E and thought that maybe it could be used in the defrizzer too.

I love adding coconut oil and glycerin. But when it gets colder and solidifies I can't use the coconut oil in the recipe. And when it gets less humid, I can't use the glycerin. :(

Do you think the Vitamin E oil can be my substitute?

~Lady Stardust~
May 3rd, 2008, 09:51 AM
Thank you so much for this recipe. I have fine hair and it seems to always poof up and frizz. I'll give this a try and see if it works! :cheese:

Kimberlily, I love this recipe! I add ylang ylang EO to mine.

I use it on my freshly washed and dried hair to smooth down the flyaways. I divided the mixture into 2 spray bottles, so that I can keep a bottle at work. (It helps to protect against the too dry heated or air-conditioned air in the office.)

I do have to be careful not to go overboard in using it, as my fine hair can get weighed down and piece-y looking.

Thank you for posting the recipe again.

My hair is exactly the same way....I'm just a tad bit worried it'll make my hair too limp, but if it works for you I'm hoping it will work for me!:)

Zenity
May 8th, 2008, 06:27 PM
First of all let me Thank you all for your wonderful posts.
Kimberly, I have been using this recipe since I found it last year and I loooove it!
It is not only working as a defrizz mister but I have noticed that my hair kept getting better and better from regular use. I guess is an excellent hydrating treatment.

My 2 cents to add to the original recipe:
If i substitute the spring water for jasmin water or rose water or any other organic floral essence water works great and you do not have to add any essential oil.

Thanks again!:cheer:

Queenie
May 14th, 2008, 12:58 AM
Just whipped up a bottle of this, it looks very promising!

E.
May 14th, 2008, 03:26 AM
For those in Germany,

www.baccararose.de

carries both aloe vera gel and glycerine :)

rapunzoe
July 20th, 2008, 03:56 PM
hi! I think this recipe is great, it is just what I've been looking for!!
Where do you buy the jojoba oil and plastic spray bottles though; is it very expensive?

kimberlily
July 20th, 2008, 10:14 PM
rapunzoe, I buy jojoba at the natural foods store. Most drugstores have plastic spray bottles, or you can get them at Sally Beauty supply. I don't think I've ever paid more than $2 for the spray bottle, and the jojoba is around $5 for 4oz I think.

rapunzoe
July 22nd, 2008, 08:53 PM
thanks!!!

So would health stores carry jojoba oil?

kimberlily
July 22nd, 2008, 09:13 PM
Yes, you should be able to find it at any health food store. I know Long's Drugs carries it.

paper
August 8th, 2008, 07:50 AM
I got a PM requesting that I repost this on the new board, so here goes!

In a 4oz mister, mix the following:

2 tbsp aloe gel
1 tsp jojoba
1 tsp glycerin (you can leave it out if you don't have any)
essential oils of choice

Add distilled water until full, then shake. Spray can be used as a detangler, and it encourages wonderful waves especially when used for damp bunning. Tap water can be used, but distilled water is better since it will keep longer. I have hard water, so I never use tap water.

I don't just use it on my hair. Here are some other uses:

* If you omit the essential oils, it is a wonderful eye makeup remover. Just spritz on a cotton pad and swipe away your makeup.
* Keep it in the fridge in the summer for a refreshing moisturizing spritz after coming in from the sun.
* Spritz on your legs and use it for shaving if you're in a rush and have no time to shower.

How much of the essential oils do you use? Thanks

kimberlily
August 8th, 2008, 07:58 AM
paper, I just use enough to give it some fragrance. They serve no purpose other than scent :) It depends on what oils I use.

paper
August 8th, 2008, 08:19 AM
ahh, ok thanks

rapunzoe
August 12th, 2008, 01:42 PM
On my aloe vera bottle, it said to avoid contact with eyes. Can I still use the spray on my eyes?
The ingredients are basically what is in other aloe vera gels:
Aloe vera gel 98%, water, glycerin, triethanolamine, carbomer 940, diazoidinyl urea, DMDM hydantoin, tetrasodium edta, vitamin e

Tapioca
August 13th, 2008, 09:58 AM
I use a version of this (with less water, but basically the same) on my hair and face, and I've never had any problems swiping it over closed eyelids. However, if you do scent it, the EOs may irritate, depending on what you use.

rapunzoe
August 13th, 2008, 11:36 AM
Thanks, but I was wondering if there are any ingredients in my aloe vera gel that might irriate the eyes, since the bottle says specifically to keep away from eyes. Strangely, I have another bottle of aloe vera. It's not clear(its green), has added fragrance and chemicals, yet never had a warning to keep away from eyes. I'm confused.
I really hate the eye makeup remover they sell in stores... so this would be a really good thing to use.

angelthadiva
August 13th, 2008, 11:55 AM
Thanks, but I was wondering if there are any ingredients in my aloe vera gel that might irriate the eyes, since the bottle says specifically to keep away from eyes. Strangely, I have another bottle of aloe vera. It's not clear(its green), has added fragrance and chemicals, yet never had a warning to keep away from eyes. I'm confused.
I really hate the eye makeup remover they sell in stores... so this would be a really good thing to use.

Wow, that's weird! :suspect: I'd error on the side of caution, if it says don't use it by the eyes--I wouldn't...However, I'm a contact wearer and am prone to eye infections, and basically can't stand anything going on with my eyes that would cause swelling or irritation or that would annoy me--If you are a dare-devil, try it...Maybe on just one though ;)

kimberlily
August 13th, 2008, 12:35 PM
I have very sensitive eyes. Even storebought "safe for the eyes" eye makeup remover irritates them. This mixture doesn't though.

rapunzoe
August 14th, 2008, 02:58 PM
Thanks.
I did a little research, and it seems like
triethanolamine, diazolinyl urea, DMDM hydantoin, and tetrasodium edta are the eye irritants, especially triethanolamine, which is supposed to be a severe eye irritant.
I am not going to risk it, but I might use it on my face. I wish I had an aloe plant.

whisper
November 22nd, 2008, 06:48 AM
For those trying glycerin in this recipe, if you find that your hair is a little sticky you may be using too much glycerin. SunCat had a great rule of thumb to use one drop of glycerin for each ounce of mixture.

Also, this time of year the air is not as humid as during the summer. I do not use the glycerin if there is low humidity because the glycerin tends to pull moisture FROM your hair instead of from the air. Instead I experiment with adding a little more oil to the mixture.

I am curious. Has anyone tried adding Vitamin E oil to this mixture?

RedFrizz
November 22nd, 2008, 12:21 PM
I just mixed my own variation of this, because I don't have glycerin (and I wanted to do this now):

1 tbs Jojoba oil
1 tbs Leave-In Conditioner (I bought this from Hawaii, it's totally organic and it includes purified water, Palm Oil Derived, Kukui Nut Oil, Aloe Vera Exctract, Shea Butter, Vegetable Cellulose & Essential Oils. My only regret is that I bought only one tiny bottle...)
Rest of the 6,7 oz bottle I filled with water.

Eventhough this mix doesn't have anything else in common with the original defrizz spray than jojoba oil and water, it still works: it gives shine and also defrizzes my hair. Someday I need to try the original and compare :)

Thank you very much for the idea Kimberlily :flowers:

morguebabe
November 23rd, 2008, 03:45 PM
Im sorry if this has been covered but any suggestions for EO's?

kimberlily
November 24th, 2008, 09:26 AM
morguebabe, usually my EO's are only for fragrance, since not many EO's actually affect the hair. Just use whatever fragrances you like. I know some people use Goth Rosary fragrance oils in their mix. I am lazy and usually skip the EO's now. Besides that, I like the scent of my conditioner ;) I used to use vanilla though.

DecafJane
December 7th, 2008, 04:59 PM
Ooh, this is exciting - I just bought the ingredients for this and it totaled at only a little more than the regular leave-in moisturiser that I had been using, and they will last me a lot longer! :D

venividibxtchy
December 12th, 2008, 05:09 AM
I'd LOVE to try this...but I'm allergic to aloe vera gel.

Can anyone think of an alternative gel to use? I don't want to mist on purely water/oil/EO...

Silver & Gold
December 12th, 2008, 06:53 AM
I'd LOVE to try this...but I'm allergic to aloe vera gel.

Can anyone think of an alternative gel to use? I don't want to mist on purely water/oil/EO...

I was wondering about this myself because I have a girlfriend who is allergic to aloe and I was hoping to come up with a variation for her. One could just omit the aloe gel but the aloe also serves to suspend the oil a bit (although I try to remember to shake it before I spray it anyway).

One thing that has occurred to me that I haven't yet tried is to make a gel from fenugreek seeds. Fenugreek is also good for the hair. As I've said, I haven't tried it yet and fenugreek has a scent (unlike aloe). To me the scent smells like maple syrup. If I were to use fenugreek I would also have to experiment with a good EO pairing because I would want to alter the scent a bit. Although maple syrup is not an unpleasant smell, I wouldn't want my hair to smell strongly of it.

Anyway, this is what has occurred to me so far, as I've said I haven't tried it but one can make the spray without the aloe. I believe there are others who already do this. I don't think they replace it with anything, they just leave it out.

nyia
December 16th, 2008, 11:01 AM
I've heard of Aloe Vera allergies, especially in people who have allergies to garlic or onions - they're all the same family.

I wonder if Arnica gel would make a good replacement for this? It has some of the same properties as Aloe, like helping the healing process, but it's especially good for deep wound healing, like black and blue bruises.

It's available in most of the health food places, and it's usually an orange colored gel, in a squeezy bottle. A bit expensive, though - a 6 ounce bottle is about $7-8.

Anyone have any thoughts about this?

Melisande
December 16th, 2008, 11:07 AM
Hm, what about honey as replacement for AVG...? Any ideas?

kimberlily
December 16th, 2008, 11:09 AM
I'd imagine honey would make your hair sticky. I don't know what would be a suitable replacement for the aloe.

Silver & Gold
December 16th, 2008, 11:39 AM
Hm, what about honey as replacement for AVG...? Any ideas?

I'd imagine honey would make your hair sticky. I don't know what would be a suitable replacement for the aloe.

Honey and glycerin have some of the same properties so while honey might substitute for the small amount of glycerin in a pinch it couldn't substitute for the aloe.

I've been wondering if making a gel from flaxseed/linseed would make a suitable substitute for the aloe? It's a bit more viscous than the aloe gel but I don't think that would be a big issue when you consider the amount of water used to dilute it.

nyia
December 16th, 2008, 09:56 PM
Again, I think it's important to remember that allergies tend to clump up a bit.

For instance, if you are allergic to Aloe, you probably have some problems with garlic and/or onions, among others of the lily family.

With that in mind, if you're allergic to wool, watch out for products containing lanolin. If you can't wear linen, then you probably have an allergy to flax/linseed. The flax allergy can also show up in some other complex grains, so if you have problems with different kinds of grains, legumes, nuts, or wheat flours, then try a very small spot test, before you eat it or apply it to your skin. The flax allergy, like the wool/lanolin allergy, is fairly wide-spread.

Also, if you have hay fever with respect to things like goldenrod (the most common variety), there's probably a chance you are sensitive to milk (this one surprised me!). The reason? Has to do with how early in your life you were switched from formula or breast milk to cow's milk. Babies who have cow's milk much before 1 year old, are more likely to have hay fever than those who were switched later.

All of these have other interactions with various preparations for hair or skin. Even though cosmetics are some of the most highly engineered products on the planet, but they can have some interactions with each other, and with the foods or preparations you use for medicinal reasons.

Woops, sorry for the lecture!

Lutya
January 11th, 2009, 08:16 AM
Does anyone know if this works for static? I know frizz and static are different so I wondered if anyone had tried it for static. I'm desperate! I've tried cones and they aren't working. My hair is not colored or processed, it's oily in general and I don't even need conditioner in the summer. I don't want to keep buying different conditioners that don't tame the static!

Silver & Gold
January 11th, 2009, 08:38 AM
Does anyone know if this works for static? I know frizz and static are different so I wondered if anyone had tried it for static. I'm desperate! I've tried cones and they aren't working. My hair is not colored or processed, it's oily in general and I don't even need conditioner in the summer. I don't want to keep buying different conditioners that don't tame the static!

I use it for static. I find that the amounts listed are a good guideline but each person should tweak the proportions for their hairtype and for the season. But it definitely helps tame static.

Lutya
January 11th, 2009, 09:21 AM
Thank you!

Jiffa Jaffa
January 15th, 2009, 09:58 AM
I am hoping to try this mixture as a sort of leave in conditioner, is it best to spray it onto wet hair after washing? or on dry?

kimberlily
January 15th, 2009, 11:53 AM
I use it both ways :)

Jiffa Jaffa
January 15th, 2009, 01:45 PM
Thank you :) Will make some up tonight! For my oil I'm going to use The Body Shop Monoi Oil as my oil. I was so pleased to find this recipe, I stumbled across it by accident as I wanted to start a thread asking if I could add oil to water in a mister for a leave in conditioner as i wasn't sure if it would work, and then I found this recipe! So thanks for posting it :)

Bene
February 20th, 2009, 02:11 AM
i've just made my 3rd batch of this stuff. this is a total lifesaver and is now a permanent part of my hair arsenal. thanks!!!

halfbakedtulip
February 21st, 2009, 09:55 PM
ooooo I so want to try this...I am the quess of frizz! First though I have to make the cold cream posted on another thread and the poo bars ...This growing long hair naturally is a full time job:p

rapunzoe
March 26th, 2009, 03:41 PM
I tried this defrizz spray and it's really amazing! Thanks for posting it.
Right now, I've run out of jojoba oil, and I was wondering if I could use castor oil or something in its place. I went to the health food store, and they didn't have any jojoba oil. :/

whisper
March 26th, 2009, 04:49 PM
I love kimberlily's defrizzer!

I've had good luck using vitamin E oil in the defrizzer and it works great as a replacement for glycerin in the winter.

kimberlily
March 26th, 2009, 04:52 PM
I tried this defrizz spray and it's really amazing! Thanks for posting it.
Right now, I've run out of jojoba oil, and I was wondering if I could use castor oil or something in its place. I went to the health food store, and they didn't have any jojoba oil. :/

Castor oil is too sticky. Other suitable oils are fractionated coconut oil, almond oil, broccoli seed oil, apricot kernel oil, and safflower oil. Basically any light oil will do in a pinch :) I wouldn't recommend oils like extra virgin olive and similar richer oils, because they won't distribute in the water very well.

gmdiaz
March 26th, 2009, 04:57 PM
Let's see. . .I've got all the ingredients except the spray bottle and the essential oils!

I'll be whipping up a batch shortly!

Thanks so much for the recipe!!!!!

IndigoInk
March 26th, 2009, 08:35 PM
I have the bottle, glycerin, FOTE Aloe Gel so I just need the jojoba oil and something to fragrance it with...because I'm like that and I like to be smelly good!

Has anyone used BPAL oils to scent this? I have a bunch and I love them. :)

kimberlily
March 26th, 2009, 09:26 PM
I have :) I used Jailbait and my hair smelled like candy :D

IndigoInk
March 26th, 2009, 11:01 PM
I have :) I used Jailbait and my hair smelled like candy :D

LOL yummy! Well I better go pick up some jojoba tomorrow, I want to try this out. :)

rapunzoe
March 28th, 2009, 07:32 AM
Thanks, I found some almond oil. :)

Sherri
March 28th, 2009, 07:48 AM
Castor oil is too sticky. Other suitable oils are fractionated coconut oil, almond oil, broccoli seed oil, apricot kernel oil, and safflower oil. Basically any light oil will do in a pinch :) I wouldn't recommend oils like extra virgin olive and similar richer oils, because they won't distribute in the water very well.
It just hit me:doh: I can use my sweet almond oil in my difrizz spray. I have run out of the jojoba oil too. I was going to throw it out because I was using it by itself and my hair didn't like it. Maybe mixed with the other stuff it would be ok.

helen2806
March 28th, 2009, 07:49 AM
I made this for the first time the other day and I love it! I left out the glycerine because I didn't have any, and used sweet almond oil instead of jojoba but it's great.

The only problem I have is that the spray bottle I got is pretty useless so I have to just spray some on my hands and gently smooth it over, but I've got an almost-empty leave in conditioner bottle that I'll use next time.

Thanks Kimberlily! :)

Lile
March 28th, 2009, 08:42 AM
such a great recipe....I've been using glycerin in catnip tea so far,and it works wonders...maybe I give this one a go too...thanks for posting!

Leneveu
April 18th, 2009, 09:42 AM
Thanks so much - my hair loves this!

I used orange-blossom water which I had lying about, and it smells gorgeous. Also I used aloe juice (from Alnatura) as I couldn't find the gel in the shops here in Germany - so I'll keep the mix in the fridge.

Is it supposed to be that the jojoba oils stays floating on top (except when the mixture is shaken)?

kimberlily
April 18th, 2009, 09:47 AM
Yes, Leneveu, the jojoba will float to the top. Totally normal. If you use a higher ratio of aloe gel (instead of juice), it stays suspended better, but shaking it solves the problem if it floats to the top.

wackyredtangles
June 11th, 2009, 01:03 PM
Someone was asking about this so

*BUMP*

tarn
June 12th, 2009, 04:24 AM
I think I have everything except the glycerine for this. Wow, a hair spritzer that doubles as a make-up remover too!!! I'm sold!!!

swirlytresses
June 12th, 2009, 09:06 AM
I'm anxious to try this recipe out. I might add a little honey or agave nectar so that I get a little bit of hold. :)

wahmof9
June 12th, 2009, 11:22 AM
I joined 3 months ago and I am still having a blast trying all the recipes here....got to try this one!

wahmof9
July 24th, 2009, 09:19 PM
How long can you keep your spray before it goes bad?

Leneveu
July 24th, 2009, 11:17 PM
When I used fresh aloe, I noticed a but of "fuzziness" after two days. Now that I'm using aloe preserved with citric acid, sodium benzoate and potassium sorbate, the mix lasts much longer, but I'm not sure exactly how long it's "good" for.

I'm interested to hear what other have to say :)

blondekate
July 26th, 2009, 02:29 PM
I am going to try this!
Thanks!
:)

kimberlily
July 27th, 2009, 09:56 AM
Leneveu, that's why I stopped using fresh aloe. I have noticed that it will keep for about 2 weeks or more if I use the aloe gel. I used to refrigerate it, but then I don't use it since it isn't convenient. Since I usually only use a 4oz mister, I go through it before it goes bad.

Leneveu
July 27th, 2009, 11:01 AM
Thanks, kimberlily, I'll definitely keep using the preserved aloe. I tried refrigerating the mix once when I was using fresh aloe, but I found that the jojoba oil hardened, which was not so convenient!

talervo
July 28th, 2009, 12:20 PM
I just made a batch using my aloe plant last night. Hopefully it will work ok. I have it in the fridge and put less jojoba oil in it. I have fine hair, so less oil is usually better for me anyways.

The night I made it I tried it and it works great. I've been doing the water only (with occasional vinegar rinses) for about 4 months. I finally shampooed with a dilute solution, but my hair got frizzy. I sprayed this on it and yeah! My hair was shiny again and less frizzy. I'll try it again tonight and see if it is still good.

May have to leave it out to warm up the oil, though... I'll have to see if adding the preservative to the aloe works for me, too.

talervo
July 28th, 2009, 07:07 PM
Leneveu, do you add your own preservatives to the aloe? If so, how much do you use?
I have citric acid and ascorbic acid that I was thinking of trying to add.

Leneveu
July 29th, 2009, 12:29 AM
Talervo: no, I bought aloe for cosmetic use, which already contained preservatives. That's an interesting idea, though - adding a preservative yourself. It would be useful for me, as I can buy fresh aloe (for drinking) in the shops here, but the aloe for cosmetic use I have to buy online.

So, does anybody know how to go about preserving aloe? :)

talervo
July 29th, 2009, 03:13 PM
For anyone who was thinking of using their aloe plant, it's easy. There are a few things to keep in mind before harvesting it, though. When you cut off the leaf, place it in a glass container for a while so that the sap will drain out. The sap has latex in it, so can cause reactions.
Once you see the brownish liquid (which stains) has stopped coming out (about 30 minutes?) you cut the leaf long ways so that you can scrape out the clear inner part.
For the spray you will want to eventually strain out the chunks because you don't want those in your hair. I put a piece in my hair once and it turned to stone. Had to pull out some hair to get it out.
What you do want is the slimy stuff, a mix between a gel and liquid. It's been working great in my spray so far.
I did add a touch of citric acid and ascorbic acid (vitamin c) to the 4 oz bottle. It hasn't caused the mixture to dry out my hair, but I don't know if it is preserving it. No bad smells yet and I've left it out of the fridge.

pixiedoo
August 1st, 2009, 06:46 AM
After giving up cones I needed something to de-frizz my chemically damaged ends and to stop me looking as though I'd stuck my fingers in the plug socket :(

I have now nearly finished my first bottle of this magical conncoction and it is great. I have made it up according to the recipe minus the glycerin but am planning to buy some and add it to the next batch.

I use it all the time and it makes my hair look sleek and shiny and really enhances my waves. I added lavender and geranium EO to my mix so my hair smells lovely.

I can't believe I used to spend a fortune on nasty, coney serums and leave-ins. This is far better, so much cheaper and I love the fact that I am no longer spraying loads of chemicals on my hair everyday :)

Thanks Kimberlily :)

talervo
August 6th, 2009, 01:44 PM
My spray with the fresh aloe went bad or just went stinky. Probably didn't use enough preservative?
Either way I will have to make a smaller amount if I use my fresh aloe.

SimplyViki
August 7th, 2009, 10:26 PM
Erm... is this supposed to be super thick, viscous stuff? I mixed mine up according to the recipe, but it's still gel-like in consistency. I thought it would be more a liquid. No?

Leneveu
August 8th, 2009, 08:12 AM
Mine's liquid, SimplyViki. Is there an additive in your aloe gel that could have thickened the mixture?

SimplyViki
August 8th, 2009, 03:36 PM
Mine's liquid, SimplyViki. Is there an additive in your aloe gel that could have thickened the mixture?

There must be.... also the aloe is pretty old, I'm at the bottom of the container now... I wonder if it settled or something? I wound up just diluting it further and adding a couple drops of jojoba oil. I had to dilute it a lot to get it to spray. It was very gelatinous! It's still viscous enough that bubbles remain suspended, but at least it sprays now.

Fencai
August 8th, 2009, 04:15 PM
took my bottle with me camping this past week! It was GREAT!
We were gone for 5 days and I used it each day to dampen and then redo my double english braids.
It held wonderfully and helped all around!
Great stuff!!
I didnt have any jojoba, so I used grapeseed oil.
As well, I didnt have glycerin, so I used vitamin e caps that I squeezed out.
LOVE IT!

Renbirde
August 14th, 2009, 12:04 AM
:? I'd really like to make up some of this, but the only oils I have are EVOO and coconut. It sounds like coconut doesn't work so well, and EVOO might be too heavy... Uurk.

Would avocado oil be alright if I can't find jojoba?

kimberlily
August 19th, 2009, 01:03 PM
Renbirde, any lightweight oil should work. I've used apricot kernel oil, sesame, jojoba and sweet almond oils successfully. Olive oil wasn't a big success though.

ellette
August 23rd, 2009, 11:56 AM
I just wanted to say thank you for this recipe. I made some this morning and it is the most lovely thing I have ever sprayed in my hair! :)
I am going to be using this stuff forever, thanks. :)

LutraLutra
August 24th, 2009, 02:23 AM
I made my first batch of this at the weekend - without glycerin - and it's lovely. Instant soft waves.

talervo
September 23rd, 2009, 03:13 PM
Yeah! I used fresh aloe without it going bad. I used both citric acid and ascorbic acid. I used the amount on the end of a butter knife for the citric acid (1/8 tsp?) and about half that amount for the ascorbic acid. The whole mixture has been sitting at room temperature for over a month and no funky aloe smell. I didn't use 2 tbs of aloe, probably about 1 tbs. This next batch I am increasing to 2 tbs and see if it still works.

Sia
September 24th, 2009, 02:59 PM
Oh I'm going to have to try this! Thank you for sharing. :) I've got all of the ingredients and will whip up a batch tonight.
This may not be the right place for this question, but the spray calls for glycerin and I'm not sure whether there's a big difference between vegetable glycerin and the 'non-vegetable' kind you get at a drugstore and if so, which one is better for the hair. Does anyone know?

Tresses
October 9th, 2009, 06:33 PM
Has anybody tried this with camellia oil? How does it compare with the spray mixed with jojoba? I have both...just trying to decide which one to use. :ponder:

bgarrison
October 9th, 2009, 06:54 PM
Oh I'm going to have to try this! Thank you for sharing. :) I've got all of the ingredients and will whip up a batch tonight.
This may not be the right place for this question, but the spray calls for glycerin and I'm not sure whether there's a big difference between vegetable glycerin and the 'non-vegetable' kind you get at a drugstore and if so, which one is better for the hair. Does anyone know?

No, but I've been curious as well.:confused:

kimberlily
October 9th, 2009, 07:07 PM
Any light oil that makes your hair happy should work fine :)

Tresses
October 9th, 2009, 07:12 PM
Any light oil that makes your hair happy should work fine :)

Camellia does indeed make my hair happy. :lol: Funny...I use a blend of aloe and camellia as my daily facial moisturizer, too. :inlove:

frodolaughs
October 9th, 2009, 07:18 PM
Kimberlily, I just wanted to say that I love your defrizz spray. I found the recipe a couple weeks ago, and it's the best thing. It's also an enabler. After success with this recipe I'm feeling irresistible urges to experiment with home-made hair treatments.

Hiriel
November 5th, 2009, 03:40 PM
This is nothing but a shameless bump, because I'm so amazed at the effect this had on my hair. If feels so soft! And it does seem to bring out some waves too.

I also used it without glycerine, and it's fantastic stuff :)

Olivia23
November 13th, 2009, 07:49 PM
I cannot wait to try this in the morning! I cannot believe it took me this long to discover this recipe. We are like a bunch of mad scientist brewing up crazy ideas lol!

HerbalKarma
November 14th, 2009, 08:31 AM
mmmm... sounds lovely, I will have to try it this mix ! thank you for sharing...

Pony Girl
November 20th, 2009, 11:09 PM
Sounds like a great recipe, since glycerin and aloe are very hydrating. I'm heading out to get the ingredients now. Thanks for the recipe.

Pixna
January 1st, 2010, 11:45 AM
I just whipped up a batch of this two days ago, and so far, I love it. Anyone still using it? If so, when and how do you use it and how is it working out for you?

Xandergrammy
January 1st, 2010, 11:53 AM
I'll be making my first batch as soon as my glycerin gets here. I can't wait to try it!!

Pixna
January 1st, 2010, 12:17 PM
It's so easy to make, Xandergrammy. I got aloe vera gel, glycerin, and grapeseed oil for mine at Whole Foods (I already had distilled water, lavender essential oil, and a spray bottle). I'm hoping it won't get "funky," since I used aloe vera gel without preservatives. It definitely defrizzes. I've tried it only on dry hair so far, and combed it through. I'm wondering how everyone else uses it, and whether they use it on wet or dry hair.

Xandergrammy
January 1st, 2010, 01:07 PM
It's so easy to make, Xandergrammy. I got aloe vera gel, glycerin, and grapeseed oil for mine at Whole Foods (I already had distilled water, lavender essential oil, and a spray bottle). I'm hoping it won't get "funky," since I used aloe vera gel without preservatives. It definitely defrizzes. I've tried it only on dry hair so far, and combed it through. I'm wondering how everyone else uses it, and whether they use it on wet or dry hair.

I'll probably use it on wet and dry hair. I like to mist every morning before I put my hair up. I think I'll put some in a smaller bottle and keep some at work too.

Sia
January 2nd, 2010, 03:36 AM

If I want my hair to dry curly, I use the de-frizz spray after a wash on wet/damp hair and just scrunch it in lightly. I think if I combed it through, my hair would frizz despite the spray.
I use it on dry hair too if it gets frizzy during the day and use it on dry hair in the mornings for 2nd or 3rd day curls.
I do have to be careful not to use too much though (tempting because it works so well!) or else I'll get a stickyish build-up.

Pixna
January 2nd, 2010, 07:27 AM
Hi, Sia! Thanks for sharing how you use it! When you spray it on 2nd and 3rd day curls, do you scrunch again afterward? Your curls look AWESOME, by the way! :bow:

Sia
January 2nd, 2010, 08:21 AM
Hi, Sia! Thanks for sharing how you use it! When you spray it on 2nd and 3rd day curls, do you scrunch again afterward? Your curls look AWESOME, by the way! :bow:

Hey Pixna! And thank you:flower:
Well, yes, I scrunch a little, pat other parts down a little and separate some curls. It depends on what's frizzing, what's been squished during the night and what looks just plain weird..if you know what I mean:p

talervo
January 4th, 2010, 12:24 PM
I use the spray after a shower (using only shampoo). That way I get more wave to my hair, which I love. My hair used to be stick straight.
We live in a really dry environment, so I have to be careful about the glycerin. However, the amount in the recipe is fine. I do have to add a bit more oil to get it to defrizz, though. Still experimenting with the oil.

Pixna
January 4th, 2010, 02:49 PM
Thanks, Talervo. I've only used it on dry hair so far (and love it). I will have to try it on my wet hair next wash day!

yogachic
June 16th, 2010, 06:30 PM
I just mixed some of this up in a 5 oz mister, and its thicker than i expected. Is it supposed to be, or more liquidy.

Sammybunny711
June 16th, 2010, 07:02 PM
I made this stuff once. It's amazing!

LawyerGirl
June 16th, 2010, 07:22 PM
Sorry I didn't read every post, but I did see some people mention that the mix got funky after a few days... has anyone added Vitamin E or other things to extend the shelf life with any luck?

Pixna
June 17th, 2010, 04:46 AM
I use AO organic aloe vera in mine and I haven't had any problems with my spray going funky -- and I've had it for many months.

*Aoife*
August 23rd, 2010, 03:36 PM
I haven't read the entire thread but has anyone had any experience making the spray a little more concentrated. The only small spray bottle I can find is 100ml which is 3.38oz. I'm not sure how well I could adjust the amounts. Has anyone any experience with adjusting the amounts or making it more concentrated?

Thanks in advance.

whisper
August 23rd, 2010, 03:58 PM
I make the regular amount and just use it as the main supply by which I fill up my smaller spray bottle. It keeps for a couple of months withoout refrigeration.

angelthadiva
August 28th, 2010, 12:46 PM
I've tripled the batch and it has lasted for months and months without refrigeration. I've also subbed other oils too it works great :)

Deelight
August 30th, 2010, 01:24 PM
I found a rosewater facial toner spray at Whole Foods that is basically composed of the same ingredients as the KL defrizz spray: aloe, jojoba, glycerin, essential oils. I will look at the brand name when I get home and post it. Already mixed up, already in a spray bottle, has some preservatives in it to keep it from going funky.

janeytilllie
September 8th, 2010, 02:45 PM
I didn't have any aloe vera gel or a 4oz/125 ml spray bottle so I made a slightly different version :)

In a 50 ml spray bottle

3 drops jojoba oil
2 drops glycerin
3 drops Faith in Nature Aloe vera conditioner

My hair is so soft and shiny! :joy: I love this recipe :D
I can't wait to get some aloe vera gel and a bigger spray bottle to try the original recipe out.

dreamy10
September 9th, 2010, 07:09 AM
wow, you had me at defrizz. I am going to try this for sure.

vanessa_2010
October 10th, 2010, 07:43 AM
I donīt have aloe vera but Iīve been thinking about using lemon juice instead, because Iīve seen that it helps prevent frizz as well.
Do you think itīs a good idea?

duh_its_Sarah
November 10th, 2010, 08:11 AM
going to mix this up at lunch and try it!

Zenity
November 10th, 2010, 08:57 AM
I don't think skipping the aloe will give you the same results but I do think adding lemon juice can improve the original recipe.

Must try that with the proportions of lemon juice adapted to my next batch.

wow, you had me at defrizz. I am going to try this for sure.

I donīt have aloe vera but Iīve been thinking about using lemon juice instead, because Iīve seen that it helps prevent frizz as well.
Do you think itīs a good idea?

jeanniet
November 10th, 2010, 01:10 PM
Has anybody tried this with camellia oil? How does it compare with the spray mixed with jojoba? I have both...just trying to decide which one to use. :ponder:
[B]Tresses[B], sorry I'm coming into this a little late, but I use a mix of jojoba, camellia, and argan oils and no glycerin (my hair doesn't like it). It works beautifully for me. I don't see why you couldn't use straight camellia oil if that's what your hair likes.

duh_its_Sarah
November 12th, 2010, 09:31 AM
how much do you spray? my sprayer keeps getting clogged so i have to pour and put on hair. my hair is about 4 inches from my butt. 2b.

duh_its_Sarah
November 16th, 2010, 09:28 AM
well i got 3 inches chopped. i have to pour the stuff in my hand and then put in my hair. i dont notice any difference. i put it in my hand, probably a nickel size and put it in my hair...2 or 3 times....

SarahBeth
November 29th, 2010, 10:14 PM
I love this stuff so far. Been using it for a few days. I think it's best applied to wet hair and combed through. I made one change to the recipe. Instead of 1 teaspoon jojoba oil (I don't have any), I used 1/4 tsp. olive oil. I used soo much less because olive is a heavier oil, I think.. But anyway, Thanks for the recipe, it's great!

Ana-Laura
November 30th, 2010, 12:33 AM
Thanks for posting this! At first I thought my hair looked greasy but it got absorbed during the day and in the evening there was still no frizz and my hair looked so shiney!:happydance:

SarahBeth
December 1st, 2010, 09:43 PM
I forgot to mention in my previous post, I use half the water called for and put it all in an old aloe vera bottle. It's about the consistancy of commerical hair gel. I just squirt out as much as I need (about 2 quarter-sized squirts) and run it through damp hair. Great stuff!

duh_its_Sarah
December 7th, 2010, 07:38 AM
Does anyone elses mister get clogged?

bonnie1735
December 7th, 2010, 01:18 PM
I add all of the ingredants in with my ACV rinse and cold water and pour it on my hair without rinsing it out. It really works wonders!!! Don't know if there are any bads about doing it this way. So far so good!

duh_its_Sarah
December 8th, 2010, 07:05 AM
Finally got a proper mister. I was using a spray bottle. The mister doesnt get clogged like the sprayer did! And wow, I love this mix!!! Especially in the winter!!!!!!

Syntyche
January 17th, 2011, 09:53 PM
FYI Wal-mart no longer carries the Fruit of the Earth Aloe Vera Gel (Curse them) thankfully most drug stores still do.

begooo
March 7th, 2011, 08:38 AM
Since I'm from Turkey, the measurement system may change here.
What is the specific amount of tablespoon?! Cause I know that in America, when you're talking about a table spoon, it's not the usual table spoon which we use for dinner. Am I insane, or right at some point?! LoL...

LadyG
March 7th, 2011, 09:42 AM
Tablespoon is 15ml. A teaspoon is 5ml.

begooo
March 7th, 2011, 04:25 PM
Tablespoon is 15ml. A teaspoon is 5ml.

Thank you! Now I know :)

sibiryachka
March 7th, 2011, 05:22 PM
Since I'm from Turkey, the measurement system may change here.
What is the specific amount of tablespoon?! Cause I know that in America, when you're talking about a table spoon, it's not the usual table spoon which we use for dinner. Am I insane, or right at some point?! LoL...

You are NOT insane :p What's insane is the true fact that, here in the US, a "table spoon" could mean either a (smaller) tea spoon, or a (larger) soup spoon, and neither of those corresponds to the tablespoon measurement. Further, the tea spoon you would put on the table does not correspond to the teaspoon measurement. It's all in whether one word, or two, is used.

Once again, I am filled with gratitude that I'm a native English speaker. Having to learn it as a second, coming from a native language that actually makes sense? Oy. I salute all of you who manage it so well!

Mesmerise
March 8th, 2011, 01:15 AM
Oh lol...in Australia a tablespoon is 20mL hahaha.

I just go online and convert oz to mL whenever I read US measurements, but I kinda assumed that a tablespoon was an official tablespoon not just a "big spoon".

I will have to remember that an American tablespoon is only 15 mL and not 20 ;).

begooo
March 8th, 2011, 02:46 AM
You are NOT insane :p What's insane is the true fact that, here in the US, a "table spoon" could mean either a (smaller) tea spoon, or a (larger) soup spoon, and neither of those corresponds to the tablespoon measurement. Further, the tea spoon you would put on the table does not correspond to the teaspoon measurement. It's all in whether one word, or two, is used.

Once again, I am filled with gratitude that I'm a native English speaker. Having to learn it as a second, coming from a native language that actually makes sense? Oy. I salute all of you who manage it so well!

Hahahaha I literally laughed out loud :) I went to school in the states for 4 years. Everything was so hard in the beginning but then I figured it out somehow and I think I'm doing fine now :) Measurements always confused me.

Everyone's so friendly and helpful here, I get my answers right away! Awesome!!!!

p.s. you're too funny :) thanks dear!! :cheese::cheese::cheese:

madeline_
March 30th, 2011, 09:29 AM
Bumping to show my love for this spray! It saved my hair from the hennadryness which I didn't seem able to resolve, and has almost entirely replaced oil leave-ins which never seemed to work for me and left my hair greasy.

And I love how it doubles as a during the day facial moisturizer. I spray it over my make-up too, which helps it stick better.

I wonder what the difference would be leaving the glycerin out?

Sooze
March 30th, 2011, 10:44 AM
Definitely going to try this. Using a mister spray is relatively new to me, but is becoming a daily part of my LHC hair care routine, but I've had aproblem with water and oils going nasty in the bottle, so will try the distilled water and glycerin.

leslissocool
March 30th, 2011, 12:04 PM
Alright, so I made this and used it for 3 weeks now... I have to say I LOVE IT!!! :cheer: I use it on my baby girl since her hair is frizzy too, and let me tell you this is just amazing!

THANK YOU SO MUCH! :D

whisper
April 2nd, 2011, 05:25 AM
The glycerin is good for when it is humid. It still works well for me without glycerin during the less humid months.

pixiedust
July 11th, 2011, 11:42 PM
I have very fine hair that hates aloe, and doesnt do well with humectants in general. Ive played with this recipe a lot and I like to reduce the aloe to 1 1/2 tbsp, and replace the glycerin with Ziyad brand flower honey. It makes my hair very shiny, tangle free and keeps my wurly waves in place without crunch/dryness. just thought I'd share that. :)

BTW, I add a few drops of frankincense oil, but i'm not sure if that makes a difference. I just like the scent ;)

Zenity
July 14th, 2011, 02:36 PM
Pixie,
The amount of honey is for 4Oz.?

diverbel
July 16th, 2011, 03:58 PM
Ok, I went out bought everything! Woohoo!! I can't wait to try it! So I got Fruit of the Earth 100% Aloe Vera gel, it has preservatives, ok I guess, Humco Glycerin USP, is it vegetable glycerin??? , and I already had jojoba oil and the squirt bottle. I am worried about the glycerin being mineral oil based, does anyone know about this brand? I got it from walmart in the pharmacy section.... I also need to find a better mister bottle as mine kinda squirts a heavy mist more like spray than mist and occassionally the dreaded stream ! LOL Now I live in Pensacola, Florida, which is on the water and VERY VERY humid here, is the glycerin gonna repel or attract moisture? Sorry for all the questions, I am just excited to finally be able to start experimenting and maybe finally controlling this crazy frizzy hair of mine!!

diverbel
July 19th, 2011, 07:42 AM
UPDATE: mixed a batch up and man that stuff is almost as thick as regular
store bought hair gel. So I also ordered some better mister bottles than what
you can get at Walmart... waiting on those to get here. Used the one I had, and
put the stuff on my toweldried hair. It works great and trust me the past three days has
been a perfect testing ground for it! Raining, hot and humid all at the same time and my hair has had minimal frizzing! Still wondering if the glycerin I got is veggie based, can anyone answer that question please??? So, a big huge OMG thankyou is in order for Kimberlily!!! Never have I found or made a product that actually works this well on my hair!! Youa re a lifesaver!!

SoulOfTheSea
July 20th, 2011, 08:29 PM
I cannot WAIT to try this! I have been in desperate need of a leave-in potion!! :D

diverbel
July 20th, 2011, 08:37 PM
SouloftheSea, your hair is beautiful and that is the length I have been trying for, for the past 20 years! Maybe one day I can get it like that and have it look as good as yours! This defrizz stuff is wondeful!! I just did henna/amla/buxus(katam) today, so I am holding off on anything in my hair for a few days as the buxus is extremely picky and will wash right out if I do anything to my hair for the first three to four days afterwards. But soon enough it will be back in my hair! It makes my hair soft also. So I am thinking with continued use, it may actually help my hair!!

Nae
July 25th, 2011, 07:10 AM
I just tried it today on wet hair. Thank you SoulOfTheSea for bringing this up again. I had seen this in the past but never seemed to have all the ingredients. Well guess what? I must be a serious LHCer by now because I had every ingredient for this thing in my bathroom.

We will see how it goes once my hair dries.

catiebloo
July 25th, 2011, 10:24 AM
I mixed up some of this yesterday, but without the glycerine as i don't have any and i used this recipe for the oils.... 2 drops rosemary, 2 drops lavender, 2 drops clary sage, and 2 drops jasmine absolute.

I'm trying it out today so i'll come back and post how it's worked out...but so far it smells lovely!!

Can I just check though....do you apply to wet or dry hair, and is it a heavy or light misting?

Nae
July 25th, 2011, 10:38 AM
I applied it to wet hair and let it air dry. I had a few mister bottle accidents.....as in it was set to super strong shooting spray and I ended up spraying my bathroom wall. Tee hee. After I got it set back from "super soaker" to "mist" it worked great.

My hair has dried into lovely frizz free waves. I have heard others have used this to detangle and to reset curls so I will try it again in the morning!! Yay for another great recipe!!

diverbel
July 25th, 2011, 11:14 AM
I have used it on both wet and dry hair and it works equally well on both! Nothing and I mean nothing has EVER tamed my frizz and this is the closet to perfect as I can get!! I have ordered a proper mister bottle form www.specialtybottle.com and am waiting on it to get here so I can have a finer mist, but even using a dollup in your hands rubbing it together and working it through your hair works just as well to me!! I love this recipe and can't wait to use up the first batch so I can make more with different oils !!

ChristyM
July 25th, 2011, 06:10 PM
I have used it on both wet and dry hair and it works equally well on both! Nothing and I mean nothing has EVER tamed my frizz and this is the closet to perfect as I can get!! I have ordered a proper mister bottle form www.specialtybottle.com (http://www.specialtybottle.com) and am waiting on it to get here so I can have a finer mist, but even using a dollup in your hands rubbing it together and working it through your hair works just as well to me!! I love this recipe and can't wait to use up the first batch so I can make more with different oils !!

Hi Diverbel,
I was wondering what bottle you ordered from specialty bottles? I just ordered one too and was curious. I ordered the 4 oz blue round bottle. I love their bottles and have ordered from the company before. I can't wait to try this recipe. I'm going out tomorrow to get the aloe vera gel yeah..:)

CareBear
July 25th, 2011, 06:40 PM
Hey all, I was wondering if anyone has ever used tea for the water phase? I *adore* rooibos as a leave in and was hoping to impart its awesomeness to the mix. Any thoughts? (also I will probably end up adding a preservative)

DIVERBEL: did you order a bottle with atomizer from specialty bottle? I guess I will have to wait until you get it to ask how it works lol! They are a local company for me, and the last time I bought products from them I was disappointed because they had a minimum $ amount to be able to pick up at the warehouse. I was bummed because I didn't want to have to pay so much for shipping and I really wanted to support a local co, and as it turned out a lovely lady was picking up items at the warehouse (i went down to get a look at their stuff in person) and she allowed me to add my measly $20 order on to the end of her big one! I was so grateful! But they are closed now so i will have to wait and call tomorrow grr. I am instant gratification girl and I hate waiting!

diverbel
July 25th, 2011, 07:39 PM
I ordered two of the big 16oz blue round atomizer bottles, four of the round 4oz blue atomizer bottles, four of the 2oz round blue atomizers and three of the 4oz skinny tall blue atomizer bottles. I have always had a great experience with them and they ship super fast with no minimum order needed, just pay shipping for me which was like $6... I wish they were local for me! Oh and I got my order today! But I haven't filled one up yet with the defrizz spray as my daughter is here from out of town and she is getting married on Saturday so I have been preoccuppied !! I will try to fill it tomorrow and let yal know if it clogs it up.

diverbel
July 25th, 2011, 07:41 PM
Oh and carebear, yes I am sorry forgot to say that I did use specialty bottle company. Also what is this tea?? I have read the name several times on several threads and have never seen or heard of it before!

diverbel
July 25th, 2011, 08:35 PM
Ok, I got a few minutes to myself ! LOL And I transferred the defrizz spray to the specialty bottle blue 4oz round bottle with atomizer. It is to thick the come out of the atomizer as is. But if you add 1oz more of distilled water, it does just fine! I don't know if it is the glycerin or the aloe gel that makes it to thick, but just 1 more ounce of distilled water fixes the issue. I don't think that makes it to diluted either to still be effective as a defrizz spray either! I will keep experimenting and see if it works as good diluted or not! Just wanted to let yal know my findings as soon as I could!

CareBear
July 25th, 2011, 08:47 PM
Thanks for the quick action and report back Diverbel! I had an awesome post all typed out and my computer freaked and I lost it. :(

Anyway, so the rooibos aka red bush (I think) I found it at safeway and whole foods, numi brand. I don't particularly care for the taste, so I use the regular as a spray and drink the chai rooibos. It is supposed to help with hair growth. I haven't used it long enough to say either way, but it tames the wild hairline frizz I have as well as adding great shine. I'm a dark blond and am sadly lacking in the shine dept. Oh, I also saw it in the whole foods bulk tea aisle as red bush, perhaps if you have a loose tea seller in your area they will have it. And to be honest the safeway in the shi shi part of town had it but it's not at my local one, we must not be high class enough :D

I had done a failed SMT and needed to rewash the hair, so I did a gentle shampoo and condish, sprayed all over with the tea, and then spritzed the frizz spray. It's up in a towel now then to bed, so I will let you all know tomorrow how it turns out! (I had terrible hair today...big, poofy, tangly, yuk!)

diverbel
July 25th, 2011, 08:56 PM
Carebear, BTW, my name is Bel.... I use diverbel as an online ID everywhere.
thanks for the info on the tea. I live in a small town, and OMG, we thought we had hit the jackpot when we got a Publix LMAO! There is no wholefoods here, wish we had one and a chipotle while I am dreaming LOL But anyways, we do have a healthfood store here, but it is a joke and so over priced it is insane! I will check our stores here for it since it helps with frizzies! My hair is basically a distressed SOS pad on my head, so I know the pain of controlling frizzy hair with natural curly to boot!! Henna has loosened my curls alot, but done nothing for the frizzies! The defrizz spray is the closest I have ever come to controling it! I have also heard that a tea/rinse made from horsetail also does wonders as it has a very high amount of natural silica in it, so it would be like using cones, but all natural with no build up. I have some ordered and should be here this week. I won't be able to try it though till next week after my daughter's wedding is over and I can relax once again! LOL She is in bridezilla mode !! God help me!

Mesmerise
July 26th, 2011, 05:36 AM
I made some of this today, so I'll be able to test whether it remove the frizzies of DOOM from my hair! Fingers crossed!!

ChristyM
July 26th, 2011, 07:02 AM
I ordered two of the big 16oz blue round atomizer bottles, four of the round 4oz blue atomizer bottles, four of the 2oz round blue atomizers and three of the 4oz skinny tall blue atomizer bottles. I have always had a great experience with them and they ship super fast with no minimum order needed, just pay shipping for me which was like $6... I wish they were local for me! Oh and I got my order today! But I haven't filled one up yet with the defrizz spray as my daughter is here from out of town and she is getting married on Saturday so I have been preoccuppied !! I will try to fill it tomorrow and let yal know if it clogs it up.

Congrats on your daughter's wedding. That is exciting. I like the specialty bottle co too. Can't wait to get my bottles.

I just made a batch of the spray (used old bottle) and seems to be working great as far as not clogging it up. I tried on my legs and they are super soft. I will try on my hair and let you know. I hope it is super soft too :)

diverbel
July 26th, 2011, 07:23 AM
thank you for the congrats, it has been an interesting time, realizing that my baby is grown and getting married! So far I have made five bridesmaid dresses, 9 bootaneers(sp), five bouquets, 16 pew bows, and 20 centerpieces for the tables for the reception. I think that is it?? The wedding is Saturday, I need xanax LOL

ChristyM, it made my hair very soft! And I got some on my arm, rubbed it in and had very soft skin, so I am thinking this would make a great shave gel too!

Specialty bottle has some really cool bottles and jars and I have ordered from them before to put my whipped shea butter in! It is so fun making things!

Mesmerise, if it calms my frizzies from hell, I am sure it will be great for yours too!

CareBear
July 26th, 2011, 02:36 PM
Bel, hang in there, it sounds like you've been crazy busy! Don't forget to enjoy the day! :)

I am loving the spray, I made it with rooibos last night and sprayed it on along with my usual mist of straight tea. My hair was still damp this am when I took it out of it's sleep wrap, wore a lazy wrap bun most of the day and just now took it down and my wurls are still alive and well! The widows peak frizz from hell is behaving itself very nicely, my sad frizz, broken hairs from my glasses :( isn't as good but still much better than normal :D The weather here has been damp and rainy, same as yesterday, but the damp rainy huge hair syndrome is not happening today. Yaay!
Oh, I also have some oil steeping with rooibos, chamomile, and horsetail that I yanked out of the yard, dried, and whirled in the coffee grinder. I think next batch of frizz spray I will use some of that oil....

ChristyM
July 27th, 2011, 08:25 AM
thank you for the congrats, it has been an interesting time, realizing that my baby is grown and getting married! So far I have made five bridesmaid dresses, 9 bootaneers(sp), five bouquets, 16 pew bows, and 20 centerpieces for the tables for the reception. I think that is it?? The wedding is Saturday, I need xanax LOL

ChristyM, it made my hair very soft! And I got some on my arm, rubbed it in and had very soft skin, so I am thinking this would make a great shave gel too!

Wow Diverbel - you have been seriously busy... That is truly amazing.:)

For my first defrizzing ;) I used in combination with a new shampoo and conditioner, so my results were not so good. I'm not giving up yet though. I'm going to wash with the new shampoo and conditioner for a few days then retry the defrizz spray and if that doesn't work, I'm going to make a new batch without the glycerin. Well see.

Angel_099
July 27th, 2011, 11:47 AM
I have been wanting to try this SO badly after reading all of the rave reviews!! I also want to try the SMT that so many swear by. Both of these call for AVG. I went to CVS yesterday, and they were out of their clear aloe gel, so the closest thing I could find was Vaseline Aloe Fresh Moisturizing Daily Body Gel w/ 100% Natural Aloe Vera. Something tells me this probably won't work for either but I did go ahead and mix up a bottle of the defrizz spray. It is pretty thick but comes out of my mister bottle fine at the moment. I spritzed some on my dry hair (which wasn't really frizzy...but I HAD to try it!:)). My hair definitely feels smoother, and the scent is WONDERFUL!! I think it must be whatever fragrance was in the Vaseline Aloe. I tried it on my little girl, who always has a patch of frizz at the back of her head, and it is gone now:D! I did go ahead and place an order on Ebay for the Fruit of the Earth stuff--since I'm sure that is best, but was wondering if anyone could tell me if the Vaseline stuff is safe??:confused:

Here are the ingredients:
Water, Pentylene Glycol, Isoceteth-20, Glycerin, Aloe Barbadensis (aloe vera) Leaf Juice, Cucumis Sativus (cucumber) Fruit Extract, PEG-14, PEG-33, PEG-8 Dimethicone, Acrylates/C10-30 Alkyl Acrylate Crosspolymer, Potassium Hydroxide, Fragrance, Disodium EDTA, Methylparaben, DMDM Hydantoin.

I did not add glycerin...but it is in the ingredients...so YAY (I think..). Hope the rest of them are safe....

emelnd
July 31st, 2011, 12:39 PM
Thank you, I can't wait to try this. Curlies who use it as a detangler, do you comb before spraying this or spray, then comb?

diverbel
July 31st, 2011, 02:18 PM
I do both, sray a bit, comb, then bend over let my hair hang and spray again. I also use in between washings on dry hair.

Survived the wedding! She was beautiful! Everything went off without a problem!

emelnd
July 31st, 2011, 02:24 PM
Congratulations! And thanks for the tip.

Asequui
August 2nd, 2011, 11:24 AM
TY so much for this and your butter recipes!
I tweaked them a little for my hair and the supplies I had on hand and am LOVING the results!
:cheer:

paleocurl
August 7th, 2011, 03:40 PM
I just googled your recipes Kimberlily and I'm looking forward to trying them. I normally use a flax gel that I tweaked from a recipe posted on naturallycurly.com, as well as Trader Joe's aloe gel, but both are a bit drying so I'm going to see if adding the glycerin and jojoba oil works on my fine strands. Thanks very much for sharing.

WittyWordsmith
August 11th, 2011, 01:16 PM
Thanks to this DeFrizz spray, I just achieved a decent hair day with almost zero effort!

At least no real NEW effort... now that I know what my hair wants and I'm giving it that, the DeFrizz spray just gave me the polishing-off that my casual routine needed. :D

Mingle
August 12th, 2011, 11:10 AM
I've been wanting to try this spray, but I was wonder if I could use Garnier Pure Clean Smoothing cream instead of the glycerin? It contains glycerin and its 98% naturally derived, so it could work... right? =P

Here's a link: Garnier Pure Clean Smoothing Cream (http://www.ulta.com/ulta/browse/productDetail.jsp?productId=xlsImpprod3120595)

stacyyyy1972
August 13th, 2011, 04:15 AM
Im excited to give this a try...I will let you know how it works out for me..thank you for posting the recipe (:

autumn leaves
August 31st, 2011, 01:50 AM
So, I'm still in the first days of trying this out but I'm liking it so far, especially as I'm getting more used to figuring out how much to apply. I've only mixed jojoba, aloe vera gel and water, and then I've added a tiny bit of sea salt to enhance curls. I like :)

CAPA7
September 2nd, 2011, 12:32 PM
Ok, so I've decided I'm going to try and make that spray! I've been ordering ingredients from the internet and I'm almost ready, but I have one question: how many drops of essential oils should I use? I will be using a 4oz/125ml bottle and I have vanilla and cinnamon essential oils.
I saw on the net that you should divide the amount of carrier oil in ml by 2, so like for 10ml of carrier you'd use 5 drops of essential oil, but in this particular case, should i take into account the amount of moisturising OIL I'm using, of the 125ml that the bottle will contain once full? I'm confused! :S
Also since I'm going to be using both vanilla and cinnamon oils, should I add a little less of each?
Any help would be greatly appreciated! How many drops do you guys use?

Kyaatje
September 4th, 2011, 07:23 AM
My version (still needs to be tested longer)
1 tbs aloe vera juice
1 tbs seamollient
1 tsp mix off camellia, evening primrose and bernagy (?) oils
1 tsp glycerine
4 drops grapefruit eo
4 drops rose synergy eo
2 drops clary sage eo
Added rose water and demineralised water till mister was full

stacyyyy1972
September 4th, 2011, 07:39 PM

I am a true believer of your spray!! I absolutely love it. I use EVOO in mine. I tried the coconut oil and it seperated, so I placed that in another spritzer bottle with some condish but yours I use on my face for the makeup removal since I have very dry skin my face loves it! and I cannot wait to make your hair butter that is my next experiment!! Thank you for sharing your recipe :)

pepperminttea
September 7th, 2011, 02:06 PM
Is it okay to use deionised water in this? I have hard water, so tap water's out, but I can't find anywhere that sells distilled water here. I did google how to make it yourself, but the kitchen in this house isn't my domain, and I think it would be a step too far for my mother to see me trying to distil water. :o

Kyaatje
September 11th, 2011, 10:55 AM
My version (still needs to be tested longer)
1 tbs aloe vera juice
1 tbs seamollient
1 tsp mix off camellia, evening primrose and bernagy (?) oils
1 tsp glycerine
4 drops grapefruit eo
4 drops rose synergy eo
2 drops clary sage eo
Added rose water and demineralised water till mister was full

tested it for a little while now and I absolutely love it !!
First I did it together with the panacea growth mix and my hair felt a little coated but not severely.
Then I used it solo and my hair feels nice and soft and has lots less frizz. I did wash my hair sooner but that was because I had a party thing where I wanted to ware my hair in a half up. Normally I start braiding day 3 and 4 so I will see this week how that goes.
But I can't get over how nice my hair feels now ! :D

:cheese:

isshevital
October 29th, 2011, 08:58 AM
Sorry to bump this, but I figured it was better than starting my own thread. I had a brief honeymoon period with this defrizz spray, but now my hair is looking quite sad. Mostly my curls refuse to clump, instead they look dull and very poofy.

Anyway, this has been the only recent addition to my routine, and I'm feeling pretty assured that it's the glycerin pulling moisture from my hair because of the dry fall air. My question is if this will require clarifying shampoo, or if maybe SLS-free poo would be enough to get rid of the glycerin buildup?

Pixna
October 29th, 2011, 11:33 AM
pepperminttea, I don't see why you couldn't make it with dionized water. However, it will probably keep longer with distilled water. Here in the U.S., you can buy bottled distilled water at the grocery store (it's not something you would do at home).

isshevital, I don't know whether glycerin causes buildup. I suggest just doing a regular wash and finding out if that's sufficient. I make the De-Frizz spray without glycerin now, and it works beautifully.

isshevital
October 30th, 2011, 08:07 AM
Thanks Pixna. I usually CO wash but I'll try using an SLS-free poo on my length. I suppose that if it is indeed buildup, it shouldn't be too stubborn since I only used this for a couple weeks.

I'll start making mine without glycerin too, I imagine that should resolve the problem.

ETA: It worked like a charm. I diluted Aveda rosemary mint shampoo (which I believe has sulfates, but not SLS if I remember correctly) with just a couple drops of cheapie generic clarifying shampoo from Sally Beauty. I lathered this on my length twice and followed with a nice conditioner, which I left to sit for about 20 minutes under a shower cap. I literally cannot remember the last time I clarified my hair or shampooed my length, so this might be overkill just to remove glycerin. My hair looked pretty bad afterward, at least for the first day, still looked frizzy and kinda limp and with no curl definition. But after returning to my regular CO wash last night, I had a wonderful hair day today. I almost forgot that my hair was this wurly! It was turning into fairly loose waves and looking really limp and lifeless. For a while I was using this recipe as a leave-in on wet hair, but I think that makes my wurls fall flat. As a second-, third-, even fourth-day curl refresher though, it's magic!

Lipbalmbabe
February 24th, 2012, 09:16 PM
Sounds great I gotta try! :)

Chestnuthenna
September 25th, 2012, 12:56 AM
Oooh! This sounds like the answer to my dreams - I'm off to buy some glycerin! I've got a mister going with rosewater, argan oil and aloe vera - I wonder if I can cheat and add 1 tbsp glycerin to that for starters. Or is jojoba essential? (Sorry if someone has already answered that one, I've not read all through the thread yet).

whisper
September 25th, 2012, 06:18 AM
Hi!

There is wiggle room with the recipe but be careful with the glycerin. A couple of considerations...

1) What is the humidity like in your area?
I'm in New England and we are switching from humid days to drier ones. If I recall correctly, glycerin pulls the moisture out of the air to help control the frizz. If it is not humid, then it will look for moisture elsewhere and instead will pull it from your hair. Not good! If humidity is about 65% or less, skip the glycerin. You may want to even add a little extra oil instead.

2) moderation
With glycerin, a little goes a long way. A tablespoon would be too much. I can't remember who came up with this rule of thumb but I like it...1 drop of glycerin for each ounce of mixture.

Good luck!

hellucy
September 26th, 2012, 03:21 AM
I made up a small bottle yesterday (1/2 recipe with peppermint EO) and Wow!
The last inch of my hair has been really dry & rough for a few weeks and nothing was working, but after spraying & drying with this they are really soft & smooth - I applied the spray just before dinner so I think all the steam in the kitchen was 'sucked up' by the aloe & glycerin and put into my hair :shrug: This morning my hair is still lovely & soft & moisturised.

Rainbow2911
April 1st, 2013, 01:10 PM
I'd somehow forgotten about this spray! I made some years ago and loved it for smoothing my hair into buns. I've made up a bottle tonight and my hair is shiny and behaving itself. I also used it on my daughter's hair to tame her fly aways and it looked great.

kidari
April 3rd, 2013, 08:18 PM
This is my secret to banish any frizz! It's seriously a blowout in a bottle when used for damp bunning. I always wondered if anyone has tried it with a coney serum instead of straight oils? If I make a small batch and it's successful I will post on this thread in the future with the results.

DarleneH
July 14th, 2013, 06:57 PM
Iylivarae asked early on how long this is good for and I didn't see a definite answer. Do any of you know how fast the water in this would develop a bacteria bloom? Just the thought is major yuck!

Tails
July 21st, 2013, 01:58 AM
This is a great recipe! I made some and used this summer at our summerhouse, and my granny started using it to! I found her in the bathroom spraying her hair and she said that I had to make her some! =)

red-again
July 22nd, 2013, 01:30 AM
Well if the aloe gel has preservatives in which I seem to remember being mentioned way back on this thread, they will help stop any bacterial growth. Also keeping it in the fridge will help keep nasties at bay too

DarleneH
July 28th, 2013, 09:42 AM
Thanks, red-again. I ended up deciding to make a very small amount I can use up in a week. Then I'll clean the spray bottle with alcohol and start over.

chelles2kids
November 5th, 2013, 08:41 AM
Iylivarae asked early on how long this is good for and I didn't see a definite answer. Do any of you know how fast the water in this would develop a bacteria bloom? Just the thought is major yuck!

I would think it would depend on which EO's you use, some of them are natural anti-bacterial/anti-microbial.
Also my Aloe isn't 100% pure Aloe, it does have a few other ingredients in it, so I'm sure it takes care of the mold issue.

JustPam
October 17th, 2014, 01:43 PM
I bought a bottle of glycerin today and made up a batch of this. Humidity here is really high just now so it should work well. Also the first thing I've used my jojoba oil in and first hair thing for the aloe gel. Haven't put any EOs in yet, don't know what to use.

hufflepug
October 17th, 2014, 03:02 PM
My hair loves both aloe and jojoba, I can't wait to try this

kelseyxface
October 20th, 2014, 07:07 PM
Any tips on how to store this stuff? Should I leave it in the fridge? I'm using fresh aloe from the leaf in mine instead of store bought aloe vera.

Voqque
October 20th, 2014, 07:15 PM
I might try this.

kelseyxface
October 20th, 2014, 09:11 PM
Also I've heard things like glycerin are humectants and are bad for the winter months - would this mix be bad news bears for the up coming cold?

JustPam
October 21st, 2014, 02:16 AM
Also I've heard things like glycerin are humectants and are bad for the winter months - would this mix be bad news bears for the up coming cold?

It depends how wet your winters are I guess, not sure if temperature would affect a humectant. I live on the east coast of Scotland so we have no dry season, haha!

kelseyxface
October 21st, 2014, 09:04 PM
I live in Massachusetts and I dry out so bad, so I'm gonna assume this will be a no go for me this winter. ):

Arete
November 29th, 2014, 10:37 PM
Just spritzed some of this one my dog because she was smelly :p Made her fur nice and soft too.

DarleneH
November 30th, 2014, 05:06 AM
Just spritzed some of this one my dog because she was smelly :p Made her fur nice and soft too.

What did you make yours with? Is it anything that would be bad for her if she licks her fur?

GetMeToWaist
November 30th, 2014, 05:51 AM
i wanna try this sooo bad

Arete
November 30th, 2014, 11:21 AM
What did you make yours with? Is it anything that would be bad for her if she licks her fur?
MIne just has aloe vera gel, coconut oil, and water. No EO. So there shouldn't be anything that would make her sick. I also didn't do it on her leg/paws as these are the areas she does lick.
Aloe in full concentration can give a dog an upset stomach, but diluted out with water+ggel+coconut oil I'm not worried. My vet has told me in the past that if we put a little pure aloe vera gel on her skin itchies and she licks it not to be worried.
I would not use it on my dog if I had used straight aloe juice.

Arete
November 30th, 2014, 11:47 AM
MIne just has aloe vera gel, coconut oil, and water. No EO. So there shouldn't be anything that would make her sick. I also didn't do it on her leg/paws as these are the areas she does lick.
Aloe in full concentration can give a dog an upset stomach, but diluted out with water+ggel+coconut oil I'm not worried. My vet has told me in the past that if we put a little pure aloe vera gel on her skin itchies and she licks it not to be worried.
I would not use it on my dog if I had used straight aloe juice.

evelynmosby
November 30th, 2014, 07:30 PM
I've started using a honey treatment for my dandruff that seems to be working well but my hair has gotten decidedly "crunchy". Going to give this a shot and see how it goes! <iframe src="https://www.flickr.com/photos/pixlee_lo/15893323646/player/" width="75" height="75" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen webkitallowfullscreen mozallowfullscreen oallowfullscreen msallowfullscreen></iframe>

evelynmosby
November 30th, 2014, 07:43 PM
One Day I'll figure out how to post a picture lol

Arete
December 2nd, 2014, 12:29 PM
So I used this one my hair this morning, brushed it through my canopy with my soft boar bristle brush and WOW. I woke up, as usually with ultra frizzy bed head, this tamed it right away, and after walking around in a fleece lined wool hat (static anyone?) My looked great with hardly any fly-aways! I'm a convert :D

evelynmosby
December 20th, 2014, 06:51 PM
I can't wait to try this :)

mzlbcmami
April 22nd, 2015, 08:55 PM
Oh this sounds lovely! Thank you kindly! :)

hayheadsbird
October 19th, 2016, 12:49 PM
Having read through the thread I decided to give this a go tonight. No jojoba oil, so I substituted argon, skipped the EO and used rose water. Quick spray, and rebuned hair.
The delightful toddler snaffled my hair stick before bath time, and the result was lovely bun waves :) looking forward to seeing how this works for me over a bit of time. Will prob use as a detangle. Hoping it will give a bit of moisture to my ends between washes.