PDA

View Full Version : leaving it wavy!

Debra83
June 17th, 2009, 08:33 AM
After a discussion with Manderly on another thread, once again I am trying to leave my natural wave in and not brush it out. So, this morning I got up and did one of the methods I found on the Mixed Chicks site that I found in one of their videos awhile back. (I also trimmed my hair last night because the ends were really crunchy, and no amount of coconut or camellia oil could fix it!).

So this is how it looks today - hopefully I'll get more proficient at it.

What do you think?

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?pictureid=42025&albumid=2126&dl=1245248723&thumb=1

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?pictureid=42026&albumid=2126&dl=1245248723&thumb=1

98% dry after an hour and fifteen minutes.

GlassEyes
June 17th, 2009, 08:39 AM
Uhhh, can't really tell. The pictures are really small. xD;

Debra83
June 17th, 2009, 08:43 AM
Can't seem to get them any bigger, but they are in my album that when you click on them they seem bigger than here! They "changed" when I upgraded my windows. So did the look when I download the images.

abritta3
June 17th, 2009, 08:45 AM
Despite the small picture, I think it looks great! I, personally, with 3a hair...stopped fighting my natural wave/curl a while back...haha it's just no use (unless you don't mind straightening/damaging every day).
It definitely suits you and you will get progressively better at it. I, too, only use oils on my hair. I don't use any other product...no gel, no hair spray...nada...:) Oils work fabulously for waves/curls. I think it is exactly the moisture we need.

GlassEyes
June 17th, 2009, 08:49 AM
Ahh, looked in the album. It looks very nice! : D Looks quite curly.

Debra83
June 17th, 2009, 08:53 AM
Thank you! It's 100% dry now, but I have to go catch the bus, and of course, it is raining!!!! sigh.

Furiana
June 17th, 2009, 09:00 AM
Hahaha! Figures. :D At least you don't have to worry about your straightened hair frizzing!

I like the curly (I mean wurly, I mean wavy) look. It's going to look reeeally good once you grow it long! :thumbsup:

demitasse
June 17th, 2009, 09:36 AM
It looks very nice on you. :) It can be tough making the transition to your natural texture because there are some days that, no matter what you do, curly/wavy/wurly hair just don't behave. Enjoy your good hair day!

nancy33936
June 17th, 2009, 08:13 PM
looks nice.

Teacherbear
June 17th, 2009, 10:31 PM
I like the curly waves! :rockerdud Did you fluff or scrunch as your hair was drying? I do to get a little more lift at my roots.

I say keep doing it! :)

ReddishRocks
June 17th, 2009, 10:35 PM
Yay! Very nice. I've become so much happier in the last year since I stopped fighting my natural hair. I'm just on a never ending quest to bring out its best qualities (total product junkie now, LOL!). :)

Debra83
June 17th, 2009, 11:28 PM
Thanks all. I took this photo at the bus stop, I figured I'd check out the colour outside too, but now I don't know what to think.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=2126&pictureid=42091

concrescence
June 17th, 2009, 11:39 PM
Wow! Looks awesome! I, too, am learning to love and encourage my natural waviness. I wish that mine had as much volume to the waves and curls as yours does.

What is the Mixed Chicks methods that you posted about? I'd like to try it, since you got such nice results, and regular scrunching isn't quite cutting it for me. Could it be done with another kind of product? I just bought ingredients to make Fox's Shea Conditioning Cream. Would that work with it)

Gumball
June 17th, 2009, 11:39 PM
I think it looks great! If you like it a lot, too, then certainly keep it up!

Debra83
June 17th, 2009, 11:45 PM
I like the curly waves! :rockerdud Did you fluff or scrunch as your hair was drying? I do to get a little more lift at my roots.

I say keep doing it! :)

I followed the instructions on one of the mixed chicks video.

manderly
June 17th, 2009, 11:49 PM
It looks great! Your hair is gorgeous!! How do you feel about your newly found curls? ;)

Katze
June 17th, 2009, 11:51 PM
Wow, really pretty!

It sounds like more moisture is better for your curls. My BF (I need to start saying fiance' ! ) has very similar hair and I find if I can talk him into things like regular SMTs and leave-ins, his curls look much nicer.

Also, I can't imagine trying to get hair as wavy/curly as yours straight. My hair is much less wavy, but would always get 'these weird bumps' when I tried to make it straight. Now I am really happy letting it do its own thing, but also scrunching or plopping to make it even wavier.

What works for me is also leave-in mixed with hair gel for scrunching and styling. Then I can usually wear it down a couple of days after washing.

You have very lovely hair, and it is a nice color, too!

Debra83
June 17th, 2009, 11:58 PM
Wow! Looks awesome! I, too, am learning to love and encourage my natural waviness. I wish that mine had as much volume to the waves and curls as yours does.

What is the Mixed Chicks methods that you posted about? I'd like to try it, since you got such nice results, and regular scrunching isn't quite cutting it for me. Could it be done with another kind of product? I just bought ingredients to make Fox's Shea Conditioning Cream. Would that work with it)

I clicked on the mixed chicks ad on LHC and found an instruction video there. (I am not a mixed chick, but it works very well on my hair type).

The first time I used the method, I used the result as the album cover on my site. I used the method, but not the mixed chicks product because I didn't have it yet. I just used a health food store conditioner.

This is the second time I used the method, but with the product. The reason for such a long time between is that it takes my hair an hour and fifteen to dry using this method, and I'm too much of a pillow hugger in the morning to want to get up to do it.

Today, I cwc'd, and left my hair sopping wet. Didn't bring a towel near it at all. I parted it down the middle, and sectioned it into four sections. 2 at the front and 2 at the back. I put a dollup of product on my hand and spread it between both hands and distributed it onto one section. Put another 3 dollups on each remaining section. I kind of twisted the sections a little as I pulled the product through. Then I put all the sections together and twisted the excess water out into the bathtub. Then I flipped upside down, and scrunched the hair upwards. Flipped right side up again, made sure it was laying correctly and let it air dry. As it was drying, I scrunched only two more times being very careful not to touch the hair too much as they say on the video instruction "that is what causes frizz". NO TOUCHY! Once it's dry, it's soft and fun to play with. While it is wet, NO TOUCHY!!! Can I emphasize that enough?!!!!

Debra83
June 18th, 2009, 12:03 AM
It looks great! Your hair is gorgeous!! How do you feel about your newly found curls? ;)

Thanks again manderly. If I hadn't had that discussion with you, I may never have tried this again!!!

I'm still trying to work out the "semantics" for lack of a better term on how to deal with curls (what styles to try and how to wear my hair). I took the outside picture for the first time today, and was very surprised at how much lighter it looks outside compared to inside. Henna is very weird. Even when used not at full strength. How can it chameleon like that? Very strange.

jera
June 18th, 2009, 01:19 AM
After a discussion with Manderly on another thread, once again I am trying to leave my natural wave in and not brush it out. So, this morning I got up and did one of the methods I found on the Mixed Chicks site that I found in one of their videos awhile back. (I also trimmed my hair last night because the ends were really crunchy, and no amount of coconut or camellia oil could fix it!).

What do you think?

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?pictureid=42025&albumid=2126&dl=1245248723&thumb=1

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?pictureid=42026&albumid=2126&dl=1245248723&thumb=1

98% dry after an hour and fifteen minutes.

Wow ! That looks awesome. Your hair is so thick and healthy. Good choice to leave those natural waves. :eyebrows:

Rini
June 18th, 2009, 01:23 AM
Looks great!

You ought to try plopping and maybe try some AVG.....so many things you could try with wavy hair!! Enjoy :D

Debra83
June 18th, 2009, 08:42 AM
Looks great!

You ought to try plopping and maybe try some AVG.....so many things you could try with wavy hair!! Enjoy :D

Thanks Rini, what's AVG?

Pixna
June 18th, 2009, 10:18 AM
Looks great, Debra! Your wurls look a lot like mine. Unfortunately, I'm not comfortable yet going wurly most of the time. I air dry and then comb with a wide-tooth comb. I just can't get used to the "messy" look, and I'm not crazy about using a lot of product in my hair. Your lovely wurls are persuading me to keep trying, though! :gabigrin:

rach
June 18th, 2009, 10:36 AM
now i've found the right levels with oiling i've gained a new love for my waves which i used to hate massively in the past.

Waves / curls are cool :cool:

loads of people would love to have curls like yours naturally :blossom:

GlassEyes
June 18th, 2009, 10:38 AM
AVG is aloe vera gel. :D

Curlsgirl
June 18th, 2009, 11:00 AM

What do you think?

98% dry after an hour and fifteen minutes.I LOVE IT!!!!

Hahaha! Figures. :D At least you don't have to worry about your straightened hair frizzing!

I like the curly (I mean wurly, I mean wavy) look. It's going to look reeeally good once you grow it long! :thumbsup:I agree to both of these!!!!!!! :cheese:

redcelticcurls
June 18th, 2009, 11:02 AM
I'm partial to a little texture myself, so I think the waves/wurls are very pretty.

It's often easier to work with your hair's texture as opposed to against it.

Curlsgirl
June 18th, 2009, 12:07 PM
I'm partial to a little texture myself, so I think the waves/wurls are very pretty.

It's often easier to work with your hair's texture as opposed to against it.

Aye aye!!! :beercheer:

RoseRedDead
June 18th, 2009, 04:39 PM
Your hair looks lovely. And I agree with the above posters... why fight what you can improve?

funnybunny668
June 18th, 2009, 05:01 PM
Very pretty!
Another thing you'll probably notice is that the more you wear it wavy, the wavier it will get. Mine always does, any way.

coolbreeze212
June 18th, 2009, 06:21 PM
Yes, I like it :)

JamieLeigh
June 18th, 2009, 06:50 PM
Yours looks very nice wavy! :flower: I'm also leaving mine wavy. I've fought with it for years, only to find out it looks better and fuller when I just leave it alone. ;) Imagine that, lol.

Debra83
June 19th, 2009, 12:12 AM
I just hope the t-shirt towel method helps to quicken the drying time. I'm cutting into valuable sleep otherwise! I'm going to try it in the morning, and see what happens!

HeatherLarsen
June 21st, 2009, 06:54 PM
It is beautiful! I am trying to embrace my waves as well.

psvzum
June 21st, 2009, 08:59 PM
Beautiful!

Debra83
June 21st, 2009, 11:14 PM
Thank you!