PDA

View Full Version : BBB Question: 3B and curliers please advise

swan
June 17th, 2009, 08:28 AM
I would normally have posted this question in the curly thread, but we've not been active on that thread so far as I know for a while now so I thought to post here.
I've started brushing my 3b/3C hair recently using a wooden brush. After many years of brush-apathy, I've just started brushing for a few minutes right before washing every morning and my scalp couldn't feel any better. No itching, sore spots etc. anymore. Though my hair is short and the wooden brush doesn't seem to be damaging right now, I really want to try BBB for its massage benefits to the scalp.
My question for those with as curly hair as mine or curlier is that if anyone has used a BBB comfortably and if so what brand you'd recommend. A MP BBB is ideal but it's too expensive for me to buy and be disappointed that it can't work on my hair. Any and all recommendations are mostly appreciated :-)

Merewen
June 17th, 2009, 10:16 AM
I'm not quite 3B but I might be able to help. :D

Hair brushing is usually not recommended for curls because of the resulting POOF. I've stopped brushing my hair and it looks fabulous. But if you are using it right before your shower, that shouldn't be a problem. If it makes your scalp happy, do it! Just don't brush right after, unless you are going for that brillo-pad look.

If you are interested in trying a BBB, you can usually find cheapies at Walmart or wherever just to see if they work for you. If they do, then you can maybe think of investing in the more expensive, higher quality one. Heck, if you pay shipping I"ll send you mine, but it was so cheap it might be more economical to buy your own.

swan
June 17th, 2009, 10:40 AM
Thanks Merewen :) This is helpful. I need to stop by Target soon so I look there first.
Yes, brushing after wash is of course a NO NO! I hadn't brushed and only combed or mostly fingercombed for more than a decade so didn't know how brushing makes my scalp happy....so I found a compromise and fit it in my pre-wash chores.
And, thanks for offering to send yours....I think I'll look for one in Target first to see what I find.

cocolover
June 17th, 2009, 11:56 AM
I am not quite that curly, but my hair still does not do well with brushing. I use my seamless comb to kind of scratch/massage my scalp and also do a scalp massage twice a week with oil. This keeps my scalp happy.
I tried a BBB brush but it didn't work for me. I bought one at Sally's beauty supply for like $5, really cheap. DD has it now with her 1b hair :)

swan
June 17th, 2009, 12:05 PM
Thanks! $5 is worth paying to give it a try....though i never thought it would work on my curls but one curly on another forum says it's been the best thing she's used. That got me really curious!

GlassEyes
June 17th, 2009, 12:17 PM
Scalp health and hair health are two different animals. Brushing your scalp can help move and distribute sebum, stimulate blood flow, and help keep it clean/loosen dirt and oils that may otherwise stay after washing in the shower.

But they make curly hair go boom. So I'd keep doing what you're doing. As long as you aren't ripping through tangles and such, it shouldn't cause much damage. Boom, yes, but not damage.