PDA

View Full Version : Bobby Pin Breakage

frangipani
June 17th, 2009, 08:14 AM
I am trying to grow out a fringe that doesn't really suit me that well, so i bobby pin it out of the way

But they snag and pull at my hair when i take them out. I think this could be breaking it and prolonging the process of trying to grow the fringe out :steam

I don't think those snap clips are much better - does anyone else experience this or have a better idea to keep it from falling in my face?! it doesn't quite tuck behind my ears yet...

Gothic Lolita
June 17th, 2009, 08:23 AM
I've the same problem with bobby pins and prefer these tiny claw clips. You sometimes need a few of them, but they hold quite well and can also be used to secure a bun and hide fliy-away hair.

Madame J
June 17th, 2009, 08:26 AM
I use tiny claw clips to secure buns and twists and have never noticed them snagging on my hair.

frangipani
June 17th, 2009, 08:29 AM
ooh great minds think alike - thanks people :)

demitasse
June 17th, 2009, 09:47 AM
Tiny jaw clips are my preference too. I look for the higher quality ones some of the cheap ones are poorly made. If you have Goody brand in Australia, they make great quality clips for just a few dollars.

nimeera
June 17th, 2009, 10:19 AM
I use either claw clips or the big bobby pins. On the bobby pins, you have to be careful to watch the plastic coated tips. If you look closely, the plastic tip sometimes pulls a little away from the metal of the bobby pin. This snags your hair when you pull it out. When you have a bobby pin that snags, look at the condition of the plastic coating on the tip.

I just threw one bobbypin away yesterday for this vary reason. They do wear out! Just be diligent, and you will be able to use them.

I like the claws to somtimes secure a cinnabun (using four small claws on the four corners). I sometimes like to secure with 2-4 bobbypins instead (yes, all my hair can be secured in a cinnabun with only two bobbypins....depressing!). The bobbypins are great when you want them to be less obtrussive in your updo, and want to highlight your decorative hairtoys instead.

heidi w.
June 17th, 2009, 10:50 AM
Bobby pins.

My hair would never hold all folded up in an updo with any amount of clips one considers. And it's so slippery, that when I had bangs, these things would slide out, too.

So bobby pins for updos, anyway.

The finish on pins DO wear off. SO throw them away, and regularly (as needed) replace pins.

If your hair is getting caught up by such a pin where the rubber tip has lifted, for example, then take all other pins out, get hair as down as possible, open the offending pin wide, and lift out the HAIR (don't force the pin out and shred hair).

heidi w.

liseling
June 17th, 2009, 04:27 PM
What about a headband? Make sure it doesnt have catchy things on the ends - I used to have some of those during my childhood and they would snag in the hair behind my ears (OUCH!). But now I use cloth covered ones that never catch my hair or damage it in any way as far as I can tell.

Fractalsofhair
June 17th, 2009, 04:38 PM
Bobby pins don't seem to damage my hair, however, I have broken bobby pins themselves. (I put too much hair in one, and as opposed to sliding out, it just snapped!) XD Also, my hair is too damaged to say if a style causes damage, I do know bleaching and heat styling does, but bobby pins are definitely gentler than a flat iron!

GoddesJourney
June 17th, 2009, 04:44 PM
There are little snap clips that are lined with silicone to make them stay in one place. This also rounds the corners on them. You might want to try that.

Saisaisayonara
June 17th, 2009, 04:55 PM
I feel that bobby pins do that to my hair too. Might try those little claw things XD