PDA

View Full Version : Hair growing faster

maaria
June 17th, 2009, 05:58 AM
Hi.
How do you make your hair to grow faster. It feels like my hair will not grow at all :(.

Addy
June 17th, 2009, 06:13 AM
Well, there is no real quick tip or fix to make hair grow longer faster. If there were, we'd all be long hairs.

My suggestion for you would be to drink plenty of water, get daily exercise and maybe implement some vitamins <Hair, Body, Skin and Nails>. Other than that, time grows hair long. Be patient. It's key. Enjoy your hair at the current length it is because if you really want long hair for a long time, it won't be that short again til you decide to cut.

Gothic Lolita
June 17th, 2009, 06:21 AM
I could tell you now very much about the subject, but I've got to go, so I'll just say to search to boards. You should look into scalp massage, vitamins, monistat (!), moisturizing and oils, and also into the sulphate/no-sulphate thing.
There's plenty of information and many members had success with one or another method, mostly through trial and error. unfortunately, there's no failsafe method.

redneckprincess
June 17th, 2009, 06:21 AM
my magic pill is BIOTIN, since I have been taking it my hair growth rate shot up from less then 1/8"/mo. to just over 1"/month. but everyone is diffrent. great care and paitence is key. You have already done the first step by joining here and now you just have to give it 2-3 years depending on how long your hair is now and how long you want it maybe only 1 year maybe 5+. Pictures of the back of your head {hair} every couple of months is a great help, and once you can look at everyone elses albums you could become very inspired♥ Good Luck!!

Charlotte
June 17th, 2009, 06:24 AM
Hello maaria, I guess when you have fine and thin hair like we do, it does seem to take forever. I found chin to shoulder to take forever because I have a very long neck. I was always 'doing' things to it - like having it cut and trying new short styles. The only way for it to grow is to leave it alone and wait... :pray: Also, don't perm or colour it if you can avoid it - too much damage and then breakage. I'm suffering breakage from prior colouring but can't bear to cut it all off as it took so long to grow to waist - five whole years....sigh...

BajanGal
June 17th, 2009, 07:16 AM
It seems like this is the question many people are asking... "how do i get my hair to grow faster?" .... Unfortuntely it takes time... I know, who wants to hear that right? but the best thing you can do is to take good care of your hair so when it does grow it is in good shape!
Drink plenty of water...excersise... give yourself scalp massages....eat healthy!

HoneyBeeMissy
June 17th, 2009, 07:49 AM
My hair seemed to be taking forever to grow until I started taking vitamins regularly. I've been taking biotin and msm specifically for my hair since April and I've gain 3 inches in that time! I also try to eat lots of protein and fruits and veggies.

There was a thread I read awhile back about a horse product (mega tek??) that is supposed to help your hair grow faster. I've not tried it since I've had great results improving my nutrition but it might be something you could look into.

Dolly
June 17th, 2009, 07:54 AM
I take Maxi Hair, which is a vitamin with Biotin.....I do heavy oilings with coconut oil 1-2 times weekly, and just generally try to take better care of my hair than I did in the past.....I still color with chemical dye, but do not heat style or perm it, and I do not use sulfate shampoos either.....

As a result, my hair is longer than it has been since I was 8 years old......I had it cut when I was in the third grade, and after that, I could never seem to get it to grow past BSL.....it would get so damaged that I was constantly having it trimmed.....

abritta3
June 17th, 2009, 08:52 AM
Hi there. I take GNC ultra nourishair which has MSM, biotin & other nutrients in it that we need for healthy hair. Healthy hair is the FIRST step to growing out your hair because if it's not healthy then it will keep breaking/splitting off and your hair will seem like it's not growing.
So if you straight iron or use any other heating tools I would stop immediately (if your goal is to grow...plus it's just better for your hair;))
I also threw out all my old products. I am 3a curly hair so if I can throw away the mousse/gels/etc and rely only on coconut/jojoba oil then I bet most anyone here can too :)
I also switched the CO only method for my hair (which it LOVED) and I do updos 80% of the time.
The main ingredient in growing out long, healthy locks is patience. I like LHC because the women/men who currently have long hair inspire me to keep going & to take the BEST care of my hair possible.

kmoc123
June 17th, 2009, 09:58 AM
Lots of patience, vitamins, monostat, conditioner, being gentle with your hair, and above all STAY AWAY FROM SCISSORS!!!

maaria
June 17th, 2009, 01:50 PM
Ok, water, vitamins, lots of patience, no ironing and no color with chemical dye...and stay away from scissors :o
Thank you everyone for your good advice :flower:

Nevermore
June 17th, 2009, 02:38 PM
Scalp massages are really helpful too. I do them nightly after I wash my hair, it helps fluff the first inch or so of hair so it doesn't lay flat and it seems to increase growth.

thankyousir74
June 17th, 2009, 03:18 PM
I just use cheese :cheese:

Just kidding, pretty much just avoid the scissors.

Other than that there is no magic potion :stirpot:

Canarygirl
June 17th, 2009, 03:18 PM
I understand all of these suggestions except the "drink lots of water" one. I see that frequently as advice for growing hair faster...but, how/why does drinking lots of water help hair grow?

feralnature
June 17th, 2009, 03:23 PM
(1) Don't run with scissors!
Stay away from scissors!
Your friend is not scissors!
You do not need a trim to "make your hair grow"!
A hairdresser only makes money if she cuts your hair!

(2) Hang out here at this forum and read everything you can. There is a "search" feature on here that is very useful. There is tons or useful info here that will take a long time to read on your new and wonderful journey. Having landed at this site is good luck for your hair.

(3) My friends are Biotin 5,000 mcg per day and using coconut oil in my hair. Also, I do not wash my hair everyday, do not brush it, and rinse the conditioner out in cold water. No blow drying and no curling iron/flat iron.

Enjoy!

feralnature
June 17th, 2009, 03:28 PM
I understand all of these suggestions except the "drink lots of water" one. I see that frequently as advice for growing hair faster...but, how/why does drinking lots of water help hair grow?

Drinking lots of water insures general good health. Many people walk around somewhat dehydrated and don't know it. Also, if you drink as much water as you really ought to, you leave less room for empty calories such as what is found in soda water or junk food. Many times a body that is dehydrated will give off the signal for hunger when really what it wants is fluids. Or rather a person thinks they need to eat when they are really thirsty. Without proper fluid balance, many things get out of wack. Kidneys, liver, brain, skin etc. So hair and nail growth are also affected. Water intake is imperative for good health.

Gingevere
June 17th, 2009, 03:40 PM
Everyone seems to have their own hair-growing secret. You really just have to find what works for you. I take a hair/skin/nails vitamin with biotin and use jojoba oil for scalp massages and oiling the bottom 10" of my hair. I often mix in EOs such as lavender, thyme, rosemary, ylang-ylang, and cedarwood.

Other than that, it's really just damage prevention and control. Avoid heat styling, overwashing, and other habits that can cause breakage and split ends. If (or when) you get your hair trimmed, make sure to steer clear of razors. If your hair is long enough to wear up, do so to prevent damage to your ends. Again, you have to find a routine that works for your hair and lifestyle. You'll figure it out after spending some time on this forum. ;)

ETA: Just read the thing about drinking water, which reminds me of another key to growing your hair... overall health! Paying extra attention to your hair is important, but you can't expect maximum growth if you're not healthy the first place. Besides drinking water, which really makes a difference, you should also do your best to eat a healthy, balanced diet and stay in shape. As in nature, everything in your body is connected. To ensure the health of one part, you must first ensure the health of the whole.

maaria
June 17th, 2009, 03:43 PM
Thanx for your advise :D

2luvmycurls
June 17th, 2009, 03:44 PM
This is not really a way to make your hair grow longer faster, but the thing that I try to do that helps is not think about it. I had been measuring quite a lot, and while the rate of growth was okay, it just seemed like it would take forever. I just simply let life happen and forgot about my hair, and after 6 or 7 months or so, found out my hair grew 4 inches! Just by measuring now, and not every month, a 4" gain somehow seems more impressive than measuring every month for me, even though it would be the same growth rate.

Good luck growing!! :)

jojo
June 17th, 2009, 04:40 PM
Vitamins didnt help that much with me, but patience did!

Misery
June 17th, 2009, 06:22 PM
While avoiding hairdressers might help, I don't think avoiding scissors all together will.
I trim small amounts off my ends regularly and chop off any splits when I see them before they get any worse.

windinherhair
June 17th, 2009, 06:37 PM
This sounds like something I may be asking in the future since my hair has never seemed to grow past a certain point. I hope not though... I am about to hit my 3 month mark without trimming (and I have never gone beyond that!).

I would say a multi-vitamin is a good thing. I am taking a break from Biotin to see if my face clears up any. I think a good diet including sufficient protein is important too.

82exoticbeauty
July 25th, 2009, 01:47 AM
vitamins, oiling the scalp together with Camellia Oil and Castor Oil, and eating sushi seaweed wraps that I buy at an Asian market place! no scissors by cutting hair (except for S&D for splits)

I actually posted a reply about my vitamin schedule on what vitamins I take: What does your vitamin schedule look like?
on this link here
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=27613&page=4