PDA

View Full Version : Helppppp!

Gertlush
June 17th, 2009, 05:28 AM
HI guys
this is going to sound really weird to some of you but I have a massive problem
Whenever my mum trys to take me to the hairdresser I wont go. So she thinks I havn't had it cut for years,well ever. But i do cut it myself.
I am starting college in september and I really want it cut for then. new year,new me.
It is just about backside length and am thinking just below shoulder length.
I do not know how to go about this,If I should just tell her I want it cut,go to a hairdressers by myself and get it cut or just do it myself and then show her.

I either want to cut it a lot,or maybe just cut it gradually,like 3 inches at a time so she doesnt notice too much haha
please help guys,getting desperate now.
x

DragonLady
June 17th, 2009, 05:37 AM
Sounds to me like a job for a pro. I would guess it would be best to tell your Mom you're ready, then either let her take you or go by yourself.

Edited to say: If you're not sure you want to go that short, then I'd certainly just have it cut a small amount at a time. That way, if you change your mind you haven't lost it all.

concrescence
June 17th, 2009, 05:42 AM
I'm a little confused as to why your mother's knowledge of your haircut matters at all. And why were you hiding the fact that you trim your own hair?

If you are starting college in September, it's time to start making your own decisions for your own reasons. If you have to hide your haircuts from your mom or have angst over her opinions on this topic, how are you going to decided what classes to take, when to go to bed, how to plan meals, which long distance phone plan to choose, which apartment to sign a lease on, how much alcohol to drink, whether or not to have sex and with whom, etc., etc.?

If you want to cut your hair, go ahead. I got a really big cut when I was your age, too, and didn't regret it at all. And, I didn't ask my mom about it. I just went out and did it, and I paid for it with my own money. She didn't think that was weird, and she liked the cut, too. Just remember that it will take years to grow it back to the length you have. And, if you are going to cut it to shoulders, I would go to a stylist, just so that it's all nice and even. If you're only cutting off a few inches, then perhaps you can do it yourself.

Good luck at college next year! I learned so much during that time of my life (mostly outside of the classroom), and I bet you will, too. :)

Gothic Lolita
June 17th, 2009, 05:44 AM
Doesn't sound weird at all to me, but I have the advantage that my mum cuts my hair (and only if i ask her to :) ).
I'd tell your mother that you'd like to cut it, maybe give her a hint or something and she'll probably offer to take you to the stylist anyway. I'd leave this cut cut for the professionals, but be very clear what yo would like. If you like it and can cut your own hair well, you could even maintain the shape.

Gertlush
June 17th, 2009, 07:29 PM
Heyy thankyou all for the advice!
I
cut 5 inches myself,some using Feye's method but used ordinairy scissors that everyone else uses as they are identical to the ones i used for trimming hair! I have noticed that this has given me even more split ends than I started with! Any ideas? And I would love to come straight out and tell my mum,but don't know how to go about it! And conc,I don't have to hide haircuts from my mum,I just simply don't know how to go about telling her that after 15 years of refusing to have my haircut and even trimmed that I want a big chop (:
Thankyou all again for you advice and would LOVE to hear your solutions to my above problem! x

Fractalsofhair
June 17th, 2009, 07:32 PM
Well, people do change! You can say that you're just bored with your hair and have been thinking about it. Otherwise, just get it cut when you're living in a dorm, then she won't find out till the holidays!

Anje
June 17th, 2009, 08:21 PM
When you cut your hair yourself, you really ought to use some dedicated hair cutting shears. When I say "dedicated", I mean that they shouldn't be used to cut anything but hair, and never should have cut anything else in the past. The main thing is to have them be really sharp, which will help prevent split ends; if you use normal household scissors, the relatively dull blades will shred the ends of the hair slightly, causing tiny splits that open up until your ends are full of them. That's what you observed, of course.
Hair cutting scissors don't have to be expensive. My first pair was a set of Goody ones from Walmart, for about $5. (I've since upgraded to a $20 pair from Sally Beauty Supply.)

About trimming and your mom -- I really don't know. I always tended to avoid going to the hairdresser's, myself, even when I wasn't growing my hair out. I suppose the first question is whether you want her to know beforehand, or if you want to surprise her. I don't think you need to ask her to schedule you an appointment or anything -- just announce that you've decided you're going to get your hair cut shorter, and arrange it yourself. Or just go do it, and surprise her.