View Full Version : Worked.Didn't work

Lile
June 17th, 2009, 03:52 AM
Vote please!
Just curious.
Also explanations are welcome!:-)

Calista
June 17th, 2009, 04:34 AM
Cassia and shampoo bars both work well for me. I have never tried soap nuts.

Unofficial_Rose
June 17th, 2009, 04:36 AM
Cassia is pretty good, especially followed up with an overnight oiling and shampooed the next day. It also cuts down on any overly red henna buildup I get from henndigoing. :thumbsup:

Thumbs down for shampoo bars, or indeed any soap-based washing, unfortunately. I've tried vinegar rinses, just end up with coated, gunky hair. I put it down to the hard water in this area. Hoping to have more luck with herbal washing.

Carolyn
June 17th, 2009, 04:51 AM
Cassia turned my hair green. I gave it 2 tries. I was not impressed in the least.

I tried CV shampoo bars and they were a dismal failure even with vinegar rinses. Soap based hair washing is not for me either. Aubrey Organics and Dr Bronners sucked big time too. It could be my water but I'm not going near soap based washing again no matter what.

patissegrietje
June 17th, 2009, 05:16 AM
Soapnuts worked for a little while, but after a few uses i got some sort of build-up.
Will try them again though, since they gave my hair incredible shine when they did work ;)

Cassia treatments leave my hair kind of strange; it becomes much fuller and a bit frizzy.
It always feels a bit damaged afterwards. :(

I have never tried soapbars, i'm now on a no conditioner just mild shampoo and ACV rinse test. Works great so far.

iris
June 17th, 2009, 06:06 AM
Cassia treatments make my hair incredibly dry and frizzy, and give a bit of brassy color that I don't like.

Shampoo bars (I tried a few from Chagrin Valley) made my hair more oily than it was before I washed it. And the soapy smell made me nauseous.

I haven't tried washing with soapnut liquid made from whole soapnuts; I have tried to wash with a tea made of aritha powder (same thing but dried and powdered), found that a bit drying.

Silver & Gold
June 17th, 2009, 06:48 AM
I've used all three. I don't prefer to use CV bars all the time because I have hard water so I have to follow with the vinegar or acid rinse. But they have a wonderful smell and lather. I also tend to prefer the regular soap bars to the ones made for hair because they are more conditioning. I don't need cleansing power as much as I need the conditioning.
Soapnut liquid also works fine for me. I don't use as strong a solution as Mely uses and I haven't bothered to add the lemon/lime juice. I just make a liquid using the method that you can find all over online for making soapnut liquid. I use the same liquid for laundry. I generally apply a couple ounces to my scalp with a haircolor applicator bottle, massage it in, let sit for a couple of minute and rinse. Sometimes I need to condition as well, other times not really. It's a good method for scalp only washing.
Cassia was no good for me. My hair turned bright yellow. I have a lot of silver hair coming in that I would like to leave natural and no matter what I did, cassia left color deposits on my hair.

Nightshade
June 17th, 2009, 07:29 AM
Of the options listed I've only used cassia, but I love it both on its own and blended with henna :)

AJoifulNoise
June 17th, 2009, 08:46 AM
Shampoo bars worked for me when I used them once a week in conjunction with CO on other days.

swirlytresses
June 17th, 2009, 08:51 AM
I have not tried any of the above mentioned except for shampoo bars. I also have hard water, but find I don't have any problems using the bars. I only do a vinegar rinse when I remember...not too often. All the various bars I have tried, I have liked. They all have worked for me, along with Dairy whip and whipped soap. :)

GlassEyes
June 17th, 2009, 08:55 AM
Shampoo bars were odd for me. They made my hair super shiny, but also stiff as heck. Not a keeper, though I might try them again in the future.

Cassia made my hair feel like hell. xD; I much prefer Henna, thank you.

LaurelSpring
June 17th, 2009, 09:02 AM
Im still undecided on all of these. My hair seems very fickle. One day it works fine another it doesnt, then I leave it alone for awhile and it works fine for awhile then it doesnt. :confused:

HoneyBeeMissy
June 17th, 2009, 01:39 PM
So far I like my shampoo bar, I've been using it for 2 months with good results. I shampoo once or twice a week and CO on other days.

mira-chan
June 17th, 2009, 03:11 PM
Soapnuts worked both in gravy form (I add arrowroot starch to thicken) and in powder form worked.

Cassia and henna worked.

Shampoo bars didn't work. It's the water here that's the problem.

Bene
June 17th, 2009, 07:52 PM
both cassia and shampoo bars worked for me, and i continue to use them. i found that my first attempts at them made my hair feel funny (dry, stiff, etc) until i got my technique worked out.

ChrissieM
June 17th, 2009, 08:50 PM
Cassia (mixed with henna) works great on my hair....it really prevents tangles for me. I tried CV shampoo bars....didn't like the waxies. I've tried Mehandi Shampoo bars too....no waxies, but nothing really special. The only shampoo bar I really like is from Lush, but I don't think that counts because it has sulfates in it.

rose_in_bloom
June 17th, 2009, 09:38 PM
Soapnuts worked well for a while. I think I just needed to alternate products instead of using them all the time. I've *almost* gotten shampoo bars to work, so I'm not giving up on them yet! :) Sweet Creek Herbs shampoo bars work best for me so far. I've never tried cassia.

lambhair
June 18th, 2009, 10:34 AM
I have used LUSH solid shampoo bars in the past and loved them. My favorite was the pink jasmine scented one which I cannot remember the name of right now (not enough coffee yet!). A few months ago I tried one of the newer ones that had cinnamon as main ingredient and that worked really well.
My hair always comes out nice, soft and shiny after using those particular ones and smells really nice for days afterwards.

rach
June 18th, 2009, 10:42 AM
i've only tried cassia out of this list, though henna seems to have a more long lasting affect compared to cassia.

mellie
June 19th, 2009, 06:53 AM
Soapnut foam washing works great for me, I've used it over 9 months now with great success.

Shampoo bars did not work for me.

I've never really tried cassia.

cobblersmaid
June 21st, 2009, 09:42 AM
Cassia treatments were great for my hair. I henna now, so I have stopped, but I think it helps more than henna does. Sadly it wears off in a few weeks. Shampoo bars did not work for me at all, and I have never tried soapnuts.

LilyMunster
June 21st, 2009, 10:41 AM
Tryed several shampoo bars, they so did not work for me. Even with balancing the ph, and using conditioner afterwards. I love them for bathing, just not shampoo.:)

Eden Iris
June 21st, 2009, 10:49 AM
Shampoo bars work for me, after a fashion. CV bars did not work. LUSH bars did not work. Camamu and Liggett's work great IF I follow with a vinegar rinse and do a clarifying wash every month or two to get rid of the buildup. I am planning to check Prairieland and also have been experimenting with various other bar soaps.

zen_oven
June 21st, 2009, 04:10 PM
I've only tried shampoo bars, but they worked! I'm curious about trying soapnuts--one of these days I will.

ReddishRocks
June 21st, 2009, 11:40 PM
Thumbs down for shampoo bars, or indeed any soap-based washing, unfortunately. I've tried vinegar rinses, just end up with coated, gunky hair. I put it down to the hard water in this area. Hoping to have more luck with herbal washing.
I had the same experience, and I suspect my hard water as well.

Cassia's on my to-try list... :D