PDA

View Full Version : Does your hair completely change texture in the summer?

ericthegreat
June 16th, 2009, 09:34 PM
I've heard of people who were born with curly locks as a child which then became straighter as they matured, and vice-versa. I've also heard of people being born blonde or having been blonde as a child and becoming dark haired when they matured. But do any of you actually experience a change in hair texture according to the season?

I certainly do! Every summer, my hair transforms from very straight and sleek to a big, puffy, thick mass of piecy waves. My ends which are always neatly brushed out all of a sudden clump together in these wavy rope like tendrils. Its fun but also kind of annoying. I love the occasional change to curly, but when it lasts for up to 3 months straight it can get frustrating when I do want my strands straight and they curl up on me! Oh and if the heat is too high say its 92 degrees, no matter even if I carefully blow out my hair section by section and flat iron it, after a few hours my hair waves up all on it own. :( Here is a picture diary of how my hair can change texture:

http://s329.photobucket.com/albums/l382/eric29-bucket/?action=view&current=Picture37.jpg
perfectly straight
http://s329.photobucket.com/albums/l382/eric29-bucket/?action=view&current=Picture35-1.jpg
getting wavier
http://s329.photobucket.com/albums/l382/eric29-bucket/?action=view&current=picture152.jpg
and wavier
http://s329.photobucket.com/albums/l382/eric29-bucket/?action=view&current=Picture30.jpg
Curls!

nancy33936
June 16th, 2009, 09:50 PM
when its real humid my hair gets bad.

RancheroTheBee
June 16th, 2009, 11:17 PM
That's kind of neat, actually. Maybe it's the humidity?

I have an easier time making my hair curl in the summer, now that the climate in my area has changed. Instead of turning into this puffy ball, it waves and curls very nicely.

The trade off is I have to wash it every day now. Blah.

ericthegreat
June 17th, 2009, 12:07 AM
Yeah I agree with both of you, heat and humidity really do have texture changing powers. I guess that's the trade off for carefree summer days.........your hair becomes a wild animal taking on a life of its own!

ericthegreat
June 17th, 2009, 12:12 AM
Oh and Ranchero, I am a super Saltgunner! I'm a Jensen lover tho, but Jared is cute and quirky in his own right. I'm so glad we've been renewed for a 5th season!!!!!

Lohari
June 17th, 2009, 01:05 AM
When I was a little child my hair turned dark brown in the winter and when summer was coming it started to become lighter again O: Then it started to look like... grayish in winters and now I donīt notice any change anymore... I liked the dark brown hair :<

Elphie
June 17th, 2009, 03:30 AM
I'm sure Brooklyn is just as damp and humid as LI is. Same thing happens to me.

Bene
June 17th, 2009, 03:35 AM
i'm with elphie on this. NYC is the 6th level of frizzy hell because of humidity. i've seen even pin straight hair get wavy.

GlassEyes
June 17th, 2009, 06:25 AM
Yep. Hairtype can change with humidity.

...makes me wonder what'd happen if I didn't live in New England...

noelgirl
June 17th, 2009, 06:29 AM
Yes! Mine is just a little bit wavy in the winter, but it gets big and kind of curly in the summer. More frizz-prone, too.

BlackfootHair
June 17th, 2009, 06:41 AM
Yes, when I lived on the East Coast and it rained almost every day my hair was curly curly. In winter, not so much. It's still curly, just not as defined. Now that I'm back in Iowa, we do get rain, but not as much. Although, this year has been pretty good. I haven't had to wash my car yet. :)

coolbreeze212
June 17th, 2009, 08:06 AM
My hair definitely becomes a "problem child" in the summer months. We have such high humidity where I live....and sometimes the mountains hold in weather systems, and it will just rain for days and days on end. Ugh!!

My hair goes from semi-sleek to frizzy, pouffy, crazy, etc etc. The fact that my hair texture is very fine adds to the problem...all the little baby hairs just seem to "float" around my head. (You can see an example of this in my sock bun pic in my profile.)

I've learned to accept it over the years, but that doesn't mean I like it.

rhubarbarin
June 17th, 2009, 08:23 AM
It's humidity with me. It's really humid here in the summer, so I get poofty extra-curly hair. It also happens in colder weather if it's rainy or humid. When it's dry my curls flatten out fairly quick and my hair lies down and stays pretty sleek.. I can even get nice smooth waves after a couple days. It's rarely dry here, unfortunately.

ericthegreat
June 17th, 2009, 10:17 AM
We should all form a summer frizzy hair crisis support group! Clearly this is a serious, annual challenge for the vast majority of us!

And Bene, its great to meet a fellow NYorker. And I agree we are one of the frizz capitals of the world especially this particular summer when we've been getting a thunderstorm everyday literally!

demitasse
June 17th, 2009, 10:27 AM
Definitely need a humidity support group. The humidity here in Maine just makes me dread going out in the morning. It can make my hair feel damp all day. Oiling and conditioning helps but usually a bun is my safe haven.

Curlsgirl
June 17th, 2009, 12:26 PM
My hair does change a little but mostly it's more curly in the summer and I really like it more then. In the winter, it's smoother I guess but more wavy than curly and relaxes faster. I used to love it in the winter when I straightened it because it would stay that way until I washed again. Now I can always use frizz fighters to keep the frizz down in the summer and still have great hair! Sorry, guess I won't join the club!:o

Speckla
June 17th, 2009, 04:18 PM
I have poofy, frizzy hair in the summer. I tend to use heavier cones (ssshh...I like FrizzEase) in the summer.