PDA

View Full Version : Split Ends! :(

Quixii
June 16th, 2009, 04:22 PM
Ugh.
So I used to not get very many split ends. Not sure why, but I just didn't seem to. Then I started getting them, just a couple, so I'd snip them off. Now, it seems the more I snip off, the more I see next time I look! I can't just trim off the bottom to get rid of split ends, because it seems that most of them are the medium-length strands. I've never bleached or straightened my hair, and only blow-dried it once in memory, so I don't know why it would suddenly start seeming so damaged. :(
Any advice? Any one else having this sort of problem?
Also, wurlies and curlies, how do you do a proper S&D? Half the time the split end is curling under the lump of other hairs curling over there and... yeah.

AnneAdeline
June 16th, 2009, 04:29 PM
Has your hair been this long before? It may just be that your hair is longer, and therefore the strands are older. I've been noticing a lot of splits lately, since my ends were once bleached.

I have straight hair, so can't help you on the curly front, but one method that you may be able to use is braiding your hair before S&D-ing. This helps me find the split ends better.

Quixii
June 16th, 2009, 04:33 PM
My hair has been about this length for a while, actually. ^^;

AnneAdeline
June 16th, 2009, 04:42 PM
Hmmm.

Are the scissors you use specifically for hair? If your hair scissors are too blunt, that could be the issue.

Have you changed your shampoo/conditioning routine lately? For example, when some people stop using shampoos/conditioners with "cones", they'll notice more splits. This is because the "cones" previously held the splits together. Could it be something like this?

Edit: Whoa I just looked at your hair in your album. Gorgeous! I love your curls.

Renbirde
June 16th, 2009, 04:43 PM
You could separate small strands (pencil sized) and twist them up. The ends of the short hairs will stick out away from the twist, which makes the splits easier to get at. You might want to try it just before you wash-- I imagine that breaking your curls up that many times might make things poofy afterward, but a shower fixes it. :)

Quixii
June 16th, 2009, 04:53 PM
@AnneAdeline - No, they're just regular scissors. (Oops!) How can you tell the difference between hair scissors and regular ones? (My mom has some scissors in the bathroom that I'm wondering if they're not the regular kind..) Or where would you get some?
Lately I've been frequently changing my shampoo and conditioner, trying to find one that makes my hair less frizzy and more of its natural curls. I do not believe I've switched to a no-cone, though. (Speaking of which, where do you find such a thing? Since I've joined this site I actually look at the ingredients list, but it seems everyone I look at has at least one thing that ends in -none or -cone.)
Thank you very much for the compliment! <3 I love your colour, by the way.

@Renbirde - Hmm. Sounds time consuming, but probably the best way to do it. Thanks!

jojo
June 16th, 2009, 06:57 PM
These scissors your mum has in the bathroom are they used for anything else? buy yourself a decent pair of scissors, hide them and forbid anybody to use them, use them only for cutting hair. Blunt scissors will cause more splits. I know because my husband was using mine for cutting his toenails in the bath gross eh? and I couldnt figure out why my hair was splitting (apart from it being very fine that is) and then I caught him red handed, to say I was mad is an under statement!

Dars
June 16th, 2009, 07:28 PM
These scissors your mum has in the bathroom are they used for anything else? buy yourself a decent pair of scissors, hide them and forbid anybody to use them, use them only for cutting hair. Blunt scissors will cause more splits. I know because my husband was using mine for cutting his toenails in the bath gross eh? and I couldnt figure out why my hair was splitting (apart from it being very fine that is) and then I caught him red handed, to say I was mad is an under statement!
Oh dear! :eek: My BF also reaches for my hair scissors but I promptly retrieve them and tell him he knows where the regular scissors are! Laziness, sheesh!

yogachic
June 16th, 2009, 07:31 PM
I had bought hair cuttting scissors, and I would catch members of my family using them for paper and such. I even went and bought a new one, but I still had tons of splits. The scissors the hairdresser used for my big cut, must be really good ones. I have no splits now, which is the only nice result I got from the cut.

Quixii
June 16th, 2009, 08:42 PM
I believe my mum uses hers for cutting her, uh, lip hair. :shudder: They're kinda little and look sharp.
If those won't work, where would I go about finding specialized scissors? Could I find them at Target? How can I tell if they're the right kind?

andrea1982
June 16th, 2009, 09:06 PM
You should be able to find some at target, or walmart, in the hair accessory isle. Mine are made by Goody, and they cost about $10.00. they seem to be quite sharp. You can get nicer ones from the beauty supply store..

Pierre
June 16th, 2009, 10:08 PM
Mine have an angle of about 45°. (0°, for scissors, means that the cutting edge is perpendicular to the faces that touch each other, and 90° is impossible. I think that's right.)

As to curlies, I take a hank of hair and let it splay around at random, then look through it for split ends, which could be anywhere in the mass of hair. When I find one I grasp it with the other hand, pull it to make sure I got the split, and feel for the place it starts getting rough. I snip it there.

Gingevere
June 16th, 2009, 10:27 PM
A nice informational site, complete with photos: http://splitends.bebto.com/illustrations.htm.

Renbirde
June 17th, 2009, 01:46 AM
Lately I've been frequently changing my shampoo and conditioner, trying to find one that makes my hair less frizzy and more of its natural curls. I do not believe I've switched to a no-cone, though. (Speaking of which, where do you find such a thing? Since I've joined this site I actually look at the ingredients list, but it seems everyone I look at has at least one thing that ends in -none or -cone.)
Look at the cheap brands. They work just as well and have fewer cones, usually. I'm using VO5 right now-- I got a giant bottle for $0.99, and it smells heavenly. I found it in the grocery store.

If you try to go cone-free, make sure you clarify first with an SLS shampoo (one that has sodium laureth sulfate, i.e. dish soap) to get rid of any cone buildup first. :)