PDA

View Full Version : What does your vitamin schedule look like?

bakertwins2004
June 16th, 2009, 08:21 AM
I am going to start taking them and would like to see what, when and with what drink are you all are taking them with.

I am trying figure out how to get them all in during my day and what I should take them with.

AmyJorgensen
June 16th, 2009, 08:25 AM
It sounds like you are going to be taking a lot? I just take a multivitamin in the morning with water. I expect the pill bottles will give you some input (such as take with 8 oz of water, etc).

bakertwins2004
June 16th, 2009, 08:27 AM
I am thinking a muti and then some supplements.

BTW I am from Indy myself.

Lady Godiva
June 16th, 2009, 08:29 AM
I don't take any vitamins, anymore, although I used to. Nowadays I eat a wide variety of food, try to keep them healthful (whole foods, with few additives), and I eat lots of protein. I focus on keeping me healthy, and hair health follows. :)

bakertwins2004
June 16th, 2009, 08:32 AM
yeah i am working on my overall health as well. I am throwing in some work outs and doing food journals. I basically am using my goal of beautiful hair as a good reason to get all of me in good shape.

Queenie
June 16th, 2009, 08:52 AM
I take a multivitamin and a hair-skin-nails supplement with some water, whenever I remember to take it.
Which is about once a week, tops :lol:

demitasse
June 16th, 2009, 08:54 AM
I take a multivitamin and a garlic supplement in the evening after dinner. I've been taking the garlic for so long that I don't remember what it's even for. I think my mother recommended it to me a few years ago. Hopefully it's not for memory because it's clearly not working. :)

Get the rest of my vitamins from lots of fresh veggies and fruits and other good things. I wouldn't take too many vitamins without checking with a doctor first.

Madame J
June 16th, 2009, 09:07 AM
I take a food-derived multi-vite in the morning along with a turmeric supplement. I just wash them down with either my breakfast smoothie (raw almonds, water, berries, agave, and spinach) or else with a bit of water if I've already finished my smoothie. I take another turmeric supplement at night with dinner. The turmeric is for my acne and is supposed to support liver function, and says to take it with food. The multi says is doesn't need to be taken with food, but I do anyway.

MsBubbles
June 16th, 2009, 09:32 AM
8am/whenever I roll outta bed: Thyroid hormone (must be on empty stomach)

12 noon: Calcium + D, Zinc

4pm: Iron & vit c

8pm: sublingual multi B's.

No I don't keep to my schedule and many days I forget to take any at all, including the thyroid :rolleyes:

If anybody sees any glaringly incorrect combinations, please do let me know!

redneckprincess
June 16th, 2009, 09:32 AM
I take my bladder med. first thing in the AM when I wake up along with a prenatel vitimin. a few hours later I take my gelitan tablets and 3 hours after that I take my first dose of biotin (depending on what the mcg per tablet are...) throughout the rest of the day take more biotin and the last one equaling 10,000mcg (per day) within an hour before bed....all taken with water.
**what I have learned**
*do not take biotin within 3 hours of other pills or they {the biotin} may not let the other pills absorb as well as there supposed to.
*do not eat raw egg whites while taking biotin the raw egg whites will lessen the absorbtion of the biotin.
* I personally spread out my dose of biotin throughout the day because I have a bladder condition called interstitial cystitis (IC for short) which makes me urinate quite frequently and since biotin is water saulibul and excreted in urine I want to make sure im getting what i take

SimplyViki
June 16th, 2009, 12:22 PM
Oh jeez. LOL. Wanna know what my vitamin schedule looks like?
Well, I guess if you averaged it out, I remember to take a vitamin or something just about quarterly. Seriously. Like once every three months or something. Which is seriously useless and I might as well not even bother since I can't make myself take one daily.

OhioLisa
June 16th, 2009, 12:44 PM
I don't take any vitamins, anymore, although I used to. Nowadays I eat a wide variety of food, try to keep them healthful (whole foods, with few additives), and I eat lots of protein. I focus on keeping me healthy, and hair health follows. :)

Exactly! I think if you do this, there really isn't a need for a bunch of supplements. Just my opinion.

Ryanne
June 16th, 2009, 12:52 PM
I take a multivitamin, hair-skin-nails supplement, Iron and Biergist (I'm at loss what the last one is in english) almost daily.

MsBubbles
June 16th, 2009, 12:53 PM
Exactly! I think if you do this, there really isn't a need for a bunch of supplements. Just my opinion.

I used to believe this but iron is just one of those things I can't seem to get enough from just food. There are others who can't get B12 from food too.

fishwich
June 16th, 2009, 01:53 PM
I take a handful of vitamins most mornings, but sometimes I forget. Multi, salmon oil, biotin, 2 calcium. I don't fuss about what drink I take them with--sometimes water, sometimes milk or coffee or tea or lemonade, and occasionally when I take them in the evening it's wine. :D

I'm not really convinced it does much good or changes anything, other than the calcium. My hair certainly doesn't seem to give a damn. But eh, I figure I got 'em, I might as well take 'em.

Bianca
June 16th, 2009, 02:05 PM
One multivitamin pill with water (almost) every morning :D

HappyHair87
June 16th, 2009, 02:47 PM
I take 2 women's one-a-days like every other night.

Canarygirl
June 16th, 2009, 03:02 PM
With dinner:

I take 1 multivitamin (NSI brand Synergy v3)
2 DHA caps (active ingredient in fish oil)
1 ToCo cap (vit e/CoQ10)

First thing in the morning:

1-2 caps Indol-Carbinol3 (active ingredient in cruciferous veggies)

:)

Queenie
June 16th, 2009, 03:30 PM
Biergist (I'm at loss what the last one is in english)Brewer's yeast :thumbsup:

Beatnik Guy
June 16th, 2009, 03:44 PM
Multivit (Holland & Barrett SuperOne), MSM and horsetail silica capsules. Usually all gulped down at once.

Zindell
June 17th, 2009, 01:31 AM
I pretty much stopped taking vitamins, since I learned that as a pill they won't do you much good anyway. When eating varied foods you get so much more... vitamins and minerals that are balanced to each other and loads of micronutrients that you won't get from a pill.

The only exception is that I take a very strong dose of vitamin D3 every day during the winter months, due to lack of sun here in Sweden. Before I started taking them I used to get tired the whole winter.

Thank goodness we get a lot of sun during the spring and summer! At least here in the southern parts of Sweden. :flower:

gmdiaz
June 17th, 2009, 03:29 AM
In the morning:

Evening Primrose
Horsetail Silica
Beta Carotene
Nutricap (hair vitamins)
Flax Oil
1 tsp Kalonji oil

Lunch time:
Biotin

Evening:
Cal-Mag Citrate with Vit D
Evening Primrose
Horsetail Silica
1 tsp Kalonji oil

I plan to add to this, a multi-vitamin, MSN and iron.

Since I've been taking these, which is really only for about three weeks on most of them, I've noticed my skin looks a whole lot better.

I think the ones that I notice helping my skin the most are the Evening Primrose, Silica and the Kalonji oil.

My fingernails have really good color and are growing a lot stronger. I am starting out with totally flimsy nails and am seeing a huge difference with the combo of silica and biotin.

Too early to tell about how these are effecting my hair condition and growth.

bttrfly857
June 17th, 2009, 05:21 AM
I try for every morning, but it's more like 4-5 times a week. I take:

Fish Oil (EPA)
CoQ10
Vitamin D
Tri-B Complex
MultiVitamin

I had some blood work done in the beginning of the year and was low on a few things, and have high triglycerides, so this is what I take. I've been working on improving my diet and losing weight, but I figure supplementing till I get it all worked out won't hurt.

Saisaisayonara
June 17th, 2009, 06:30 AM
I just take multi vitamins although I don't think they do much good. I would like to take more specific vitamins I just don't know where to start!

Ryanne
June 17th, 2009, 09:07 AM
Brewer's yeast :thumbsup:
Thank you, Queenie!

Aries_jb
June 17th, 2009, 10:40 AM
In the evening I take the following, always after a meal:

Multi
Biotin
MSM
Fish oil

I know I should get most of this stuff from my diet, but if the fact that I take these with Coke Zero is any indication....lol.

I didn't know that about the Biotin though, so I think I'll start taking that at a different time than my other pills. See if I notice a difference.

Debra83
June 19th, 2009, 08:58 AM
I take a ton, all in the morning, with a cup of tea before I go to work. (on an empty stomach). Works for me.

FullMoonTrim
June 19th, 2009, 09:03 AM
I am going to start taking them and would like to see what, when and with what drink are you all are taking them with.

I am trying figure out how to get them all in during my day and what I should take them with.

Let me repost my answer. I thought you were asking when to take vitamins. I did hear it's best with food for vitamins and away from food for herbs.
My personal routine is nothing to brag about and is very inconsistent at this point.
I take either Triphala or Gaia's Skin & nails (also helps hair) every night before I go to bed.
I will also take a Biotin at that time because it's the only time I remember to.

I drink Green Smoothies every day and that has acted like a vitamin for me. The simple recipe is this 60% dark leafy greens/ 40% ripe fruit and a few cups of water- in the blender!
I am also trying to remember to take an EFA formula, I have fish oil and Udo's Choice omega and I alternate.

Deimos
June 19th, 2009, 01:39 PM
I take special vegetarian tablets (designed for non-meat/non-fish eaters) which is stuffed with B-vitamins. Although I usually eat healthy I found that I felt better with taking some extra vitamines. For a month I'm also taking a special skin/nail/hair vitamin cocktail to see if I can boost my growth a bit ^^ (I think it is working)

rose_in_bloom
June 19th, 2009, 01:53 PM
In the morning: I take a multi-vitamin, and 2 tablets of Ultra Hair Plus (by Nature's Plus).

In the evening: The other half of the multi-vitamin dose, sometimes I take spirulina and evening primrose oil.

Melisande
June 19th, 2009, 02:00 PM
I have a pill box that I fill weekly. It has compartments for morning, noon, evening, night.

Morning: regular meds, 1 fish oil, menopause herb mix
Noon: multi vitamin (Centrum performance), MSM, St. John's Wort
Evening: MSM, celadrin, primrose oil
Night: fish oil, calcium-magnesium-zinc, menopause herb mix, biotin

I feel much much better since I began taking the supplements. I have been taking them regularly since October. I keep the box on a shelf next to my bathroom door, with a fresh water bottle. Whenever I come from the toilet, I take another pill ;-) Thus, I spread them over the day. It's easy and enjoyable because it means I get to drink at least 1.5 l of water just coming from the toilet....

The pill box' daily compartments can be taken out and carried to work. I think I will continue this regimen until further notice; it's extremely beneficial for me. Not only for my hair!

horseprincess
June 19th, 2009, 05:35 PM
I take melaleuca vitamins, its a all natural type company my Dad is a distrubuter for. I take one packet in the morning and one at night. :)

Teacherbear
June 19th, 2009, 05:42 PM
I only take a multi vitamin, with water. I usually take it in the evening, with dinner.

ChrissieM
June 19th, 2009, 07:43 PM
I take a multi at night with water and an essential fatty acids capsule in the morning with breakfast. I'd like to start hair vitamins, too...I'll probably take that midday to spread things out.

82exoticbeauty
July 25th, 2009, 01:35 AM
I'm taking on a brand name called Spring Valley vitamins that I got at Wal-mart except one vitamin! So I take Kirkland Signature Premium Performance Multivitamin and Spring Valley Omega 3 Fish Oil 1000 mg for breakfast!

Then in the afternoon I take Same Spring Valley Omega 3 Fish Oil 1000 mg together with MSM of 1000 mg!

At dinner time; Spring Valley MSM 1000 mg, Spring Valley Hair, Skin, & Nails-biotin/collagen/Gelatin (I take 3 tablets at night with that vitamin), 2 tablets of Spring Valley Biotin 1000 mg (I actually have 5000 mg biotin since the Hair, Skin, & Nails have included 3000 mg-that adds up to 5000 mg on my biotin intake)
I do not have any skin problems, headaches, or any other problems, I seem A-Okay! It made my hair grow '1 inch growth' a month, sometimes 1 inch 1/2!:D

liz08
April 27th, 2010, 02:03 PM
I definitely take a few vitamins and supplements on a daily basis, and I do notice that I feel better when taking them. Not only that, but I know that they help fill any voids in my diet. I typically take a good quality multivitamin, a probiotic, fish oil, and a liquid cal-mag-zinc supplement. With the cal-mag supplement, I always make sure that it has vitamin D included in it as well, as that helps with the calcium absorption. I take them all together in the morning, as this seems to be the only time I can remember to actually take them.

Cirafly24
April 27th, 2010, 02:17 PM
First thing in the morning, I chew a Flintstone's Complete vitamin :) At dinner time, I take 1000mcg of biotin, 2400mg fish oil, and 2000mg MSM with whatever I'm drinking, usually diet soda. Sometimes I put a tablespoon of DE in there, but not in the last few weeks. Finally, I take my migraine medication before bed.

dropinthebucket
April 27th, 2010, 03:16 PM
I do take vitamins, even though old-time naturalists/herbalists like Susun Weed always advised against it, because our food is no longer as healthy as it used to be, and Monsanto's control over the seed system has meant that GMOs are the standard, not the exception. (hope I don't get us sued by mentioning their name! :)

Also, it's true I'd rather not subsidize the vitamin companies at the expense of farmers growing real, non-GMOd food, but with our climate, the farmers' market is only available in the summer. So - I take: a multivitamin; a garlic capsule (recommended by herbalists everywhere as the best all-round health booster you can get); a multi-B; a calcium (female, over 40, osteoarthritis in the family); and MSM (arthritis, and hair growth!!). I just take 'em all with one glass of juice at dinner, or sometimes, with my own herbal blend tea (a blend I make for over-40 hormonal balance but with no phytoestrogens).

Arctic_Mama
April 27th, 2010, 03:34 PM
Well let's see, I keep it as simple as I can while addressing my skin issues.

I only take my vitamins in the morning, with water, right before I eat breakfast (I just keep them on my bathroom counter so i remember to take them when I am getting ready).

3 fish oil caplets
1 vitamin d tablet
1 b vitamin complex
2 tablets of maxi hair

It sounds like a lot but it is really not - just enough to deal with inflammation and acne, and I use my maxi hair as my prenatal supplement (it has enough folic acid and a good variety of everything else). My vitamin d tablet is simply there because I live in Alaska and become very deficient throughout the year.

Simple :)

MOOBUG
April 27th, 2010, 05:10 PM
I take a multi Vitamin and iron supplement (im vegie)
Later in the day i have a combonation of evening primrose and Flax seed. I find when ever I stop taking these my eczema comes back in force.

Also, my naturopath told me once that you shouldnt take your muti at the same time as any oil supplements as the oil can limit the absorption, especially of iron apparently, so its best to sread them out through the day.

Oh, and I have spirilina (spelling?) powder and cinnamon in berry smoothies. keeps colds at bay

LunarAurora
April 27th, 2010, 05:54 PM
I take 1 multi and 1600mcg MSM after my 1st lunch of the day
After dinner I take another multi and 800mcg MSM

Some days I also take Evening Primerose Oil, St John Wort...
I try to take biotin every 2 days (il makes me break out if I take it daily)

LoversLullaby
April 27th, 2010, 06:44 PM
I take my antidepressant every morning after I eat breakfast, and take a woman's multivitamin everyday after dinner.

Bast
April 27th, 2010, 08:04 PM
My grand totals: Biotin 5000 mcg, 1 multi, 3000-4000 mg of MSM (depending on a variety of circumstances), 1000 - 1500 mg of silica (if I remember it all), plus fiber.

Starting about two hours after I take my prescription meds - I really, really don't want anything to interfere with antibiotics and painkillers - they'll all be spread out throughout the day with the last doses at dinnertime.

My amount of MSM varies because it's helping me get off my antidepressant and it also helps regulate my moods slightly. I'm still trying to figure out the "ideal" amount for me.

cmcwell
April 27th, 2010, 08:16 PM
I take everything with 1/4 teaspoon of MSM dissolved in 8 oz filtered water. I like the 3x/day hair/nail and fish oil, feel like a little bit more often is better than everything all at once.

Breakfast: Hair/Nail Multi + 1000 mg Biotin + 300 mg Fish Oil

Lunch: Hair/Nail Multi + 300 mg Fish Oil

Dinner: Hair/Nail Multi + 300 mg Fish Oil

Keildra
April 29th, 2010, 08:26 PM
I take a prenatal vitamin in the evening one thing I learned the hard way was to drink a whole glass of water with it and to sit up for 30 minutes after you take a vitamin or the pill can get stuck in your esophagus and cause an ulcer, that was one the worst experiences I have had.

alwayssmiling
April 30th, 2010, 04:13 AM
I take 2000mg biotin, Evening primrose, Skin hair an nails, for approximately 2 months. Not noticed any difference in hair growth.

I measured my hair this morning and I've grown the usual 1/2 " :(.

My nails are slightly stronger and my skin is good at the moment. Though I have also discovered the wonders of Shea butter - so who knows. :rolleyes:

Beatrice
May 23rd, 2010, 08:15 PM
I take my bladder med. first thing in the AM when I wake up along with a prenatel vitimin. a few hours later I take my gelitan tablets and 3 hours after that I take my first dose of biotin (depending on what the mcg per tablet are...) throughout the rest of the day take more biotin and the last one equaling 10,000mcg (per day) within an hour before bed....all taken with water.
**what I have learned**
*do not take biotin within 3 hours of other pills or they {the biotin} may not let the other pills absorb as well as there supposed to.
*do not eat raw egg whites while taking biotin the raw egg whites will lessen the absorbtion of the biotin.
* I personally spread out my dose of biotin throughout the day because I have a bladder condition called interstitial cystitis (IC for short) which makes me urinate quite frequently and since biotin is water saulibul and excreted in urine I want to make sure im getting what i take

I'm so sorry you have to deal with IC--I feel your pain, literally. Since my diagnosis about a month ago (potassium sensitivity test--yeeouch!!!), I've laid off the vitamins, except for calcium, which is supposed to improve IC symptoms.

I've just added the Nature's Bounty Hair, Skin, and Nails formula, and I plan to start Evening Primrose tomorrow. I'm hoping the Nature's Bounty won't cause any trouble, since it's a fairly low-dose tablet. I'm starting at 1 pill per day, and plan to move up slowly.

Charlotte:)
May 26th, 2010, 04:52 PM
Eating a variety of fruits and vegetables is a lot healthier than taking vitamins. When you eat whole foods, your body absorbs the nutrients that you need. By popping in pills, you are actually in danger of getting too much of a vitamin.

IcarusBride
May 26th, 2010, 10:09 PM
I take(daily):
500mg Silica (horsetail)
2mg Biotin
1 CVS-Brand Multi-Vitamin
I take it whenever I remember, usually with juice or soda because the multi-vitamin tastes like sulfur and if I take it with water I gag. I don't usually take it with food.

Learning_Mum
May 26th, 2010, 10:18 PM
I take alot! My diet is bad (I know I need to work on that!) alot of the supplements I take are for depression.

I take a Womens Multi, EPO, Omegas, Acidophillius, Iron, Exectutive B, and Calcium and Magnesium at night (which is supposed to help with sleep). I just take them all in the morning with a big glass of water after I've eaten something. I have taken them at night before I go to bed too if I've forgotten to take them in the morning.

FullMoonTrim
May 26th, 2010, 10:42 PM
I completely agree that whole foods are the way to go!! Whole foods and ideally organic foods grown in your own garden! :)

If you can't get what you need from the food you buy, some supplements can really help to fill in the gaps. But they certainly don't take the place of real food.

emma907
May 26th, 2010, 11:26 PM
I've never taken any form of vitamin or suppliment, they are only useful if one is deficient in them.

I have read articles that say too much vitamins can cause liver and kidney issues, thought it was very interesting. :)

Qadupae
May 27th, 2010, 01:20 AM
I take quite a few vits since I work nights and don't always have the best eating schedule, otherwise I would be into healthy foods only with a minor mutlivit. For now, this is what I do:

Hair, Skin, and Nails Multivit: 2x per day with food, one at waking and one at my "lunch"

MSM and Gluco: 1x per day with food at waking(they recommend 2x and I might start that soon due to joint pain)

Fish Oil: 1x per day with food at waking

D-3 (2,000 UI): 1x per day with food at waking. Seems like a lot of D, but I am night shift and don't see a lot of sun or eat a lot of natural D sources.

Gulbahar
May 27th, 2010, 02:40 AM
A few weeks ago I started to take vitamin B complex and after a while I noticed that I shed about two thirds less than before. :bounce: which is really cool. I'll see if this continues.

beachlover
May 27th, 2010, 09:11 AM
I take a daily multi-vitamin and I just started taking Hair Skin and Nail Vitamins from Target, it says to take 1 tablet 3 x's a day with a meal. Will let you know if I see any results.

alabaster
May 27th, 2010, 09:14 AM
I just take a pre-natal vitamin with my breakfast in the morning . I try not rely too much on supplements for nutrition and instead just eat more fruits, veggies, and protein.

beachlover
May 27th, 2010, 09:55 AM
I just take them with meals and try to avoid caffeine. I've also been trying to add more blueberries, eggs, spinach, yogurt and beans to my diet along with the supplements.

McFearless
May 28th, 2010, 09:10 PM
If you're looking to take vitamins for growth I'd stick with a multi and 5,000 mcg of Biotin. Whats what I'm doing and it works for me
:)

Barniie
May 28th, 2010, 09:33 PM
I take two different hair skin and nails tablets in the morning after brekky (with water). Also i take a teenage multivitamin (im skinny :)

Emerson
May 29th, 2010, 07:23 PM
Just a multi vitamin (when I remember it) :)

lhangel9
May 29th, 2010, 08:40 PM
AM: Multi, MSM, Silica, Biotin, Protein Shake
Afternoon: Multi, MSM, Silica, Biotin
PM: MSM, Biotin