PDA

View Full Version : 10 Years Younger jumps on the band wagon rant

liseling
June 16th, 2009, 08:12 AM
Apparently 10 Years Younger is one of those makeover shows that doesnt believe that you can look young and fashionable with long hair. Watching this show made me so mad!

This poor woman had beautiful hip length, thick hair. It was smooth and straight and her braid was about as thick as a large wrist. It was amazingly eye-catching, to say the least, and one of the first things the host said was that they were going to cut it, which by her face you could tell made her very nervous.

When it came time for the stylist to actually cut it she was crying before she even got into the chair, and by the time the girl started chopping the poor thing was out and out sobbing! It was so sad to watch! To make matters worse, one of the ways they convinced her to allow them to cut it was by telling her that the hair would be given to Locks of Love! :hatchet:
Even though at the end of the show she said she was ok with it, the thing that she kept mentioning was not that she liked the way it looked but that she was happy that she was helping children through Locks of Love.

I dont know why tv shows still do this! Is it because of the social meme that long hair is only for the young, regardless of how old the person actually looks with long hair? You would think that these tv shows would then encourage long hair if it's a symbol of youth...

Or is it more like if you look old you have to cut your hair because society thinks you shouldnt have long hair unless you're young, and you cant look good if your hair is sending "conflicting" messages?

I dont know what it is, but it really irritates me. It's annoying enough when you see this myth routinely being perpetuated all over the media every day, but when you see it done in situations where the person is obviously being traumatized for the sake of making her more "socially acceptable" for the entertainment of others it's just terrible!
:angry:

bakertwins2004
June 16th, 2009, 08:17 AM
I didn't see the show. I do think some people look nicer with shorter hair. BUT if she felt better with it long then I think they should have left her be. I love my hair longer with shorter layer around my face. I think they should have kept made a effort to give her both a uplift and keep the long hair.

Heavenly Locks
June 16th, 2009, 08:20 AM
They want to make a drastic change for TV, cutting off a lovely long braid is a heck of a drastic change. :(

Themyst
June 16th, 2009, 08:27 AM
I don't know how those shows work - do the participants get money or something if they follow through with it? I would imagine that could be the case if her original reaction was fear and reluctance. How sad.

!:steam #@!!! media!!!

liseling
June 16th, 2009, 08:29 AM
I definitely think they should have tried to give her the uplift without chopping her hair - the minute they saw how much she loved her hair they should have forgotten about amputating it.

I also agree that a big motivation to cut hair in these shows is to get a dramatic change. I think hair is a big part of a first impression. It's always struck me as odd that when they cut hair in these makeover shows the haircut the person always ends up with is always within a certain length range and always within a certain texture range - they all look pretty much the same, in other words. It's like conformity equates to beauty in their book.

JamieLeigh
June 16th, 2009, 08:51 AM
It's ridiculous how popular it's become to use hair cutting as an entertainment form. They know that nobody will watch the show unless there's major drama - and what could be more dramatic than a huge haircut? :rolleyes: I'm sorry for that poor woman, if she was truly unhappy. We seem to have a problem with sticking up for ourselves nowadays. :(

Tap Dancer
June 16th, 2009, 08:53 AM
Is it still on the air? I thought it was canceled in 2007 or 2008, but I could be wrong.

Fifty-Five
June 16th, 2009, 09:12 AM
Maury Pauvich is another show that does it. >< Although, most of the time the women say they're ready for the change, often times, they're brought on the show by a relative, boyfriend, husband or someone, and it's pretty much 'Get rid of your hair, or get rid of me' ...

America's Next Top Model is another example =/

VioletFire
June 16th, 2009, 09:44 AM
I remember while watching What Not to Wear, every time they had a woman on the show they cut her hair off. A lot of those women would have had beautiful hair if it was just trimmed a bit, not the huge chunks cut off.
I agree with what someone above said about the conformity. There's a very clear line of what is popular(eg acceptable) and what is not. These shows it seems try to make everyone come down on the same side of that line so that they can 'fit in'.

Personally...hoorah for individuals. :cheese:

DarkChocolate
June 16th, 2009, 10:23 AM
This seems to happen on every makeover show!!

I will not let "social norms" dictate how I will wear my hair.

I also hate it when people say "Its hair, it will grow back". Yeah of course it will but it will take a long time.

There are ways to drape hair and different hairstyles that give a more youthful vibe. Why don't the stylists pipe up and do these things instead of cutting the beautiful hair.

liseling
June 16th, 2009, 10:23 AM
Is it still on the air? I thought it was canceled in 2007 or 2008, but I could be wrong.

I saw it today - maybe it was a re-run or something

Bene
June 16th, 2009, 10:32 AM
does anyone on these shows ever stand up to them and insist on keeping their hair?

Torrin Paige
June 16th, 2009, 10:46 AM
This seems to happen on every makeover show!!

*snip*

There are ways to drape hair and different hairstyles that give a more youthful vibe. Why don't the stylists pipe up and do these things instead of cutting the beautiful hair.

Exactly! Think of all the hairstyles one can do with a good amount of length. Yet these shows perpetrate the myth that gals with long hair only ever wear it the same way every single day. That's just not so. After watching Shear Genius last year, I realized why they always go for the big chop.

The stylists had a mini challenge and all of these ladies were standing there with buns...they took the buns down and had hair varying from mid back to floor length. The stylists got that insane gleam in their eyes (yay, bobs all around!) but then they were told that their challenge was to create an up-do with no cutting in two hours. Two hours! Only two of the stylists came up with anything interesting. They apparently aren't teaching styling in salon school anymore. I can come up with a more interesting hair-do in 20 minutes than these people could in two hours. I was kind of appalled...but happy that they had to deal with the hair instead of whacking it all off as these shows are prone to do.

flaming bunny
June 16th, 2009, 10:53 AM
I saw this!! The "stylist" had short blue hair? I couldn't believe they guilted her into cutting-I was outraged by the whole locks of love thing. If only that poor woman knew.... but it wasn't as if they really took enough off to make a decent wig-aren't quite a few inches lost when constructing those things? Whatever, it was horrible. The woman was so upset :sad

liseling
Maury Pauvich is another show that does it. >< Although, most of the time the women say they're ready for the change, often times, they're brought on the show by a relative, boyfriend, husband or someone, and it's pretty much 'Get rid of your hair, or get rid of me' ...

I think I've seen a Maury Povich with hair cutting (I think they do that on a lot of day time talk shows). I'm always disgusted with how the audience screams "EEEEEWWWWW" when they show pictures of the long hair before the cut while s/he is being introduced.
It always makes me wonder if that many people out of a room of 500 (or however many) really think that hair that is x number of inches longer than "normal" is so disgusting or whether they're just going along with everyone around them. The sad thing is that tv shows give people what they think they want to see, and the makeover shows rely on making people look the way that viewers like, otherwise they wouldnt watch the show.
I just dont know whether viewers really feel this way about long hair, or whether they just change their "no opinion" or "sort-of like it" to "it's gross" because they're afraid that they wont fit in with the socially accepted attitude toward long hair.

Wavelength
It's a combination of looking for TV drama to increase ratings and encouraging people to spend money on their sponsors. If you have to spend loads of money to achieve "that youthful look" (i.e. regular hairstyles, tons of product, lots of makeup, facelifts, etc.), then the beauty industry corporations who sponsor the TV show are all for it. But if you have someone on the show with beautiful long hair that obviously didn't pay a wad of money for it, then she's "pathetic" and "trying to hold onto her youth" and "needs an updated look".

Translation: You didn't spend enough money to keep up that hairstyle, so in order to satisfy our corporate sponsors we'll have to humiliate you, chop it off and substitute it with a style that WILL require you to spend money on upkeep.

Gotta make sure the corporate sponsors stay in business, y'know... and that the TV ratings are high. :rolleyes:

does anyone on these shows ever stand up to them and insist on keeping their hair?

There was one woman who did, and she even was a member here for a little while. I think she was on What Not to Wear and just flat refused to have her hair cut. The hairstyling host threw a hissy fit but she got to keep her hair. I don't remember what her name was though, but we all congratulated her.

So yes, the good news is that sometimes people DO stand up for their hair on these shows! :happydance:

liseling
June 16th, 2009, 11:00 AM
I saw this!! The "stylist" had short blue hair? I couldn't believe they guilted her into cutting-I was outraged by the whole locks of love thing. If only that poor woman knew.... but it wasn't as if they really took enough off to make a decent wig-aren't quite a few inches lost when constructing those things? Whatever, it was horrible. The woman was so upset :sad

Yes! her hair WAS short and blue - it must be the same show that you saw. The expression on that poor woman's face while her hair was being chopped off made me soooo sad - she looked like a little girl who was being tor*tured or punished or something! Poor thing!

HoneyBeeMissy
June 16th, 2009, 11:04 AM
This is irritates me too when watching makeover shows. If a stylist is truly creative he or she would be able to help the client come up with some new current hairstyles and teach them how to do it themselves at home.

Copasetic
June 16th, 2009, 11:06 AM
This really does happen on every makeover show! One time on "What Not to Wear", Nick (the hair stylist) told the girl getting the makeover that long hair was ok, but that it should NEVER be longer than BSL. And yesterday on Oprah they had some makeovers, and the hairstylist said something like, "If the number of years you have had long hair is equal to your waist size in inches, you have to cut it. And not a trim, a drastic cut." What a ridiculous arbitrary rule!

Tap Dancer
June 16th, 2009, 11:08 AM
A makeover show would be fun...for the clothes and makeup. But hair is such a personal thing. I could never just give someone freedom to do what they wanted to me. Who cares if it's what they like? They'll never see me again after I'm gone and I'll be the one looking in the mirror for months while it grows out. If "it's just hair and it will grow back," why cut it in the first place? It doesn't make sense to cut hair just to let it grow back unless it's damaged or you're removing layers/bangs.

liseling
June 16th, 2009, 11:13 AM
This really does happen on every makeover show! One time on "What Not to Wear", Nick (the hair stylist) told the girl getting the makeover that long hair was ok, but that it should NEVER be longer than BSL. And yesterday on Oprah they had some makeovers, and the hairstylist said something like, "If the number of years you have had long hair is equal to your waist size in inches, you have to cut it. And not a trim, a drastic cut." What a ridiculous arbitrary rule!

Hehe - I guess I have quite a while to go then before I "have to" cut my hair :toast:

Unofficial_Rose
June 16th, 2009, 11:13 AM

Niiiiiceee! Anyone who says that should be sent packing, IMO. Actually I remember one restyled woman whose partner was vile about her in the "before" stage. It wasn't as if he was an oil painting himself. They split up once she got her self-esteem back. Ha!

Most people's partners on these shows seem to love them whatever they look like, thank goodness.

I don't get how they spend thousands making someone's face and wardrobe look youthful and fashionable to then top it off with Old Lady Hair. :confused: I remember one lady with beautiful APL thick dark hair, which I hoped they wouldn't mess with. Sure enough, it was streaked and frosted and barrell-curled to within an inch of its life. :rolleyes: She seemed to like it, though, so I suppose that's what matters.

swanns
June 16th, 2009, 11:14 AM

On America's Next Top Model (which really isn't a make-over show, but they do have a make-over each season so I think it counts, and I'm an ANTM expert lol) some of the girls have tried which has resulted in them being yelled at and they have had to just let them cut their hair in the end. I remember this one girl who had BSL-ish dark-brown hair, they bleached it and cut it to a long-ish pixie, then would've wanted to go even shorter but she disagreed so she was disqualified :rolleyes: Another girl had hair down to her bum and it was cut to a bit below her shoulders, and well, obviously she was bawling her eyes out, and another girl (who got to keep her hair for goodness sake!) goes 'I don't get why all these girls are crying, it's just hair!"

10 Years Younger is just awful anyway, the clothes they give to those poor people are not nice at all 99&#37; of the time.

I've been watching clips from these talk show type of programmes on Youtube lately, you know, the kind where a woman with hair at least past waist walks in and they all go ooh and aah over it and she keeps telling how washing it takes X hours and how she always has to put it on her lap when she sits (as if a person with hair that long had never heard of an updo?) and crap, and then they cut it off really violently like. Argh!

swanns
June 16th, 2009, 11:19 AM

Hahaha, I just measured my waist today and was like, well I'm going to be able to have long hair till I die by that rule, then realized my tape measure has centimetres. Oh well :D

mtstorm
June 16th, 2009, 11:20 AM

I saw one on What Not to Wear. The hosts were snippy about it and they had both the makeup artist and stylist trying to talk her into cutting her hair but she didn't, all she got was a trim.

janeytilllie
June 16th, 2009, 11:22 AM
Exactly! Think of all the hairstyles one can do with a good amount of length. Yet these shows perpetrate the myth that gals with long hair only ever wear it the same way every single day. That's just not so. After watching Shear Genius last year, I realized why they always go for the big chop.

The stylists had a mini challenge and all of these ladies were standing there with buns...they took the buns down and had hair varying from mid back to floor length. The stylists got that insane gleam in their eyes (yay, bobs all around!) but then they were told that their challenge was to create an up-do with no cutting in two hours. Two hours! Only two of the stylists came up with anything interesting. They apparently aren't teaching styling in salon school anymore. I can come up with a more interesting hair-do in 20 minutes than these people could in two hours. I was kind of appalled...but happy that they had to deal with the hair instead of whacking it all off as these shows are prone to do.

I remember watching that episode. :) All their hair was beautiful on it. It was very funny when the stylists’ realised they couldn’t cut their hair. LOL :rollin:

I think one of the stylists had a lady with hair that was 6 ft long.:D

She separated sections on her client’s hair with her pointy heeled boot?! :agape: :shocked:

I remember cringing on hearing the poor women’s hair being torn through by the boot and being disgusted the way the stylist treated her hair. :nono:

swanns
June 16th, 2009, 11:22 AM

I remember that! I loved that challenge though, it was hilarious to see their faces when they were told they were not allowed to cut an inch of their beautiful hair :) And it's always good to see some hair-past-waist pride on telly.

liseling
June 16th, 2009, 11:41 AM

I wish I could see that!

enfys
June 16th, 2009, 11:44 AM
Was it Mylene Klass or Nicky Hambleton-Jones presenting?

Nicky always encourage long hair and ... Andrew Barton, I think was the hair stylist in those days. He was great, often giving women hair extensions to look more youthful. I loved the programme then.

Until they got rid of Nicky and I couldn't bear to watch it.

Also, the LoL thing isn't big here but I sense a change if they get a chance on tv.

Alun
June 16th, 2009, 12:23 PM
On America's Next Top Model (which really isn't a make-over show, but they do have a make-over each season so I think it counts, and I'm an ANTM expert lol) some of the girls have tried which has resulted in them being yelled at and they have had to just let them cut their hair in the end. I remember this one girl who had BSL-ish dark-brown hair, they bleached it and cut it to a long-ish pixie, then would've wanted to go even shorter but she disagreed so she was disqualified :rolleyes: Another girl had hair down to her bum and it was cut to a bit below her shoulders, and well, obviously she was bawling her eyes out, and another girl (who got to keep her hair for goodness sake!) goes 'I don't get why all these girls are crying, it's just hair!"

10 Years Younger is just awful anyway, the clothes they give to those poor people are not nice at all 99% of the time.

I've been watching clips from these talk show type of programmes on Youtube lately, you know, the kind where a woman with hair at least past waist walks in and they all go ooh and aah over it and she keeps telling how washing it takes X hours and how she always has to put it on her lap when she sits (as if a person with hair that long had never heard of an updo?) and crap, and then they cut it off really violently like. Argh!

A model would expect to lose work by having short hair, so I guess they could only agree if (a) they had no modelling career in RL or (b) they were badgered half to death, so I would expect a lot more to refuse than on a makeover shpw. If they asked a panel of heterosexual males they wouldn't be hacking off anyone's hair on any of these shows, but AFAIK they are all women and gay men, LOL!

swanns
June 16th, 2009, 12:33 PM
A model would expect to lose work by having short hair, so I guess they could only agree if (a) they had no modelling career in RL or (b) they were badgered half to death, so I would expect a lot more to refuse than on a makeover shpw. If they asked a panel of heterosexual males they wouldn't be hacking off anyone's hair on any of these shows, but AFAIK they are all women and gay men, LOL!

Oh but the judges' logic is that as a model you'll just have to agree to anything and everything, so if someone says you'd look good with a bleached really tightly curled one-inch pixie (they've done that TWICE!) then obviously it must be so :rolleyes: They also give them new 'identities', for example told one of them 'From now on, you'll be mod.' The poor girl didn't even know what that meant!

GlassEyes
June 16th, 2009, 12:52 PM
Usually, people know what to expect when they go on these shows, you know.

Kiraela
June 16th, 2009, 01:04 PM
Basically, it's a makeover show. Hair is one of the more visible, obvious things on a person, and one of the easiest to change. It is not a successful makeover, to the producers, if the project person looks similar before and after. They want them to look as different as possible, to get shock value and ratings from it. What better way to get a drastic change than cutting, coloring, and 'styling' hair?" Trust me, if the victim already had the standard above-shoulders-layered-bob sort of look, the show would either give her extensions or a pixie. If she has dark hair, it will be bleached. If she has blonde or red hair, it will be darkened.

That's one of the top two main reasons I don't watch that drivel. (The other, of course, being that 'fashion' is more important than what looks good, or is comfortable. If the person is happy and content wearing all black all the time, then who the bleeping-bleepity-BLEEP has the right to tell them that they're wrong?)

liseling
June 16th, 2009, 01:10 PM
Was it Mylene Klass or Nicky Hambleton-Jones presenting?

Nicky always encourage long hair and ... Andrew Barton, I think was the hair stylist in those days. He was great, often giving women hair extensions to look more youthful. I loved the programme then.

Until they got rid of Nicky and I couldn't bear to watch it.

Also, the LoL thing isn't big here but I sense a change if they get a chance on tv.

Oh, actually it was the American one. I always liked the one with Nicky Hambleton-Jones the best too! I'm American but I've lived in the UK for 5 years and the first 10 years younger that I saw was with her. The other hosts seem more boring for some reason.

enfys
June 16th, 2009, 01:16 PM
Oh, actually it was the American one. I always liked the one with Nicky Hambleton-Jones the best too! I'm American but I've lived in the UK for 5 years and the first 10 years younger that I saw was with her. The other hosts seem more boring for some reason.

We can get the US one here? What channel? I just liked her funny accent. No-one ever said "That's 11 years orrrrrf" quite like her.

Glad the LoL thing wasn't on a UK episode, even if it was shown here.

Torrin Paige
June 16th, 2009, 01:23 PM
I remember watching that episode. :) All their hair was beautiful on it. It was very funny when the stylists’ realised they couldn’t cut their hair. LOL :rollin:

I think one of the stylists had a lady with hair that was 6 ft long.:D

She separated sections on her client’s hair with her pointy heeled boot?! :agape: :shocked:

I remember cringing on hearing the poor women’s hair being torn through by the boot and being disgusted the way the stylist treated her hair. :nono:

Yup. The looks of horror were priceless. I couldn't help but cackle. I, too, was appalled with the treatment of some of their hair. Using your boots to separate hair! And we go to these people because they know about "hair care". Yeah right. I remembered the one stylist (Dee, I think?) was an adorable little Latina woman with a super short kinda spike-y 'do and she came up with a beautiful up-do that was Geisha/Asian inspired. I remember thinking that she would be the only one of them who I would even allow to come near me with a comb. Hers turned out all smooth and intricate and didn't rely on a can of hairspray and a bottle of hair gel. LOL. I was so surprised that they didn't know how to style hair. I mean, long haired gals get married and want something special on their wedding day, right? No one knows how to do an up-do on long hair? (I realize that there are many professional stylists that do, in fact, know what to do with long hair...it was just that no one on this show apparently did.)

liseling
June 16th, 2009, 01:33 PM
We can get the US one here? What channel? I just liked her funny accent. No-one ever said "That's 11 years orrrrrf" quite like her.

It was on 'Living' I think - that's probably a Sky channel. The American ones are only half an hour long each and they have a guy hosting them. Too bad LoL was featured on it - I bet they got another couple of hundred people to start chopping their hair to give to them just from that brief mention.

janeytilllie
June 16th, 2009, 01:39 PM
Yup. The looks of horror were priceless. I couldn't help but cackle. I, too, was appalled with the treatment of some of their hair. Using your boots to separate hair! And we go to these people because they know about "hair care". Yeah right. I remembered the one stylist (Dee, I think?) was an adorable little Latina woman with a super short kinda spike-y 'do and she came up with a beautiful up-do that was Geisha/Asian inspired. I remember thinking that she would be the only one of them who I would even allow to come near me with a comb. Hers turned out all smooth and intricate and didn't rely on a can of hairspray and a bottle of hair gel. LOL. I was so surprised that they didn't know how to style hair. I mean, long haired gals get married and want something special on their wedding day, right? No one knows how to do an up-do on long hair? (I realize that there are many professional stylists that do, in fact, know what to do with long hair...it was just that no one on this show apparently did.)

The stylists acted like they have never been near long hair. :rollin:

I was too was quite surprised. I thought they would have had some experince with updos and styles. because alot of top celebrities have beautiful updos and braids and also prom and wedding hairstyles. So I would have too thought they would have had some experince? :confused:

Dee's style was quite good I really liked it. It wasn't a knotted mess like the others :p

I do miss the show it was a fun hair/make over show to watch:D

mwedzi
June 16th, 2009, 01:50 PM

I completely agree. I know they are stylists, but what they seem to love to do most is cut. I don't know, it really seems like the most fun and interesting thing for them to do. With the idea that hair isn't really meant to be styled, and it just hanging there is the proper way to go. These shows almost never do a "style", if you know what I mean. I think they might also say that they're giving the client hair that she can do by herself, so she doesn't have to know how to do the style, she can just wash it, blow dry, and let it hang there. Has anyone even seen a single accesssory?

I really wish they'd learn how to do a variety of styles. I especially want to see it with hair like mine, because even at short lengths, very kinky hair holds styles really well.

The only time I see it go the other way is if the hair is really short, sometimes Top Model will put in a painful weave. Half the time the girl is still crying, this time because of the pain. Booo!

Longlocks3
June 16th, 2009, 02:07 PM
If a show like any of the ones mentioned contacted me I would run SCREAMING with my hair protected! I do think the OP story is sad, but it's possible the woman didn't say no because she really wanted the makeover and/or to be on television. I don't personally like 80% of the television on, I like me my adult oriented cartoons (Family Guy, Simpsons) they don't do crazy hair cuts on them! OH GOD! I hope they don't cut Marge's hair on the next Simpsons! To get a blue pillar like that she has to have like at least TBL! :cheese:

liseling
June 16th, 2009, 02:16 PM
If a show like any of the ones mentioned contacted me I would run SCREAMING with my hair protected! I do think the OP story is sad, but it's possible the woman didn't say no because she really wanted the makeover and/or to be on television. I don't personally like 80% of the television on, I like me my adult oriented cartoons (Family Guy, Simpsons) they don't do crazy hair cuts on them! OH GOD! I hope they don't cut Marge's hair on the next Simpsons! To get a blue pillar like that she has to have like at least TBL! :cheese:

Haha - at least Marge can miraculously grow her hair back to it's previous length (height?) by the next episode.

I'm not a big fan of TV in general either, but I've been having a lot of home time lately and have the TV on for background noise (sad, I know).
I'm not sure how these makeover shows work, but my guess is that they interview a lot of potential guests and try to find the ones who would make the most dramatic makeovers and probably try to get them to say that they'll agree to go with their changes or something. I doubt they just go in it blind, otherwise they'd have a lot more rejections for hair, clothes, surgery, etc.

liseling
June 16th, 2009, 02:18 PM

Also, the American one doesnt do plastic surgery, which I suppose is a good thing, but it's less exciting to television viewers I'm sure!

enfys
June 16th, 2009, 02:49 PM

I'm pretty sure she's about classic when her hair's wet. Seen that once or twice.

I suppose it's easy to think it won't be hard to cut your hair until you try. Heck, I sometimes can't bear to trim and even get pink cheeks because my heart's racing. That's a 1cm trim! By the time a contestant is at that point she's signed away her body.

Jessikinz
June 16th, 2009, 03:23 PM

That's exactly what I was about to say.

Natalia
June 16th, 2009, 03:45 PM
OMG i could rant all day long about makeover shows. I used to watch rachel ray in the morning but after this one makeover i couldnt do it anymore. Im allergic to everything anyway so why watxh for the food? Thsi girl was like 20 something an artist and had beautiful shiny long dark hair and they CUT IT TO A BOB! That made me so angry :-$ !!! She evn had a tape measure in her bathroom, who hates having longhair but measures it all the time? It was ridiculos..... angry making and sad :(

swanns
June 16th, 2009, 03:58 PM
Also, the American one doesnt do plastic surgery, which I suppose is a good thing, but it's less exciting to television viewers I'm sure!

They do plastic surgery in the British version? Wow, I've only ever watched the American version.

Then there's Extreme Makeover of course, where not a single body part can escape the knife. (I love to watch it though. I'm ashamed of myself.)

ChrissieM
June 16th, 2009, 04:00 PM
I watched a segment on the Today Show yesterday, about makeovers to make you look 10 lbs thinner. There was this lovely lady featured with long curly dark brown hair that hung to at least her elbows in front. They cut her hair to APL or a bit shorter, saying that long hair doesn't hide the pounds or something. I was so sad to watch that...reminds me of my grandmother, who always tells me to cut my hair because I'm "hiding behind it".

watermelon
June 16th, 2009, 04:03 PM
Wow, why do people care so much about what others choose to do with their own bodies? I don't watch television but this show sounds really ignorant, like pretty much all Western media. I had a teacher once tell me that older women shouldn't have long hair for some reason or another but never really thought about it.

When I'm older, I want to have very long, beautiful hair streaked with silver, not a 4" hack job because it's what a couple tabloids decided was "in" this year.

enfys
June 16th, 2009, 04:15 PM
Wow, why do people care so much about what others choose to do with their own bodies? I don't watch television but this show sounds really ignorant, like pretty much all Western media. I had a teacher once tell me that older women shouldn't have long hair for some reason or another but never really thought about it.

When I'm older, I want to have very long, beautiful hair streaked with silver, not a 4" hack job because it's what a couple tabloids decided was "in" this year.

I care because I don't like to see people get upset for the sake of television, and because the ideas put out by these programmes will rub off on other people who feel it's their duty to nag others about their hair.

manderly
June 16th, 2009, 04:23 PM
Nick Arrojo makes me stabby.

And I'm tired of not only these shows, but the spineless women who cow to the pressure. My god, women! Stand up for yourselves! If you don't want the smarmy hairdresser with the creepy greasy curls cutting your hair, then DON'T LET HIM. :justy: He is not an authority figure. He's a guy with scissors and an attitude!

And I can't believe the women would allow someone to use a boot heel on her hair. That would have made me stand up, grab the mfing boot out of that b*ches hand and shagged it across the room while screaming at her how EFFED up it is to be touching MY hair with her skanky-ass boot!!!! GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH

But I guess this is why my BF even tells me I can be a bitch. :shrug:

Kiraela
June 16th, 2009, 04:37 PM
Manderly: I would be right beside you on the boot flinging! Seriously? Ew.

hellkitty
June 16th, 2009, 05:00 PM
I caught a particularly vile incident of this sort on the Tyra Banks show (I was just flipping channels, I SWEAR!!). This young woman had maybe a bit past BSL hair, and the deal was if she'd agree to chop it, they'd give her a fabulous prize. So she agrees. She looks as if she's in actual pain as Tyra lops her ponytail.

But the worst part is they played a vile and mean and disgusting trick on her. Her 'prize' was a Chia pet. The poor girl started sobbing. Not that pretty kind of crying, but the full on red face snot drooling kind. I was practically crying too!

Of course, they then revealed that that was just a 'joke', and gave her some other prize that I guess was more appropriate. I don't remember what it was because, I'd flipped off in disgust and sworn to never watch that show again.

Can you imagine someone making your hair-massacre into a joke?!

HK

funnybunny668
June 16th, 2009, 05:34 PM
I agree that most of these shows just do it for the drama. A big change is what most fans want to see, so they go for as much as they can. But as was mentioned previously, the person getting the makeover probably knows what's done on the show.

Wanderer09
June 16th, 2009, 05:55 PM

My response to that would be "Get rid of your immature, superficial attitude, or get rid of me." Honestly, what kind of person would want to humiliate their partner/relative/friend on national TV just because of their hair?! :mad:

*Aoife*
June 16th, 2009, 06:04 PM
I watched 10 years younger once. I couldn't stomach it again. But I remember the What not to Wear episode. That girl's hair was lovely! Then she was portrayed badly for not wanting her hair chopped off :(

manderly
June 16th, 2009, 06:08 PM
My response to that would be "Get rid of your immature, superficial attitude, or get rid of me." Honestly, what kind of person would want to humiliate their partner/relative/friend on national TV just because of their hair?! :mad:

Someone that would go on Maury ;)

Fractalsofhair
June 16th, 2009, 06:24 PM
It's tragic, but most stylists think hair has to be blow dried/bleached/flatironed to be styled. I wish stylists knew how to style hair, because I'd love to go to a salon for special occasions, or even weekly for date nights if it didn't cost $100 or so. I think a stylist could easily cut long layers in the front, or even shorter layers/bangs and still keep the bulk of the long hair intack.

Long hair is seen as gross by most people, since well, people assume they don't wash it etc. I wore a wig today, and since I normally keep my hair in a ponytail, people thought it had gone from shoulder length to waist/hip overnight, after I dyed it red(I was wearing a red wig). People thought it was my real hair, told me to flat iron it and go back to blonde, and I actually got questions like how do you go to the bathroom with it. With only a little longer than waist!(How the heck can you not go to the bathroom with hair that's only waist, I could see having to move it at Classic or longer?) http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23694559/?pg=1#tdy_ambush_makeovers These makeovers are amusing, about 90&#37; of the women look worse after and it looks to be the same color hair dye on all of them. The makeup, I could do a better job at, and my hands shake! I find it amusing that they say gray hair adds years to 77 year old's age. If you're 77, you're older, and well, you've done something right to live that long, and well, you shouldn't be trying to get mistaken for a 20 year old, and well, your age should be honored, not as something to "fix". Now prematurely gray or even middle aged graying is one thing, but at past the average life expectancy, gray hair is a sign of your wonderful long life!

I wish stylists could do both short cuts and long cuts, but in my town most are woefully inept at even short cuts, and a lot are doing it since they used to be SAHM who graduated from beauty school, but got divorced and needed a job, not because they love hair(Nothing wrong with being a SAHM, but it's not their life goal to be a stylist.).

NamedForTheMoon
June 16th, 2009, 06:27 PM
Isn't it interesting how people on tv with long hair will chop it off (Katie Holmes as an example) and then go out and have extensions put in to have it long again (Katie Homes as an example) and then everyone oohs and aahs over it?

BTW, is there some double standard about normal people with long hair versus celebrities? Angelina Jolie has long hair. Jennifer Aniston has long hair. Miley Cyrus has long hair (or are those extensions?) Paris Hilton (Ugh, bad example, I know) has extensions, making her look like she has long hair. Kim Kardashian, has long hair. Lots and lots of female country singers, pop stars, rock stars, etc, have long hair. So what's the deal?

manderly
June 16th, 2009, 06:29 PM
BTW, is there some double standard about normal people with long hair versus celebrities? Angelina Jolie has long hair. Jennifer Aniston has long hair. Miley Cyrus has long hair (or are those extensions?) Paris Hilton (Ugh, bad example, I know) has extensions, making her look like she has long hair. Kim Kardashian, has long hair. Lots and lots of female country singers, pop stars, rock stars, etc, have long hair. So what's the deal?

I find that insanely amusing as well!! And especially on What Not to Wear, both Carmindy and Stacy have long hair! But they can't let any of the guests keep theirs past shoulder, OH NO!

Kiraela
June 16th, 2009, 07:03 PM
ttp://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23694559/?pg=1#tdy_ambush_makeovers (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23694559/?pg=1#tdy_ambush_makeovers) These makeovers are amusing, about 90% of the women look worse after and it looks to be the same color hair dye on all of them.

Holy carp, you're right! It looks like they made up a single giant bucket of hairdye and dunked everybody in it.

Fractalsofhair
June 16th, 2009, 08:10 PM
Kiraela- it even looks like boxed hair dye as well! XD No multidymensionality or any of those fun words used to describe hair, and most of the time it sorta clashes with the skin tone of the people! XD The hair cuts are extremely similar as well, which is scary.

Nevermore
June 17th, 2009, 12:36 AM
Sometimes I wonder if these women really, as in REALLY need the money. Some of them, the ones who don't care about the haircut, are probably just in it for the makeover and shopping and whatever (and that's fine), but women who are bawling their eyes out on TV while getting their long hair chopped off? Makes me wonder. There's more than spinelessness there, methinks.

I'll tell you what though, if I needed money that badly, I'd be a stripper or something.

Gothic Lolita
June 17th, 2009, 12:51 AM
I don't think the women really need the money, they probably got dragged their by relatives who ant to be seen on TV once in their lifetime. And at first it doesn't sound so bad, at least for non-LHCers.... "just cutting your hair a little, dear, to make you look fresher! And as a bonus you'll get money for it. "
Yeah, right. But alomst everyone one I know, although non of them is a hair-obsessed as I am, as some sorft of affinity to their hair and would most likely freak out if somebody cut it, just because. Nobody can tell me these poor women on TV grew their hair long because they didn't have money to visit the stylist. They too will have a "relationship" with their hair and cutting it will destroy part of it irrevocably.

Nevermore
June 17th, 2009, 01:03 AM
Maybe I have a totally different mindset than these women :shrug: If a relative attempted to drag me to a show, I'd tell them to stuff it. If someone I was dating tried it, I'd tell them to stuff it-and their belongings would be on the curb in short order. I'm a pushover on alot of things, some more important than hair, but my hair is one of the things I can actually stand up for and no one could make me cut it, short of knocking me out and doing it then.

Fifty-Five
June 17th, 2009, 05:02 AM
I hate shows like these. =/

Gothic Lolita
June 17th, 2009, 05:46 AM
Maybe I have a totally different mindset than these women :shrug: If a relative attempted to drag me to a show, I'd tell them to stuff it. If someone I was dating tried it, I'd tell them to stuff it-and their belongings would be on the curb in short order. I'm a pushover on alot of things, some more important than hair, but my hair is one of the things I can actually stand up for and no one could make me cut it, short of knocking me out and doing it then.

DITO! My hair belongs to me, and I decide what to do with it, no relative, guy or whatelse changes that and if the disapprove, well... it's still my hair.

Flynn
June 17th, 2009, 05:49 AM
ANGER.

Yes that's post's long enough! And stop removing my all-caps.

liseling
June 17th, 2009, 05:52 AM
Nick Arrojo makes me stabby.

And I'm tired of not only these shows, but the spineless women who cow to the pressure. My god, women! Stand up for yourselves! If you don't want the smarmy hairdresser with the creepy greasy curls cutting your hair, then DON'T LET HIM. :justy: He is not an authority figure. He's a guy with scissors and an attitude!

And I can't believe the women would allow someone to use a boot heel on her hair. That would have made me stand up, grab the mfing boot out of that b*ches hand and shagged it across the room while screaming at her how EFFED up it is to be touching MY hair with her skanky-ass boot!!!! GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH

But I guess this is why my BF even tells me I can be a bitch. :shrug:

These things make me "stabby" too :D
I also think that the women on these shows should stand up to the host - they cant MAKE them allow their hair to be cut. I bet the reason that some of them allow it even though they're bawling their eyes out is that they've somehow told the show's people that they'll go along with any changes that they stylists want to make and they dont want to look like they're going back on their word.

The other thing that might be going on is that they know that all the people around them (in the audience, or the family member that brought them, or even being aware of the socially prevalent attitude that long hair is somehow disgusting) think that they're being silly for being so attached to this disgusting and unfashionable mass of hair and that they all think s/he should cut it.

True, and maybe they even considered it acceptable that they'd get their hair cut before they were actually in that immediate position. It's also possible that they thought (naively) that they'd get a makeover but the show wouldnt want to cut much off their hair. Either way, it sucks that at the moment they realize that they dont want to get their hair cut they're pressured into it, and sometimes almost bullied into it.

If I was the stylist and was going to cut someone's hair (or if I were the host looking on), and the person started sobbing so much that you'd think we were amputating one of her legs or something, I would stop. I wouldnt be able to look in the mirror after making someone cry like that.

And if the person actually manages to be strong enough to refuse they're made out to be childish and stubborn and that they're being silly for holding onto some filthy meaningless thing when everyone thinks they should get rid of it for their own good.

I dont get annoyed at all the shows I've seen where they cut hair, because most of the time the person who got made over seems like they like the change. It's annoying that the attitude is that long hair cannot look good, but hey, if they like it then that's what's ultimately important, right? But I DO get pretty pissed off when people obviously dont want to cut their hair and they're bullied into it anyway. :shrug:

noelgirl
June 17th, 2009, 06:24 AM

This is why I think that the beauty industry as presented to "the little people" is a step behind and out of touch with what's actually going on in fashion. There's a conformity that contrary to claims that shorter hair is "modern," really hasn't changed. The helmet heads now are the same as they were 10 or 20 years ago. I'd even argue that this is a bigger rut than I'm in, at least my hair learns new tricks :cheese:

There's a sense of safety to subscribing to the old rules. Take "no long hair after 40" or whatever age. If you countered that by saying that Jennifer Aniston wears her hair long and she's 40, I'm sure that there's a decent number who would say "well, she's a movie star, she can get away with it." (And a few more who would say that she needs to cut hers too :rolleyes: ). Many people are afraid to stand out, but by definition, celebrities stand out anyway, so they may as well not follow all the old rules.

brunette
June 17th, 2009, 07:40 AM
I don't wear my hair long to make myself look younger, but I happen to think it does help.

Now whether people see my hair down then see the face and run screaming or sniggering I do not know, but I would cut it short for no one. And I wouldn't colour it either!

Merewen
June 17th, 2009, 09:46 AM
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23694559/?pg=1#tdy_ambush_makeovers These makeovers are amusing, about 90% of the women look worse after and it looks to be the same color hair dye on all of them. The makeup, I could do a better job at, and my hands shake!

And if anyone had the hint of a curl it was flattened and killed. There were some really promising lovely curls in the "before" pictures.

Nevermore
June 17th, 2009, 02:20 PM
DITO! My hair belongs to me, and I decide what to do with it, no relative, guy or whatelse changes that and if the disapprove, well... it's still my hair.

I know some people here disagree with me, based on another thread, but I think that people one dates/marries/partnerships/whatevers should respect them enough to at least tolerate things that the other person loves, whether that's hair or model trains or what have you.

I may not be as into my fiancee's model planes as she is, and she may not be obsessed with my hair quite as much as I am, but just like I'd encourage her not to throw away her planes because it would be really upsetting for her, she would (and does) encourage me to wait awhile before doing anything drastic to my hair.

BranwenWolf
June 17th, 2009, 04:39 PM
I hate how they chop off hair, too. "What not to Wear" featured a lady who did swordfighting and renactments and she had, I think, hip-length hair? They cut it off to BSL.

I haven't found many hairstylists that are friendly about my long hair. They always assume that if it's long it must be dry and damaged and ugly. People also give me crud about my center-part. I'm fascinated that strangers have so much time to obsess over MY looks.

Saisaisayonara
June 17th, 2009, 04:59 PM
Ugh why would anyone cut pretty long hair? The thought just confused my brain.

Fractalsofhair
June 17th, 2009, 05:01 PM
Merewen- I agree, and curls are wonderful! But then again, people at my high school claim curly hair is unhygienic, since flat ironing kills germs(Not quite sure how they figured that one out)! XD I wish I had curly hair more often, my hair varies so much. It's also a heck of a lot of work to blowdry/flat iron daily, not to mention damaging.

BranwenWolf- I think many stylists assume long hair is damaged because sometimes it is, and BSL or so bleached/flat ironed(The false terminal many people get with "normal" hair care) looks damaged. My brother had hair to his knees, and it was a scary sight. He was/is balding, his hair is jet black, it was severely damaged(Not even full tapering(Slight, but well, not noticeable. At least I know I could probably get my hair to my knees though, since terminal lengths are somewhat genetic?), just thinning and looking damaged, so no fairy tail ends, just... Awkward ends! XD) and well, he just used shampoo on it, rarely conditioner, which is considered a "gentle" routine by stylists. He grew his hair long out of pure laziness and wore it down all the time. He looks much much much better with a short cut, though when he cut his hair to his hips it looked, ok, but well, the balding looked off with the long hair! If a stylist only sees 1-2 people EVER with hair down that is very long, and they're like my brother, I could understand that prejustice. Long haired people with healthy hair are rare, and generally care about their hair. That being said, long hair is BSL or so to most stylists, even just shoulder length! It's hard to grow long hair with the routine that most American Females in my town do, which is flat iron 1-2x daily, occasionally 3x, curl for the weekends +tons of hair spray, blow dry with every shower from sopping wet, brush wet and dry, comb a lot, harsh bleach every 3 weeks(On light brown hair, you don't need a 40V developer left on for the full amount of time! With double applications!), highlights every 3 months on top of the bleach, chemical relaxer for many of them(On barely wavey "white" hair, that is probably a type 1b/1c! Overkill much...), and no conditioner or shine serum, just a clarifying shampoo every daily wash. (I'm not even sure how they can make it to a bob with their routine...) I doubt everyone does that much to their hair, but the contrast between female and male haircare is quite noticeable... And most females do at least a good chunk of that to their hair, I'm fairly certain.

All of that but the no conditioner are things my stylists recommend, and the brushing when wet, and lack of coney serums. Adding those 3 hair "healthy"(If you're going to damage it that much, cones are probably needed)) things won't help you reach waist length for hair, and well, even BSL might be hard, along with shoulder being about as long as most girls can get their hair. Doing that routine, I doubt anyone could get hip length hair that looked nice, and VERY VERY VERY few could get waist, and I bet NO ONE could get ankle length doing that daily on the full length of their hair. Most Americans aren't terribly healthy in diet, and proper diet lets hair grow, as long shiny hair is quite less important to our bodies than our heart or our liver or brain surviving! That being said, eating healthy isn't too hard, and many people do, since I'm not saying a PERFECT diet here, just one with sufficient vitamins, healthy calories, a wide range of foods(Fruits, veggies etc) and food groups(Fat, Protein, carbs) etc.

BTW, I love my center part, my hair doesn't seem to be able to part any other way! XD I actually get a bit... bullied, for even having a part in my hair, since a lot of the girls in my school don't have a part, it just sorta falls all around, esp if they have bangs.

The person's hair you mentioned probably helped her job, as it would be historically accurate!

Bene
June 17th, 2009, 11:05 PM
i was looking at the ambush videos earlier, and something totally outraged me :rant:

this one woman in the outside crowd was holding her hair out over her shoulder and kind of waving it at them like "LOOK, hair for you to chop off!!!" and when they picked her, they mentioned that she was going to donate it to LOL.

so apparently, one of the ways to get on these shows is to entice them with long hair. :nono:

flapjack
June 18th, 2009, 12:28 AM
Cutting off long, beautiful hair just doesn't compute in my brain. I understand that some people like shorter hair, I just can't see things from their POV. When someone has long hair and likes it, there's pretty much never a valid reason to cut it at all.

manderly
June 18th, 2009, 01:21 AM
Listen, I've never been a longhair. I think this is perhaps the longest my hair has ever been. I have grown and cut my hair dozens of times in my life. There is nothing wrong with short hair, there is nothing wrong with long hair, it's all a matter of preference and what you like at that time in your life. I know a lot of you come from being longhairs forever and can't see the value and/or beauty in a short style. :shrug:

I just want to point out there is a difference between being ambushed by people who "love you" and want you to look your best and make you cut your hair while you're crying, and people who voluntarily sit their butts down in that chair and say "chop it!". I never cried when I cut all my hair off. I never had anyone force a style upon me (yes, even the boy cut in the 5th grade was my idea :nono:).

I just wanted to serve as a reminder. My issue is with the women who DON'T want to cut and have emotional breaks on national TV because it was foisted upon them. I don't give a bleeping patootey about women who are ready for a change, want something new, want to cut their hair off for a "charity" to get on TV. They are not my concern ;)

Bene
June 18th, 2009, 01:33 AM
Listen, I've never been a longhair. I think this is perhaps the longest my hair has ever been. I have grown and cut my hair dozens of times in my life. There is nothing wrong with short hair, there is nothing wrong with long hair, it's all a matter of preference and what you like at that time in your life. I know a lot of you come from being longhairs forever and can't see the value and/or beauty in a short style. :shrug:

I just want to point out there is a difference between being ambushed by people who "love you" and want you to look your best and make you cut your hair while you're crying, and people who voluntarily sit their butts down in that chair and say "chop it!". I never cried when I cut all my hair off. I never had anyone force a style upon me (yes, even the boy cut in the 5th grade was my idea :nono:).

I just wanted to serve as a reminder. My issue is with the women who DON'T want to cut and have emotional breaks on national TV because it was foisted upon them. I don't give a bleeping patootey about women who are ready for a change, want something new, want to cut their hair off for a "charity" to get on TV. They are not my concern ;)

you have a point, they may be ready for a change, but it's how they go around getting it... those people make it acceptable (in the public sphere) for some stranger to ambush someone else.

and the people who say "no, i'd like to stay a long hair/ a brunette/ a curly" are then coerced, shamed, or guilt tripped into something they don't want. the people doing the ambush truly believe that they know better than the person receiving a makeover.

Nat242
June 18th, 2009, 01:39 AM
If people stopped watching these shows, they'd stop making them. :shrug:

manderly
June 18th, 2009, 01:40 AM
you have a point, they may be ready for a change, but it's how they go around getting it... those people make it acceptable (in the public sphere) for some stranger to ambush someone else.

and the people who say "no, i'd like to stay a long hair/ a brunette/ a curly" are then coerced, shamed, or guilt tripped into something they don't want. the people doing the ambush truly believe that they know better than the person receiving a makeover.

And that makes me sick :sick:

I agree.

enfys
June 18th, 2009, 03:42 AM
Merewen- I agree, and curls are wonderful! But then again, people at my high school claim curly hair is unhygienic, since flat ironing kills germs(Not quite sure how they figured that one out)!

Well, in Home Economics you're taught cooking chicken kills germs, and hair's protein, right? :brickwall

I don't care at all if they want their hair changed drastically. That's fine with me. If they're crying, not so cool.

This remnded me of (I think) 10 Years Younger, an old UK one with Nicky on, where a man had longish dreadlocks. I honestly believed they'd cut them off, but they actually spend hours and hours carefully washing and treating them until they untangled the hair, then still left it quite long. Unsurprisingly there was a lot of damage from the dreadlocks so he lost some length when they neatened it but it was great after! All soft and full. He was really happy.

liseling
June 18th, 2009, 08:41 AM
Well, in Home Economics you're taught cooking chicken kills germs, and hair's protein, right? :brickwall

I don't care at all if they want their hair changed drastically. That's fine with me. If they're crying, not so cool.

This remnded me of (I think) 10 Years Younger, an old UK one with Nicky on, where a man had longish dreadlocks. I honestly believed they'd cut them off, but they actually spend hours and hours carefully washing and treating them until they untangled the hair, then still left it quite long. Unsurprisingly there was a lot of damage from the dreadlocks so he lost some length when they neatened it but it was great after! All soft and full. He was really happy.

Wow, really??? I wish I could see that one! For one, I'd be quite interested in watching how to untangle dreadlocks, and plus that would be the first makeover show I've seen where they've left a guy's hair long!

Renbirde
June 18th, 2009, 01:10 PM
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23694559/?pg=1#tdy_ambush_makeovers These makeovers are amusing, about 90% of the women look worse after and it looks to be the same color hair dye on all of them. The makeup, I could do a better job at, and my hands shake!
Quite. And all those curlies-- just stealing their paddle brushes would have made a world of difference!

We really need to get some LHC cards made up to give to people...

Fractalsofhair
June 18th, 2009, 04:28 PM
Enfys, I have no issue with people changing their hair drastically! It is annoying how it's forced onto people though.(When they don't even look that bad to begin with, maybe some makeup or skin care advice+new CLOTHES, and a style, not a hair cut is all that's needed for them to look wonderful.) And Lulz at your comment about hair and chicken.
Renbirde, I agree about the needing combs instead of brushes. It would be cool to have hair advice cards to give out, and I bet it would help people. Probably would offend most though...

ETA
This women looks better after the makeover than before though... http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23694559/?pg=48#tdy_ambush_makeovers
The dog hat just kills her look! XD

enfys
June 18th, 2009, 04:49 PM
Enfys, I have no issue with people changing their hair drastically! It is annoying how it's forced onto people though.(When they don't even look that bad to begin with, maybe some makeup or skin care advice+new CLOTHES, and a style, not a hair cut is all that's needed for them to look wonderful.) And Lulz at your comment about hair and chicken.
Renbirde, I agree about the needing combs instead of brushes. It would be cool to have hair advice cards to give out, and I bet it would help people. Probably would offend most though...

ETA
This women looks better after the makeover than before though... http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23694559/?pg=48#tdy_ambush_makeovers
The dog hat just kills her look! XD

I didn't mean you were talking about the drastic change thing! Lots of people were, it was just a general mention!

liseling, all I remember of that episode is that it was some time ago and they used lots of something (other than patience) to get the dreadlocks out. They had to get the wax out or something. It was ages and ages ago.

Fractalsofhair
June 18th, 2009, 04:51 PM
Ah, yeah it's sometimes hard to tell! Also, I thought you weren't supposed to use wax on dreads.(I had a camp friend with 4b hair that had dreads(we saw photos of her before dreads) and she would always tell people not to use wax on their hair if they have dreads. To get them out, she said to use conditioner, tons of it and a fine toothed comb and take your time. She'd done it a few times though.)

NickalNack
June 18th, 2009, 04:53 PM
I hate shows like that. America's Next Top Model does it too. Whenever there's a girl with amazing, long, beautiful hair, Tyra orders it chopped off. Why, Tyra, why?

enfys
June 18th, 2009, 04:56 PM
Ah, yeah it's sometimes hard to tell! Also, I thought you weren't supposed to use wax on dreads.(I had a camp friend with 4b hair that had dreads(we saw photos of her before dreads) and she would always tell people not to use wax on their hair if they have dreads. To get them out, she said to use conditioner, tons of it and a fine toothed comb and take your time. She'd done it a few times though.)

I think it depends on the method you use to put them in. 4b might not need anything like as much teasing as the guy on tv because his hair was straight and dark blonde/light brown.

Not that I know anything about dreads, I just remember reading up about them a bit once. A while ago.

Fractalsofhair
June 18th, 2009, 05:14 PM
This being said, teased hair comes out very easily with conditioner! (I tease my hair a bit very occasionally for a Siouxsieesque/Robert Smith look.). Well the teased part, and there is some hair loss, but nothing major for my hair. I don't know that much about dreads either, but it probably depends on how they're put in. If some one used wax on their dreads to tidy them a bit, I could see it being hard to remove.