PDA

View Full Version : Improvements on hairstyles

eternallyverdan
June 16th, 2009, 01:42 AM
So, I started thinking about the hairstyles that I do every day, and I've modified a few styles to make them faster and easier.

There are two main ones that I've done. First, I do the Chinese bun with just a hairstick; I twist the first 1-1 1/2 inches, put the hairstick through that, and then split and wrap the rest of the length. I also do a sort of modified Nautilus, where I basically make two Celtic knots, wrap my hair around the base, and then use the second knot as the hairholder.

I was hoping that maybe other people had figured out some quick tips like this that they didn't think were worthy of a whole post of their own. Anyone have anything to share? I'm always trying to find ways to make my daily routines easier.

Maria

longhairedfairy
June 16th, 2009, 01:49 AM
I often like to just do a bee-butt bun because it only takes a few seconds. I think it's probably the easiest/fastest of all buns.:)

Gothic Lolita
June 16th, 2009, 06:43 AM
Not really an improvement, but when I'm really lazy, I just put my hair into a messy bee-butt/cinnathing without twisting the length and secure it with ine or two claw clips. doesn't look very elaborate, but... my toilet isn't interested in my hair while I'm cleaning it and this way it doesn't fall in. and it's faster than a real bun and my hair doesn't like being twisted daily.

hellkitty
June 16th, 2009, 07:49 AM
Either I'm doing something tragically wrong doing the Gibson Twist or...something. When I get to the point where the stick is stuck through right to left, and shorties are supposed to tuck the end under and then poke the stick left to right again, I do something different.

When I'm at that point, I still have a long tail of hair hanging down the left side. The 'long haired' adaptation I think calls to wrap that around the stick first. If I do that I have a HUGE lump on the left side of my head (and my hair is NOT that thick!). Like I said, I could be doing something tragically wrong.

But here's what I do instead. Poke the stick right to left, yes, as directed. Then I tuck the tail *behind* the stick, so it's between stick and scalp. With a long tail still hanging down, I then poke the stick back left to right. Sometimes, I just leave that tail long, which actually looks kind of cute.

Sometimes, I then take that long (and pitifully thin, did I say that already?) tail and after the stick is 'in place', THEN I wrap the tail around the stick and tuck, kind of like Amoretti's hairstick bun. It doesn't have the huge pouf of the short haired version, but it's sturdy and looks much more intricate than it is.

If I could ever manage a pic of the back of my head, I'll post it! I hope my verbal description helps...someone?

HK, probably not all that helpful, but I was excited by it. I call it the 'Gibson Screw Up' :)

Gothic Lolita
June 16th, 2009, 07:54 AM
Lol, Gibson Screw Up!!! That made me laugh, because alost everytime I try out a new hairstyle, no matter how simple it is, I screw it up. I think the only thing that loos good everytime is a cinnamon bun, the Chinese bun looks decent most of the time too. But apart from that everything else looks like an accident, I can't even do the Wrap bun and the Nautilus bun brought me to my wit's ends. :( I'm going to watch the tutorial videos again!

mtstorm
June 16th, 2009, 09:54 PM
My hair is usually down or in a braided bun. When I put it up in the bun (no clue what this would be called, just figured it out through trial and error), usually I put it up wet, I make a high pony tail, braid it, then wrap it around the base and secure with a hair stick. Looks pretty and takes less than 5 minutes.

hellkitty
June 16th, 2009, 10:00 PM
My hair is usually down or in a braided bun. When I put it up in the bun (no clue what this would be called, just figured it out through trial and error), usually I put it up wet, I make a high pony tail, braid it, then wrap it around the base and secure with a hair stick. Looks pretty and takes less than 5 minutes.

My sister does this. In fact, it's the only style she knows! I think it may take her more than five minutes: her hair is longer than mine--almost knee length. But she uses a fork--can you really hold it up with one stick? Wow!

I'm not so good with this style because apparently there's some trick that you (and my sister) know about getting the braid started around the base without having a weird lump or bobble of hair (from the start of the braid) hanging out of the center.

HK