PDA

View Full Version : I look manly in updos - cutting loose pieces?

ReddishRocks
June 15th, 2009, 08:44 PM
I really need to soften my updo look, LOL! See, I have a rather high forehead and prominent proboscis... Bangs/fringe failed before due to oily skin and a wicked cowlick. I'm thinking about getting some face framing pieces cut, but of course I want to be careful! I've got a great stylist, but I'll definitely need to bring pictures. Can you guys help me?

I can achieve curls or waves with those pieces (I think, LOL!), so pictures that show either would be great!

I've already got a couple curls that pop up to chin length, but I'm thinking I need to get those cut shorter even:

http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x143/ReddishRocks/100_3592KatDanny3-1-1.jpg

Any pictures you guys can help me with would be great! Thank you!

RavennaNight
June 15th, 2009, 08:55 PM
I had to google proboscis. :laugh: You learn something new every day. And I disagree about your proboscis, or lack thereof.:laugh: I feel you on the high forehead plight though. We are in the same boat there. Face framing layers soften the look, deifinitely. But I'd also ask myself how often I like to wear my hair up.

ReddishRocks
June 15th, 2009, 09:09 PM
Aw, thanks for the reply! I kinda picked that photo because my nose isn't as proboscis-like in that one. ;)

LOOK OUT!!! :D

http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x143/ReddishRocks/thehoneycomb-lavendar.jpg

It's a bit wet in that photo...

I wash my hair every 2-3 days right now, and I sometimes like to stretch it to 4. If so, the last two days are updos. That's 33%+ days of updo hair. :) Often enough to want to help out the look, I think!

Speckla
June 15th, 2009, 09:16 PM
Ah, I say where your hair up however you like it!

I have a large nose - family heirloom German/Italian - and that's the reason I kept my hair short for so many years. I was once told during a makeover in HS that my nose was too big for long hair. Now that's silly -- who wants to grow nosehair that long? ;)

ReddishRocks
June 15th, 2009, 09:19 PM

I have a large nose - family heirloom German/Italian - and that's the reason I kept my hair short for so many years. I was once told during a makeover in HS that my nose was too big for long hair. Now that's silly -- who wants to grow nosehair that long? ;)

LMAO! That gets the cheese for sure!!! :cheese:

Oh, I'll keep wearing my hair up - my husband doesn't love it up, but he loves it long, so he's willing to deal with the updos. ;) I'm just pretty clear on the fact that I have a high forehead, and I'd like to help that out a bit. I'm doin' it all for me. :D

GlassEyes
June 15th, 2009, 09:20 PM
I don't think you look manly. I think you look pretty.

Then again, that's with hair down.

Okay, I have a COMPLETELY different hairtype, but still curly, and I'm a guy, but I -do- have curly layers and bangs. Hold on a sec.

http://i681.photobucket.com/albums/vv172/Astatl/DSCF1409.jpg

BEWAREBLANKSTAREOFTHEDEERINTHEHEADLIGHTS.

I -do- think I look better with them, but they're often a PITA. So beware. xD; They can get in the way if you want it ALL up and out of your face.

Honestwitness
June 15th, 2009, 10:16 PM
I have a high forehead, also, and I have these ugly bumps on my forehead, called seboreic (sp?) hyperplasia. So, I wear bangs and face-framing layers to keep from looking like a warty old lady.

I cut the bangs and layers myself and I also keep them trimmed myself. I taught myself by doing a lot of research and watching youtube videos on how to cut your own bangs, because I don't trust a hairstylist to do it the way I want. I trim very little amounts at a time, to keep from getting them too short.

I usually trim about every 4 weeks and in several sessions over several days. For example, I'll trim just the bits that hang over my eyes one day. Then, the next day or two, I trim the bits that touch my cheeks. Then, the next day or two, I feather the newly cut bangs and cheek-touching hairs so they gradually blend in with the length.

The bangs go back from my front hairline about 2 1/2 inches in the center/top. They are parted from the longer hair in a crescent shape, with the points being at about the level of the highest part of my eyebrows.

To feather the bangs, I take a rectangular section (within that crescent) that's about 3/4 inch wide and goes from front to back (like a rooster comb) and hold that up vertically. I hold that "rooster comb" of hair between the first and second fingers of my left hand and slide my fingers almost out to the ends of the hair, so the ends are sticking out from between my fingers about half an inch. I am holding my hand almost completely vertical, so that the hairs closer to my face are shortest and the hairs closest to my crown are longest. Then, with my right hand, I trim the ends in a nearly vertical line.

I repeat this process for the next section to the right and to the left of my original "rooster comb", with each of those sections also being about 3/4 inch wide. Then I blend this with the surrounding hairs as necessary.

I have some photos that show the trimming process, but I can't post them right now. I'm typing this message on my Blackberry, because my desktop is unplugged right now. We're in the middle of a raging thunderstorm and I always turn off and unplug my desktop and all the peripherals, to prevent lightning damage.

bugeyedmonster2
June 15th, 2009, 10:22 PM

:rollin: Funny!

bugeyedmonster2
June 15th, 2009, 10:28 PM
Sorry but the big nose comments reminded me of this fake plastic surgeon advertisement I saw once on the internet. (Never have been able to find it again.)

It showed a before and after photos. Before the woman had a small nose and looked unhappy, after picture she had a larger nose and a big smile. I don't remember the top part of the ad, but the bottom part read "We'll give you a nose that shines like a Mayan statue."

Hey, you never know, one day in the future everyone might want larger noses.

(^_^)/
BEM

(Tom Baker as Doctor Who responding to a gun pointing at his face.)
Dr Who, with big smile; "It's rather Romanesque, isn't it?"

feralnature
June 15th, 2009, 10:34 PM
You don't look like a man and your features are lovely. I had to look up proboscis too:

1. A long flexible snout or trunk, as of an elephant.
2. The slender, tubular feeding and sucking organ of certain invertebrates, such as insects, worms, and mollusks.
3. A human nose, especially a prominent one

c&p from

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/proboscis

Flynn
June 15th, 2009, 10:38 PM
Aw, thanks for the reply! I kinda picked that photo because my nose isn't as proboscis-like in that one. ;)

LOOK OUT!!! :D

http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x143/ReddishRocks/thehoneycomb-lavendar.jpg

It's a bit wet in that photo...

I wash my hair every 2-3 days right now, and I sometimes like to stretch it to 4. If so, the last two days are updos. That's 33%+ days of updo hair. :) Often enough to want to help out the look, I think!

I'd leave down exactly the pieces you have here. You probably want to leave them long enough that you can tuck them behind your ears if you're doing something: I'm assuming that you're a real person, not a magazine-person.

Very lovely style, by the way!

viking_quest
June 15th, 2009, 10:43 PM
OT: I love the fact that you used proboscis. :cheese: I never hear it enough in daily life. It's one of my favourite words, and nobody ever knows what I'm talking about when I use it.

GlassEyes
June 15th, 2009, 10:54 PM
It might be better to ask on Naturallycurly.com, actually, if you want more pics.

Feye
June 15th, 2009, 11:27 PM
First of all, I really like your nose! It is not big, it looks great! Check out those statues of Afrodite (Venus de Milo for example), your nose is so much smaller.

As a person who's been hiding behind layers and fringe/bangs for most of my life, I am finally growing them out. What I'm doing is to wear a headband, push the hair forward a little on the sides, make an updo, and then remove the headband. This makes the sides fall softly around my face instead of being pulled back harshly. And all this without the bother of fringe/layers!
When drying my hair I put it behind my ears and push it forward a little at the sides too. When it is dry the shape of the hair around the face is slightly bent in a soft wave that looks really nice.

I'm sure that you could find ways to style your curls too that you'll feel comfortable with.

ReddishRocks
June 15th, 2009, 11:35 PM
I have some photos that show the trimming process, but I can't post them right now. I'm typing this message on my Blackberry, because my desktop is unplugged right now. We're in the middle of a raging thunderstorm and I always turn off and unplug my desktop and all the peripherals, to prevent lightning damage.

WOW! Thanks for typing all that from you phone! I know how much work that is! I would love to see some photos when you get the chance. :) It would be much easier if I just did it myself... my hair grows really fast when I don't want it to, and not at all when I'm watching. ;)

ReddishRocks
June 15th, 2009, 11:37 PM
I'd leave down exactly the pieces you have here. You probably want to leave them long enough that you can tuck them behind your ears if you're doing something: I'm assuming that you're a real person, not a magazine-person.

Very lovely style, by the way!

Thank you! This picture was taken several months ago, so maybe I just need to work on getting those face framers trimmed a little more often. :D

ReddishRocks
June 15th, 2009, 11:40 PM
First of all, I really like your nose! It is not big, it looks great! Check out those statues of Afrodite (Venus de Milo for example), your nose is so much smaller.

As a person who's been hiding behind layers and fringe/bangs for most of my life, I am finally growing them out. What I'm doing is to wear a headband, push the hair forward a little on the sides, make an updo, and then remove the headband. This makes the sides fall softly around my face instead of being pulled back harshly. And all this without the bother of fringe/layers!
When drying my hair I put it behind my ears and push it forward a little at the sides too. When it is dry the shape of the hair around the face is slightly bent in a soft wave that looks really nice.

I'm sure that you could find ways to style your curls too that you'll feel comfortable with.

That's a really interesting method - I'll have to play around with that! Thank you!

MandaMom2Three
June 15th, 2009, 11:59 PM
I think your nose is very nicely shaped, want to trade? :lol:

longhairedfairy
June 16th, 2009, 01:14 AM
I had to google proboscis. :laugh: You learn something new every day.
Me too! :lol: And you do not have one!

kdaniels8811
June 16th, 2009, 03:46 AM
ReddishRocks - I do not know WHERE you got the idea you look manly - you are very feminine and lovely and so is your nose. It is not large at all! I use a bit of a "poof" like a small half up when bunning my hair, skinned back off my face does not work for me. And I had bangs and grew them out - they are almost chin length so I have some hair around my face or can clip it back. Yu are lovely!

Fethenwen
June 16th, 2009, 06:34 AM

I agree with looking at statues. Don't let todays sickly standards bring your nose down ;) But I know it's hard.

I also have some of the issues you are having, I love love love my bangs for that reason. They hide my high forehead and brings focus to my cheekbones instead of the nose. I don't think having oily skin would be a problem, just wash your bangs every morning if you have to. I'd say go for bangs, just take your time deciding on what style of bangs you want to get the most of it.

Honestwitness
June 16th, 2009, 06:37 PM
Reddishrocks, you wrote..."I would love to see some photos when you get the chance. It would be much easier if I just did it myself... my hair grows really fast when I don't want it to, and not at all when I'm watching."

I have now added an album that shows pics of how I cut my bangs and face-framing layers. Just go to my profile and you'll see the album. I hope this helps you.

By the way, I think your nose is very beautiful. It has a lovely shape. We all have things about our looks that we don't like. I think my nose is too rounded, bulbous and a bit too large.

I remember once reading about Barbra Streisand and how she felt about her nose. She considered plastic surgery at one point, but decided against it. Her doctors advised her that if they changed her face that much, it would detract from her ability to make such lovely sounds when she sings. The larger nose meant she was able to make a very distinctive sound, with the sounds resonating through her sinus and nasal cavities. I think she did the smart thing by leaving well enough alone.

ReddishRocks
June 16th, 2009, 07:44 PM
BIG love to everyone who complimented my nose. :) You are all so sweet. Honestwitness pointed out that we all have things that about ourselves that make us uncomfortable... and my forehead/nose (uh... and thighs! LOL!) are what I think about. I mean, I wouldn't change what I have, but I know there are ways to accentuate my best features! And I suppose I really do have a rather Romanesque nose... I think my mother even said that once. Gotta love mothers!!!

Thanks for all the love. :) I'll post photos after I do/get the cut. (I haven't decided if I'm going to do it or if I'm going to have my stylist do it! I might just be too chicken...)

CaraLynn
June 16th, 2009, 08:56 PM
Hey, I hear you on the proboscis woes! I have one myself, just too vain to post a pic of it. :D (yours is far better than mine, I think it's nice lookin')
If I do a bun higher on the crown of my head it seems to make it look less protruding...maybe that's just wistful thinking though. I have a few wispies cut around the side of my face too.

Demetrue
June 16th, 2009, 09:14 PM
RR - your forehead nose and chin look like they are in perfect proportion to your face. You look like a Raphaelite painting - which is GOOD! I would just have 3 face framing curls on each side of your part, in graduated lengths, like cheekbone, jaw, shoulder, that you can leave out when you wear your hair up - and you can always do a "pouf" at the front hairline which would look like faux bangs. Just don't pull the front severely off your face - fasten the front of your hair loosely behind the crown with a barrette, then do the up-do.

Babyfine
June 17th, 2009, 11:11 AM
Reddishrocks-
First of all I don't think you have a large nose or forehead at all!
I love your curls!!

I know what you mean about the updo thing, though.
I really don't like myself in updo's most of the time. I'm still experimenting with
getting more volume, height on the top of my head with updos. I had face framing layers cut in- which helps but they do take away from overall volume when my hair gets longer than shoulder-length
I don't like myself in updo's for the same reason I don't like cropped hair on myself.
Not only my face shape(roundish with a sagging jawline) but my super- small shoulders in comparison to the lower half of my body seem to need the balancing of hair around my shoulders. I don't like my neck or shoulders so I always try to wear collared shirts when I wear updos. Body shape aside- the slicked backed tight bunned look on me is not a good look.

zen_oven
June 17th, 2009, 11:36 AM
Aw, you have a gorgeous face! I don't think you have a big nose at all.

I feel your pain on the updos, though. I don't think I look good with one. I also look a bit. . . lost. . . if I don't have some face-framing fringe. I have a tiny face and a lot of thick hair, so I tend to "hide" without it. I don't do updos often, but if I do I just pull some of my fringe out of it so I've got some whispies.

WelshLocks
June 17th, 2009, 01:45 PM
Like everyone else has said on this thread, you are NOT in any way manly. You have beautiful red hair and a gorgeous smile. I am totally with you on the updos bit there but I was googling(is that a verb now?) and found a few pictures you could try to imitate.
I love the fact that you have curls like that and so when I was looking I was searching for curly styles.These are all just for inspiration. I'm not sure if you should get bangs full on but maybe some fringe like some of these girls do. :)

http://media.photobucket.com/image/elegant%20updos/be_byte6/Hair%20-%20Updos/HAIR-updo7096.jpg
obviously there are a crap-load of bobby pins in her hair and lots of hairspray but you can work around that.

http://www.hairstyles-haircuts.net/wp-content/uploads/2008/08/taylor-swift-updo.jpg
taylor swift has lovely curly hair and does really pretty styles. Look through her pictures
http://www.wedding-tips.co.za/images/hairstyle1.jpg

Igor
June 18th, 2009, 02:38 AM
A couple of suggestions:
Play around with partings. They can make a big difference. A “default” one that works well for most people is to end your parting above the highest part of your eyebrow. It brings subtle attention to your eyes
Feminine little clips or bobby pins

:wink:

bugeyedmonster2
June 18th, 2009, 03:10 AM
Have you seen this? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_OlAxiPIK0&feature=related

She does a side bun with some pinned curls and a bit of a poof. (And I love the doorbell that sounds in the middle of the filming. lol!)

(^_^)/
BEM

flapjack
June 18th, 2009, 04:50 AM
Okay, I must be nuts, because I'm seeing a really cute and feminine girl, here. Not seeing the manliness at all.

But if you need new ideas, I second Igor's suggestion about changing up your part. That can really change the focus on your face, if that's what you want. Cutting a few pieces to chin and collarbone length is also a popular idea that I see a lot of girls doing.

I really do think that masculine and big nose thing is all in your head, though. Your nose is actually thinner than average, if anything.

Saisaisayonara
June 18th, 2009, 07:40 AM
You are not manly at all! And your hair is gorgeous, but I understand your want of getting some bits to frame your face, I want them too!

I just think they give a softer look :)

ReddishRocks
June 18th, 2009, 11:29 AM
Like everyone else has said on this thread, you are NOT in any way manly. You have beautiful red hair and a gorgeous smile. I am totally with you on the updos bit there but I was googling(is that a verb now?) and found a few pictures you could try to imitate.
I love the fact that you have curls like that and so when I was looking I was searching for curly styles.These are all just for inspiration. I'm not sure if you should get bangs full on but maybe some fringe like some of these girls do. :)

http://media.photobucket.com/image/elegant%20updos/be_byte6/Hair%20-%20Updos/HAIR-updo7096.jpg
obviously there are a crap-load of bobby pins in her hair and lots of hairspray but you can work around that.

http://www.hairstyles-haircuts.net/wp-content/uploads/2008/08/taylor-swift-updo.jpg
taylor swift has lovely curly hair and does really pretty styles. Look through her pictures
http://www.wedding-tips.co.za/images/hairstyle1.jpg

I'm gathering photos to show my stylist, and that picture of Taylor Swift is one of the ones I'm taking. :) Thanks so much for looking those up!!

ReddishRocks
June 18th, 2009, 11:31 AM
RR - your forehead nose and chin look like they are in perfect proportion to your face. You look like a Raphaelite painting - which is GOOD! I would just have 3 face framing curls on each side of your part, in graduated lengths, like cheekbone, jaw, shoulder, that you can leave out when you wear your hair up - and you can always do a "pouf" at the front hairline which would look like faux bangs. Just don't pull the front severely off your face - fasten the front of your hair loosely behind the crown with a barrette, then do the up-do.
Now you're going to make me cry. :) Thank you so much for the lovely compliment!

What kind of barrette would you suggest? I'm afraid of snagging my hair... my curls tend to catch on stuff. :o I threw out a bunch of barrettes a year or two ago when I found my hair wrapping around them and getting caught.

ReddishRocks
June 18th, 2009, 11:35 AM
A couple of suggestions:
Play around with partings. They can make a big difference. A “default” one that works well for most people is to end your parting above the highest part of your eyebrow. It brings subtle attention to your eyes
Feminine little clips or bobby pins

:wink:
Thank you for the suggestions! I have a pretty severe cowlick that causes my hair to part in pretty much the same place... although I think I could move it a bit over so it's at my brow arch - the more I think about it, the more I think I can make it happen! I just have to be careful about splitting my curls... Thank you!!

embee
June 18th, 2009, 11:36 AM
You might consider fancy earrings, and leave your hair alone. It's hard to look manly with dangling flowers and gold beads and stuff.... :) I have a pair of earrings that looks like curls, in gold. They're so pretty and feminine... and about 3 inches long.

If you do earrings, you won't have to fuss with growing out shorter side pieces. I grew out bangs, and it took about forever.

ReddishRocks
June 18th, 2009, 11:38 AM
Have you seen this? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_OlAxiPIK0&feature=related

She does a side bun with some pinned curls and a bit of a poof. (And I love the doorbell that sounds in the middle of the filming. lol!)

(^_^)/
BEM
I LOVE all the girls with the Apostolic styles! I'd seen that video before, but I'd forgotten about it. Thank you!

ARGH... to cut or not to cut... My appointment was schedule for Saturday, but I'm going to put it off for another week. No hurry, no pressure. :)

Spike
June 18th, 2009, 11:40 AM
I, too, have a FIVEhead. Adding a little height to my updos seems to help, oddly enough. It's like skinning the hair back tightly accentuates the bony parts, where a little softness of hair makes it blend in better.

I'd kill for your nose, frankly. The pic you posted (in profile) has such lovely definition, like a cameo. You have enough chin to balance your nose, so your face is just strong-boned. A classic womanly face.

My nose is short and pug-like, so as I age, and the cartelige keeps growing, the tip is becoming rather bulbous. I'd love to have more bone in the bridge to keep the proportions better aligned.