PDA

View Full Version : What washing works for you?

klcqtee
June 15th, 2009, 07:36 PM
I don't know if this thread existed at one time, but I thought it would be good if a thread was started that went through the pros and cons of each type of washing (CO, WO, no poo). It could help some of us still trying to figure out what will work on our hair type.

Sorry if this is in the wrong forum!

So I'll start I suppose. I'm cheap, so I use whatever is on sale. I've only used cone products, but my hair likes it, aside from sometimes being a little crunchy at the ends. I've found Henna also keeps my hair from frizzing out.

Fractalsofhair
June 15th, 2009, 07:42 PM
I like Alaffia, it's soap based. My hair is very damaged, but has felt much better since using it and going cone free. It's pretty moisturizing and I have very fine hair, but very dry. Shampoo bars work fine on my hair if I use coconut milk before and a WV/ACV rinse after, a little drying for my scalp.

bahannas
June 15th, 2009, 07:46 PM
I shampoo once or twice a week with CO's in between. I'm a conehead and love alternating products. Right now I'm loving the Aussie Sydney Smooth 'poo and 'dish along with the 3MM. :D

Dars
June 15th, 2009, 07:50 PM
I have been S/C'ing with sulfate shampoo and coney conditioner all my life. It "worked" for me but LHC has encouraged me to step away from sulfate shampoo and I've decided to try out cone free conditioners. I'm starting CO from my next wash, possibly tomorrow. I am so excited because I've been using this cone free conditioner for a week or so now and have been noticing more damage showing up. I'm S&D'ing that now and hope that my hairs condition will improve without the use of sulfate shampoo. I'm using Natural Instinct, and will definitely look at a cheaper cone free conditioner! I wish VO5 was cone free in Australia :(

AJoifulNoise
June 15th, 2009, 07:56 PM
I have a weekly schedule...

Friday: Shampoo (with sulphates) and condition (with heavy, coney conditioner)
Saturday: No wash, wear hair down
Sunday: CO with Herbal Essences
Monday: Shampoo (with Dairy Whip, no sulphates) and condition (with heavy, coney conditioner)
Tuesday-Thursday: CO with Herbal Essences

I am a fan of silicones, sulphates, and coconut oil. That's my routine.

ChrissieM
June 15th, 2009, 07:57 PM
I've never really analyzed what works and what doesn't for my hair before I found this forum, but now I know that shampoo/conditioner with cones are horrible for me. It turns out all the shampoos that I've tried in the past and didn't like are full of them. So that's good to know. I've only really started experimenting with different washing methods, but right now I'm trying to do CO-washing a few times a week to stretch out the time between shampoos. I'm using a solid shampoo from Lush right now that I really like. I washed Sat., skipped Sun, and CO-washed today. I might just wet my hair tomorrow or wash my bangs....I had my hair up all day so it's still really clean and soft.

Longlocks3
June 15th, 2009, 07:59 PM
..... I wish VO5 was cone free in Australia :(

It isn't? I find that strange that the contents vary from place to place!

I CO, everyday. I'm cone free and I do S&Ding a couple of times a week for like 5 minutes at a time.

I've never colored or permed, ever! Good thing I'm too lazy to do anything to it.

ecologystudent
June 15th, 2009, 07:59 PM
It seems to do really well with water only washes (or just going a few times between washes) for the most part, with the occasional CO and vinegar rinse. Yay for low-maintenance hair!

Dars
June 15th, 2009, 08:06 PM
It isn't? I find that strange that the contents vary from place to place!

I CO, everyday. I'm cone free and I do S&Ding a couple of times a week for like 5 minutes at a time.

I've never colored or permed, ever! Good thing I'm too lazy to do anything to it.
Yeah sadly. :(

That's another thing about CO which makes me happy. I only wash my hair twice a week when I used the sulfate shampoo because I felt guilty. Conditioner is all good though (but I have read some people experience increased shedding). I don't think I could CO everyday because of this mentality but perhaps every second day if I felt it needed it.:cheese:

Benign neglect (I think that's the term here) is awesome isn't it?

Elphie
June 15th, 2009, 08:11 PM
I CWC with cone-free Suave Coconut or Palmers Olive Oil S & C. At least once a week (sometimes more often now that the weather is warmer) I CO with Suave coconut.

Once in a while I use a coney conditioner for L'Occitaine. I'm not crazy about what it does for my hair but it smells awesome...and it's too expensive for me to trash it. :cheese:

JamieLeigh
June 15th, 2009, 08:24 PM
I grew up using sulfate shampoos and silicone conditioners, and my hair did just fine. HOWEVER. I've been CO on cone-free Suave Naturals tropical coconut for 6 months now, and my hair likes it even better. :) I also use coconut oil on the length only (not scalp) once a week, and occasionally I substitute in Giovanni's Tea Tree Triple Treat cone-free conditioner in place of my Suave. Once a month I do a honey/Suave condish deep treatment, and twice a month I clarify with Suave Clarifying shampoo, very diluted.

It looks like a lot when you write it out like that, but honestly I'm doing less for my hair than I ever did, and I think it's grateful to be left alone. ;)

GlassEyes
June 15th, 2009, 08:37 PM
I CO everyday with various cheap conditioners. Currently, I like Suave Clarifying (not because the conditioner clarifies, but because it is thick while having the shortest ingredients list XD), GVP conditioning balm, and V05 Key Lime Squeeze.

dragonfrog
June 15th, 2009, 08:45 PM
I haven't tried CO, WO, or anything like that yet.
But my hair LOVES no sulphates/no 'cones.
I unknowingly switched long before I found LHC, because my local Costco had Giovanni Tea Tree Triple Treat shampoo & conditioner (man, do I wish they still carried it). Well, it turned out to be the perfect shampoo for my hair... my hair was so happy and tangle-free I could skip conditioning whenever I felt like it, and I was able to stretch my hair washing from every 2-3 days to every 4-5 days (yes, I stretched my hairwashing before LHC... I'm lazy :) ).
Really, my hair is so happy with sulphate-free shampoo and cone-free conditioner that I'm not very tempted to change my routine.

Aries_jb
June 15th, 2009, 09:03 PM
My hair works best with a routine of CV bars, ACV rinses, and cone-free conditioner. It takes awhile to do this regimen, so I usually stretch out my washings. I also have some sulfate-free shampoos like Giovanni 50/50 and Abba Gentle (my fav) that I use when I'm in a hurry and want to wash my hair quickly.

I used to use cones and sulfates, and my hair looked fine, but it felt like plastic and I needed to layer on gobs of several different styling products to make my hair look its best. During that time I felt that my hair was "difficult". Then when I changed my routine I realized that my hair looks best with minimal interference on my part. Just a little leave-in and a little cone-free gel is all I need.

Teacherbear
June 15th, 2009, 09:09 PM
I wash twice a week. Once is usually a CWCC, the other is a CO. For CO I use some VO5 conditioner, I think I have a lavender one right now. The CWCC is Giovanni products.

JKRBeloved
June 15th, 2009, 09:50 PM
I've been loving wearing my hair down and wurlie lately, and I love washing with CO every morning after I exercise, scrunch with various leave-ins, use a hair stick to lift up crown layers, and sometimes use a diffuser with warm, gentle air for about 3-4 minutes.

rose_in_bloom
June 15th, 2009, 09:52 PM
Aubrey Organics S&Cs are my favorite products ever. But they're pricey, so I just buy them occasionally. I'm trying to use soap-based shampoos exclusively (shampoo bars, etc) but hey, if they don't end up working out I'm not going to worry about it. I'll just go back to my usual Suave/VO5 stuff with the occasional Herbal Essence thrown in. :)

shakin_m
June 15th, 2009, 10:22 PM
I CWC but I think it's a little bit different. I wet hair, use suave from the ears down, then use deva curl no-poo on scalp area (saves money-that stuff's $$$-but I love it) let sit for a few minutes then rinse it all out, then condition from the ears down with a good conditioner, right now switch between using Joico and one conditioner from deva curl. I quick rinse that out and every so often use clarifying shampoo when I think I'm not liking my hair, seems to keep me from getting fed up and cutting it:) cuz after using it, it feels great!

shakin_m
June 15th, 2009, 10:25 PM
PS- tried for close to 2 yrs to be cone free, but hair was horrendous!!! lost inches cuz it was either brittle or snarly. guess my hair likes cones. I am a no sulfate user too

hennaphile
June 15th, 2009, 10:26 PM
Wash every day! Occasionally CO.

OhioLisa
June 15th, 2009, 11:06 PM
Shampoo bars mostly, with a natural poo and Giovanni conditioner thrown in once a week or so. CO makes my hair lank and icky (technical term :silly:). WO and SO do NOT appeal in the slightest.

RancheroTheBee
June 15th, 2009, 11:10 PM
I used to CO, until summer hit. I absolutely cannot go without shampoo in the summer, at all.

Right now, I use shampoo bars and cone-free condish either once a day (if it's humid) or every other day. The heat is upping my sebum production, so it's all good.

RocketDog
June 15th, 2009, 11:14 PM
I don't really follow any set routine... sometimes I do an overnight soak with honey/conditioner/oil, sometimes I soak with just oil, sometimes I don't soak at all before wash day. If I oil, I go straight into scrubbing my scalp with shampoo, but if I don't oil I apply conditioner from the ears down before shampooing. I rotate between Whole Foods peppermint shampoo and Nature's Gate biotin shampoo, and I only use Whole Foods peppermint conditioner - it keeps my fine, dry, curly hair from tangling but doesn't weigh it down or make it look oily.

Jinx2234
June 15th, 2009, 11:17 PM
I CO wash with VO5 twice a week, followed by an ACV rinse and then a little bit of coconut oil. Lately I've been trying to encourage my waves, so I rub some oil and aloe vera gel in my hair after washing and kind of gently scrunch my curls. About once a month or so, I do a SMT. It seems like this routine works better than anything else I've tried. My hair seems better than it was when I was using normal shampoo and conditioner.

Honey39
June 15th, 2009, 11:23 PM
I CO-wash almost every day. I've been doing that for over a year now, and it really really works for me. I use a cheap cone-free conditioner (Tesco coconut or tea tree oil conditioner for £1.00), and I almost always use a fairly expensive/high-quality leave-in coneless conditioner. Sometimes I put jojoba oil or coconut oil onto damp hair before adding the leave-in.

For me, I'm delighted with my routine because of the speed of it. My hair really likes it, and it's just the one 'wash' my hair gets in the shower, which is great in the mornings! I've used CO for over a year, and it always seems to have a pretty good effect. Sometimes I think my hair is getting a bit lifeless, so about once a month/six weeks I wash my hair with clarifying shampoo, and that perks it right up.

I like a deep treatment once a week - usually olive oil, but at the moment, am besotted with honey added to conditioner, which gives amazing results.

I suppose I have a few goals for my hair - I want to wear it down the majority of the time (although am wearing it up a couple of times a week now); I want the curls to be fresh and happy, and so want to be able to wash it most days without any hassle. I want to see how long I can get it and still carry on dying it (I have a lot of low lights put through it to cover the greys). Since joining LHC, I am delighted at my progress - it's grown about 8 inches in the last year, and I've trimmed about two inches overall. It's still in great condition (for me!), but as soon as I think it gets to a length where it suffers from the dye, I will make just above that my fixed length and maintain there. So far, it's mid-back when curly, and looking good, so I'll keep going. I'm thinking I might be able to get to waist when curly and keep dying, but I'm really not sure.

Sorry, turned into a ramble, lol - CO washing is the best for me!

teela1978
June 15th, 2009, 11:42 PM
I wash 3-4 times a week with suave shampoo (whatever flavor I happen to buy at the time). Sometimes I dilute it, sometimes I don't. Conditioner is usually somewhat coney.

ETA: I suppose it might be worth mentioning that I find the ALS in suave to work very well with the hard water in my area. It also does a good job on my very oily scalp... plus it's really cheap.

may1em
June 16th, 2009, 12:03 AM
I usually shampoo and conditioner. I've found that my scalp cannot abide sulfates (so many flakes!), but if I get buildup on the length, then a little SLS action will get that off.

I like the idea of CO, but the only conditioner I've ever had great success with was Suave daily clarifying, which smells like a rotting flower bouquet crossed with Flonase, and even that only worked if I used a vinegar rinse on my scalp while the Suave was still on it. CO does not do my fine hair any favors - it mostly plasters it to my head. Usually I use Queen Helene Mint Julep, but I've been experimenting with some other stuff lately. Giovanni Golden Wheat was a disappointing fail, and VitaminShampoo turned out to be ok.

I still will CO every now and again with V05 Vanilla Mint Tea, but it doesn't last as long as a good wash.

My hair can take cones or leave them, but since I don't use sulfates often, I stay away. For the most part. My newest shampoo has dimethicone copolyol, but since it's water soluble and used so that the 'poo is easier to distribute, I don't care. I also just bought a deep treatment with dimethicone, but it's pretty far down on the ingredients list. If it gives me buildup, that's what I keep the VO5 shampoo around for (haven't used it yet...).

My favorite no-cone conditioners are Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose and Kiss My Face Whenever green tea and lime.

So, I use a gentle shampoo on the roots and a no-cone conditioner on the length and ends. Sometimes I concentrate the heavy duty stuff on the ends and use the V05 on the length.

I used to buy separate leave-ins until I realized my shower conditioners worked great for that, too.

Today I did WO on my scalp only after a run, and my hair is limp and my scalp is itchy. I'm not going to be repeating this experiment.

Maybe in the future I'll look into shampoo bars, but not anytime real soon.

Cassi
June 16th, 2009, 12:08 AM
I tried shampooing every 7 days and stretched it to 15 days with ACV rinses in between. That didn't work. I switched CO every 2nd or 3rd day with Burt's Bees Raspberry. My hair is dry and I am trying to get it moisturized better. I am also trying catnip tea soaks and soon will try honey/molasses to get extra softness/moisture I hope. I think ACV was drying me more so I do it maybe once or twice a month. I haven't figured out what I want to do for deep conditioning yet.

ericthegreat
June 16th, 2009, 12:14 AM
My normal routine is to do a CO rinsing of my hair everyday or every 2 days. Years ago(like back in 2004) I was a slave to the old shampoo/conditioner cycle and always noticed my ends getting far drier and drier. I am so glad I came upon and lurked on long hair care boards such as this, it really improved the condition of my hair like night and day. I never believed you could keep you scalp and hair clean with only conditioner, but I thought why not take a crazy dare and try it. I have never look back since.

I have literally dozens of brands of conditioners ranging from cheap and under $3 to the expensive ones like Frederic Fekkai and Paul Mitchell. I only indulge in the expensive brands when I really need to deep treat my hair, I will slather say the Frederic Fekkai on my locks and leave it in for hours while I go about the rest of my day and then rinse it out that night. My hair believe it or not responds well to silicones so I include them in my deep treatments. All that being said, I still like using the "no cones" method because its so much cheaper!
The cheap ones I use for regular everyday rinsing are all from Suave. I have the Mountain Strawberry, Cucumber, and Tropical Coconut varieties from Suave's Natural line. I also recent bought White Rain Fruit Fortifying Conditioner in the lime green bottle and have had fantastic results using it. Both the Suave and the White Rain cost within $2 each which is a steal when it comes to good hair care!

Chanterelle
June 16th, 2009, 12:50 AM
I experimented a lot after joining LHC only to find out that SLES shampoo and coney conditioner work best for me. LOL.

jezebel17
June 16th, 2009, 03:19 PM
Im cone free and CWC every 2-3 days with Vo5 shampoo and conditioner. I had to quit Co because it was making me shed more than usually. I rinse my hair realy good with water in between washes to get out any gel that I used that day.I use jojoba oil on my length and S&D regularly.

demitasse
June 16th, 2009, 03:34 PM
I tried CO washing for awhile but it just didn't work for me. I do scalp washes daily with an SLS shampoo and then use a cone-free conditioner. I've gone back and forth between cones and no cones but I think I might have finally kicked them for good with the help of coconut oil. SLS has never done any damage to my hair or scalp so I'm sticking with it.

janeytilllie
June 16th, 2009, 03:41 PM
I CWC once a week or every 5 days. I use cone free and SLS free shampoos and conditioners. This method so far has worked the best for me :)

Things I have tried

* Cones and SLS. The SLS really upset my scalp. And the cones were really heavy on my hair

*WO. This didn't go so well. My scalp became itchy.

* Shampoo bar/soap. This method did work very well for a while. But my ends lost moisture and became dry. It was great on the scalp area, not so good on my ends.

So far the CWC cone free/ SLS free is working great for my hair type :D I also oil daily and use shea butter as a deep conditioner.

mwedzi
June 16th, 2009, 03:46 PM
I wash once a week. Since I do it so infrequently, I almost always use shampoo when I wash, though it isn't always a sulfate shampoo. I also condition at that time. Every 2nd - 3rd time I'll use a deep conditioner instead of the plain conditioner.

I tried cowashing but that only works if I'm washing more than once a week for some reason, e.g. if I'm actually working out. I just can't seem to go much more than a week without shampoo. If I cowash that week's wash day, by the middle of the next week, my head will be itching like crazy.

watermelon
June 16th, 2009, 03:54 PM
I wash my hair every other day since I work out a lot and I can't let it go too long between washes, although I wish I could go longer. I use Organix Pomegranate & Green Tea shampoo and conditioner. I oil the ends of my hair only, because it seems the driest. For oiling, I use organic jojoba oil.

However, I want to try Chagrin Valley's shampoo bars so badly. I don't want to use commercial shampoo and conditioner but I just get it because it's convenient and I'm going to stop that habit very soon.

:blossom:

swirlytresses
June 16th, 2009, 06:13 PM
I "wash" every other day. I alternate between Dairy whip, whipped soap, shampoo/soap bars and CO washing. I have been sulfate and cone free since October of last year and my hair has never been healthier or happier. I tried so many brands of shampoo's, conditioners, stylers...all ended up in the garbage. I realize now that it was the cones and sulfates. I have a variety of condtioners- Vo5, suave, giovanni, l'oreal, GVP matrix conditioning balm..and a few more. I also have a variety of stylers that work well in my hair. :)

Ahimsa
June 16th, 2009, 10:01 PM
This might sound like a silly question, but what is "cone"?

rose_in_bloom
June 16th, 2009, 10:07 PM
This might sound like a silly question, but what is "cone"?

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=13

That's an article about cones. It pretty much explains everything. :)

amandasmith911
June 16th, 2009, 10:32 PM
CO and CWC

I am kinda new. I think my hair is a mix 2a and a little 2b maybe.It's coarse and medium texture with high porisity ends and medium porisity towards the scalp. It is ii thickness. It is bra strap length. My hair is chemically dyed dark brown, roots only (to camaflouge the stress highlights) every 6-8 weeks.Now I am dying over top coconut oil, which seemed to work great. My last two or three inches of ends are bleached Blonde that is covered with brown dye now. The ends are actually in pretty good shape for what they have been through, just porus.

I used to wash with whatever and had no idea about ingreednets. For the last 3 or 4 weeks i have gone cone free and I have more wave/curl now =). I have been CO washing with suave every two to three days and sometimes biolage condish balm on the ends. I have been cwc about once a week. I have also been using a coan free leave in condish and misting water on my hair daily and doing DT's once a week. And i am still trying to decide on my favorite oil.

My hair seems really happy and shiny. I did have to get a 1 1/2 in cut two weeks ago because of mega white dot, splits-ville, but... i believe that was the damage the coans were letting hid in my hair.

Amanda

My

Neddy
June 16th, 2009, 11:05 PM
I CO wash every time I shower with a cone free conditioner.... call me crazy but my hair likes it. I will use a shampoo bar every other day or 3 days in the summer, and once a week in the winter. My curls are much nicer when I CO wash, but I think I'm just addicted to the Chagrin Valley bars.... they make my hair feel so good!

Saisaisayonara
June 17th, 2009, 06:45 AM
I CWC every 3 days. I only started a few weeks ago when I was lurking here, and my hair feels and looks way nicer now. I still have to experiment with different types though...theres a lot to try!

brunette
June 17th, 2009, 07:05 AM
Am I the first person to mention Indian Herbs?
I could not get on with synthetics aka shampoos and conditioners, I tried sulphate free for a while and CO washing but none of them seem natural enough to use on the human body. I suffered terribly with very hard sebum which looked like dandruff but wasn't. It couldn't move down the hair for natural conditioning, even when I tried daily WO it was very difficult at the time, I just ended up with clumpy roots that didn't look very nice.
I've been using Indian Herbs (Amla, Brahmi and Shikakai) since Feb 2005 and it sorted my scalp out!

Pixna
June 17th, 2009, 07:54 AM
I shampoo and condition once a week with Aubrey Organics (http://www.aubreyorganics.com) products. I spray on an AO leave-in, both when my hair is wet and when my hair is dry. I prefer only pure, natural products (no cones, no synthetics). My hair and scalp did not do well with CO or CWC.

rhubarbarin
June 17th, 2009, 08:21 AM
I S+C. I CO washed for years.. but had breakage from cone overload. Then when I switched to cone-free I had problems with greasiness/lankness/odor/itching/frizz. S+C is working great for me now. I usually wash every other day, sometimes every 2-3 days.

Shampoo is whatever is cheap and cone-free. Conditioners are all natural (Aubrey Organics, Trader Joe's brand, Burt's Bees), and cone-and-protein free.

sagebabies
June 17th, 2009, 08:56 AM
I use a shampoo bar once or twice a week. condition with Aubrey organics honeysuckle rose. If I feel like I need a wash inbetween I do co, but I do not rub conditioner into my scalp or I get itchy and gross.

LilyMunster
June 17th, 2009, 09:11 AM
Every other day CO twice. First w light conditioner, 2 minutes, rinse. Then heavy conditoner 5 minutes, rinse. DT every weekEnd. Shampoo diluted every 2 weeks.

kdaniels8811
June 17th, 2009, 09:49 AM
I also use Indian herbs like Brunette pretty much exclusively, along with catnip soaks for conditioning. I have had to clarify once in the last six months and my hair is soft and silky so herbs work for me. Shampoo dries my hair out too much and conditioner weighs it down. Herbs are "just right".

bellawave
June 21st, 2009, 01:16 PM
In the warm humid seasons I shampoo every other day with a very mild shampoo (Walgreens brand Clear & Natural for sensitive scalp). Condition the ends only if they've been feeling dry, usually with Pantene Moisture Renewal or similar.

In the cold dry seasons I use the same products, only I condition all of my hair. I alternate with WO if it's especially dry.

Heavenly Locks
June 21st, 2009, 01:19 PM
I CO only, no clarifying ever :)

I wash 2-3 times a week and oil occasionally. Simple!

VanillaTresses
June 21st, 2009, 01:21 PM
Washing methods that have generally worked for me:

CWC (condition, wash, condition)**
SC (shampoo, condition)**
Shampoo followed by light oiling**
Heavy oiling followed by shampoo
Shampoo only (2-in-1)
Shampoo bars

Washing methods that DID NOT work for me:

CO (condition only) -- scalp got insanely itchy after a couple of weeks

Washing methods I have not yet tried, but would be willing to try:

WO (water only)
Herb washes

**indicates washing methods with best results for me

redcelticcurls
June 21st, 2009, 02:36 PM
I guess it varies.

For my scalp, I either water wash, or CO wash for the most part. I have a Low-poo type if cleanser that I use when needed, which ends up being once or twice a month.

If I am getting my hair wet, it is getting conditioner. I can't go from wet hair to dry hair without separating the curls, and I need conditioner for that. My arsenal for that consists of conditioners from Aubrey Organics, Curl Junkie, and Kinky Curly. My hair itself doesn't seem to get to a point where it needs the low-poo.

swanns
June 21st, 2009, 02:40 PM
I've been on LHC for over a year but haven't managed to create a nice routine that works for me. I do oilings, but don't really know if they've changed the quality of my hair at all. Same goes for ACV rinses. I've been planning to try CO but haven't got around to try it yet. I do use cones, but moderately. I have this nagging voice in my subconscious telling me to get rid of them. I will one day!

Roseate
June 21st, 2009, 05:00 PM
I CWC with very diluted nonsulfate shampoo once a week.

I've been increasing the dilution to the point where it is very nearly all water, currently I use about 1/2 tsp in a 4oz bottle of water. It still foams up for me and makes my scalp feel happy, so that's good. 1st c is currently VO5 or Suave, 2nd is AOHR.

If I wet my hair again during the week I'll do a quick CO with VO5 or Suave, followed by AOHR on the ends.

Ash
June 21st, 2009, 09:56 PM
My current routine is to CWC M/W/F, CO T/Th/Sat and Sun is an experimental day or another CO. All products used are non chemical.
I used to CWC daily and that worked well also.

Things that I tried and didn't work for me:
CO - made my hair really heavy and greasy on top and it started falling out in small clumps
Baking soda/ACV - I tried it once, several clumps of hair came out while I was still in the shower, very upsetting
WO on alternating days - Made my hair too dry and I couldn't get a comb through it
Herb washing - scalp feels great but hair gets too dry, even if I strain everything
Stretching time between washings - Greasy scalp, crispy hair, zits all over edges of face and on scalp. No thanks.

concrescence
June 22nd, 2009, 01:14 AM
I CO wash every to every other day with Alvede Aloe Hibiscus conditioner, which is cone-free. Now that it's warmer and I'm working out more frequently, it's closer to every day. Occasionally, I do a CWC with Lush Cynthia Silvia Stout shampoo and Lush American Cream conditioner and/or the Alvede.

I wish Germany had a more varied choice of cone-free, inexpensive conditioners. I've tried one of the cone-free Shauma varieties and Garnier Natural Birke-Vanilla, but my hair didn't really like either one. I think my hair doesn't do well with humectants. Shauma had panthenol and Garnier had glycerin pretty high up on the ingredient list. The Alvede is more than €2 for a 250ml bottle. That can add up when you CO! Oh how I miss being able to buy things in American-sized quantities (usually 2-4x what you can find here)!

meph
June 22nd, 2009, 03:43 AM
I do S/C with a shampoo that contains sulfates and a condish that contains cones. I've tried to go cone-free but my hair didn't like it.
I haven't tried other types of washing yet because my hair is happy with my current routine, so I don't see a reason to change it.

Poppy Seed
June 22nd, 2009, 04:02 AM
Once a week on Sundays: shampoo the scalp area rinse and condition the length. I leave the conditioner a good while before rinsing.

Products - at present - are the Avalon Organics Lemon & Shea Butter Shampoo which I'm using every 3rd week since it's a clarifying conditioner. I just liked the smell!!! The other weeks I'm using another cheap brand, the Palm Olive Naturals range at the moment.

My hair doesn't like being without cones (it's dyed) and again, I just use whatever conditioner gave me best value for money volume-wise at the supermarket. Right now, it's a Schwartzkopf. (I don't much like Pantene though, so I tend not to get that).

After washing I'll apply sweet almond oil to the length, especially the ends.

Otherwise, I'll do a water only scalp wash if I gte REALLY hot and sweaty mid-week.

Kirin
June 22nd, 2009, 06:12 AM
I've tried just about every method, and returned to good ol' shampoo and condition daily. Currently I'm using Finesse, I don't see myself changing that anytime in the next year.

FullMoonTrim
June 22nd, 2009, 06:15 AM
I like Alaffia, it's soap based. My hair is very damaged, but has felt much better since using it and going cone free. It's pretty moisturizing and I have very fine hair, but very dry. Shampoo bars work fine on my hair if I use coconut milk before and a WV/ACV rinse after, a little drying for my scalp.
I have been hearing good things about Alaffia. I would like to try it.

JKRBeloved
June 22nd, 2009, 08:40 AM
I've been on LHC for over a year but haven't managed to create a nice routine that works for me.
Wow, Swanns! I just noticed the amazing changes your hair has gone through in your siggy picture. Whatever you are doing seems to be working there!

swanns
June 22nd, 2009, 04:03 PM
Wow, Swanns! I just noticed the amazing changes your hair has gone through in your siggy picture. Whatever you are doing seems to be working there!

Thank you :o I'm afraid the only thing I've been doing right is not letting scissors anywhere near my head (except for the occasional trim)! I am working on a better routine, trust me!

zen_oven
June 22nd, 2009, 04:23 PM
When I found LHC a year ago, I started with CWC and have stuck with it since! I'm a wurly, so that really seems to do it for me since it means lots of conditioning and keeping shampoo off my length for the most part. I gave up cones and SLS and that has been helpful--my hair likes cheap V05 or Suave conditioner. I've had fun trying the different scents--luckily hubby doesn't care what he uses on his hair. I've washed it with water only a few times and it did okay as long as I used a leave in, but it's not my method of choice.