PDA

View Full Version : naturally staight or wavy?

mommy2one05
April 9th, 2008, 01:57 PM
I would like to be able to help my hair look better since I wear it down most of the time, but how do I determine if I am naturally straight or wavy?...since I would probably get better results if I got stuff for the right type of hair.

Feisty Redhead
April 9th, 2008, 02:04 PM
This should help you out: http://www.network54.com/Forum/246853/message/1051514625/Fia%27s+Hair+Typing+System+%28what+those+numbers+a nd+letters+mean+in+our+signatures%21%29

You should type your hair after it's been freshly washed then air dried with no handling and no products in it for the most accurate typing. :)

Steve<3
April 9th, 2008, 02:06 PM
Fia's hair typing guide (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=5) will help you determine if you're a straighty or wavy :)

1nuitblanche
April 9th, 2008, 04:11 PM
I'm glad you asked this question because I have a hard time figuring this out too! My hair seems to change a lot, but maybe it's humidity/the way I sleep on it/the length (it's definitely less straight when it's shorter)?

Anje
April 9th, 2008, 06:19 PM
Fia's system is pretty universal -- I've seen it on lots of other hair-related sites around the internet.

Here it is again. The links on the top go to pictures so you can compare. (http://homepage.mac.com/annsofie.henriksson/hairtyping/Personal27.html)

Katze
April 10th, 2008, 02:13 AM
You may find that your hair changes type from week to week or day to day, then you should go with how it is overall - averaging, for example, a straight top with ringletted ends.

Many of us in the 2 category have constantly changing hairtype. 2 - wavy - can mean frizz, hair that likes/needs more moisture, etc.

If you look at my sig pic, you'd think I had straight hair, but as I type this, day 3 after a wash and SMT, my length on the right side is spiraled into a perfect double helix, and even my bangs are curly. No idea what I did to make this happen, so i just live with it (and tend to wear my hair down on those days, cause I Looooove the waves).

katze

mommy2one05
April 10th, 2008, 10:14 AM
so i type my hair after it's been washed ( does it matter with cones or no cones and s&c or co) then I put no product in it and I cannot use a comb or finger comb and then wait til dry and still dont use a comb and then type it right? Please correct me if I am wrong? So then once I determine my type then I would know whether to try to enhance my waves or straightness right?

spidermom
April 10th, 2008, 10:22 AM
Clean your hair as you normally would. When I typed my hair, I combed the conditioner through in the shower and then was very careful not to mess it around while it dried because tangles can look like waves in a picture. You want it flowing as naturally as possible.

Post a picture and people will be glad to tell you what they see.

mommy2one05
April 10th, 2008, 01:00 PM
Thanks spidermom. So I normally ( or currently) using dove shampoo and then condition with the dove conditoner and leave it on for 2-5 minutes and then rinse out. So I guess I am using cone products. Now once I get out of shower can I comb or leave as is? I will have to have my dh take pics so you all can help me figure out what I am.

Ok i am going to post pics tonight so I can type my hair. My hair is drying right now from my smt treatment I did for the first time and after I rinsed that out I combed all the tangles out and then left it loose and hot not done anything else to it. Now normally my hair is mostly staight with a little wave but after the smt which I did not use my normal cone I used a coneless co ...can not tell for sure as it is still somewhat wet but it looks straighter than normal...would that make any sense, cause I was expecting the opposite?