PDA

View Full Version : Keeping wavy hair from looking 'unbrushed'.

Heavenly Locks
June 15th, 2009, 06:22 AM
This is a weird thread I know.

Up until a recently I blow dried the waves out of my hair or I flat ironed it. *gasp* I know...BAD ME. I quit that and only blow dry my hair for special occasions and it's gently so I am not too worried about damage from that.

I am, however, not used to wearing my hair 'as is'. It's rather wavy and I'm not sure how to wear it and make it look...uh...done? I don't think I am explaining that well.

Sometimes, to me at least, a person with wavy hair just looks like they rolled out of bed with it like that or it air dried and is kind of funky. I mean, unevenly waved or kind of fuzzy? I am worried that mine will look that way.

Are there any wurly tips for me? I think I will get brave and share a photo of my hair when it's 'as is' besides my horrid hair typing one.

Lioness
June 15th, 2009, 06:39 AM
Do you mean that your hair looks a bit frizzy and the lenghts of the hair are sticking together, kinda "ropey"?

What works for me is combing, not brushing or it will end up frizzy no matter what.
Also, not using to much product in your hair will prevent the ends from hanging in strings.

I kinda like it if my hair looks like that, but minus the frizz. What i do then is just comb it and afterwards fingercomb it again while gently shaking my hand from left to right and vice versa to define the waves again.

HTH

Curlsgirl
June 15th, 2009, 07:01 AM
For me it just took some getting used to. I felt mine looked messy at first too but everyone kept complimenting me on it and it was so EASY to leave like that! Maybe you could try using a little curl cream. You might have more curl than you think. I love not having to worry about humidity or anything causing my hair to frizz since I wear mine curly 99% of the time. Also you may want to get the Curly Girl book. It's for wavies as well and helps you to embrace your waves and natural hair and it's beauty. All of these things are what helped me. It gets better trust me. It is just undoing all those years of thinking smooth, straighter hair is always better.

Sheltie_Momma
June 15th, 2009, 07:42 AM
I understand what you mean exactly. While I like my hair flowing and twisting and natural but it doesn't suit my job at a bank (imho) so I like to smooth it and make the wave a bit more uniform. I always used to wrap the bottom ten inches around a large barrelled curling iron just to make the ends look nice. Now, I comb it, lightly spray in some leave in, twist my length, coil my hair into a scrunchie bun making sure the ends are coiled and tucked with a bobby pin. Then I let it stay like that while I do my quiet time, get my babies up and carpool to work (about 2 hours total). When I take it out I just shake gently and let it fall without breaking the pattern up too much, this makes my ends fall nicely, defuzzes the frizz and makes the wave pretty uniform.

misstwist
June 15th, 2009, 07:55 AM
I know exactly what you mean. A few things that work for me.

If I mist my hair well with a leave in conditioner, comb it with a detangling comb, scrunch and then let it dry without touching it I get relatively well structured waves that don't end up looking stringy or uncombed. Sometimes mist with water and use aloe and coconut oil as the product.

Hair that is a couple days unwashed behaves better. I can finger comb it or use a very wide tooth detangling comb to neaten up my hair. Then I can take individual waves and use a narrow tooth com to shape the bottoms over my hand. A brush with nylon pins works for this, as well.

Wearing a half-up really helps with looking more finished. Recently, I've been using linzi clips to just clip hair back at around nape level. This works really well on freshly washed and scrunched hair. When I say clip it back, I mean use the thumbs to bring just the sides back and together over the center of you hair in back and clip that together, mostly leaving out the hair underneath. If your bangs are still as heavy as pictured in your avatar this might not work well for you since what I'm pulling back is basically the bang area.

Hope this helps!

LilyMunster
June 15th, 2009, 08:35 AM
If you can sleep on large sponge rollers, Sallys has huge ones that serve to smooth and straighten my curly locks. Very close to the same look as blow drying with no damage.

Teacherbear
June 15th, 2009, 09:00 AM
I learned, several years ago, that the less I handled my wavy/curly hair the more compliments I got on it. I get more compliments when I wash it, brush it out, let it air dry. As it air dries, if I am caught in wind (or sit in front of a fan) then I get TONS of compliments. But if, instead, each time I touch it it pulls more curl/wave out of it and the flatter (and hence just "messier") it gets.

It will take some experimenting with those newfound waves/curls. They are fun, though. Enjoy! :)

Aisha25
June 15th, 2009, 09:17 AM
I learned, several years ago, that the less I handled my wavy/curly hair the more compliments I got on it. I get more compliments when I wash it, brush it out, let it air dry. As it air dries, if I am caught in wind (or sit in front of a fan) then I get TONS of compliments. But if, instead, each time I touch it it pulls more curl/wave out of it and the flatter (and hence just "messier") it gets.

It will take some experimenting with those newfound waves/curls. They are fun, though. Enjoy! :)
YUp me too I learn that you cant touch them if you do the hair gets messier and messier:roll:

You can also do a loose braid and after a while my hair turns very straight with a slight wave to it, thats always a good try!

Good luck

GoddesJourney
June 15th, 2009, 09:23 AM
Mine is slightly straighter than yours, but still wavy. What I've found is that (similar to what's already mentioned) bunning it until it's "set" and then letting it down gives it a beautiful texture. If you've been straightening your hair for a long time, you're used to being very "put together", so it doesn't seem like your hair is nice unliess everything is accounted for. However (alse mentioned already), people will complement you on your hair when it looks "messy" to you.

Also, bedhead can be quite sexy. I'm a fan of the "wild woman" hair look. I've found that mine will do this by adding a little coconut oil and then braiding it. I did this yesterday because it was hot and sunny and I wanted to take my dog to the beach. It's my hassle free hot oil treatment plan, works every time. When I got home, washed my dog, and went to get in the shower, I actually had to take a few minutes to admire my hair before getting in. It's long enough now for the oiled braid waves to look amazing. Try it. You might learn to like the waves.

Also, there are better ways to straighten your hair in the articles, I think.

Babyfine
June 15th, 2009, 09:40 AM
Like the others, for me it just took getting used to as well. Iwas neither curly nor straight. I came to the board thinking I was a 1c but with good care I'm now a 2a/2b.
I used to blow dry my SL hair and use a curling iron to smooth it out.
(Or for many years I went the opposite direction and permed it to make more, even curls.) Like the others, I had a terrible time getting used to my natural texture.
Part of my problem was damage, when I came here and learned how to treat my hair better, and also bought the Curlygirl book and followed the steps there(quit using harsh shampoos) my hair improved immensely!
There are still days I don't like my hair, and I deal with frizz sometimes.
Sometimes I wish my hair was either smooth and straight, or had nice curls.

BTW I think your hair is pretty in your pictures!

angelakeats
June 15th, 2009, 10:58 AM
Check out ReddishRocks' profile.
She has links to being a 'curly girl'
Great advice!!!

patissegrietje
June 15th, 2009, 11:27 AM
I checked your album, curious about the hair typing pics! You have beautiful waves going on; mine is less wavy then yours and therefore always looks messy (straight or wavy), think i will try some of the tips you got here.

Great thread, thanks :)

may1em
June 15th, 2009, 11:46 AM
Handling it while damp creates frizz.
You can use a microfiber towel to dry (got it in the auto parts section of Target)
Damp bunning is good, too. At night, I like to zig-zag part my hair down the middle and put each side up in a mini Gibraltar bun.
Plopping used to work wonders when my hair was still above BSL.

TorrinPaige has a tutorial on YouTube where she braids damp hair in six braids (three on each side) and uses a curler on the ends to hold it and avoid the odd delineation between formerly braided hair and braid tassel.

DragonLady
June 15th, 2009, 11:53 AM
I'm still struggling to learn to deal with mine, too. If I comb them while wet, they break. If I wait 'till it dries I lose the whole wave. If I comb then spritz it with a little water some of it comes back, but overall I'm pretty lost. :(

concrescence
June 15th, 2009, 11:54 AM
I recently did a hairtyping, and realized that I'm actually in the 2 range, not the 1 range, as I had thought. (I haven't officially changed my type though, because I would like to upload some pictures and have people help me decide whether I'm a 2a or 2c. I'm confused.)
I've been used to blowdrying, and I still often blowdry my roots, because I like the lift and because I need to shower in the mornings and I feel that totally wet hair looks unprofessional. I *am* trying to airdry more, though, and it has been difficult for me to embrace my natural texture. CO has helped, as has oiling the damp ends just a bit.

And the advice about trying not to touch your hair while it dries is spot on. When I did my hairtyping, I expected to have one big rat's nest when it dried without any kind of combing, but I was completely surprised! It was the best my hair had looked in a long time! So smooth! So shiny! And I had waves and curls like I'd never seen. I would seriously do this everyday, but it took 6 hours for it to dry. It appears that any kind of combing or brushing when wet (even fingercombing) will reduce the curl. And any kind of touching will increase the frizziness. I'd love to figure out how to keep the curl and still reduce the drying time. That's now my quest!

Pixna
June 15th, 2009, 12:20 PM
Lately, I've stopped brushing completely and use ONLY a wide-tooth comb. I comb a good amount of condish through my hair after I wash it (which is only about once a week), while I'm in the shower. Then I rinse it out, wrap my hair in a turbie twist for about 10 minutes, then gently comb it with the wide-tooth comb. I let it dry without touching it (maybe comb once, if that). I wash my hair around dinnertime, and by bedtime it is mostly dry. In the morning, I spritz a light leave in all over, gently comb it through with the wide-tooth comb, and that's it. My hair is relatively smooth with my waves mostly intact.

For me, the CG routine doesn't work, nor does CO or oils. I don't like gels that much or other CG-type products. This routine is the best compromise for me and my waves -- I'm happy, they're happy, and the world is rosy. :gabigrin:

joyellen
June 15th, 2009, 12:28 PM
After I gave up the flat iron I had to go through an adjustment period. I didn't actually realize I had wavy hair until a few months ago. I thought I was just unlucky and had "frizzy" hair. Wavy hair is kind of challenging. To combat the messy, just rolled out of bed look, I usually take my freshly washed hair in two sections and kind of twist it until I have two sausage curls over each shoulder. If I finger comb and re-roll them a few times while they dry, it really cuts down on the frizz and makes my hair lay better while also giving me some nice wavies throughout.

Heavenly Locks
June 15th, 2009, 12:36 PM
Thanks for all the tips everyone :D

Here is the closest photo I currently have that shows what my hair likes to do on it's own when I let it air dry.

I do admit to fussing with it as it dries...I need to try not doing that. :o

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h94/HeavenlyJumper/DSC_0002-5.jpg

oh and here is one after I let it dry from a lightly damp bun after I did a moisture treatment. (I couldn't quite get out all the oil urrgh!)

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h94/HeavenlyJumper/DSC_0003_3.jpg

I think if I can figure out what to do with them, my waves could look pretty nice!

Bianca
June 15th, 2009, 12:49 PM
Do you mean that your hair looks a bit frizzy and the lenghts of the hair are sticking together, kinda "ropey"?

What works for me is combing, not brushing or it will end up frizzy no matter what.
Also, not using to much product in your hair will prevent the ends from hanging in strings.

I kinda like it if my hair looks like that, but minus the frizz. What i do then is just comb it and afterwards fingercomb it again while gently shaking my hand from left to right and vice versa to define the waves again.

HTH

Yes, ropey. That's my hair. It always looks unbrushed. I'm sure all the straighties at school think I dont give a **** about my hair. If only they knew.... :D

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=2008&pictureid=41863

Curlsgirl
June 15th, 2009, 01:02 PM

Here is the closest photo I currently have that shows what my hair likes to do on it's own when I let it air dry.

oh and here is one after I let it dry from a lightly damp bun after I did a moisture treatment. (I couldn't quite get out all the oil urrgh!)

I think if I can figure out what to do with them, my waves could look pretty nice!

Oh how pretty! Yes I would definitely try leaving it alone as it dries. If you get frizz then there are other things you could add to cut down on that!

Furiana
June 15th, 2009, 01:19 PM
Try whatever you did there without as much oil. Maybe you'll get the same waves without the oily-piecey look!

may1em
June 15th, 2009, 01:20 PM
The wave pattern in the picture after you damp bunned looks really nice. Think of it as one giant pincurl. :)

I'd say we have pretty similar hair, even down to the color!

Euphony
June 15th, 2009, 01:48 PM
Yep I know the problem well :D

What I've learned is wash day I comb it immediately after the shower if not sooner and I don't touch it again until the next day. My hair looks the best at that point, just letting the waves do their own thing. If I mess with it, it'll look messy. Second day after washing I can spritz it heavily and get the waves back together without it looking messy. Third day it's usually just a lost cause and I bun it since no matter what I do unless it's completely getting it wet again, will make it look like it constantly needs a combing. Fourth day I usually just can't take it anymore and I wash it.

holomi
June 15th, 2009, 02:19 PM
I have this same problem too. I'll be watching this thread, it must be a 2 hair type problem...

Pixna
June 15th, 2009, 03:18 PM
Yes, this is definitely a 2 hair type problem. We are challenged! :brains:

I agree that you should try to NOT touch your hair at all while it is drying. Let the waves form naturally -- combing them (and especially brushing -- no, no, no!) will smooth them right out until they are almost gone. Once your hair is completely dry, then you can fuss with it or comb it. But sit on your hands until then. :bluesmile

Calista
June 15th, 2009, 03:44 PM
Yes, Iīd say we 2s all know this problem. Before I joined LHC I never understood why my hair always loked so messy compared to other peopleīs hair. (I also never knew of the existence of flatirons... :o)

Your waves look really nice, I especially like that damp bunned picture. If you hadnīt said it was oily I would have assumed you had gel in it, so thatīs what other people would assume, I guess. I swear, 2a hair like mine is the worst! :p

feralnature
June 15th, 2009, 05:19 PM
Yes, ropey. That's my hair. It always looks unbrushed. I'm sure all the straighties at school think I dont give a **** about my hair. If only they knew.... :D

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=2008&pictureid=41863

Bianca what I would do to have those "ropes"..I love love love that sort of hair texture. It reminds me of naturally forming dreads. I used to be a member of a dreadlock forum, back when I had dreads. Bianca, if you quit combing your hair, you would form some cool organic dreads.

Merlin
June 15th, 2009, 05:53 PM
OMG!! Those are, well, totally scrummy

I don't think you need to 'figure out what to do with them' at all, you seem to be doing perfectly well as it is...:thud:

plainjanegirl
August 16th, 2009, 09:14 AM

Your waves are very pretty.
what kiinda damp bun did you do ?

Xandergrammy
August 16th, 2009, 09:48 AM
Heavenly Locks, I think your waves are lovely. I actually aim for the ropey look and to achieve that I do what many of the others here have suggested. After washing, I put in some leave-in or gel or curl cream (whatever I'm in the mood for), wrap it in a microfiber towel for a few minutes, comb and leave it alone. If I touch it while it's drying, it gets nasty.

Tangles
August 16th, 2009, 04:57 PM
For me, this problem nearly disappeared after I started alternating cones and no-cones and using oils in moderation. This routine seems to keep my hair better moisturized and the right amount of oil keeps my hair more "cohesive", if you know what I mean.

BTW, we have somewhat similar hair types. If you're a 2b/2c, I must be a solid 2b at the minimum. I'm going to change that in my profile...

SallyLopez
August 16th, 2009, 06:09 PM
I have this same problem.
So, as far as I understand the advice that's been given...
-Lightly comb through wet hair ONCE
-Wrap in a turbie or microfiber towel for 10 minutes or so
-Treat with a little leave-in conditioner or oil or gel
-Bun it (should I use a braided bun or just a simple twisted and scrunchied bun?)
-Leave it in for a good while, then take it down and don't touch it, letting it finish drying naturally

It sounds good, although I wonder what to do with the inevitable frizz on the unbunned top section, especially if I slept in the bun. Should I cover it with a silk scarf or a net or something?

K_Angel
May 16th, 2011, 12:09 AM
*****bump******

Signe
May 16th, 2011, 12:36 AM
I have tried a lot of the suggestions on this thread to varying degrees of success, but what I find most helpful is to comb and brush my hair BEFORE I shower and just try to not manipulate anything but the scalp hair when I wash.

If it is a rare day that I put some conditioner in, I might gently finger comb it, but usually I find that a thorough detangling before the shower saves me from having to comb wet hair.
Then I just leave it to dry hanging down on top of an old silk button-down tied around my shoulders == defined wurls.

I am mostly WO, so the days that I need to massage my scalp and brush my hair to keep it fresh, my curls can lose their shape and my hair tends to look wonky. If I "rejuvenate" it with a heavy misting of cold water and lightly scrunch, the waves come back lovelier than ever because my length is usually much shinier and softer-looking when it hasn't been washed in a while.
My siggy pic is "rejuvenated" hair after I used a BBB.

:cheese:

ps. When I let my hair air-dry completely without touching it, it always goes through this horrible phase where it looks like it is going to turn out REALLY frizzy, and there are loads of little halo hairs, but if I wait until it is COMPLETELY dry, it looks perfect again. Anyone else get this? I think it is really strange and it took me aaaaages to stop fussing over it when it happened! :poot:

Debra83
May 16th, 2011, 12:49 AM
I understand what you mean exactly. While I like my hair flowing and twisting and natural but it doesn't suit my job at a bank (imho) so I like to smooth it and make the wave a bit more uniform. I always used to wrap the bottom ten inches around a large barrelled curling iron just to make the ends look nice. Now, I comb it, lightly spray in some leave in, twist my length, coil my hair into a scrunchie bun making sure the ends are coiled and tucked with a bobby pin. Then I let it stay like that while I do my quiet time, get my babies up and carpool to work (about 2 hours total). When I take it out I just shake gently and let it fall without breaking the pattern up too much, this makes my ends fall nicely, defuzzes the frizz and makes the wave pretty uniform.

Totally this. Bank job and everything.

I recently did a hairtyping, and realized that I'm actually in the 2 range, not the 1 range, as I had thought. (I haven't officially changed my type though, because I would like to upload some pictures and have people help me decide whether I'm a 2a or 2c. I'm confused.)
I've been used to blowdrying, and I still often blowdry my roots, because I like the lift and because I need to shower in the mornings and I feel that totally wet hair looks unprofessional. I *am* trying to airdry more, though, and it has been difficult for me to embrace my natural texture. CO has helped, as has oiling the damp ends just a bit.

And the advice about trying not to touch your hair while it dries is spot on. When I did my hairtyping, I expected to have one big rat's nest when it dried without any kind of combing, but I was completely surprised! It was the best my hair had looked in a long time! So smooth! So shiny! And I had waves and curls like I'd never seen. I would seriously do this everyday, but it took 6 hours for it to dry. It appears that any kind of combing or brushing when wet (even fingercombing) will reduce the curl. And any kind of touching will increase the frizziness. I'd love to figure out how to keep the curl and still reduce the drying time. That's now my quest!

...and totally this. The only time I reduced the drying time by half, airdrying, is when I was trying out the oil shampoo method. I don't understand why, except it was explained that the coconut oil boots out the moisture from the hair shaft I think was what was explained on one of those threads.

K_Angel
May 16th, 2011, 12:59 AM
Up until now, to avoid the "rope-y" look, I've been brushing my hair out when it was dry and then misting it to bring back some wave. Which was working until my hair has suddenly become more 2b/c-ish. And now, I'm dealing with such different challenges.

And the biggest challenge has been my hair looking like I just got out of bed no matter what I do. I was thrilled to find this thread!

So today, I've tried the don't touch your hair after cleaning and conditioning method. Wow! It is hard to not touch my hair. But already I can see it has turned VERY wavy all over! I just don't know how it will dry. But at least it looks different this time. :cheese: And this thread has given me hope! :)

beccababesx
May 16th, 2011, 03:25 AM
I know exactly what you mean even though I have straight hair, I think it's being used to having 'styled' looking hair, just leaving it as is can feel a bit like it looks... unkempt? Anyway, to solve it I put it in obvious 'styles', like braid the front part, or do some of the amazing buns they have on this site, or braid it, or something. Also maybe put in a pretty clip, or a flower. You could also try rag curls/steam rollers/braid waves, to make it feel like it's doing something as opposed to just hanging there.
Also, you just kinda have to get used to it.
Hope that helps :)

Katze
May 16th, 2011, 04:10 AM
Hair gel. Brushing/combing more often. Washing more often.

these all (sort of) work for me. :)

tigereye
May 16th, 2011, 04:27 AM
My hair isn't really wavy, but I sleep with it in a braid, which can turn to frizz if I take a brush to it. My best friend is my big shower comb, which I use on my dry hair to keep the waves looking nice, and "done" at the same time. (That is, if i'm not putting it up)

lapushka
May 16th, 2011, 09:36 AM
ps. When I let my hair air-dry completely without touching it, it always goes through this horrible phase where it looks like it is going to turn out REALLY frizzy, and there are loads of little halo hairs, but if I wait until it is COMPLETELY dry, it looks perfect again. Anyone else get this? I think it is really strange and it took me aaaaages to stop fussing over it when it happened! :poot:

I get this with the canopy and both sides, especially the front most parts (where face framing layers get cut). If all of that isn't treated with leave-in, gel and some serum, it ends up being *poof* no matter what.

WittyWordsmith
May 16th, 2011, 12:24 PM

This happens to me, too! It takes every ounce of discipline I have not to play with it while it dries through this phase. I'm learning that I only ever make it worse!!

My hair really can take forever to dry, but I've been pretty successful drying it out with a T-shirt like many here do.

Also, scrunching with aloe vera gel seems to help lift the hair so air can circulate through it better and dry quicker. I love that aloe isn't heavy and doesn't make my hair feel like product is in there at all.

When it's totally 100% dry, I smooth the slightest amount of oil over it to capture those fly-away strands.

I'm still tweaking my method, though!

SpinDance
May 16th, 2011, 02:46 PM
I have so much trouble with the halo and poof. I have been trying to not touch it while it dries, but it's just too long to stay back out of my way and swings down so I have to push it back. Wearing it up means it won't ever dry. Having it down means it takes several hours to dry. Takes to long to do before bed, and I get too cold trying to sleep with wet hair, besides, it doesn't dry all the way anyway. I know, whine, whine, whine!

I've tried some of the curly girl techniques, but they just made my hair look stringy at the ends. I'm hoping that as my ends thicken up that I may be able to do some things differently, but until then it's quite a challenge getting it to look OK.

K_Angel
May 17th, 2011, 01:25 AM
I did the "no touch" your hair thing yesterday night. And it worked to bring out my waves very strongly, but the hair style ended up looking very very bedhead-ish. Also, to my dismay, I didn't realize the first ingredient, after water, was a humectant in my curl cream, so my hair dried up something fierce! :justy:

So, I'm not sure if I would have gotten a better outcome if I had used a more hair friendly product or not. :shrug:

It was a huge difference though, so I will have to try the "no touch" method again when I find a new curl cream or mousse or something. Anyone have any suggestions of something that doesn't have humectants as its main ingredient?

julliams
May 17th, 2011, 01:40 AM
When I let my hair air-dry completely without touching it, it always goes through this horrible phase where it looks like it is going to turn out REALLY frizzy, and there are loads of little halo hairs, but if I wait until it is COMPLETELY dry, it looks perfect again. Anyone else get this? I think it is really strange and it took me aaaaages to stop fussing over it when it happened! :poot:

YES! I always take a look as it's drying and there times when I just want to jump back into the shower and wash it all over again. For me I think it has alot to do with the weather as I can try the same routine and I will get different results each time. But you are right, nine times out of ten, once it's totally dry - it's a different head of hair. I can't seem to fix the problem of the little wirey hairs going all over the place (my halo) unless I bun and I'm not getting good results with that anymore.

Talula
May 17th, 2011, 03:13 AM
Great thread.... I have the same problems. I've noticed for yrs how my hair usually looks so messy & frizzy compared to other women.... I was close to buying a flat iron before I discovered these hair forums... and I haven't used any heat stylers in probably 25 yrs, just air dry. Never dyed my hair w/ chemicals.... only recently w/ henna/indigo. I've tried many things from the forum, I still have pretty frizzy hair. Just tried aloe on top of my head the other day as a leave in, didn't do a thing for my frizz. Been doing CO for maybe a year, still frizzy. A little less frizzy when it's getting greasy, but..... that's no good either. And I learned about the "spritz & CO" recently, and scrunching upside down right at the end of the shower, and this gives me the "rope" hair you guys mentioned. I haven't combed my hair AFTER a shower in years..... I thought it would ruin my waves/curls.... but maybe I'll try it and then spritz afterward & rescrunch, as mentioned. I always used to think spritzing would just make me frizzier.... since when I used to bun my hair in the shower if I didn't want to wash it (w/ no shower cap which I now DO use)... the slight spritzing it got in that process always made it crazy frizzy. But maybe spritzing and adding a little oil at the same time..... Just hoping one day I'll have nice, smooth, well defined curls that don't look like strings/ropes, and especially hope I can one day eliminate my intense frizz halo.

Maelyssa
May 17th, 2011, 09:12 AM

Believe it or not I think that second pic where you mention not getting all the oil out looks absolutely gorgeous & very much 'done'. I have the same hair problem myself & even had my own post out there at one time about how to look more 'pulled together/done/professional' with somewhat wavy hair. Seriously, to me the second pic looks very much like you had it done with a curling iron or something. Very nice & pulled together!

jojo
May 17th, 2011, 09:55 AM
I just need to learn not to touch when its drying. When left alone it looks wurly but I touch and get loose waves! heck when will i learn!

K_Angel
May 18th, 2011, 01:22 AM
When I saw this thread I HAD to bump it, it was exactly what I was going to ask in a new thread!

Well, the "no touch" is one of the hardest things I've ever had to "not" do with my hair. It's such a compulsion to touch my hair and finger comb it out.

I washed again today because my scalp was oily and my waves were wild since I did my last experiment. And again my biggest struggle is the "no touch." :p

I also tried putting the curl cream in sopping wet hair. I'll see if that helps with my "humectant phobic hair?" I'll probably regret that since my hair hates the humectant.... but I didn't have anything else to try yet. :o

I used a t-shirt for the first time. Why, oh why, did I never do that before??? It was great! :cheese:

And then did a semi-plopping, by dumping my hair into the turbie towel... and now I'm just waiting for it to dry to see how I can style it tomorrow. I hope it comes out looking better! :pray:

Anyone use a humectant free curl cream/mousse/gel that makes their styling easier?

sharicat
May 18th, 2011, 03:52 AM
My hair is the same. I've just washed mine and i'm trying not to touch it. it's so hard! I really have to fight the temptation to get the straighteners out! :p

neesalena
May 18th, 2011, 06:49 AM
I'm so glad I stumbled across this thread. It's a question I have but never would have thought to ask. Way to go, there!

the best results I get are if I damp bun my hair, sleep on it, then put half of it up. Somehow, the unders always come out prettier than the canopy. (Is there a nice word for the unders?)

I now wonder if combing with a wide tooth comb while wet would help. I had in my mind that using anything on it after the shower would wreck any wurls I would be lucky to get in the first place. I'll try it tomorrow.

Keep the great advice and experiences coming!

K_Angel
May 18th, 2011, 07:01 AM
Well, last night I washed my hair and was planning on doing the "no touch" thing... but ended up after it was down to damp hair, using my big tooth comb. I just wanted to make sure I had no tangles. It did take my waves down, but then I decided to "scrunch" upwards with my hands and lightly misted with distilled water. It seems to have reactivated the curl cream I put in my hair. And although it was not as wavy as it was a few days ago when I did the "no touch" thing, it is very wavy! :cheese:

I'm kind of happy with that. Because while the "no touch" did work for giving me AMAZING waves, it also made it impossible to do anything with it. Messy was the only look I could achieve and day 3 when I tried actually brushing it out, it still looked messy.

My hair is 90% dry now, so I'm hopeful that this technique worked. :pray:

WittyWordsmith
May 19th, 2011, 12:36 PM
Looks like I'm going to tweak my method a slight bit. The length of my hair seems to respond best to the thicker Suave Naturals, while my roots love the squeaky-cleanness of the V05 and other lighter conditioners. So, I'm going to try a handful of the V05 scrubbed in up top, and a handful of the Suave down the length.

I can't be the only one to do this. I think my wurls like a little more weight. But I do have a question for others who may use this method:

Is it odd to mix conditioner fragrances? Will my nose go nuts if I am doing Kiwi Lime up top and then Strawberry or Orchid on bottom?

Ok, how did this end up in THIS thread!?!?

This was mean for the CO thread, Sorry!

Firefox7275
May 19th, 2011, 01:44 PM
Make sure you have no tangles whilst you are still in the shower, most of you seem to wash your hair standing up so your hair is already in the correct position for neatness. Which part looks so unstyled it needs a comb? :confused:

ewhalin
May 19th, 2011, 02:53 PM
I, too, am happy to stumble accross this thread! I'd love to be able to keep my waves but lose the "unkempt" look. My hair is very nice and wavy on the sides where it frames my face, but the back is not nearly as wavy... Soooo, I've curled or straight ironed it since junior high. I do notice that if I don't touch the sides but scrunch the back, it's a little more uniform. I'll have to try a bun...