PDA

View Full Version : Finger Waves, how to make them?

ilovelonghair
June 14th, 2009, 10:53 PM
I'd like to try hairdo with fingerwaves, like the 1920's kind of stuff. How do you make them?

WelshLocks
June 14th, 2009, 11:02 PM
I love finger waves!I'm awful at them but have only attempted once. :D

Here's a great website and instruction set:

http://thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=12922&highlight=fingerwave

http://www.hairfinder.com/hairstyling/fingerwaves.htm

http://www.revampvintage.com/30sfingerwaves.html

http://www.vividinfinity.com/fingerwave/

Good luck!

Debra83
June 14th, 2009, 11:04 PM
Isn't that where you spiral the hair around your finger, smush it up flat on your head and pin it in place with one of those almost clothes pin looking hair bobby pins with the springy-thing?

ilovelonghair
June 14th, 2009, 11:48 PM
They mention something called 'setting fluid' or 'fingerwave lotion', what is that? Can it be done with aloe vera?
Are there any youtube clips on how to do it? After reading I still don't really get the picture of how it's done.

Niphredil
June 15th, 2009, 12:51 AM
Isn't that where you spiral the hair around your finger, smush it up flat on your head and pin it in place with one of those almost clothes pin looking hair bobby pins with the springy-thing?
No, those are pin-curls if I'm correct.
Fingerwaves are really waves, usually in the 20's-40's bob styles.

purplebubba
June 15th, 2009, 02:11 AM
Fingerwaves are made using gel or lotion or both, by pinching between fingers to make a ridge, and pulling with a comb to shape the curve.
Many beauty schools including the one I went to require you to learn them. Some state board tests require it too.

You could go to a school and have it done but be aware that some schools don't do services without washing hair first. My school was one.

Elphie
June 15th, 2009, 03:17 AM
You might be able to use aloe, my sister (who is practicing for her boards) uses any clear hair gel she has available.

ilovelonghair
June 15th, 2009, 03:58 AM
So you basically don't have to curl your hair first, you just comb/model it in that way?

demitasse
June 15th, 2009, 05:07 AM
It's done without heat. :) Although having natural curl/wave in your hair makes it much more receptacle to the curl.

Addy
June 15th, 2009, 05:24 AM
Fingerwaves are made using gel or lotion or both, by pinching between fingers to make a ridge, and pulling with a comb to shape the curve.
Many beauty schools including the one I went to require you to learn them. Some state board tests require it too.

You could go to a school and have it done but be aware that some schools don't do services without washing hair first. My school was one.

OMG! I haven't heard finger waves since 1997-98 when I went to cosmetology school! I didn't have to do them for boards though... THANK GOODNESS!

For the record, I sucked at them but still remember doing them! Thanks for the flash back purplebubba! :D

GlassEyes
June 15th, 2009, 05:45 AM
My sister has to learn them in her course too.

I think she used marcel clips the last time she did them, but she says she sucks at them anyway. She prefers barrel rolls.

enfys
June 15th, 2009, 11:40 AM
My sister has to learn them in her course too.

I think she used marcel clips the last time she did them, but she says she sucks at them anyway. She prefers barrel rolls.

Lucky! Were they the spring loaded clips that create the wave? Those clips are so hard to come by.

This is such a sculptured wave it really helps to start with damp well gelled hair and really get the comb right to your scalp.

purplebubba
June 15th, 2009, 06:47 PM
OMG! I haven't heard finger waves since 1997-98 when I went to cosmetology school! I didn't have to do them for boards though... THANK GOODNESS!

For the record, I sucked at them but still remember doing them! Thanks for the flash back purplebubba! :D

I think I did them good enough 2 times. One while practising and then the second time was the Junior exam to get out on the Senior floor and out of the classroom after 350 hours.

Eta: I was in school 2000-01 for 800 of 1500 hrs.