PDA

View Full Version : to cut bangs or not to.. that is the question!

hennared
June 14th, 2009, 10:01 AM
I would appreciate your opinion on the following -

I wore bangs for many years, and I think they suit my face well. But a few years ago I grew them out, to see how that would look. And I liked it.. until my hair started to thin dramatically, causing a lot of loss at the temples. Now, I really, really, dislike how my chin length 'bangs' look when I put my hair up, since they are pretty thin and whispy. I have pictures in my profile that show what I'm talking about, please take a look see. I'm considering chopping them back into bangs, again, so that when I put my hair up I have hair to frame my face (Which I like) and I don't have the maddening escapee hairs that I do now, that, to my eye, accentuate how thin my frontal hair is (based on what I am used to having, anyhow).

What do you guy think? I also put up a photo from 2006 where I have side swept bangs, so you can gauge how I look with them vs. without. I am also wondering about whether or not bangs help or hurt for the overall look of thinning hair. Comments?

Gracias,
Hennared

SpecialKitty
June 14th, 2009, 10:27 AM
I think you look great with bangs :agree: If you don't mind the "maintenance" (ie: trimming constantly to keep them the right length), then go for it :D

GlennaGirl
June 14th, 2009, 12:13 PM
I really love the sideswept bangs in the first picture. Is that the cut of bang you're talking about? They look like they're maybe...hmmm...at eye-level but swept to the side? I think that's a gorgeous look.

CindyLea1
June 14th, 2009, 12:34 PM
I think you look great with bangs. If you think they will help your look, go for it. You can always grow them back out again.

My bangs go from eyebrow to chin alllllll the time! It's the one place I will cut my hair just because I need a change. I prefer a medium thickness in the bangs. Wispy ones are a pain, and thicker ones are unmanageable for me.

enfys
June 14th, 2009, 04:33 PM
It's tricky, but I might lean towards letting them keep growing out just to help the thickness.

The bangs look good, but you said you also liked not having them until your hair thinned. If you find out you don't like having a fringe while you have thinner hair you have to grow them out again. Better the devil you know.

Torrin Paige
June 14th, 2009, 04:59 PM
You have a beautiful face and can get away with either style. Being a "bang girl" myself, I always tend towards bangs...I just like having the option. I also like having hair around my face when it's all pulled back...since I look bald without bangs (too much forehead). :) I think I'd grow them out a bit more and see if they'll start behaving...and if not, then you can always cut them. Cuttings a lot quicker than growing. ;)

GlassEyes
June 14th, 2009, 05:49 PM
O_O Wow, you look a lot like my stepmother. I nearly had a panic attack when I saw the picture. XD

They look nice.

psvzum
June 14th, 2009, 08:31 PM
I think you look beautiful with sideswept bangs in the first photo. I'm also certain you'd look just as beautiful without them : ) Can't tell from the other photo's since your face doesn't show. Your hair is gorgous!

tarn
June 14th, 2009, 09:02 PM
Wow, I thought the bangs with that gorgeous shade really made your eyes pop :) (envy - mine are brown... don't really pop:(). I find that the upside of bangs is that you can trim and play with them without losing your length... and then can just regrow if they get too much maintenance, especially with side bangs like your pic. I think you look great with or without.

rags
June 14th, 2009, 09:53 PM
I actually just cut my bangs for pretty much the same reason (thinning). I think you look great with bangs. I know with my hair, the bangs really helped with the look of the thinning. But then, mine is a lot thinner than yours!

Your pic with them is gorgeous - but with your face, I think you could pull off either way equally well.

templeofvenus
June 15th, 2009, 01:14 AM
I have fine hair and grew out my fringe for a year! only to get it cut back in again recently! I decided I like the fringe cut in best. I think it makes the hair look thicker and you can always put it back with a broad hairband if you want the no fringe look, that way you can have both :) thats just my humble opinion :)

stargazer028
June 15th, 2009, 04:09 AM
I had the same problem as you and cut some bangs but my hair is wavy so it was not a good decision for me...and I cant see your picture so I dont know what to say but maybe just cut a few cm's gradually so you dont go too short...

Tap Dancer
June 15th, 2009, 04:53 AM
I would appreciate your opinion on the following -

I wore bangs for many years, and I think they suit my face well. But a few years ago I grew them out, to see how that would look. And I liked it.. until my hair started to thin dramatically, causing a lot of loss at the temples. Now, I really, really, dislike how my chin length 'bangs' look when I put my hair up, since they are pretty thin and whispy. I have pictures in my profile that show what I'm talking about, please take a look see. I'm considering chopping them back into bangs, again, so that when I put my hair up I have hair to frame my face (Which I like) and I don't have the maddening escapee hairs that I do now, that, to my eye, accentuate how thin my frontal hair is (based on what I am used to having, anyhow).

What do you guy think? I also put up a photo from 2006 where I have side swept bangs, so you can gauge how I look with them vs. without. I am also wondering about whether or not bangs help or hurt for the overall look of thinning hair. Comments?

Gracias,
Hennared

I think you answered your own question. I bolded those parts. Go for it! :thumbsup:

hennared
June 15th, 2009, 06:21 AM
Thanks for the advice, guys... I think I will cut them back in, but take it a step at a time. I'm a bit anxious because I'm not sure how to section my hair to cut bangs back in. I guess I can go by cutting the presently shorter hairs as a guide.