PDA

View Full Version : My progress after 2.5 years

soobie
June 14th, 2009, 12:36 AM
Hi all, another mostly-lurking member here, checking in with some progress pictures! I've been browsing the site again, after an extended absence, and was inspired by everyone's beautiful pictures. So I took one of my own tonight. :D

I've had long hair off and on most of my life, and cut off 16" in September 2006. I went from past-waist to this:

http://i655.photobucket.com/albums/uu274/helisoma/9-06.jpg

I've been growing it since then, with two minor trims (2") and one major trim (~5"). Here's the picture from tonight:

http://i655.photobucket.com/albums/uu274/helisoma/6-13-09.jpg

Not the greatest lighting... Indoors, at night, with flash. :p

I was at 20" after the chop, and am now at 34", past waist-length again. :disco:Probably if I hadn't trimmed so much, I would be past tailbone. Hubby does my trims, and has a loose definition of "just a little." Though I did tell him to do the 5" cut!

I need to get back to taking better care if it. Must remember to use the coconut oil regularly, since my hair really responds to that. For the past year, since going back to work full-time, it's been mostly up in a braid, bun, or braided bun every day. Shampoo once a week, rinse after exercising, and not much else. Benign neglect all the way. I do have some breakage at the ends from the elastic on the braid, and will probably have another trim in the next month or so, since it's been 7 months since my last trim.

Anyway, thanks for looking!

LittleOrca
June 14th, 2009, 12:43 AM
WoW! That is wonderful! :cheese: I wish my hair few that much in two years... without breaking! :) /envy

AnnaMarie
June 14th, 2009, 12:47 AM
Wow, congratulations, it looks fantastic! :)

Redheaded Raven
June 14th, 2009, 01:03 AM
:thud: Wow your hair is very petty and so thick

Jules diamond
June 14th, 2009, 01:10 AM
Congrats! your hair looks so nice!

hennaphile
June 14th, 2009, 02:06 AM
HOLY MOLY!!!!! That is some growth, I'm jeleous! :D

DavidN
June 14th, 2009, 05:39 AM
Thank you, Soobie, for sharing your inspirational progress photos with us. You have made wonderful progress in that time, and I cannot get over how thick and healthy your hair is!

Ryanne
June 14th, 2009, 05:39 AM
Wow, that's some growth. Very pretty!

Savvyhorsez
June 14th, 2009, 05:46 AM
That's Really Great! I wish my hair grew that fast!

rach
June 14th, 2009, 06:20 AM
wow, well done

free_hug
June 14th, 2009, 06:25 AM
So, you had roughly 10 inches cut off in the process, and still have a 14 inch growth in two years - so you grow 2 inches a month? And for a whole 2 year period? Wow, congrats for the growth and i'm totally amazed by your crazy speed :) Based on the second pic it looks safe sound and healthy too!

free_hug
June 14th, 2009, 06:27 AM
oooops, silly me and mathematics, that'll mean one inch a month :D but still, the sight definitely is impressive.

janeytilllie
June 14th, 2009, 07:44 AM
Your hair is so beautiful! :thudpile: It's grown really healthy and fast! :D

Jason
June 14th, 2009, 07:51 AM
Your hair must grow very quickly! *jealous!* It's looks outstanding now.

tiny_teesha
June 14th, 2009, 08:26 AM
WOW :thud: That is amazing progress! Your hair is so thick and long! Well done, you must be so proud of that mane!

redneckprincess
June 14th, 2009, 08:28 AM
thats some speedy growth, kudos to you! ♥

kyraninse
June 14th, 2009, 08:42 AM
That looks lovely. Healthy too, which is almost better. :P

yogachic
June 14th, 2009, 09:35 AM
That's awsome growth! I'm glad you came out of lurking and joined us. :-)

desertrose
June 14th, 2009, 10:20 AM
woow your hair grows soo fast very beautifull :D

SpecialKitty
June 14th, 2009, 10:23 AM
WOW :shocked: You are a hair growing machine :D I am so impressed by how much you grew in that time. And you hair looks beautiful and healthy.

Addy
June 14th, 2009, 10:39 AM
Your hair is so beautiful! I can't wait to see my hair that long! Hopefully this time next year!

Congratulations!

Debra83
June 14th, 2009, 10:44 AM
Very nice! What is your favourite hair care routine? (coconut oil doesn't count because you just remembered about it!!!!)

AnneAdeline
June 14th, 2009, 10:44 AM
Gorgeous hair! And what lightning-fast growth! Even with ~9" in trims!
I can't wait until my hair is that long.

dorothea-brooke
June 14th, 2009, 10:45 AM
What stunning hair you have! Congrats on the amazing growth. :flower:

Teacherbear
June 14th, 2009, 11:14 AM
Holy smokes that's some great growth! Your hair is so pretty and thick! :cheese:

soobie
June 14th, 2009, 01:01 PM
Wow, thanks everyone! I was actually kind of shocked when I took that picture and saw how long my hair looked. I normally don't think about it, it's "just there." I guess I still think of it as mid-back-shortish still. :happydance:

Very nice! What is your favourite hair care routine? (coconut oil doesn't count because you just remembered about it!!!!)

Truly, I don't do much. I shampoo once a week: sometimes Pantene, since I have a bottle left over that I've been trying to use up for a couple years now (gotta love Costco), and sometimes Suave when the cone buildup gets to be too much and my hair goes flat. I have a bottle of Pantene condish I'm trying to use up as well, so I usually use that when I shampoo. I use a quarter-sized dollop of shampoo and just work it into my scalp, and a quarter-sized dollop of condish and just apply it to the length below my ears. Bottles of product last me forever. I do a water-only rinse after exercising, just to get the sweat out.

After a rinse or shampoo, I just wrap my head in a towel for 10 min or so to stop the drippies, then braid my hair for sleep. I've learned that I can't comb wet hair or mess with it in any way without it tangling and breaking horribly. So I wait until morning, when it's dry. Sometimes I put coconut oil on before braiding, so it can soak in overnight, and must do this more regularly. I really like the results when I use a no-cone shampoo, no conditioner, and apply coconut oil to damp hair.

I brush once a day, in the morning, and always braid for sleep.

I've done maybe 3-4 deep hot oil treatments in the past couple years, with half and half olive oil and coconut oil zapped in the microwave to warm, applied liberally, and left to soak for several hours (head wrapped in a plastic bag and a towel). They really make a difference. But I have to do that when hubby's not home, because it looks ridiculous and he makes fun of me! ;)

Thanks again for all the nice comments!:cloud9:

Kiraela
June 14th, 2009, 01:35 PM
Wow! I love your color and texture! And that is some fantastic growth. As for being past waist, from what I can tell it looks like you are at hip!

Garnet66
June 14th, 2009, 02:01 PM
Congrats on such great progress! Great growing.

JamieLeigh
June 14th, 2009, 04:07 PM
Wow! :thud: That's a lot of growth for 2.5 years. It looks absolutely gorgeous, congratulations on progress! :flower:

patissegrietje
June 14th, 2009, 04:39 PM
What a speedy growth! and your hair looks very healthy too, benign neglect seems to really work :D

Edit: i forgot to bring you :flowers:

hazelnut
June 14th, 2009, 04:41 PM
Wow! Your hair is lovely! I hope my hair is that long in 2.5 years.

mellie
June 14th, 2009, 04:50 PM
Wow! Congratulations! How thick and beautiful!

littlemiss
June 14th, 2009, 04:54 PM
Wow great progress in such and small amount of time!! Good on you!!

C_Bookworm
June 14th, 2009, 04:54 PM
wow you have amazing thickness all the was down to the bottom. your hair is so lovely and healthy looking

xrosiex
June 14th, 2009, 05:38 PM
wow great growth!!! Thanks for sharing.:)

psvzum
June 14th, 2009, 08:34 PM
Wow! That's amazing growth!! You've got lovely hair : )

Nyghtingale
June 14th, 2009, 08:54 PM
Goodness! That's a lot of growth. So thick too.

wahmof9
June 14th, 2009, 10:27 PM
Wow, beautiful hair! Great growth!

LutraLutra
June 15th, 2009, 06:28 AM
Your hair is just so lovely and thick and helathy looking. Great growing. :cheer:

DarkChocolate
June 15th, 2009, 07:10 AM
Wow. That is some great growth:)

jessie58
June 15th, 2009, 07:43 AM
Great growth and your hair is gorgeous.

Maud
June 15th, 2009, 07:51 AM
Your hair grows so fast!

SupermanSeven
June 15th, 2009, 08:31 AM
Congrats your hair looks healthy and long. Are you planning on growing it longer?