PDA

View Full Version : Is this ok to use on my hair?

MandaMom2Three
June 13th, 2009, 08:29 PM
Ok, so I'm going to try going sulfate free, but I'm in dire need of shampoo and I have no moola until wednesday. I have a bottle of organic body wash I was wondering if it would be gentle enough for my hair (my hair is pretty dry and damaged so I need GENTLE). Here are the ingredients, is this ok?

Aqua, Potassium Coccoate, Potassium Oleate, Lauryl Betaine, glycerine, sodium chloride, benzyl alcohol, palm kernel acid, Decyl Glucoside, citrus aurantium dulcis oil, eugenia caryophyllus oil, vanilla planifolia fruit extract, potassium palm kernelate, potassium citrate

manderly
June 13th, 2009, 08:31 PM
No conditioner for a CO? :D

I'm no good at ingredients so I can't say either way.

Speckla
June 13th, 2009, 08:32 PM
I think it'd be fine for one or two washes.

Fractalsofhair
June 13th, 2009, 08:34 PM
It looks fairly ok, but you might need to oil after. Body washes tend to be harsher than shampoo. Potassium Coccoate, Potassium Oleate, Lauryl Betaine, are all the surfactants, and they're somewhat mild looking, but IDK that much about the science of shampoo surfactants other than SLS is harsh, and that a lot are more gentle. It's worth a try. Just if you're out of conditioner, do oil after if you have damaged hair, and try to skip a few days with the washing.

Fractalsofhair
June 13th, 2009, 08:35 PM
Also, what about a VERY cheap drugstore conditioner for CO washing. They run about a buck or less, if you have that, and if you're not too sensitive, it should work.

LittleOrca
June 13th, 2009, 09:26 PM
If you could get to a Big Lots, they have VO5 Shampoo and Conditioner there for like 96c each. Their Strawberries and cream make a great CO wash.

LisaJaney
June 13th, 2009, 09:36 PM
Manda, have you tried CO-washing? I find that to be MOST-gentle to my hair. My hair is NEVER moister-yet-clean than when I clean it with an inexpensive LIGHT conditioner (my fave: White Rain Extra Body)

MandaMom2Three
June 14th, 2009, 08:20 AM
I have COed before. Hy hair liked it for a while but then it stopped liking it :rolleyes: . Fickle hair. I still do the occasional CO but hair does look and feel a lot better with a shampooing thrown into the mix on a somewhat regular basis :shrug:

Eden Iris
June 14th, 2009, 12:03 PM
Based on my own experiments shampooing with Things That Are Not Shampoo, body wash may be a very bad idea, but there's only one way to find out. If it fails, you will know immediately. Can you do WO for a few days?

manderly
June 14th, 2009, 05:36 PM
I have COed before. Hy hair liked it for a while but then it stopped liking it :rolleyes: . Fickle hair. I still do the occasional CO but hair does look and feel a lot better with a shampooing thrown into the mix on a somewhat regular basis :shrug:

Well since we're only talking about COing until Wednesday, I think your hair will be better off that with the body wash. :)

MandaMom2Three
June 14th, 2009, 07:12 PM
All is good! We ended up going out today and passed a store I KNEW sold the shampoo bar I liked. Since they're only $2 I ran in and grabbed one. Just finished washing and my hair feels glorious! :D