PDA

View Full Version : How much $$ do you spend on your hair?

abritta3
June 13th, 2009, 03:35 PM
How much money do you all spend on your hair?
I USED to spend a lot of $$$ before I found LHC but since I have read and learned I only spend $1-2 for CO (I use CO only method) I buy VO5 typically...
Orrr every once in a while I will indulge and buy an organic/natural CO for around $10
I spent around $6 for 14oz coconut oil (which will last me a longgg time)
I also spent $5 for 4oz jojoba oil (which is going fast because I love it so much!)
As far as hair toys...I just use the mini clips from Wal-Mart which usually contain 9-12 in a pack for $3-4
The cloth scrunchies are only $.99 for a pack of 8
What about the rest of you??

Longlocks3
June 13th, 2009, 03:45 PM
Coconut oil was like $15, but its a huge jar of it
VO5 CO costs like $0.88 to $1.29 per bottle x two bottles per week
ACV bottle-$1.50
Ficcare $45
Hair sticks-ouch almost spent $75 here
Vitamins cost about $20 every two months or so

Speckla
June 13th, 2009, 03:55 PM
I know that I spend less than $5 per month on my hair. A bottle of shampoo lasts well over 6 months. I buy 2 bottles of conditioner per month = $2 + tax. I don't buy mousse, gel, or oil on a monthly basis either because it takes a while to use them. So, yeah, I guess it'd average to $5 or less a month. I don't count the price of vitamins because I take them for overall health and hair growth was a bonus. I have a ton of bobbypins and hairclips. I have some nice toys that Special Kitty sent so I don't have to buy any!

Wanderer09
June 13th, 2009, 07:02 PM
Hmm, let's see. I'm very prudent with my money and try not to spend much if I can avoid it. At the moment I spend:

- Around $5 every 6 months or more for shampoo
- $5 or less (usually $1 or $2) on conditioner once a month
- $10 or less on hairtoys on an entirely random basis.

When averaged out (assuming that I spend $20 every year on hair toys), I'd say the total is $5 a month.

Ndnlady
June 13th, 2009, 07:11 PM
Waaaay too much! I love buying hair toys whenever I can, it's not so much the products I wash my hair with, it's the hair toys!

AJoifulNoise
June 13th, 2009, 07:17 PM
I spend about $20 on conditioner a month.

Every couple of months I buy shampoo and thicker conditioners for about $10.

I've been working on a $7 jar of coconut oil for almost a year now and it looks barely-used.

From time to time I spend about $30-40 on hair toys.

That is all.

embee
June 13th, 2009, 07:25 PM
I spend a dollar or so a month on shampoo which I dilute greatly before using. Maybe a bottle will last 6 months.

I have bought a few hairtoys, but not many and hope to add another hair stick or fork soon as it's been a year or so since my last stick. They are wood sticks, so not cheap. My most expensive toy was a pair of Mei Fa sticks, bought when my hair was still quite short, probably 15 years or more ago. Couldn't wear them then, but had high hopes! ;)

Dars
June 13th, 2009, 07:47 PM
I also used to spend too much on my hair before LHC. I had short hair so I would get haircuts several times a year at $15 dollars. And the products.....ohhhhh my so many products! I still have some lying around to use up but once they are gone I won't be buying them again.

$17 on cone free conditioner (1 litre). Starting CO at the end of this week!! :cheese:
- Hair, nails & skin tablets = $6 a month. I will be stopping these for 2 months and may not use them again as I'm unhappy with the increased growth else where. ;)

- Iron pills (because my hair is shedding.....and also low iron!! :p but I bought them for my hair! :o) = $14 a month

- Treatments here and there is variable price.

-I am using grapeseed oil currently but it is not pure, once it is used up I am looking to buy some coconut oil.

- ACV is usually in the pantry so free? Hehe.

- I will also be needed to buy a heat protectant in a few months. I usually spend $16 on that.

- Snag free elastics and bobby pins I'm set for.

freznow
June 13th, 2009, 07:50 PM
Well, using eggs, teas, and herbs to wash and condition once every week or two, I don't spend much on that. Then we get to the hairtoys.... uh let's not count those. :silly:

wackyredtangles
June 13th, 2009, 08:01 PM
Well I've changed my routine several times, but right now:

V05 shampoo + conditioner > $3 and lasts me for about a month
Two packages of bobby pins every few months $6
Hair elastics every few months $6
Aloe Vera Gel $3
Coconut oil (got my first bottle 3 months ago, still going strong) $5
I bought a little container of jasmine vanilla EO over a year ago for $9, and I still have it
Package of those little metal barrettes $4

I don't have any pricey name brand toys. I have one very pretty metal butterfly clip that was around $10, a whirl a style $7, a sock bun $2, and various headbands that I've been collecting over the years, and occasionally make new ones with leftover and remnant fabric.

I also have some random stuff still around like mousse, a leave in conditioner, paul mitchell's gloss drops.

Blue Willow
June 13th, 2009, 08:08 PM
It varies but averaged out about $35 a month for shampoo/conditioner (I buy different ones to try from time to time)
Almond Oil & neroli averaged per month about $10 (For PreConditioning )
Morrocanoil $30 (6mo supply) I use this everytime I shampoo.
Hair Vitamins $20 (includes shipping)
Hair Toys omg..too much! if I had to estimate $30 per mo

Elphie
June 13th, 2009, 08:17 PM
Not a tremendous amount. I go through two bottles of Suave Coconut a month and those are usually a dollar each. One bottle each of Palmer's Olive Oil shampoo and Conditioner at 5.00 will last me about two months. I use Coconut Oil on my hair as well as using it as a moisturizer so I usually need a new tub after two months and that's about ten dollars. A few random hair toys when I see something I like.

LittleOrca
June 13th, 2009, 08:53 PM
I spend way too much money on my hair, especially after joining this site because there were just so many things I had to try! Plus, I had to join the club and get that (those) ficcare(s).

My hair isn't turning out so well, so I cam going back to my college routine when my long hair was really great, to see if I can't figure out what went wrong and when, so that will be more money.

Speckla
June 13th, 2009, 08:59 PM
I know that I easily spent $50 or more when I use to colored and straightened my hair.

curls2grow
June 13th, 2009, 09:02 PM
Ranging from smallest amount at $1-2 for Suave conditoner, to highest amount for my recently purchased sterling silver hairfork at $78. LHC been berry berry good to me, just not always easy on the PP account/debit card. :D

hennaphile
June 13th, 2009, 09:05 PM
I just got a half gallon of bulk natural conditioner for $22 ($4 extra for tingly mint and other EOs) so hopefully this will work on my hair which soaks up conditioner like a sponge!

DragonLady
June 13th, 2009, 09:14 PM
I think I spend a lot more on my hair now, but I like it a lot better, so it's worth it. I just recently told DH I'd start keeping track of what I've been buying and using so we can get an idea what I'm spending so he can budget it in.

I haven't bought a lot of stuff, but what I have bought has been kinda pricey. But not nearly as pricey as back when I used to run to the salon everytime I needed a mood boost. :)

DBBramble
June 13th, 2009, 09:33 PM
Hair cut every 3-4 months: 13 and change (unless I find a better place for cheaper)

Shampoo and Conditioner: Same as hair cut about 10

Hair Toys: Clippies more than anything even though that's occasionally 3-4 dollars

So all in all maybe total 60 dollars a year.

EdG
June 13th, 2009, 09:46 PM
I'm spending less since I've been washing my hair once or twice a week.

I go through a $3.49 bottle of shampoo every two weeks. Most of it isn't used on my hair - I use shampoo rather than soap to wash everything.

Shower caps ($2.99) seem to last 6 months before the elastic wears out.

The real cost of haircare is probably in natural gas and electricity used to heat the water and to dry my hair in the winter. The latter can get pricey - it's easy to use a dollars worth of electricity to run a space heater for 4-5 hours to get my hair to dry (and keep me warm). :)
Ed

Themyst
June 13th, 2009, 09:56 PM
$4.00 Tresemme shampoo
$4.00 Tresemme conditioner
$3.00 Whatever hairspray

The above lasts me for several months.

Then, every two months or so I do a henna/cassia treatment. I buy it by the kilo, so the bi-monthly treatments cost about $15.00 or so.

But then I walked in to Rite-Aid today to search for some no cone shampoo and wound up walking out with $56.00 worth of hair products. I still don't know how that happened. Pretty packaging, I guess.:rolleyes:

1 Kilo BAQ Yemeni Henna $55.00
1 Kilo Cassia $50.00

Jinx2234
June 13th, 2009, 10:26 PM
Since switching to mainly CO with a clarifying shampoo once every few months I spend about $3 a month on conditioner (VO5). Every couple months or so, I buy a bottle of EVOO, a container of honey, and a bottle of ACV, but they get used for other things too. My coconut oil was a gift, so I don't know how much it was. I also bought a container of aloe vera gel, but that was about a year ago, so I don't remember how much it was (I think around $5).

I don't usually buy hair toys, I mainly use either sticks (which were either a gift- or purchased so long ago I don't remember how much they were) or old nylons that I cut into hair ties. I did treat myself to a new claw clip and fake ficcare yesterday ($9.50) to celebrate being done with school.

So, I'd say on average I spend less than $5 a month on hair stuff. It's a lot less than I was spending back when I was getting my hair dyed and trimmed every couple months.

CrystalStar
June 13th, 2009, 11:52 PM
Ooo...Funnily enough I think I might spend more on hair since joining LHC unlike most of us :p

$40 on 4.5 litres of organic CO conditioner, and about 15 bottles before of $1.50 conditioner

$80 on 6 Flexi-8's

$15 on a 500ml tub of coconut oil

$20 on 500ml of shea oil

$30 for 2 tubs of 250ml shea butter

AND then there's henna! :p That stuff is not cheap :p

Jules diamond
June 14th, 2009, 01:16 AM
I spend about $6 on shampoo. It's usually Garnier.
$3 on conditioner, I use it twice a month.
and whenever my hair breaks a clip I'll get another.
That usually lasts about 2-3 months.

I've tried some of the methods recommended on here, but as long as I wash my hair every other day it's happy.

Sunshine69
June 14th, 2009, 01:23 AM
I probably spend about $2-3 per month on Suave conditioner. I also use coconut oil, but one jar will last forever so I'll say $1 a month on coconut oil. I get my hair trimmed about every 6 months and that's about $40 each time. So now, I'm not spending much... but if you add in all the failed hair products and treatments and impulse purchases... I don't even want to think about it.

Finoriel
June 14th, 2009, 02:02 AM
Well using eggs (own chickens), honey and ascorbic acid or homegrown herbs to wash.
Ascorbic acid + tea to rinse.
Oil mainly with olive oil I also use in the kitchen :p and I eat far more of it than I put into my hair.
Homemade yogurt with milk from our neighbourīs cows + 1 teaspoon henna for deep treatments every other month.
:ponder: I have no clue what my routine costs, but itīs near to nothing. Honey, ascorbic acid and henna in homeopathic doses does last a looong time.
I donīt even invest money in hairtoys, I make them myself out of wood/bone I harvest.

Roughly guesstimated I may spend 10 $ a year.

carinkla
June 14th, 2009, 02:30 AM
Lets see I have velvet rose shampoo from sante and can wash 8 times from it. it costs about 6 euro. but I dont need conditioner. For my ends I use coconut oil..a bout 3 euro and can do with it for an eternity. TOys I buy on a unregulair bases so I have to gues that one..about 10 euro a month averaged out ..

3azza
June 14th, 2009, 06:41 AM
i spend around 25 $ (more or less) per month.

Pierre
June 14th, 2009, 07:02 AM
Maybe $30/mo on Flexis, but before that it was a long time since I bought any hairtoys. I don't know if I'll buy any this month; I need to replace my reflective Buff.

About $1.50 per month on henna. I buy several hg at once and I don't remember how long ago I last bought.

A few pennies per month on jojoba. I still have a few months left before I run out.

Marie99
June 14th, 2009, 07:09 AM
Since I quit using henna, hardly anything. I've had the same hairspray for about 3 years since I only use it for special occasions. I either CO or WO so maybe $2 a month on conditioner. I've had the same bottle of shampoo since last fall because I only use it if I get something icky in my hair like if I work on the car or use a power saw.

I've been using the same container of cooking grade coconut oil on my hair forever, and I have to say the cat eats more for hairballs than I put on my head.

I do my own trims. I haven't bought any new hairtoys in months.

lora410
June 14th, 2009, 08:06 AM
None right now since I am un-employed but before about $60 a month on toys.

kyraninse
June 14th, 2009, 08:52 AM
Hrm. When my hair was tailbone length. I'd spend about 7.95 on shampoo every -- two months? I would put my hair in a bun with a chopstick every single day, which would be in the cupboards anyways :P Hair elastics I'd go through like candy -- they're hidden all over the place -- so about $5 every six months? I bought my own pair of scissors so I could trim -- $55. I think that's about it because I would slather olive oil on my hair when it felt meh and that was a kitchen staple anyways :)

Silver & Gold
June 14th, 2009, 09:19 AM
When my hair was shorter I spent a fair amount (not crazy amounts) on hair washing, conditioning and styling products. I also used a lot of heat styling methods. I have to when my hair is short to get it to look like anything.

However since coming to LHC and growing my hair I use no styling products at all, I also quit styling my hair with heat. As a matter of fact I don't find I need to style it at all as it gets longer and longer.

Washing, I use soapnut liquid or a light CO. I still like to use Chagrin Valley soap bars on rare occasion because I love the smell and the lather. I only wash my hair every few days but I do like to freshen it with my own version of Kimberlily's defrizz spray. I oil when my hair seems to want it. I don't really have a routine, I just notice if my hair needs a little help and do whatever my hair seems to need. It really depends on the season and how recently I washed it.

Growing my hair long is giving me so much more freedom. I don't know if there is a length in which the balance starts to tip the other way again but I imagine it is years away before I make that discovery since I'm barely at collarbone length.

Where I did spend a lot of money (not so much these days) is on hair toys. I've never been big on jewelry, only wearing it if I'm really dressed up, but I LOVE the hair toys. I spent way too much on hair toys a few years back. I've sold quite a few on the swap board because I learned that what looks pretty to my eye doesn't always work with my wardrobe or hair color. I still have way more than I need. So my new rule is if I want to buy something new I have to go through my collection and sell some things I'm not using. So now you know my guilty secret. If you see me selling anything on the swapboard you can count on it that the money will go to buy something new that has caught my eye. My love for Mei Fa, fed by a few who sold me their used ones on the swap board, has me looking very, very closely at my collection. Some of my hairtoys are getting nervous. But I've assured them that they will find new homes with someone who can probably love them better and take them out once in a while.

yogachic
June 14th, 2009, 09:22 AM
Before LHC Never spent very much, I use suave shampoo & conditioner, and got a trim once a year if i was lucky. Then when I found LHC I started buying oils, ficcares, fork, sticks. I'm back to my usual thing of not spending much on my hair.

Buddaphlyy
June 14th, 2009, 01:06 PM
I think I've spent maybe $30 this year on my hair. I don't have a set schedule of when I shop for things. I usually buy what I need when I need it. Or I just want it.

Kiraela
June 14th, 2009, 01:43 PM
Lets see, I usually use body wash on my hair, so that cost is split between hair and skin, so say, $1.00 per month for that, and conditioner every 3-4 weeks, so $2.00 for that.

So, roughly $3-$4 a month.

Roseate
June 14th, 2009, 03:25 PM
LHC has raised my hair budget significantly! Before, I used to buy a midrange s&c about twice a year, so about 30$ a year. Kiehl's leave-in, 20$ a year. Wasn't in to hair toys, had my old reliable plain sticks, pins, one or two pretties. So about 50$ a year.

Now I buy less shampoo but WAY more conditioner. I still buy a richer conditioner (AOHR), but now I use more of it, so I buy it more like 4 times a year, 48$ a year. I also use VO5 or Suave for CO and 1st c in CWC, about a bottle a month, 12$. Plus coconut oil, about a jar a year, 10$. Jojoba oil for my Kimberlily's defrizzing spray, shea butter for my Fox's conditioning cream, another 20$ there. Cassia, cheap from herbco, probably 20$ a year. I'm probably forgetting something, but that's up to 100$ already, and that's not even scratching the surface of hairtoys.... Well, my hair does look pretty good, if I do say so myself. I'd pay ten bucks a month to have hair this nice.

Carolyn
June 14th, 2009, 03:30 PM
With what I have on hand I could go a year without buying anything. But what fun would that be?

JamieLeigh
June 14th, 2009, 03:37 PM
On actual product, not that much at all. Suave Naturals tropical coconut conditioner is what I use, and it costs a buck at the Dollar General down the road from my house. I also sometimes use Giovanni's Tea Tree Triple Treat conditioner once in a blue moon (also cone-free!), but it costs $7.99 a bottle at the drugstore...hence the "once in a blue moon". :pinktongue: Honey is also fairly cheap here, and that's just about the only other thing that goes into my hair these days. :)

Now, if we're speaking of hair TOYS....*makes sure DH is occupied somewhere else*....I've been known to splurge a bit on Etsy. :o

RoseRedDead
June 14th, 2009, 03:58 PM
Uhhhh... some would say too much... I would say that the money I have spent has been to build a base of knowledge and a stash in case of the Zombie Apocalypse. If I'm going to die a zombie, at least I'm going to have beautiful hair.

enfys
June 14th, 2009, 04:23 PM
Ack. I recently worked out supplements come to £140 a year, but that's like a tenner a month. Blanaced out by oil costing less than £2 a year.

Shampoo and conditioner who knows, but once I figure it out that will be less than five pounds a month on any given routine.

Hair toys? I'm saving for uni. If I really feel like splashing out I may buy one Ficcarre this year when I'm in London. Mostly I use my hair sticks from Claire's that cost about £3 four years ago.

I don't drink or smoke. It's allowed.

ETA: electric bill is £0 hair related, unless you count the shower but I usually clean myself too so it doesn't count.

ecologystudent
June 14th, 2009, 04:43 PM
Well, my sister got me conditioner 2 years ago, and I'm still using it. I use shampoo very rarely, and a bottle last me about a year (at maybe $7)- and given that I'm using less and less of both shampoo and conditioner, it's getting to be pretty cheap. I also did some experimenting with soap nuts, and that cost about 4 bucks, and I've used a little of a bottle of coconut oil that's years old.

Now, when my hair gets long enough to start using hair toys, I'm sure my budget will swell a bit.