PDA

View Full Version : Ways to clip growing out bangs/fringe back?

Curlsgirl
April 9th, 2008, 12:01 PM
I am not sure if this has been posted since the new site is up but would you all share some ways to do this again? I am embarrassed but I am trying once again to do this!!! Mine are now about halfway down my nose. On one side I can almost tuck it behind my ear, probably another week and I'll be able to. If I decide to cut them again, I am using the 2 week rule!!! :D

Anje
April 9th, 2008, 12:04 PM
Well, clips and headbands are the classic standbys. I see quite a few girls around school wearing a thin stretchy headband and a ponytail or messy bun, so you can simply hold them back like that.

Double french braids and (once they're marginally longer) regular french braids work well, and I think I remember hair rolls (http://www.dressytresses.com/hair/gallery/instruct/hair-roll/) holding my bangs well, too.

Nevermore
April 9th, 2008, 12:09 PM
If you've ever done a crown twist or something similar, you can do that with your bangs and blend them back into your longer hair that way. It looks pretty nice and doesn't take any special products or anything.

Curlsgirl
April 9th, 2008, 12:13 PM
If you've ever done a crown twist or something similar, you can do that with your bangs and blend them back into your longer hair that way. It looks pretty nice and doesn't take any special products or anything.How do I do this?

Another question too, when you clip do you clip straight back and what kind of clips look best? Sorry, I'm a hair idiot when it comes to this :shrug:

1nuitblanche
April 9th, 2008, 12:21 PM
I use butterfly clips (well, they don't have butterflies on them, but I think the original ones did), but I also use bobby pins (either two crossing each other like and X or else one put in so that it goes in the opposite direction of the twist like, as though someone standing behind me was putting it in with the open part then facing the same direction as me). You just take a section, say 1" or 2" of bangs at your forehead and then twist it back, adding a little more longer hair as you go until say 3" from your forehead, you decide to clip it in place. Then you can do a bunch of sections like this so that all the bangs are back and hidden by the longer hair you twisted with them. I've been writing in French all afternoon, so I hope that I'm making sense in English... :-S

Curlsgirl
April 9th, 2008, 12:30 PM
I use butterfly clips (well, they don't have butterflies on them, but I think the original ones did), but I also use bobby pins (either two crossing each other like and X or else one put in so that it goes in the opposite direction of the twist like, as though someone standing behind me was putting it in with the open part then facing the same direction as me). You just take a section, say 1" or 2" of bangs at your forehead and then twist it back, adding a little more longer hair as you go until say 3" from your forehead, you decide to clip it in place. Then you can do a bunch of sections like this so that all the bangs are back and hidden by the longer hair you twisted with them. I've been writing in French all afternoon, so I hope that I'm making sense in English... :-SYes that makes sense and I like the idea!

Shell
April 9th, 2008, 12:32 PM
Use the Curly Girl clipping method for air drying hair, and then just comb them back into your hair. This saved me when I was growing out bangs. I don't really do headbands or barrettes, they just don't work for me.

Don't cut the evil things anymore :twisted:

Curlsgirl
April 9th, 2008, 12:37 PM
Use the Curly Girl clipping method for air drying hair, and then just comb them back into your hair. This saved me when I was growing out bangs. I don't really do headbands or barrettes, they just don't work for me.

Don't cut the evil things anymore :twisted:

Thanks Shell! I have done that before. It does work pretty well. I could always clip them back if they fall back down or look wonky. I sure hope I can do it this time!

Druid of Alba
April 9th, 2008, 02:22 PM
Curlsgirl, I am in the same situation as you, except for the fact that ALL of my hair is quite short, not just my bangs. So, anyway, you are lucky to have long hair, because you can kind of "work" your bangs into the rest of your hair, if it is pulled back in a bun/braid. You just need to push the bangs underneath the long hair, and it should stay! Nobody will be able to notice, and it will look like you have no bangs! I know you may not like this suggestion (its coming from a 15 year old, lol), but you COULD just stuff it all up in a hat like me :p. Anyway, good luck, and I hope you enjoy having long bangs! :)

birthmarkie
April 9th, 2008, 02:37 PM
When growing out bangs, I parted my hair on one side and swept all of the bangs to the other side. I tucked them underneath the rest of my hair and clipped them there tightly with a snap clip (the v-shaped ones). No one could tell I even had any bangs. You really only have to grow to mid-ear and then you can tuck them behind your ears. HTH?

spidermom
April 9th, 2008, 02:40 PM
1) Comb hair smoothly. Separate hair going from back of ear over across top of head to back of ear on the other side. Add styling gel or aloe vera gel for hold.
2) Start above one ear, divide hair into three strands -- front (face side), middle, back.
3) Cross front under middle.
4) Cross back under middle.
5) Add hair to front, cross under middle.
6) Cross back under middle.

Repeat step #5, then step #6, until you get to the other side. Pin the braid down with crossed decorative bobby pins or a barette and leave ends unbound. Or braid all the way to ends and tie off as a side accent braid.

Use pomade to smooth individual sticky-ups down.

JKRBeloved
April 9th, 2008, 03:39 PM
Use the Curly Girl clipping method for air drying hair, and then just comb them back into your hair.

This is exactly what I do. I keep my bangs trimmed to just a little longer than I could truly wear them down as bangs, because I like the extra softness they give my face as a little tentril or two escapes. I just air dry and intertwine them with side and top curls... however they want to go that day.

Curlsgirl
April 9th, 2008, 05:05 PM
Thanks!!! I bought some really comfy headbands today. They're skinny and holding very well at the moment. This will be great for sometimes if it works!

Katze
April 10th, 2008, 02:21 AM
headbands are great for the days when my long bangs look bad.

The twist-and-clip-back look is, for me at least, very flattering, is fashionable at the moment so I feel younger and less frumpy, and can be done to achieve a lot of very different looks very quickly. I can go from sleek to retro-pompadour just by placing the bobby pins differently. Two of the long bobby pins, crossed in an X, hold all day, and this is saying something for my hair!

hope this helps, let us know what you decide...

Katze

Curlsgirl
April 10th, 2008, 06:24 AM
Thanks all for the ideas! I ended up doing a CWC last night and just clipping the bangs back on each side to dry. This morning they looked pretty good actually without doing anything do them. When I took the clips out the bangs just blended in. I tried the headband but it is not really very flattering on me I don't think and it also starting hurting pretty quickly. I put one side of my hair behind my ear and then the bangs sort of blended in. It's helps having wurly crazy hair for sure! Who knows what it will look like tomorrow! I did bring some clips and pins for later if I need them. I still feel naked with this huge bare forehead though but discovered I have a tiny widow's peak which I love. When I kept my hair light blond I never knew it. Now it's darker and shows a bit, just a tiny bit of one. That cheered me up!

Loviatar
April 10th, 2008, 06:35 AM
Another bang-grower-outer here.

I put aloe gel on my wet bangs, then comb them back. Once the gel has dried, kinda 'solid' and crunchy, I brush the bangs back and through with my Denman D5.

The bangs are swept back, the aloe gel is softened, and they stay out of my face all day. (Currently they are eye length. I dont really do clips or hairbands, they interfere with my glasses.)

Curlsgirl
May 12th, 2008, 03:08 PM
Bumping for more ideas!

I am still growing! Currently I am mostly clipping them back with either those little bendy clips or little tiny claw clips. I think they MAY be long enough to blend in a french braid if I start on top of my head. That will be nice for the beach next week!

Katurday
May 12th, 2008, 03:16 PM
Well, since you have long hair, you could always try braiding them back into your hair.
I mostly pull them back in a head band and with small clips. My bangs are mid eye so they're pretty much a hazard right now.

Nevermore
May 12th, 2008, 03:31 PM
Oy! I'm sorry, I never checked back here! You do it like this http://www.dressytresses.com/hair/gallery/instruct/crown-roll/ and when I did it often, I used metal barrettes because it was all I had, clipping roll to my scalp hair once it looked "right" to me, which was usually above my ears, at whatever height looked pretty to me. If you do it right, your bangs, no matter how short, should stay in the roll, no matter how far you decide to do it, as long as the amount of twist in it is right.

Curlsgirl
May 13th, 2008, 07:10 AM
Thanks!!!!!!! I LOVE THAT! I hope I can do it!