PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone have tips on parting hair down the middle back to the nape of the neck?

Laurel32
June 13th, 2009, 09:09 AM
When ever I try to double french braid I always have trouble parting my hair evenly with a straight parting line.

Does anyone have suggestions or tips on how to do this? Thank you!:)

Carolyn
June 13th, 2009, 09:15 AM
I detangle and comb/brush my hair well and then use the finger nail on my index finger to part it. I sometimes have had to do it over a time or two.

Michele
June 13th, 2009, 09:29 AM
When i want my part to be really precise, i use the end of a rat tail comb :).

Shermie Girl
June 13th, 2009, 11:05 AM
I was taught to comb my hair smooth and, starting at the tip of my nose, run my comb up and over, holding the line and parting my hair all the way to my nape. It works pretty well. Sometimes I have to do it a couple of times to get a part I am completely happy with but it is easy. :D

lizzyjo
June 13th, 2009, 11:27 AM
I part the top of my head first with the end of the comb. Then, I part the back. I concentrate on making sure that I feel the comb exactly in the center of my head.

Periwinkle
June 13th, 2009, 11:31 AM
You can try using a hairstick to part the hair: start at your nose, run it up and over your head and then use it to move one half of the hair.

You can check the parting before you start braiding by making pigtails (which only takes a moment) and looking in the mirror.

coppercurls
June 13th, 2009, 02:42 PM
I was taught to comb my hair smooth and, starting at the tip of my nose, run my comb up and over, holding the line and parting my hair all the way to my nape. It works pretty well. Sometimes I have to do it a couple of times to get a part I am completely happy with but it is easy. :D

That's how I was taught to do a part too. I always did with a ratail comb.

Merlin
June 13th, 2009, 03:14 PM
My wife pretty much never wears her hair in two braids or bunches and apparently never did when she was a child - but on the rare occasions she does she seems to be able to split it accurately and effortlessly despite almost no practice. This has led me to believe it's like rolling your tongue up or growing African Violets: you either can do it or not :cheese:

manderly
June 13th, 2009, 03:48 PM
I actually do this better with just my hands than with a comb.

I place the base of my palms against my head and touch my middle knuckles together (the joint between my fingertip and the joint that connects my fingers to my hand). Then, centering my fingertips on my head, I start moving my hands down my head using a scratching motion with my fingers, separating my hair and creating a part.

Hope I explained that well :)

Nevermore
June 13th, 2009, 05:06 PM
I use a narrow knitting needle and two mirrors, set up facing eachother so I can see what I'm doing. More often, I do a zigzag part because it hides any slight unevenness.

Also, part of all it in one swoop if possible.

Roseate
June 13th, 2009, 06:19 PM
This has led me to believe it's like rolling your tongue up or growing African Violets: you either can do it or not.

I believe it! I can't do it straight on the back to save my life, but I know people who can do it with one sweep of a comb, no mirror, no problem.

Ash
June 13th, 2009, 09:11 PM
I keep a center part on the top of my head anyway, but to part the back, I use both hands to go down the back of my head and the fingernails to make the part. If I want to make doubly certain the part is straight, I then take my parted hair forward over my shoulders and using a hand mirror to look behind me in the bathroom mirror, I then comb any stray areas into place.