PDA

View Full Version : Simple styles that get big comments

rhysiana
June 12th, 2009, 01:15 PM
Have you ever noticed that you have done something to your hair that you thought of as extremely easy/simple, and suddenly you start getting way more compliments on it than when you do something actually complicated?

Example 1: A couple days ago, I got bored while watching TV in the evening, and put in a little accent braid just to the side of my part. I have since added two more. These are just simple 3-strand braids. I have gotten comments and compliments everywhere since then. I grant you, some of them are from the guys at the karate school who all just shaved their heads for the summer, but still. Does it look that unusual?

Example 2: I got several utterly amazed compliments on having done a cinnamon bun. And there I was feeling lazy for not having thought of something more interesting to do with my hair on those days.

What styles do you find this happening with?

Hay22
June 12th, 2009, 01:30 PM
It's always amazing when guys notice hair, huh?

I usually just wear my hair down or in a ponytail for work, but a couple of weeks ago I was feeling particularly lazy one day and left my hair pulled back in the half ponytail/half bun style (you know, when you start to make a ponytail, but don't pull it through all the way) I had slept in. There were wispies all over the place. One of my coworkers said, "I love your hair today! It's very soft and pretty." No sarcasm. I was shocked.

Kristen_Marie
June 12th, 2009, 01:31 PM
I haven't ever noticed this - but I rarely get comments on my hair when I have it up. (Granted, up for me, 'up' means a simple rope braid or a messy bun, lol) Most comments come when my hair is down and even then it's mostly just to say "Wow, you have long hair."

That being said, I believe intricacy in hair styles is lost on people who don't know how to/don't do their own hair.

*snicker*

heidihug
June 12th, 2009, 01:31 PM
French braids. Because they show off length, and because most people can't do them - at least that's what they claim. But 85 % of the people I know have hair no longer than shoulder-length, so no wonder they don't know how to braid!

Renbirde
June 12th, 2009, 01:33 PM
An English braid tied with a ribbon. That might be because most people don't know how to get ribbons to stay in their hair, though. *shrugs*

When I leave it down! (hee hee)

earthdancer
June 12th, 2009, 01:34 PM
I have had the same experience putting in an accent braid; someone told me it looked like I spent a lot of time doing it! I was dumbfounded, but there you are.

rhysiana
June 12th, 2009, 01:40 PM
... I believe intricacy in hair styles is lost on people who don't know how to/don't do their own hair.

*snicker*

So true. At least it makes them easy to fool with the easy ones!

Kristen_Marie
June 12th, 2009, 01:43 PM
So true. At least it makes them easy to fool with the easy ones!

Oh yeah, I agree with that one! Though, I can imagine it is more disappointing when you get ten comments for a braid - while the next day you do some extravagant updo that doesn't get a second glance. *grumble*

Oh well, that's life!

rhysiana
June 12th, 2009, 01:47 PM
Oh yeah, I agree with that one! Though, I can imagine it is more disappointing when you get ten comments for a braid - while the next day you do some extravagant updo that doesn't get a second glance. *grumble*

Oh well, that's life!

That's what my husband is for. "I just did this really awesome thing with my hair. Admire it!" Fortunately, he likes my hair, so he is very tolerant.

Kristen_Marie
June 12th, 2009, 01:54 PM
That's what my husband is for. "I just did this really awesome thing with my hair. Admire it!" Fortunately, he likes my hair, so he is very tolerant.

That works! As for myself (I've decided that I don't want to get involved in a romantic way with anyone, no dating, don't want to get married, etc. etc.) I am fine with admiring my hair for myself. I do admit, if there is one vanity I have it is my hair. Though I try not to let it get too crazy. :o

My precious...

getoffmyskittle
June 12th, 2009, 01:57 PM
It happens to me when I tie my hair in a knot! :lol: I'm always like "um... thaaanks!" :grin:

rhysiana
June 12th, 2009, 01:58 PM
That works! As for myself (I've decided that I don't want to get involved in a romantic way with anyone, no dating, don't want to get married, etc. etc.) I am fine with admiring my hair for myself. I do admit, if there is one vanity I have it is my hair. Though I try not to let it get too crazy. :o

My precious...

To be fair, I do it to my parents, too, if I happen to be visiting them. (I usually have time to experiment on the weekends, and am therefore more likely to see them.) My mom is halfway interested, and my dad just says, "Uh-huh. Very nice." And of course, if all of my friends weren't scattered around the country/globe and only available electronically, I'd demand validation from them, too. Alas, I am generally too lazy with a camera to post pictures and make demands that way.

Of course, there's always this forum!

rhysiana
June 12th, 2009, 01:59 PM
It happens to me when I tie my hair in a knot! :lol: I'm always like "um... thaaanks!" :grin:

I'd be impressed by that! I can't get my hair to stay in a knot. The curse of stubbornly straight hair.

Kristen_Marie
June 12th, 2009, 02:10 PM
To be fair, I do it to my parents, too, if I happen to be visiting them. (I usually have time to experiment on the weekends, and am therefore more likely to see them.) My mom is halfway interested, and my dad just says, "Uh-huh. Very nice." And of course, if all of my friends weren't scattered around the country/globe and only available electronically, I'd demand validation from them, too. Alas, I am generally too lazy with a camera to post pictures and make demands that way.

Of course, there's always this forum!

Oh, well that's true. I've demanded comments from the fam before, and once from a friend (the only one left around here after high school and college!). Then there *is* this forum. Everyone here is so very kind in giving compliments on hair. It is a wonderful place for confidence and the gaining of hair wisdom. There are SO many people I look up to here.

getoffmyskittle: I'm impressed you can tie your hair in a knot! I can't get mine to do that, no matter how hard I try.

I suppose that's another thing to think about - just because something is difficult for one person might not mean it is for the next. Same goes for simplicity. A person who raves about a bun might be helpless at them, but otherwise fantastic at braids!

viking_quest
June 12th, 2009, 02:13 PM
I would always get compliments when I first learned how to braid, now I get none.

ilandree
June 12th, 2009, 02:25 PM
I always get a good many compliments when I pull my hair back in multiple hair bands like bikers do. I space them a fist length apart and use only very thin all black bands, but everyone seems to always love it. Go figure.

nowxisxforever
June 12th, 2009, 02:32 PM

I get that too, when I'm putting my hair up in a knot after it's worked its way loose. "Did you just...tie your hair...in a knot?" Errr, yes? xD

rhysiana
June 12th, 2009, 02:43 PM
I always get a good many compliments when I pull my hair back in multiple hair bands like bikers do. I space them a fist length apart and use only very thin all black bands, but everyone seems to always love it. Go figure.

I've gotten that, too. I haven't done that one in a while. I used to do it a lot when I was much younger, because I hadn't figured out how to braid and that much at least I could do on my own!

rhosyn_du
June 12th, 2009, 03:31 PM
Double anything. No one has ever commented on a single french twist or bee-butt bun, for example, but if I'm wearing two at the same time? It's somehow amazing. I find it a little baffling, but I appreciate the compliments.

Natalia
June 12th, 2009, 03:50 PM
I get that all the time when i do a topsy tail thing where you pull your hair through itself. Other than that i usually dont get hair compliments. One time on braid waves and a few other random ones.

Wind
June 12th, 2009, 03:58 PM
French braids. Because they show off length, and because most people can't do them - at least that's what they claim. But 85 % of the people I know have hair no longer than shoulder-length, so no wonder they don't know how to braid!Well, I get the same with French braids - but there's no length to show off! I usually tuck the tail under anyways. I think it must look more intricate than it actually is. :D Oh, and my hair is only shoulder length, so most gals I know could do it, but don't have the know how.

chelssix
June 12th, 2009, 04:00 PM
Pigtails. Or pigtail buns.
Like rhosyn said, two of anything is sure to amaze. "Look everyone, she can do something TWICE!"

heidihug
June 12th, 2009, 05:16 PM
Well, I get the same with French braids - but there's no length to show off! I usually tuck the tail under anyways.
But, Wind, people don't know that you have shorter hair when you tuck the tail under - deceptive hairstyles are cool! And my SIL was flabbergasted when I commenced braiding "backwards" without a hitch. And she's had long hair once or twice in her life, and used to always braid it.

Interesting what impresses people.

Oh, and I get compliments on banded ponytails, too, ilandree. Perhaps it's because of using contrasting elastic bands that stand out against our hair? Black against blonde, and pink against brown, for example?

tarn
June 12th, 2009, 05:43 PM
My husband chucks a tantrum every time I get my hair cut - he was a great help for me to attempt to regrow my hair even before I found this community. He must be a long hair kind of guy :).
Regarding simple styles - I seem to get way more comments when I attack my hair with the straightening iron (slaps wrist and promises not to cook hair again).
That's literally all I do - run the straightener through a couple of times and you would think I had swapped heads with someone else it raises that much response!:confused: Surely my hair doesn't look that bad normally?

Flynn
June 12th, 2009, 05:52 PM
What is meant by "accent braid"?

Elphie
June 12th, 2009, 06:55 PM
I received many compliments on the oh-so-tricky side ponytail this week. Enough to make me consider wearing it a lot more often! My topsy-tail do's also seem to get a lot of attention and I usually do those when I'm short on time.

skay
June 12th, 2009, 07:10 PM
Have you ever noticed that you have done something to your hair that you thought of as extremely easy/simple, and suddenly you start getting way more compliments on it than when you do something actually complicated?

Example 1: A couple days ago, I got bored while watching TV in the evening, and put in a little accent braid just to the side of my part. I have since added two more. These are just simple 3-strand braids. I have gotten comments and compliments everywhere since then. I grant you, some of them are from the guys at the karate school who all just shaved their heads for the summer, but still. Does it look that unusual?

Example 2: I got several utterly amazed compliments on having done a cinnamon bun. And there I was feeling lazy for not having thought of something more interesting to do with my hair on those days.

What styles do you find this happening with?

Hi Rhysiana, that's cool about the accent braid. Now that I think of it, I also notice it on someone else when they wear it -- because it looks cool and is something one doesn't see that often. I bet yours looks cool, too.

I got a comment at work. I normally start my braids high on my head, wear a bun or 2 high ponytails (I was experimenting), etc. but one day I decided just to do 2 low English-braids because it was fast and easy.

Co-worker (male): "You look different. Your hair looks different."

Me:

"I just made 2 braids....

<and then after some internal conflict back & forth as to whether I should say more I said>

...and I washed my hair." LOL. :D
To my pleasant surprise,

he replied: "I like it." :D

Fairlight63
June 12th, 2009, 07:32 PM
We went out to dinner tonight with a couple & she gave me a compliment on my hair. I don't usually get any compliments on my hair - so it made me feel pretty good.

It was a hairdo that I got on this forum (Cheaters hairstick bun except I used a Flexi-8). (Thank You, AngelInDisquise) You make like for a pony tail but don't pull it all the way through, then I wrapped the ends around the band, then slid a Flix-8 bar through it under the hair band through the other side. It was REAL simple but looked fancy, plus it felt real secure. I have a problem with my hair not staying up, but this didn't move at all!

rags
June 12th, 2009, 07:46 PM
What is meant by "accent braid"?

It's the very small pieces you braid just for a decorative element. I like to do one hanging down by the front of my face: tiny little things. Then you do something else with the rest of the hair.

Ummm, did that make any sense at all?

Flynn
June 12th, 2009, 09:01 PM
It's the very small pieces you braid just for a decorative element. I like to do one hanging down by the front of my face: tiny little things. Then you do something else with the rest of the hair.

Ummm, did that make any sense at all?

Yes, I think so.

Thankyou ^__^

ZaBasDa
June 12th, 2009, 10:15 PM
I get compliments on the simplest styles all the time. Like today, all I did was make a side part and take the front pieces/bang area and twist them back and secured with a bobby pin. I left the rest curly and I got so many compliments on it. But sometimes I can do a really intricate braid or updo and no one will say anything.

Naava
June 12th, 2009, 10:20 PM
Just a couple of days ago I had had my hair on a french braid for the night and in the morning I felt lazy so I just opened the braid and left my hair down. My friends were all amazed how I go through so much trouble to do my hair on a regular morning :D

Masara
June 13th, 2009, 12:35 AM
Most comments I get will be for braids. but what I find surprising is that the stlye that gets the most comments is always a simple braided bun.

Just yesterday, some pupils were going on about the "twisty bun thing" that I had had the day before (I'd had to readjust the stick and they'd noticed) and the one very long haired pupil there was saying "it's a braid and then you twist it it round" and we were sharing a shrug about how they could be raving about something so simple.

JamieLeigh
June 13th, 2009, 12:41 AM
The first time I went out in public with an infinity bun, I got several positive comments. ("How did you do that?" "Is it really only held up by one stick? Surely your hair is too heavy for that!") And I get a lot of compliments on regular old ponytails and braids, probably because the length is unusual around here. :pinktongue:

Debra83
June 13th, 2009, 12:47 AM
Last week, on two different days, I wore twin braids coming forward from behind my ears, and WOW did I get complimented! Never would have dreamed it, and actually thought that someone was going to say something meanish. (I work with 30 women, and 1 guy AND serve many clients who are quite at ease at telling me their preferences concerning my anythings. (I've known many of them for 7 years).

hellkitty
June 13th, 2009, 07:42 AM
My friends were all amazed how I go through so much trouble to do my hair on a regular morning :D

Anyone who makes that last comment shows their youth. I remember the 80s when it took *forever* to do the whole 'wall of bangs', backcombed, flattened, and sprayed to complete flammability. Crunchy! (My hair probably thanked me that I didn't have the energy to do that more than once a week!)

And judging from my students who should, every single one of them, I think, be arrested on charges of flatiron abuse, they also seem to spend a long time on their hair. Much less their makeup!

Me? If it takes longer than five minutes to do, I ain't doin' it. Thankfully, that timeframe covers oodles of buns, braids and the like.

HK

natt i nord
June 13th, 2009, 07:45 AM
Oh, yes - current example. I had a Dutch braid, come in our class room in school sit down on my place in the first row. The first thing I hear: "Beautiful braid!"
Me: "Eh, thanks..."

LilyMunster
June 13th, 2009, 08:55 AM
A high pony tail into a rope braid.
Yup, on the bands down the length.
And on the side braids.
Real stunners.

fishwich
June 13th, 2009, 11:13 AM
A Dutch braid gets all kinds of attention, probably because the sticky-up braid descending from the crown of my head all the way down looks impressively long.

Schnee
June 13th, 2009, 11:37 AM
A single english braid is the style that make people give me pure hair compliments. It's not a difficult hair do, but really shows off length and thickness. Unfortunately, an english braid very ofte result in strangers pulling it, mostly grown women!:rolleyes:

More intricate looking hair dos, like dutch braids pinned up in a bun, will give more hair style compliments.

AnneAdeline
June 13th, 2009, 11:52 AM
This past week I did Heidi braids -- just two English braids that I pinned over my head. I got a lot of compliments! But then I go do a crown braid with ribbon through it and not a peep.
What people notice...:rolleyes:

Runzel
June 13th, 2009, 02:52 PM
An English braid tied with a ribbon. That might be because most people don't know how to get ribbons to stay in their hair, though. *shrugs*

How do you get ribbons to stay in your hair? :rolleyes:

rags
June 13th, 2009, 05:07 PM
I have to chime in with the French braid crowd. Just a plain, simple old French braid gets me more comments than anything.

Renbirde
June 13th, 2009, 05:48 PM
Take a length of ribbon and find the middle. Do your braid, but pause a few crosses above the final length (where you want to tie it). The farther up you start the ribbon, the less it will slip. Lay the ribbon across 'behind' the braid, so it lays with the hair in your outside strands. Braid the rest, ignoring the ribbon. Stop when the ribbon strands come to the outside again. Dig the ribbon ends out of your hair and wrap them in either direction around the braid. You can use a few overhand knots to make it more secure. Tie the ends in a bow. Ta Da! :D

(Did that make sense?)

It doesn't work with ponies, and I think you would have to start the ribbon at the very top of a rope braid... but it works well in the 3 and 4 strand braids I've tried. It holds like a rock if you use leather lacing (the thin pliable stuff, not shoelace weight) instead of ribbon. :cool:

Coriander
June 13th, 2009, 06:05 PM
When I do a very simple bun held by a Ficcare, that is when I receive the most compliments.

After that, it's either a Dutch braid or two side English braids.

windinherhair
June 13th, 2009, 06:12 PM
The other day at work there was a lady that made a comment on my french braid that I had tucked under. I placed an "EZ comb" around it just for looks. She said something like "really fancy!" I guess it can look like a lot of work goes into making it, but I have had a lot of practice. :)

chelssix
June 13th, 2009, 08:46 PM
I think I am going to have to add "just a single braid". That is how I wore mine today, and I feel like I got a lot of side-glances (and one guy who kept smiling at me)!

Flynn
June 13th, 2009, 09:55 PM

Make sure they are nice and long. Find the middle. Tie them onto a ponytail elastic. Use elastic as normal. Wrap tightly around the elastic so you can't tell it is there, or that the ribbon is tied on. Knot, make a bow, pretend it's all held with the ribbon. >_o

(I went to a school where we had to wear ribbons.)

terriej
June 13th, 2009, 10:09 PM
When I put my hair in a low pony tail and then make two rope braids and then rope braid the two into one big rope braid, people are very awed and amazed, they want to know how it's done. It's easy to do, but hard to explain if the person doesn't know what a rope braid is.

Runzel
June 14th, 2009, 01:03 AM
Take a length of ribbon and find the middle. Do your braid, but pause a few crosses above the final length (where you want to tie it). The farther up you start the ribbon, the less it will slip. Lay the ribbon across 'behind' the braid, so it lays with the hair in your outside strands. Braid the rest, ignoring the ribbon. Stop when the ribbon strands come to the outside again. Dig the ribbon ends out of your hair and wrap them in either direction around the braid. You can use a few overhead knots to make it more secure. Tie the ends in a bow. Ta Da! :D

(Did that make sense?)

It doesn't work with ponies, and I think you would have to start the ribbon at the very top of a rope braid... but it works well in the 3 and 4 strand braids I've tried. It holds like a rock if you use leather lacing (the thin pliable stiff, not shoelace weight) instead of ribbon. :cool:

Ah, thank you. Since I cannot do any elastic this information will be very valuable!

So is the ribbon visible further up in the braid or is it completely hidden by hair?

To contribute to the topic of the thread, pigtail braids in front of my shoulders never fails to raise a comment.

Renbirde
June 14th, 2009, 01:25 AM
Ah, thank you. Since I cannot do any elastic this information will be very valuable!

So is the ribbon visible further up in the braid or is it completely hidden by hair?
Um. It's usually visible, but I think that if you took some extra time to 'bury' the ribbon in the middle of the strand of hair, it wouldn't show except at the very start (where it streches between the strands) and the end.

I never tried hiding them, so I don't really know. I like bright colors, and this is an easy way to get them all through my hair. :o

Kristine
June 30th, 2009, 02:49 AM
The braided chinese bun is the hairstyle I get most compliments for. If not the simplest hairstyle, it is still very easy to do :)

Elanor
June 30th, 2009, 03:24 AM
I always get compliments for a sock bun. I guess it looks more complicated than it is; my friend told me she couldn't figure out how I could make my hair stay in such a perfect, sleek shape, until I showed her the donut :D

A dutch braid gets compliments too and people often say something like "Hey, that's like a reverse French braid, pretty!"

Jezzie
June 30th, 2009, 06:51 AM
My hair was annoying me yesterday because it was all over the place wavy so i twisted it up and stuck a stick in it before going to work. I got all these compliments from co-workers and yet all I'd done was shove it up, no thought into it at all! It did have a cool colour thing happening though, my hair has lots of blonde and brown all through it due to chlorine damage and i managed to get 2 blonde strips that looked like they were wrapping into each other around the bun - maybe that's what they liked?

Jezzie
June 30th, 2009, 06:53 AM
I always get compliments for a sock bun. I guess it looks more complicated than it is; my friend told me she couldn't figure out how I could make my hair stay in such a perfect, sleek shape, until I showed her the donut :D

A dutch braid gets compliments too and people often say something like "Hey, that's like a reverse French braid, pretty!"

I used to be amazed with sock buns like totally dumbfounded, until I found torrinpaige's tutorial on youtube - then i was like "wow thats so easy I can do it!"

Maud
June 30th, 2009, 08:30 AM
i always get really nice comments when i have my hair in a messy bun, even boys in my class like it. people always think it's really hard to do and they think it took me a long time to make it while it only takes me about five minutes XD

ZadenWillowfyre
June 30th, 2009, 08:42 AM
Mainly with accent braids as you and a fiew others have expressed. I love doing them too!

TheMechaGinger
December 24th, 2013, 12:02 AM
I got leather pigtail holders recently and the first time I wore them out I got a million comments on them. All you have to do is lace them up and they're just plain old pigtails.

redtuss
December 24th, 2013, 01:07 AM
Heidi braids! :D :D :D

I had this for work once and got lots of compliments and was asked how long that took me in the morning - "well.. 2 minutes perhaps?" and minds were blown ;) No but really, I had just pinned my sleep braids so it was such a simple style but looks very polished and "hard".
After that they concluded that I must sleep like a geisha or someone from Dallas: waking up to a perfectly placed ray of sun, in full make-up, perfect hair and with a flowery summer-breeze that makes my hair move just a tiny bit..

Yeaaaah.. anyhow - on topic Heidi braids! :D