PDA

View Full Version : Question about CO and gel

liseling
June 12th, 2009, 10:32 AM
I CO now and for definition I use conditioner. I stopped using gel about the same time I stopped shampooing every wash.

I was wondering: does anyone use gel who also primarily COs and shampoos very rarely (I'm talking less than once a month or so)? Does the conditioner get the gel out or do you really need shampoo for that?

PS I'm not talking about gel with silicones - obviously you'd need shampoo to get the silicones out in that case.

GlassEyes
June 12th, 2009, 10:33 AM
I use gel. Conditioner does fine, as long as it doesn't contain wax. L.A. looks worked fine for me for a llong time, but I ditched it because of protein content. Used it with CO to no problems.

Kirin
June 12th, 2009, 10:40 AM
I agree with glass eyes, though I no longer CO when I did I often used gel and mousse, no problem getting those out. Again as long as they don't contain silicones or wax.

liseling
June 12th, 2009, 11:55 AM
wow awesome - maybe I can experiment with it again. Do you ever mix gel and conditioner together as a leave-in that also creates more definition?

swirlytresses
June 12th, 2009, 12:01 PM
I just posted in the wurly/curly thread about this...lol. I used my Giovanni leave in (1 TBSP ?) and L.A. Looks gel (blue-strong hold-1 TBSP ?), mixed them together, applied in my hair. I always add BRHG (Biosilk rock hard gelee), about a nickel size and scrunched that in on top. Got great results. I'm going to try this with my regular conditioner and a different gel to experiment. I got great second day hair too. So far this is a winning combo for me. :)

GlassEyes
June 12th, 2009, 12:25 PM
Yep. Do it aaaall the time. Even apply more gel over it.

Roseate
June 12th, 2009, 02:39 PM
Yep, no silicone no problem. In fact, I prefer to CO gel out, as it tends to dry my hair a little and CO makes it happy again.

jera
June 12th, 2009, 02:48 PM
I CO now and for definition I use conditioner. I stopped using gel about the same time I stopped shampooing every wash.

I was wondering: does anyone use gel who also primarily COs and shampoos very rarely (I'm talking less than once a month or so)? Does the conditioner get the gel out or do you really need shampoo for that?

PS I'm not talking about gel with silicones - obviously you'd need shampoo to get the silicones out in that case.

I use the tiniest bit of gel daily, only on the front of my hair. The CO washes get it all out just fine. The gel is alcohol free and water soluable. You should be okay with gels and CO washes. :D

RedButterfly
June 12th, 2009, 04:08 PM
Yes, I agree with the others. You can use cone-free gels such as LA Looks, while on a CO routine. I alternate between La Looks Mega Gel, La Looks Mega Mega Gel and La Looks Sports Gel.

liseling
June 12th, 2009, 04:39 PM
This is very fascinating - I'm becoming aware of all sorts of gel possibilities that I was never aware of! :cheese:

Cool so I think I'll go out and get some LA looks at least and try it out for myself!

So I'm guessing that when you mix conditioner and gel it gives you more definition than just conditioner but no crunchiness? The reason I stopped using gel was because I didnt like how it made my curls hard and.... shrunken.. for lack of a better word. I like soft fat curls rather than hard skinny ones. :p

KateMcC
June 12th, 2009, 08:15 PM
I CO -- at one point I went 2 years without shampoo. I also use Aloe Vera Gel to help fight the halo/frizzy stuff. The right conditioner (I was 'cone free) will do the trick.

GlassEyes
June 12th, 2009, 09:43 PM
If it gets crunchy you can scrunch it out to get softness again.

swirlytresses
June 12th, 2009, 09:57 PM
Another pretty reasonably priced gel is Biotera (sally's brand). This is one of my favorites....also the L.A. Looks sports gel, Flaxseed/aloe gel...just to name a few. :)

liseling
June 13th, 2009, 12:02 PM
I'll have to do some shopping around for gels, so thanks for any brand suggestions (or which ones not to get). I know about scrunching out the crunch, but this works with some gels easier than others I think.
Other than avoiding silicones/waxes in gels, are there any other gel ingredients I should avoid in general or mixing with conditioner?

concrescence
June 13th, 2009, 12:10 PM
I CO and recently discovered that my hair is a lot wavier than I thought it was. I'm really trying to learn to like my air-dried texture, so I bought some cone-free Alverde brand gel, and will try a bit of that mixed with a little conditioner for styling tomorrow.