PDA

View Full Version : I fail at trimming. Waah. :(

Locksmith
June 12th, 2009, 10:29 AM
Gahh. So, after FINALLY getting back to waist-length, I got fed up of the bottom of my hair looking shaggy at the back due to long layer not-quite-grown-out, and decided to trim it. Lost three inches (inevitable really) and the hemline still doesn't look even. :( I think I may have to visit a hairdresser. Do not want. :(

SHELIAANN1969
June 12th, 2009, 10:34 AM
Maybe you can have someone help even it up for you?

liseling
June 12th, 2009, 10:35 AM
Did you Feye trim? If not, you could try that...

Locksmith
June 12th, 2009, 10:42 AM
Did you Feye trim? If not, you could try that...

I did, yes, but it's still uneven. :\ I've never been good at this sort of thing. :( Suspect I will have to go to hairdresser and emphasise ABSOLUTE MINIMUM PLEASE...) I'm sure as heck not letting my family anywhere near it! :p

MsBubbles
June 12th, 2009, 11:24 AM
How is it uneven - is it diagonally lopsided, or is it just up and down all the way across?

I have found the longer my hair got and the wider my hemline became (less "V", more "___"), the harder it was to trim it straight. I see you have pin straight hair like me.

I don't have any suggestions other than looking up the most recent self-trim threads where Feye herself jumped in and helped.

Sarah4983
June 12th, 2009, 12:21 PM
ooo self trimming scares me. I don't trust myself.

I had my mom trim about a half an inch a couple months ago to make the hemline even, but that's it for a while since I joined the no trimming club :)

Darkhorse1
June 12th, 2009, 12:25 PM
I find if you have any sort of wave in your hair, self trimming is really hard. I tried it 1 time and my hair dresser said it was uneven. My hair dresser has a mark on her comb as to what an inch is, so maybe do that? Go into a hair dresser with the measurement so that don't cut more than that? Hugs to you!

LaurelSpring
June 12th, 2009, 12:45 PM
I am also a self trimming drop out. I could not get the Feyes method to work for me and I did the same thing. I caught myself continuing to even out and realized that I had to put the scissors down immediately. Now I just dust the bits off my tassle. That is about as extensive of a self trim as I get. I do ok with fringe but I can see that.

GlennaGirl
June 12th, 2009, 12:56 PM
As a fellow 1a (whenever you see any wave or body at all in my hair in a pic here, it's either bun or braid waves) I can say that it is VERY hard to make the hem look even, simply because straight hair will show every tiny foible.

Can you have a friend help you?

Would you like to post a pic? Maybe it looks just great and you're being self-critical. :)

demitasse
June 12th, 2009, 01:12 PM
If I go to a hairdresser for a trim, I prefer using my fingers as measurement rather than saying "an inch or a half-inch." Despite being a standard measurement, some people have awfully different ideas what constitutes "one inch." I hold up my fingers and have her/him match it and show it to me on my hair. That way we both understand how much is being cut off and no one feels badly.

liseling
June 12th, 2009, 04:48 PM
I'm sorry to hear that... I did a Feye self trim a few weeks ago and trimmed one side less than the other. It looked lopsided, of course, so I just went back and trimmed the longer side to match the shorter side.

Maybe you could try doing this if the problem is just that one side is longer than the other? I would totally understand if you're too freaked out by now to try it though!

Tap Dancer
June 12th, 2009, 04:58 PM
I was always good at trimming my bangs, but there's no way I'll ever trim the length. I have a great hairdresser who cuts my hair. Do you have a close friend who can help you?

Flynn
June 12th, 2009, 05:07 PM
I did, yes, but it's still uneven. :\ I've never been good at this sort of thing. :( Suspect I will have to go to hairdresser and emphasise ABSOLUTE MINIMUM PLEASE...) I'm sure as heck not letting my family anywhere near it! :p

If all it needs is evening up, forget the hairdresser and go to the barber. They can handle nice neat, layer-free hemlines, and I have yet to meet one who won't understand and stick to a request of "absolute minimum please; I only need it evened up." I don't know if I'd go to them if I wanted layers, but for the sort of "simple" hemlines that are popular here, I have always found them to be absolutely wonderful.

tarn
June 12th, 2009, 06:01 PM
A Barber sounds like a good option.
At least if you go to a professional they usually have great scissors compared to our home jobs. I once got my Mum to trim my hair with home hair scissors and ended up with the worst split ends I have ever had. Now I just get the professionals to cut it/trim it when I get the itch, and I actually don't have any split ends that I can find!