PDA

View Full Version : Grrrrr.... no cones question

Sarah4983
June 12th, 2009, 09:17 AM
My hair is dry and wiry since going coneless last week.:mad:

I wasn't aware until yesterday that I was supposed to clarify before going coneless.....

So please explain. I have read sulphate shampoo, and clarifying shampoo... are these the same thing? I can make a run to walgreens later, any suggestions on a cheap shampoo to get for this?

thanks!

rags
June 12th, 2009, 09:36 AM
You can get any cheap shampoo which has SLS and doesn't contain cones. Suave and V05 both have a cheap one that says clarifying (sorry, I don't use them so I can't remember the exact name). I like the herbal essences degunkify, myself.

GlassEyes
June 12th, 2009, 09:41 AM
Any SLS shampoo without cones will work.

Gothic Lolita
June 12th, 2009, 09:46 AM
Yes, just buy a cheapo shampoo from Suave or V05. I don't know wether none of their shampoos contain no cones, so you might want to check beforehand.
There are some shampoos labelled "clarifying" in the stores, but that doesn't mean they contain no cones. I once found one that had them, it only had more tensides than other stuff.

kdaniels8811
June 12th, 2009, 10:51 AM
Just a note of caution - I clarified last week and conditioned but my hair was still really dry so I ended up doing an SMT. My hair is back to it's normal soft, shiny length.

BTW, SMT is Snowy's Moisture Treatment. There are recipies in the articles section. Really easy to make and use and is very effective! I try to do it at least twice a month but especially after clarifying. Good luck!

Sarah4983
June 12th, 2009, 11:22 AM
I went to Walgreens, saw nothing. Suave's clarifying was there but it has cones in the ingredients... so I didnt know...

so I went to Walmart and the ONLY thing I saw was herbal essences "drama clean" shampoo... it is the green one with berry tea and orange flower.... i dont see cones listed in the ingredients and the first 2 listed are "sodium laureth sulfate and sodium laurel sulfate....but I"m new to all this so idk.
Maybe I got the wrong thing.

Kirin
June 12th, 2009, 11:44 AM
I went to Walgreens, saw nothing. Suave's clarifying was there but it has cones in the ingredients... so I didnt know...

so I went to Walmart and the ONLY thing I saw was herbal essences "drama clean" shampoo... it is the green one with berry tea and orange flower.... i dont see cones listed in the ingredients and the first 2 listed are "sodium laureth sulfate and sodium laurel sulfate....but I"m new to all this so idk.
Maybe I got the wrong thing.

That shampoo will work just fine. Another good one is Neutrogena shampoo, if you ever need another alternative.

If you have been a heavy cone user before, keep in mind stripping off the cones that have been sealing your hair shaft and making the hair folicles lay down flat, may leave your hair feeling coarse, dry and rough. The shampoo itself didn't do it, that's the actual condition of your hair. You may need lots of moisture to resolve the issue.

Gothic Lolita
June 12th, 2009, 12:04 PM
Go ahead with the herbal essences stuff and make sure that you have a heavy conditioner on hand. When I clarify, and I don't even use cones, my hair drinks up everything! I slather on the heaviest conditioner I can find usually, which makes it very nice then, even nier than before clarifying.

wackyredtangles
June 12th, 2009, 12:13 PM
Could you maybe do a few oil treatments? I usually figure out how much moisture my hair needs by putting a bunch (and I mean a bunch, a good palmful) of coconut oil on my ends, braid, and sleep. If my hair has been neglected and is ultradry it'll soak up so much oil that my hair just feels nice, and not oily, and then oil again and leave it for the rest of the day. My hair doesn't like SMTs though. Then I know to pamper it for a week or so. Seems like I've had to do that a bit more since going cone free, but I never related it to that.

ETA I used an ACV rinse the first few times I went no-cone, plus a sulfate shampoo every other wash. I think the ACV is a little less drying, so perhaps that?

Sarah4983
June 12th, 2009, 12:17 PM
Thank you all SO very much!!

Kirin you are so right. wow. It's just terrible...

I'm sure the fact that I had highlights 2 years ago and then colored my hair dark every 3 months for the past year doesnt help....

yuck.

I will try SMT as recommended by kdaniels8811.

Is it possible that my hair will return to a normal and moisturized state despite all the damage that I've done to it???

Otherwise, cones for life!!! haha:cheese:

Sarah4983
June 12th, 2009, 12:23 PM
thanks wackyredtangles,
after looking up the recipe for smt i'm going to do what you said and keep doing the coconut oil for a while since I don't have honey or aloe on hand for smt...

hopefully my hair will look decent enough to wear out in public soon :(

Gothic Lolita
June 12th, 2009, 12:31 PM
If your hair isn't super damaged, it should be fine with a few good moisture treatments. You wrote that your had it highlighted, which might have led to protein loss. Your hair needs it, especially to get hold of as much moisture as possible. But before you try a protein treatment give your hair as much moisture as it wants, protein treatments tend to be drying for some.

JessTheMess
June 12th, 2009, 12:47 PM
Sarah,
your hair will become healthy, shiny and a world better. Take a look through my photo albums. It shows where my hair has come from....the straw-like yellow blonde hair a few years ago, to my half virgin, half henndigo'd hair now :) It doesn't happen over night, but in the year that I've been here, my hair is almost back to its natural state.

*minihijack*I just realized I've been here a year lol... Guess it is time for a picture thread:cheese:

earthdancer
June 12th, 2009, 12:58 PM
I started using shampoo bars a couple of months ago that are made with olive oil, joboja oil, coconut oil etc. I don't even need conditioner or oiling anymore, even though I bleach my hair lightly to brighten the tone. I was afraid the oils in the soap would make my hair look oily near my scalp (I have a really oily scalp) but that hasn't been the case at all. It's worked out great.:D

Sarah4983
June 12th, 2009, 01:28 PM
you all ROCK! Thank you again

Fractalsofhair
June 12th, 2009, 02:36 PM
The clarifying will wok fine. BTW, when going cone free, you might find you have more frizz and such. This is solved by OIL!(As cones are synthetic had to wash out without SLS oil,and hair needs oil, it takes the place of cones) I love coconut oil. Since going cone free, my hair has been pretty good compared to what it used to be. When I used cones a few days ago and had to use a harsh shampoo to get them out, my hair felt horrid! (Still feels pretty iffy.)

Sarah4983
June 14th, 2009, 01:00 PM
Wait. The Suave Naturals Shampoo I bought has the same two Laurel/Laureth sulfate ingredients listed first.

was the herbal essences "drama clean" a waste of money?!

iceyblue
June 23rd, 2009, 09:03 AM
is it okay to use Ammonium laureth sulfate w/o cones? thanks!

Firefly
June 23rd, 2009, 12:05 PM
is it okay to use Ammonium laureth sulfate w/o cones? thanks!

Absolutely. In fact, on my hair I find this works best for clarifying. YMMV though. :)

Cherry_Sprinkle
June 23rd, 2009, 12:18 PM
What I would suggest is on the day/days you clarify, do a heavy oil that night and wash as usual the next morning because it can be a little harsh on the ends. You might also try the CWC method until your hair starts feeling a little more smooth.

What I do for mine is oil heavy before going to bed with a heavy oil (like EVOO) and then in the morning shower as usual with my clarifying shampoo and deep condition, then oil and style.. but I usually wear my hair up for a while in a bun so the ends can be coated with more oil and still look presentable.

I color treat my hair and I have found that mine often lacks both protein and moisture, so I do moisture treatments as often as I can and a couple times a month do a protein treatment. HTH

iceyblue
June 23rd, 2009, 09:24 PM
Firefly: thanks!

Cherry_sprinkle : would jojoba oil work fine? think i'll not try the CWC method very soon , might be too oily for my oily scalp, will do so next time :D