PDA

View Full Version : Cure for excessive hair shedding

musk
June 12th, 2009, 07:51 AM
From experience i know how stressful hair shedding can be, and so i would like to tell you this cure i read. Recently i came across an Islamic medicine book that was written by an Egyptian scholar about 500 years ago. It is all based on natural treatments, such as foods, herbs and prayer (specific meditation). In the chapter for hair problems, subsection hair loss, he mentions boiling garlic skin in oil (does not specify), and to be rubbed into the scalp. I just wanted to mention it in case any want try it. [i am using it to fasten hair growth, but haven't noticed any increase in speed but i am shedding less than i use to].

hennaphile
June 12th, 2009, 11:22 PM
My bf's grandma did this, they're Arabic. Appearantly she grew back a bald spot, but I'm not sure the mechanics of this, I'm keen to try it!

Nevermore
June 12th, 2009, 11:36 PM
Garlic is anti-fungal and anti-bacterial and massaging it in stimulates the scalp. It's not a surprise that it works for what ails you, lol.

jera
June 13th, 2009, 01:54 AM
From experience i know how stressful hair shedding can be, and so i would like to tell you this cure i read. Recently i came across an Islamic medicine book that was written by an Egyptian scholar about 500 years ago. It is all based on natural treatments, such as foods, herbs and prayer (specific meditation). In the chapter for hair problems, subsection hair loss, he mentions boiling garlic skin in oil (does not specify), and to be rubbed into the scalp. I just wanted to mention it in case any want try it. [i am using it to fasten hair growth, but haven't noticed any increase in speed but i am shedding less than i use to].

Though I like the idea of using garlic as an anti shedding tool, ( onion juice also works so they say) wouldn't the smell defeat the purpose? :(

Do you notice your scalp smelling bad from it? Garlic is pretty pungent stuff. :poot:

musk
June 13th, 2009, 04:35 AM
Hennaphile, i also know that some use a mixture of honey and garlic/onion for bald patches, but i am glad the garlic skin oil worked for your bf's mother, it encourages me to use it more.

nevermore, yes garlic does have these properties, but garlic skin is probably chemically different from the garlic itself, and so might have other chemicals that strengthen the hair folicles. The mechanical effect of rubbing the oil too, is sure to be a main factor i'd think.

jera, suprisingly the oil of garlic skin, isn't as strong as garlic, but as i purposly left in some garlic, my oil is probably stronger smelling that would have been. I use it as a pre-washing/overnight thing, but i hope i am not becoming sensitised to the smell, as it seems to bother me less :D.

hennaphile
June 13th, 2009, 05:18 AM
Ok, so how do we do this, how does one get garlic to the scalp??

3azza
June 13th, 2009, 06:16 AM
I had my friend who was subjected to an emotional stress and she sheded like crazy and nothing fixed her hair back except for onion juice (also an arab dr prescribed it)

musk
June 13th, 2009, 09:44 AM
Hennaphile, as we use alot of garlic in cooking in our household, large bags are bought, and the galic is then put in small bags into the freezer after being put into the foodprocessor. Freezed garlic is then defrosted in the microwave as we require in the kitchen. This process leaves us with loads of galic skin which we usually though away. The last time this was done i used the skin, and as it requires alot of oil to immerse the skin it, i used basic vegetable oil to do it. I then left it in low heat, mixing it every few minutes. As i mentioned it is not strong smelling as garlic, as you really have to put the oil right under your nose to smell it. I then just poured the oil into an old glass bottle after it cooled. As the doctor in the book doesn't give detail instructions of how to use make or use the oil, this is all how i went on about making it. Maybe others would have other methods, or ideas.

3azza, a friend of our family also had major patches developing in her head, which she says were cured by a mixture of grounded onion mixed with honey. Onion and garlic are related, so they probably work in similar ways on the scalp.

musk
June 14th, 2009, 10:17 AM
I just want to add links to studies mentioned in dermatological journals showing the successful use of both garlic and onion in hair growth:

Onion juice:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12126069?ordinalpos=1&itool=EntrezSystem2.PEntrez.Pubmed.Pubmed_ResultsP anel.Pubmed_DiscoveryPanel.Pubmed_Discovery_RA&linkpos=3&log$=relatedarticles&logdbfrom=pubmed
Garlic:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17314444?ordinalpos=1&itool=EntrezSystem2.PEntrez.Pubmed.Pubmed_ResultsP anel.Pubmed_DiscoveryPanel.Pubmed_Discovery_RA&linkpos=1&log$=relatedarticles&logdbfrom=pubmed

Apparently they work because they contain sulphar or something.