PDA

View Full Version : Is this as damaging as wet combing?

Heidi_234
June 12th, 2009, 02:23 AM
When I do a deep treatment I usually wet my hair in the sink, towel dry it a bit then apply the semi-SMT goo. I do it because my hair doesn't do well when I apply it on dry hair, but it's turns out fantastic when applied on damp hair. Recently I came up with a better way of dumping my hair - I wet my wide spaced comb and run it though my hair, then wet again and comb again. I repeat it until my hair is damp then apply the SMT and bun it. It's much better then wetting, since it turns out literally damp and not wet, so there isn't too much (I hope I make sense :lol:).
Do you think that combing your hair wet is as damaging as (or more damaging than) combing wet hair? I'm curly so I don't comb my hair otherwise. Or should I go back to wetting it in the sink? :confused:

vampodrama
June 12th, 2009, 02:35 AM
Not the answer to your question, but have you tried a spritz bottle? The kind you'd .... spritz your plants with? (I don't have any plants but I somehow got this idea that plants are spritzed for some reason). It will get your hair damp, but not wet. Hairdressers use it quite a lot to moisten the hair for cutting.

Heidi_234
June 12th, 2009, 03:28 AM
Not the answer to your question, but have you tried a spritz bottle? The kind you'd .... spritz your plants with? (I don't have any plants but I somehow got this idea that plants are spritzed for some reason). It will get your hair damp, but not wet. Hairdressers use it quite a lot to moisten the hair for cutting.
I've tried that, but I'm not sure if it's the my spritz bottle, or it's my hair, it gets barely damp with it, and not evenly (so I end up with dry parts because the curly formation, where some hair is hiding inside, when I comb, the curls get undone so it spreads much more evenly).

Pegasus Marsters
June 12th, 2009, 03:52 AM
Combing wet hair is not damaging, as long as you're carefully de-tangling and not ripping through the tangles. BRUSHING wet hair on the other hand is about the worst idea in the world and will lead to breakage from hell.

Gothic Lolita
June 12th, 2009, 04:36 AM
I think it's okay as long as you're careful and don't try to rip out some tangels. Like Pegs said, combing is usually much nicer for your hair than brushing.

liseling
June 12th, 2009, 06:14 AM
could you maybe comb the water through with your fingers instead? Then you can feel where the dry parts are as well as feel if you're pulling too much. I think it's fine to comb wet hair (I do that myself after applying conditioner), but when you comb your hair wet you start with dry hair - as a fellow curly it's at least been my experience that while brushing curly hair is a no no, combing dry isnt much better and still creates a lot of tangles.

Maybe your curls respond differently than mine to dry combing - also maybe it makes a difference to have a wet comb. But I at least wouldnt run a comb through my hair while it's dry. Maybe you could try flipping your hair upside down and continually wet your hands and run them down your hair? This is how I dampen my hair.

Just for your amusement I thought I'd attach a photo of what happens to my hair when I dry comb it. :cheese:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=1504&pictureid=17853

Heidi_234
June 12th, 2009, 07:04 AM
could you maybe comb the water through with your fingers instead? Then you can feel where the dry parts are as well as feel if you're pulling too much. I think it's fine to comb wet hair (I do that myself after applying conditioner), but when you comb your hair wet you start with dry hair - as a fellow curly it's at least been my experience that while brushing curly hair is a no no, combing dry isnt much better and still creates a lot of tangles.

Maybe your curls respond differently than mine to dry combing - also maybe it makes a difference to have a wet comb. But I at least wouldnt run a comb through my hair while it's dry. Maybe you could try flipping your hair upside down and continually wet your hands and run them down your hair? This is how I dampen my hair.

Just for your amusement I thought I'd attach a photo of what happens to my hair when I dry comb it. :cheese:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=1504&pictureid=17853
The legendary BOOM :D we used to have a thread devoted to this phenomenon...
It's different when you comb with a wet comb though, instead of turning into a frizz ball, it makes your hair damp and nice (and detangled!), I even though some curlies out there might like this method to restore their day 1 curls without washing daily. My comb sit padded with shed hairs, so it holds even more water and gets my hair damp more effectively. You can try it yourself, it is nothing like combing dry curly hair. ;)

liseling
June 12th, 2009, 07:55 AM
The legendary BOOM :D we used to have a thread devoted to this phenomenon...
It's different when you comb with a wet comb though, instead of turning into a frizz ball, it makes your hair damp and nice (and detangled!), I even though some curlies out there might like this method to restore their day 1 curls without washing daily. My comb sit padded with shed hairs, so it holds even more water and gets my hair damp more effectively. You can try it yourself, it is nothing like combing dry curly hair. ;)

Cool I'll have to try it sometime. That pic actually IS from that thread :lol:
I thought I'd recycle it here because I know the feeling of dry combing... It is just NOT a good thing shudder:

Periwinkle
June 12th, 2009, 08:25 AM
It shouldn't be that damaging - plenty of members here comb wet hair anyway simply because it dries quicker. I reckon you should be fine as long as you start with hair as tangle-free as you can get it (I don't know how well you can detangle dry as I don't have curly hair, more's the pity), do it gently and use a good, probably wide-toothed (if that works for this technique) comb.

Something else I thought you could try would be to try soaking a flannel in water, then wrapping your hair in it or wiping it over until it's damp? Just a thought - that wouldn't require combing, at least for the canopy anyway.

Heidi_234
June 12th, 2009, 11:26 AM
Cool I'll have to try it sometime. That pic actually IS from that thread :lol:
I thought I'd recycle it here because I know the feeling of dry combing... It is just NOT a good thing shudder:
Ooh yeah tell me about it! But I'm happy to say that I'm past that stage, now I can comb my hair after the shower when it's dry and still it won't explode :happydance:. It would look a little ragged, but but a puffiness bomb.

It shouldn't be that damaging - plenty of members here comb wet hair anyway simply because it dries quicker. I reckon you should be fine as long as you start with hair as tangle-free as you can get it (I don't know how well you can detangle dry as I don't have curly hair, more's the pity), do it gently and use a good, probably wide-toothed (if that works for this technique) comb.

Something else I thought you could try would be to try soaking a flannel in water, then wrapping your hair in it or wiping it over until it's damp? Just a thought - that wouldn't require combing, at least for the canopy anyway.
Yeah I had some trouble with tangles. I thought I'd start combing it dry and then wet-comb it (comb it wet? comb it to wet? huh lol, new expression is in order :)). I do comb my hair after the shower when it is damp, but after the shower it's mostly tangle-free so it might be not the same.
I like thw flannel idea, I wonder if it works effectively. On the other hand, it reminds me of towel friction damage, but it's not like I'm going to rub my hair with it of course.

Nevermore
June 14th, 2009, 02:41 PM
I wet my hair with wet hands or a drenched tissue-it works better than a wet comb.